“Don't Let Looks Deceive You”
Review of Highfield Park

Highfield Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heckfield
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Don't Let Looks Deceive You”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Once you enter the main gates, you are immediately impressed by the long drive up to what could be described as a large stately home. On entering the building, you find yourself heading towards a fairly small reception area but are conscious that the decor is pretty old school, which is probably in keeping with the original building. I was allocated a single room in the main building. On opening the door to my room, I was genuinely shocked at the limited space. Hilariously, the way the room was set out meant that the TV had to sit on a table that sat in a small alcove. So when you were lying in bed, you could literally only see half the TV. There was a wardrobe, which had the usual amenities and even a safe, but not one hanger. So any plans I had to hang up a pair of trousers and a couple of shirts were scuppered. Ventilation is almost non-existent, and I was thankful it hadn't been a warm day, otherwise this tiny room would have been like a sauna. Thinking that things couldn't bother me anymore, I quickly realised that my room was directly above the bar area. Unfortunately, there was a corporate group staying in the hotel, so you can imagine the noise that continued well after midnight. I didn't eat here, so can't comment on the food. I don't think that £99 for a cupboard was great value for money, and I probably wouldn't choose to stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
HighfieldManagement, Manager at Highfield Park, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you for your review, we are sorry your stay did not meet with your expectations.

We urge all guests to check the room type they have booked on their confirmation - if you have booked a single room, you will not be allocated a double room I am afraid, we have many room types, shapes and sizes here in our 17th century property and endevour to furnish the rooms in the best way the shape will allow. We have replenished the coat hangers in the room you stayed in that appear to have been removed by a previous guest as rest assured we do provide them!

Please note - If readers prefer a guaranteed square room with a double bed and lots of room around the bed, you will find very few rooms of this type in our beautiful period property and you may be happier staying with a brand that have 'uniform' sized rooms if that is your preference to ensure you are happy with your facilities. If you prefer character, coziness, a warm welcome in a more intimate location with beautiful grounds, along with the bonus of free wi-fi & free parking then Highfield Park is the place for you and we look forward to your visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Worthing
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed for one night on 26th July as a couple. We were aware that this is an event venue but didn't realise quite how "second class" you are if you are not part of the party. On the day we arrived there was a wedding at Highfield Park.
A sign in the driveway informed us that we were not allowed to park at the main building, where reception is located, so we parked in the larger car park about 200yds from reception and carried our luggage down the driveway. At check in we were informed that due to the wedding party we were not allowed to use the bar or the restaurant, but that a room would be available where we could get dinner (more of that later). Check in was slow as it appeared that the two or three reception staff all had to deal with one customer at a time.
We were booked into the Fir Court annex (which were knew when booking) but were only given the vague information from reception that this was located "behind the main car park".
We therefore carried our luggage back up the driveway and wandered around for 5-10 minutes in a temperature of 26 degs trying to find the entrance to Fir Court.
Once we had found our room it didn't get much better. The room was smallish, but ok, but at one side of the bed was a desk, at the other side nothing. We found a bedside cabinet in the cupboard under the stairs (why?) and dragged it out to put it by the bed.
I then tried to connect my iPad to the WiFi but could get no signal. I phoned reception and they said the duty manager would come and sort it out. We decide to have a cup of tea while we waited and then discovered there was only one mug! I phoned reception again and asked the duty manager to bring son extra mug.
When the manager arrive (with an extra mug) she admitted the WiFi was poor and advised me to go out into the hallway to try and get connected. This worked and then remained connected in our ronin but the speed was appallingly slow.
In the evening we went to the main building for dinner (there is nowhere else nearby within walking distance so if you want to drink. there is no choice),
The room for dinner was very nice but extremely hot with only a floor fan to try to keep it cool. We opened a sash window and door to the garden to get some air flowing (no help was provided by the staff)
The table was poorly laid, one starter fork plus starter and main knives, and above the place setting a dessert fork and a soup spoon!
Service was slow and poor. After sharing a starter (calamari) the side plates and forks were left there until the end of the meal. Our steaks were served on a wooden platter with an Impressive steak knife, but no new forks until I asked, when they were brought from another table.
We ordered a bottle of wine. I was given a tasting sample but after accepting the wine, the server didn't pour a glass for my partner or top up my glass, he simply plonked the bottle on the table and left.
After the meal we ordered coffees. I ordered an espresso but am sure that what I actually got was about two tablespoons of filter coffee in a large mug.
Finally when we wanted to leave and sign the meal to our room account, the server had vanished. We went to reception and found that he was in the office.
In the morning we decided to skip breakfast as we were not confident that it would be of a good quality or service.
Check out was much like check in, the entire reception staff seemed capable of dealing with only one customer at a time. i was not asked how my stay was, probably they knew it was not good.
Would I use this place again? Definitely not!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeremy H
Thank you very much for your feedback which has now reached us in person and we have responded in person to this reviewer.

To clarify for readers of this review:

1) Highfield Park holds a lot of weddings on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and when weddings are taking place this means our main restaurant and bar lounge are NOT available to other guests so it is always worth calling to check if this is the case. It is very rare we have double bedrooms still available when weddings are taking place for sale to guests not attending the wedding and it is difficult to identify such bookings prior to arrival. We do endeavour to do so and notify such guests of the limited facilities that will be available, giving them the opportunity to cancel their stay and we are sorry this guests was not identified in advance on this occasion. We endeavour to look after other guests and provide as much as we can in alternative rooms.

2) Having only 58 bedrooms we only have one check in/out terminal at reception and only one receptionist on duty at any one time. Other staff are available to answer questions but cannot assist with check in.

