“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heckfield
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We went to Highfield for a family party at the venue. We had a great night (despite the bar being expensive), so no problem there, but in pure accommodation terms I was disappointed.

The whole place is edging towards the need for a refurbishment. It's tired....not quite dirty but certainly not pristine. I get the feeling it's running on a tight budget - understandable but is it acceptable??

Our room was "ok" though there was no soap in the bathroom, let alone shower gels etc, it wasn't very clean and the shaving light was broken.

I have stayed in much nicer rooms at cheaper hotels and I've certainly stayed in rooms at comparable hotels that are much better for what I paid at Highfield Park.

The buffet breakfast was quite good, though I did notice with some interest that the fire escape doors in the restaurant leading out to the lawns were all obstructed by some nice wooden blinds.....I wonder if they've had an inspection from the 'elf and safety police recently?!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Peter030470
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your review for other visitors, we are glad you enjoyed the family celebrations here at Highfield Park. As we have stated in previous reviews, every bedroom is different here and they are refurbished in stages at different times. I would ask please that you contact us to let us know which room you stayed in as we do not have any notifications on our current maintenance requests that any shaver lights are not working and our maintenance team have checked them all as a result of your review and all of them are working and we would obviously like to address this if there is a fault. In addition, shower gel should have been in your bedroom for you so I need to highlight this to the Housekeeping Manager that it was missing for your stay. As we are an event and conference venue rather than a hotel, the bathroom toiletries offered are not as comprehensive as you would expect in a hotel but they are never the less provided.

I would like to clarify your question of the 'fire escapes' in the large function room having wooden blinds on them and assure you that we certainly do have regular H&S inspections! As there are three permanently accessible doors to 'escape' from in the event of a fire, this covers all events of up to 120 people being in the room at one time and we are therefore permitted to leave all the wooden slatted blinds hanging at the four additional 'french' doors that open onto the terrace for all events of this size; For larger events, we elevate one of the blinds for every additional 40 guests, in accordance with the H&S guidelines. I do hope this explains the blinds being at the doors to shelter the room from the sunlight that beams in when it is shining and assures you we adhere at all times to the requirements of the H&S Executive.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I'd say this hotel is a good three star, but not four.
The main building felt quite bare and quiet. I stayed in a room in the Fir Tree Court building around the corner. The corridors were cramped and the rooms very close together. My single executive room was fine, but small. It was clean but a lot of the furniture was old and scuffed. The bed was very comfortable though.
One of my main gripes is how thin the walls are. I could literally here everything in all the rooms around me, so I was very conscious about how loud to have the TV, which isn't good in your own room. I was also woken in the night by a couple in the adjoining room having very loud sex. Not a pleasant experience!
I got a good deal and only payed £40 for one night, but would have been annoyed had I spent much more.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Thank you for your review of Highfield Park. We would be most grateful if you could contact us to let us know what led you to believe we were rated at 4 stars? Being a 'conference and event venue' and not a hotel, we do not have a star rating at all and we do tend to be quieter in school holiday times when less conferences take place which may be why the main building felt quiet.

We are sorry you were disturbed by the noise made by other guests which made your stay less enjoyable.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed in the Fir Tree Court Building on the ground floor (room 25) at De Vere Venues Highfield Park on 17-20 Feb 2014. Overall I was pretty disappointed as I have regularly stayed at De Vere Venues previously and had restful stays.

Positives:
Breakfast okay.

Negatives:
No bed side table, therefore was unable to put a drink by the bed, my glasses and telephone had to sit on the floor.
I was able to hear the movements of guesses in the room (s) above me - including them going to the toilet, their mobile ringing and alarm going off and of course their TV.
Had to get out of bed to turn the wall mounted bed light out.
Free Wifi was advertised but basically in the Lodge it was useless.

Probably would not stay at this hotel again – not in the Lodge anyway!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for reviewing your stay at Highfield Park. We are sorry you were unhappy with the facilities in your room and that you had noise issues from neighbouring guests.. These do vary throughout the bedrooms. The wi-fi we do not usually have any problems at all with so we would be grateful if you could contact us and let us know which room you stayed in so we can look into this.

Travellers are raving about these Heckfield hotels

Hungerford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We had the most amazing time at Highfield Park, the venue was spotless staff were very accommodating plenty of free tea, coffee and fruit. We had a fabulous breakfast the only gripe I would say is another friend who stayed in room 7 although a nice compact room was that the wind was whistling through the sash window and something out side banging in the wind not the staff or hotels fault as nothing could be done due to the bad weather, I myself could not have slept in that room but they were fine with that, lucky we was in the new part of the hotel our room was I think better than my fiends but on a nice summer day I would like to be in one of the main house rooms, (please bear in mind we did have 80/100 mph winds that night) and a power cut :( but that didn't bother us as we was asleep at the time, the Helicopter that landed on the Lawn the next day to take the newly Married couple away was a great end to a perfect Wedding. Would we go back to stay again then yes would be the answer. Looking to go back for a visit in the summer as there is beautiful countryside around the place to explore.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to review your experience at Highfield Park. We are really glad you all enjoyed the wedding and the dreadful storms didn't detract from such a beautiful day. The sash windows in the main building (which is listed) do occasionally blow in such strong winds unfortunately and this cannot be changed due to the regulations around replacement of windows in buildings of this historical value.

