“If you like stains and mould, book here!”
Review of Highfield Park

Highfield Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heckfield
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Very little to say about this venue that you are unable to see from the pictures uploaded. Dirty rooms, mould, shabby carpets, filthy stained walls. I changed rooms but the second was not much better. Asked to change again was advised hotel is full, looked online to see the hotel still selling a range of rooms.
Complained at check out - offered a pathetic £10 off! (Because of covering their costs!!)

Positive - lovely helpful friendly staff and very nice external building and grounds.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank muswell25
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

We are obviously very concerned to read your review as the contents of this are not in keeping with the standards we aspire to here at Highfield Park. We have been through our booking system to find a guest with the name Muswell (your trip advisor name) to obtain the record of the room you stayed in but we cannot find any guest with this name or any record of being informed of your findings.

The photographs you have uploaded do not enable us to identify a room you are referring to as they are of small areas that could have been taken in any DVV property (only identifiable by the feedback card that is shown with a drink stain on - our housekeepers have strict instructions to replace all marked feedback cards, not to re-use them and we are concerned why, as you clearly found the feedback card in the property you were in as to why you did not complete it and allow us to respond to you personally rather than posting an anonymous review on this website) - Our General Manager and Maintenance Manager have been round all the bedrooms looking for where these pictures could have been taken but have been unable to find anywhere with these stains shown.

With regard to the mattress photograph, our Head Housekeeper has been instructed to check every mattress to see if she can locate the one in the photograph as all our mattresses are replaced regularly and should never get to this condition. If you have been to Highfield Park, you will be aware that all our mattresses are covered with both sheets and mattress protectors - it would be most unusual for a guest coming purely to stay the night to remove all the bedding to look at the mattress.

Regarding the £10 off - I can find one record on our system where a £10 discount was given and this was to someone who had booked a promotional rate room at £29 therefore this was reducing the stay to just £19 but again this name is not Muswell so we are unable to identity you I am afraid.

Can I please ask you to contact the General Manager of the venue before 2nd May to advise your actual name and contact details along with the date of your stay and the room number these photographs were taken in. If we do not hear from you by this time we will request Trip advisor to remove this anonymous review along with the photographs that cannot be directly linked to our venue.

Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This accommodation was booked for me by work so had little say in where I stayed. I was disappointed to find, despite it being obvious this was a booking for a lone female traveller, I was accommodated in the 'Annexe' which meant walking across a courtyard, through a car park and a short way up the drive to the main building which housed the restaurant and bar. Felt a little vulnerable to say the least. Room small but clean and comfortable, no way of operating the lights without getting out of bed and using the swtich by the door. Radiator obvioulsy not working so floor standing electric heater provided about 6 inches from the bed, fire hazzard? this was plugged in via extension lead, trip hazzard in the dark? (hence previous comment about lights). Floor boards and joists in room above creaked very loudly so was disturbed several times in the night by the guest upstairs when they went 'walk about' during the night.. Suggest replacing the huge waste bin under the desk with something smaller, this would allow the chair to be pushed in a free some floor space. Breakfasts very good, one evening meal good, steak on second night rubbish.

Room Tip: If in Annexe don't have a room with one directly above it, or go for 1st floor room yourself. If...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. Unfortunately we only have 20 bedrooms in the main house, the other 38 are located in the Fir Tree Court annexe you mention which is a two minute walk from the main house.

All of your comments have been noted and past on to the relevant team members.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here for work during the week.

First impressions are fantastic, service great. Can't give 5 stars purely because of my room. I stayed in the courtyard part. Room 13 was very small. The en-suite was probably bigger than the bedroom.

Although small, the bedroom was immaculate, with everything anyone would need. Bed was a tiny bit hard for me and a little short, but then I am 6ft 4, so not the smallest.

Food was great with either bar food or the restaurant. Breakfast was buffet style, but beautifully fresh.

All in all a great stay and certainly will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for your lovely review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Prior to your next visit, if you call reception in advance and advise them of your height, they will endeavour to allocate you a room to suit you better if at all possible as, being a 17th century property, all of our rooms are different shapes and sizes as I believe you are aware and it is really helpful to know when our guests are taller than average.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

At first impression the hotel looks of a high standard, the small gym had only the rowing machine working at the time of my visit, the restaurant and food served were very good, my room was of a high standard but the bathroom had no shower... Free wifi is available in your room and bar areas but not in the dinning room...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of Highfield Park, we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We do have two bedrooms that have a bath but no shower due to the sloping ceiling making it not possible unfortunately.