3) Fir Tree Court is located next to the main car park with parking right outside it. It has a sign on it and on the sign in the car park pointing to it. If you have booked a bedroom in Fir Tree Court it is advisable not to take your luggage to the reception area in the main building to avoid then taking it back to Fir Tree Court - if you do need assistance please ask and our staff will endeavour to help.

Please do contact us direct if in any doubt as to whether the facilities will meet your expectations as we would like all our guests to be satisfied with their stay.

Travellers are raving about these Heckfield hotels

West Molesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The outside space is excellent and very helpful staff are always available. Additionally they have a freebies corner (tea/coffee fruit cookies etc) that makes it staying there my number one choice!!

I have stayed in several rooms and although the property is beautiful some rooms were a bit small.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Aline B
Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoy staying with us. Some rooms are smaller than others as you say and booking the room type to meet your requirements is imperative to ensure satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Hampshire uk
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Staff are very friendly and extremely helpful and made our day special. Food and service was outstanding and accommodation was clean and could not fault. Would recommend this venue to anyone that was looking for a wedding venue.

The grounds are stunning and all guests where wow'd by this venue.

Would definitely look to use this venue again for other events.

Room Tip: Choose an outside room for spectacular views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TinaWatson65
Thank you for your lovely review, we are glad you had a wonderful wedding day!
UK
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Driving up to the hotel I was very optimistic - lovely grounds and an impressive building. I was staying on business and my booking was made through a central system so (like many business travellers) no chance to check previous reviews.

I parked in the car park and checked in, carrying several bags from my car to reception. I was then told that my room was in the Fir Court block - so I carried everything all the way back again - no immediate offer of help, although a half-hearted offer came from a passing member of staff who saw me struggling.

So, the room... As a lone female I don't want to be on the ground floor in a building away from main reception, when the only ventilation is to have the windows wide open. I phoned and asked to be moved and I was shown a room in the eaves.

The room was tiny, nowhere to put anything and certainly nowhere to relax and/or work. It was boiling hot (I appreciate that the hotel doesn't control the weather) but the desk fan barely made a difference. The room was set up for a single person - one mug, one spoon, one towel, but it was supposedly a double room. The hairdryer was pretty useless and I could hear my 'neighbour' snoring in his bed, inches away, at the other side of the wall.

On check out the final straw was the £2.50 credit card charge and an attempt to charge me for a breakfast that I didn't have.

This could be a lovely hotel and I would suggest that a member of management stays overnight in some of the rooms and sees what the Highfield Park experience is really like. I certainly wouldn't stay here again. I was really disappointed - it was the same standard as a Travel Lodge albeit in a nicer building.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cjga
Thank you for your review, we are sorry you were not satisfied with your stay with us.

We ask business travellers who do have reservations made by a central system to ensure they are happy with the room type and location that has been built for them. Our website clearly states which rooms are in the annexe and unfortunately if this is what has been booked for you we are unable to change this unless we have availability on the day to move you which is often not possible.

Our rooms are provided with double facilities (towels, mugs etc) when the booking is made for two people, we only provide one of each when the booking is for a single person.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Must agree with other reviewers that the approach, the grounds and the original residence are magnificent. We stayed in the old stables where the room was extremely small and it was a bit of a manoeuvre for the person on the left to access the bathroom, the door of which,when opened, wedged against the bed. Generally speaking we would have said the room was clean except for the dreaded hairs in the bath and on the bathroom floor-this is always a turnoff! This is a conference and wedding venue so perhaps not appropriate for just a hotel stay but we needed somewhere in the region. There was no wedding on the weekend we stayed so we did not suffer from noise or exclusions from areas of the property,which by the way has its own church in the grounds. In fact it was so quiet that I could not find anybody for a while to serve me a drink in the bar, there being no other customers present.
Referring back to the room, we could tolerate the small size for one night but the lighting was appalling. Having found no life in the bar we decided to retire early and catch up on the days newspapers but the two bedside lamps and some partial throw of light from an open bathroom were insufficient to make this possible. The manager on duty , who was extremely polite and helpful tried to find some additional lamps for us but none was available. The TV reception and choice of channels was totally unacceptable so it was a good early night! Breakfast next morning after a stroll in the grounds was OK but service very poor; firstly we asked to sit at a window table but were shepherded down to a middle of the room table which was more convenient for the waitress. She did not deign to change the dirty table cloth at the table she allocated us-had this been at anything attaining to more than a two star hotel I would not have accepted this treatment. The quality of the food was OK-nothing special.
This place with its historical connections (it was Neville Chamberlain's home during WW2) could be so much better but I am conscious of the fact that at £59 internet rate and £17 for two breakfasts it was not too bad a deal

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bsn034
Thank you for your feedback which has been shared with the Operations Team in order to ensure the dissatisfaction you felt with some elements of your stay are not repeated for future guests.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We got married at the hotel on 7 June 2014 and would recommend that anyone considering Highfield Park as their wedding venue stops looking anywhere else and makes a booking here. From start to finish the staff at Highfield Park have been absolutely brilliant. The attention to detail in the planning stages (thanks Sarah!) gave us every reassurance that our big day would run like clockwork - which it did (thanks Kelly & Ash!). All of our guests were made to feel extremely welcome and all of our requests were dealt with swiftly and attentively. Everyone had a great time and many commented that it was the best wedding they'd been to for years - that's thanks to venue/staff and we're incredibly grateful for their efforts.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for posting your lovely review on this website, we are so glad you had the wedding day of your dreams and we hope to welcome you back in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heckfield
Warbrook House
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Highfield Park? Share your experiences!