“A place to stay not to eat..”
Review of Highfield Park

Highfield Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heckfield
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Looks great as you enter the long drive to the main house..which is pretty impressive and beautifully situated..the room was clean..small but comfortable.

The bar was badly stocked..after two gin and tonics..no more tonic water..service was terrible even at 17.30 with the World Cup on the television it was still necessary to go looking for the bar staff.

We had dinner outside..fantastic view but you did feel rather forgotten by the waiting staff..who were pleasant if a little scarce.

The meal was fairly poor..the vegetarian anti pasta as a starter was tired and unimaginative..the salmon as a main course was very good however my colleagues Burger was cooked so long it was devoid of any kind of moisture a similar fate befell the thrice cooked homemade chips.

The breakfast was pretty good the next morning but it didn't really redeem the evening experience..so a handy location but I'd recommend eating out.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

We are very sorry your evening meals and service did not meet our usual standards. Your comments have been passed on to the chefs and Food and Beverage Managers to address with their teams.

For clarification for readers of this review, our bar opens at 18.00 on weekdays and service can be obtained via receptionprior to this time.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I visited the Highfield Park to celebrate the retirement of some colleagues and I must say we had a very pleasant evening. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, the bar doors were open and it was lovely sitting in the evening sunshine on the patio overlooking the parkland. Dinner was good too. Not exceptional but definitely more than adequate.

The problem was the room. The website raves about the setting and it is, indeed, lovely but my room was in the attic and the view from the window was of the roof and a low wall which blocked out anything other than the treetops in the distance – see photograph. No view at all in fact. I rang reception to ask if I could be moved to a different room but the receptionist declined on the basis that apparently the hotel was full – at 4 PM.

Admittedly it was a warm evening but my room, unlucky 13, was sweltering! Presumably to stop people from climbing onto the roof it was not possible to open the window by more than 3 or 4 inches – nowhere near enough to cool the room given that the towel rail in the bathroom was belting out the heat. It was so hot that the towels smelt singed yet, when I tried to find an on off switch but there wasn't one so, in the end, I had no choice but to spend a hot and uncomfortable night in a sweltering, badly ventilated room. To compound matters the duvet was, I think, a full 13 tog – just awful. I woke at 4 PM bathed in perspiration and couldn't get back to sleep.

Apart from the searing heat the room was clean enough although the showerhead was badly choked with limescale – so it only trickled. The TV didn't work because, although the cable was plugged in at the wall, it was disconnected from the television and, frankly, after the night I had had a couldn't be bothered to find the socket on the back of the television. The wardrobe had no hangers for suitable men's trousers and the room itself was tiny – more like an oversized broom cupboard - and definitely not four-star.

It was a pity that the room was such a disaster. There is a lot to like about this hotel but, frankly, room 13 will be what I remember of the Highfield Park and I will not be going back and nor can I recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid 13 like the plague.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

We are glad you enjoyed the retirement celebrations here at Highfield and are very sorry you did not enjoy your overnight stay.

We looked into the issues you have mentioned on this review and adjusted the towel rail timer setting and cleared the limescale on the showerhead - being in a very hard water area, this unfortunately does build up quickly and with the amount of use our bathrooms get and at peak times can build up quicker than our maintenance programme can resolve, we always address straight away if our guests notify us while still with us.

Once again we are sorry your stay did not meet your expectations and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We booked in for one night, dinner, bed and breakfast and we even got a free bottle of wine. A beautiful location, not too far from Heathrow, excellent value for money, good food and the staff were very helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your lovely review, we are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked lunch here for Father's Day and was hugely disappointed.

The building is so beautiful from the outside, and in the main, the decor inside is nice, although a little faded. However, the restaurant is not in keeping with the rest of the venue - in fact it looks like a care home facility! Not helped by a table set up with a mini football game in the middle.

Whilst I clearly should have asked more questions before booking, I was surprised that it was only 2 courses and that there was only 1 "roast" choice. My husband and son enjoyed their food, but I had the fish and it was overcooked and greasy, with flabby chips (certainly not triple cooked!), and I found 3 bones. The crumble was not a true crumble as it had a pastry bottom, and was very sweet, but definitely an improvement on my first course.

Considering there were very few people we had to wait some considerable time for our drinks at the table. We had a drink in the bar before lunch, and the guy who served us had trouble recalling what beers were available and when I asked for worcester sauce in my tomato juice added water to it! When my husband took it back and told him what we wanted he started showing him all sorts of bottles from the bar. Luckily another member of staff stepped in and helped. I would suggest this chap needs considerable training, before he is left on his own to look after guests.

We went back in the bar for coffee, only to be told if we wanted coffee we had to walk through the restaurant and help ourselves. At that point, we decided to give up and leave.