In the Fir Tree Court accommodation all the windows are new and made from UPVC so there are no issues with the wind in the annexe.

It was amazing that the helicopter was able to land despite the high winds and ended the wedding so perfectly.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We booked this direct with the hotel last minute as we needed to be in Southampton the next morning. We were going to stop in a Holiday Inn but fancied something different this time (What a mistake).

The location was perfect and the hotel itself looked great. We were welcomed with a smile and the check in process was smooth. We were staying in the Fir Tree Court which is a short walk from the main building. The building was secure and well lit. When entering our room, 118, we were immediately hit by the cold. We turned the radiator up and unpacked. We were exhausted after our 5 hour drive (M1 closed for 2 hours) so just wanted a warm drink and then to go to sleep. There was only one cup so we had to share it (It would have taken too long for someone to bring us a cup over). The radiator didn't come on so being prepared (Stayed in too many hotels now) we had an electric blanket which we fitted to warm the bed up.
The room itself was ok with the usual tired marks, painting being touched up with a different colour paint, watermarks on the ceiling and corrosion on the fittings in the bathroom. A light bulb was also missing which should be part of a checklist when the rooms are cleaned. It's not what I would expect from an upmarket hotel.

The next morning we walked over to the main building for breakfast which was superb. They even cooked us fresh pastries as the others had been eaten. There was a good selection with the buffet breakfast but not everything that was on the menu was available. It listed scrambled eggs, ham, cheese and fruit but there was none to be seen.

Would we stay here again, probably not. If we did I would make sure we got there early to allow for a change of rooms. On checkout the lady behind the desk apologised for the issues but there was no offer of a partial refund on the room.

Looks like we will be sticking with the Holiday Inn in future.

Room Tip: Make sure you get there early so you can make sure the heating is working
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry P
Thank you for your review of your stay at Highfield Park. We are sorry you experienced a problem with the heating in your room and thank you for drawing this to our attention while you were here, this problem has been resolved.

Thank you for your lovely comments about our staff and breakfast.
Dursley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is a conference centre and should not be confused with a HOTEL. We attended my sons wedding held in the beautiful St Michaels Church immediately alongside the venue and then the reception in the venue. We also stayed in the main building in a very comfortable double bedroom with ensuite bathroom. Some guests were in the annex rooms and said they were somewhat disappointing however our room was decorated in modern style with all facilities. As guests we were given a discounted rate to include an excellent breakfast. The staff were very accommodating and friendly especially "Ash" who worked hard and well to make sure the day was a success. The room looked amazing and the food served was not only plentiful but well cooked and served. This is a delightful location for a wedding or social event and I would thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Try for a room in the main house unless you have difficulty with stairs.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your review of your time with us here at Highfield Park. We are glad you had a lovely time at the wedding and everything was perfect for you.
United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I stayed here this week as it was close to a business meeting venue in Basingstoke so a good location. As always, excellent value when using one of DeVere's offers.

Upon arrival, good first impressions as the hotel is set in a small hamlet with an old church next door. The reception staff were friendly and I was given good directions to my room (in an out building by the car park).

When I got into my room, it was well equipped and modern. Yes the room was small (as others have mentioned) but since it was only me staying here, it had more than enough room. Free WiFi in the rooms is always an advantage at DeVere hotels.

Breakfast was good, a little more limited choice than other DeVere hotels but had all of the basics expected.

I do have a complaint however which I detailed on the feedback card. The walls are very thin (maybe because it's a listed building or something?) and next door has the TV on until 2.30am, not particularly loud but I could still hear every word which kept me awake. I could also hear every phone conversation he had.

Unfortunately, I was also woken by the sound of somebody on the toilet at 5.30am which was not a pleasant wake up call. This meant I didn't get the sleep I intended and would probably have had more peace sleeping in my car...

Overall though, I liked the hotel and surroundings and the staff were friendly but didn't ask how my stay was as others have reported. Apart from the thin walls, everything else was fine and I would recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Try and stay in the mansion house as I believe this may have thicker walls!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed our location. We are sorry to hear your neighbouring room created noise that disturbed you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heckfield
Warbrook House
De Vere Wokefield Estate
De Vere Wokefield Estate
#1 of 1 in Stratfield Mortimer
The Kingsley at Eversley

Been to Highfield Park? Share your experiences!