We have double checked the wi-fi in the dining room and it appears fine so we are unsure why you could not get this in there.

The 'gym' you refer to is not actually an advertised 'gym' it is purely an exercise room with three items of equipment which we put in at the request of regular conference guests. We are sorry you only found one piece in working order during your visit.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

My wife and I visited on Friday night, and had a room in the old part of the building, and - apart from it being incredibly hot in there - it met our needs very well, and had a spectacular view across open countryside. In terms of the food, however, it was nothing short of exceptional: we both enjoyed a three course meal, of the very highest quality, and had exceptionally attentive (but appropriately so) waiting staff, who made the experience quite wonderful. This was then followed by a superb cooked-breakfast on the Saturday morning, which brought our stay to a very satisfactory end. Thanks to all at the De Vere; you made us feel very welcome, and we will be back to sample your food again.

Room Tip: The 'old-house' room that we had - No.12, I think(?) - was very hot, even though the heating...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments about your stay with us, I have passed this on to the chefs and waiting staff. I am sorry you were hot in your bedroom - it is possible to open the sash window in that room to gain air into the room if you wish and our maintenance team have checked that this is working correctly, our staff are happy to assist if you need. We look forward to welcoming you back to Highfield in the future.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We went to Highfield for a family party at the venue. We had a great night (despite the bar being expensive), so no problem there, but in pure accommodation terms I was disappointed.

The whole place is edging towards the need for a refurbishment. It's tired....not quite dirty but certainly not pristine. I get the feeling it's running on a tight budget - understandable but is it acceptable??

Our room was "ok" though there was no soap in the bathroom, let alone shower gels etc, it wasn't very clean and the shaving light was broken.

I have stayed in much nicer rooms at cheaper hotels and I've certainly stayed in rooms at comparable hotels that are much better for what I paid at Highfield Park.

The buffet breakfast was quite good, though I did notice with some interest that the fire escape doors in the restaurant leading out to the lawns were all obstructed by some nice wooden blinds.....I wonder if they've had an inspection from the 'elf and safety police recently?!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Peter030470
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you for your review for other visitors, we are glad you enjoyed the family celebrations here at Highfield Park. As we have stated in previous reviews, every bedroom is different here and they are refurbished in stages at different times. I would ask please that you contact us to let us know which room you stayed in as we do not have any notifications on our current maintenance requests that any shaver lights are not working and our maintenance team have checked them all as a result of your review and all of them are working and we would obviously like to address this if there is a fault. In addition, shower gel should have been in your bedroom for you so I need to highlight this to the Housekeeping Manager that it was missing for your stay. As we are an event and conference venue rather than a hotel, the bathroom toiletries offered are not as comprehensive as you would expect in a hotel but they are never the less provided.

I would like to clarify your question of the 'fire escapes' in the large function room having wooden blinds on them and assure you that we certainly do have regular H&S inspections! As there are three permanently accessible doors to 'escape' from in the event of a fire, this covers all events of up to 120 people being in the room at one time and we are therefore permitted to leave all the wooden slatted blinds hanging at the four additional 'french' doors that open onto the terrace for all events of this size; For larger events, we elevate one of the blinds for every additional 40 guests, in accordance with the H&S guidelines. I do hope this explains the blinds being at the doors to shelter the room from the sunlight that beams in when it is shining and assures you we adhere at all times to the requirements of the H&S Executive.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I'd say this hotel is a good three star, but not four.
The main building felt quite bare and quiet. I stayed in a room in the Fir Tree Court building around the corner. The corridors were cramped and the rooms very close together. My single executive room was fine, but small. It was clean but a lot of the furniture was old and scuffed. The bed was very comfortable though.
One of my main gripes is how thin the walls are. I could literally here everything in all the rooms around me, so I was very conscious about how loud to have the TV, which isn't good in your own room. I was also woken in the night by a couple in the adjoining room having very loud sex. Not a pleasant experience!
I got a good deal and only payed £40 for one night, but would have been annoyed had I spent much more.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Thank you for your review of Highfield Park. We would be most grateful if you could contact us to let us know what led you to believe we were rated at 4 stars? Being a 'conference and event venue' and not a hotel, we do not have a star rating at all and we do tend to be quieter in school holiday times when less conferences take place which may be why the main building felt quiet.

We are sorry you were disturbed by the noise made by other guests which made your stay less enjoyable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Heckfield
Warbrook House
#1 of 1 in Hartley Wintney
Raven Hotel
Raven Hotel
#5 of 7 in Hook

Been to Highfield Park? Share your experiences!