The only saving grace was the lady who appeared to be in charge. She was lovely, bubbly and friendly and had a very good attitude and approach.

I remember a time when DeVere was associated with high quality, and irrespective of whether it is a Venues or a Village or any other type of venue, with the DeVere name, it should have been good. Sadly, it was a huge disappointment, and I certainly won't be coming again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TopDownLover

We are very sorry you did not enjoy your visit to Highfield Park on Father's Day, we do ask guests to make us aware while they are here if they are not entirely satisfied in order that we can try and rectify the issue encountered which of course it is very difficult to do after people have left.

The member of staff on the bar that you mention was actually our Dutch student who was still learning the English ways and products at that time and his Manager addressed these things with him in order to aid his learning during his placement with us.

Thank you for this feedback which has been shared with the team and issues raised have been addressed.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I’ve stayed twice now, the first time in the outbuilding ( a bit of a bind if you have to schlep there in the rain) and the second actually in the main building. The biggest attraction for this place is the location, handy for Hook and Basingstoke but also out of the town centre so you can get some fresh air and take in the countryside. The old building is very attractive and I can image in it would look great in wedding photos. Inside, the building doesn’t really match the exterior and unfortunately is a little worn in places and could do with some investment from De Vere; the building certainly deserves it.

The courtyard room was fine, but lacking in design, the main building room a bit more colourful, but mine was really small and very hot. A tiny window can’t cope with the heat pumped out from the towel rail in the bathroom!

The grounds themselves are really nice and some decent places outside to have a drink and take in the view. Breakfast is OK, though I think the charge of £8.50 is about right for the quality. You can get a free ground coffee from the machine outside the breakfast room which is a lot better than the coffee inside - ironic really. Can’t comment about the restaurant food as we went to a local pub which was very nice. Free wifi which is always a bonus.

All things said, it’s great value for money and the faded grandeur grows on you after a while. I’ll certainly stay here again and would recommend it for colleagues.

1  Thank Ex-seasider

We are glad you enjoyed staying with us here at Highfield Park. We are sure you will notice the updates and changes in decor that are currently happening here when you join us again!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and many country hotels. For the price of this hotel I really can't see what people have to complain about . Our stay was very pleasant. Although the room was small it was perfectly adequate for 2 people. I do wonder what people expect for the price per night. Our check in was quick easy and receptionist very courteous. Our afternoon light meal was both fresh well presented and tasted lovely. What really impressed us all was the customer service which certainly was that extra mile. Having been to an event and getting in at 1 all very peckish, and although the kitchen was closed for the night the very courteous pleasant man on duty made us all tea and toast. This kind of service is rare these days when people just can't be bothered. I would applaud that man! The breakfast taken on the veranda the next morning was fresh and nice. The location is lovely all in all I would say this hotel is very nice indeed. The only downside in all of our stay is that you couldn't open the bedroom window beyond 6 inches but this seems to be the norm in hotels generally and I wish they wouldn't do it as some people need fresh flowing air to sleep well.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback about our value for money and lovely comments about our staff. We do pride ourselves on a personal service and our team work very hard to ensure our guests are happy wherever possible.

Regarding the window opening, as you say, many establishments now have these restrictions which are in line with health & safety guidelines.

Many thanks again for taking the time to post your positive comments, it is greatly appreciated by us all as so often people only take this time to post reviews when they are not happy! We hope to welcome you back to Highfield in the future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I attended the De Vere Highfield Park for a wedding and as other guests have said if you complain the answer in reply is one of defence and not one of empathy,I complained after the wedding as guests had also complained to me of there dissatisfaction at some of the events of the day.The reply was not factual and not constructive and not satisfatory!!!!

I would not recomend any of these hotels etc for any venues.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

We are very sorry you were not happy with our response to your feedback, this is never our aim, we keep comprehensive records of weddings and events taking place here and answer any feedback with honesty in accordance with our records. We see constructive feedback as a gift and if anything can be changed or addressed to ensure future guests satisfaction we action this immediately.

We do not have any recent negative feedback from bridal couples to match up with your complaint so we are very glad that any dissatisfaction felt by yourself or the other guests you mention did not appear to impact on their day which is always our aim as it should be full of nothing but happy memories for them. However, we do of course wish it were the case that no dissatisfaction were felt by anyone.

We would like to assure readers of this review that we pride ourselves on excellent customer service, receive fantastic reviews from our weddings of which we host around 90 per year and our team work together very hard to ensure as many guests as possible leave very happy with their visit, whenever we can influence this.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Heckfield
Warbrook House
#1 of 1 in Hartley Wintney
Raven Hotel
Raven Hotel
#5 of 7 in Hook

Been to Highfield Park? Share your experiences!