“Beautiful house - awful room.”
Review of Highfield Park

Highfield Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heckfield
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We stayed here after a friends' wedding. Despite ringing on the day our invitation arrived, when we tried to check in they had no record of our booking. They finally found us a room in the infamous stable block, which they described as a 'single, but with a big bed'. Well, if you call a 4ft bed big, then it was. We trekked across the gardens and gravel car park, (doing my party high-heels no good at all) to the block, which had a grubby, tired -looking carpet, found the room, which also had a tired carpet, and tried to unpack. The wardrobe was about 4ft tall, so everything hung across the floor. There was a very odd smell, so we climbed across the bed (which was pushed up againt the wall) to open the window, at which point the window blind fell down with a crash, just missing knocking one of us out!

We could only get four channels on the tv. There was a kettle, tea and coffee packs, but no hot chocolate or biscuits and only one mug. The bathroom was clean, but with cracked tiles and grubby grouting. And it was only a shower, no bath.

We didn't eat in the hotel (we were only at the wedding for the evening) as the chefs were all busy with the wedding and so couldn't open the restaurant. We went to the nearby New Inn where we had a delicious meal, cooked and served by sweet, friendly staff. Breakfast the next morning was fine, food not cooked to order but dished up in hot trays so help yourself.

We were charged £50 for both of us B&B which we thought wasn't too bad but when I saw that otheres were being charged ten quid it was a bit annoying!

The main building is stunningly beautiful and the views marvellous, so if you go, make sure you in the main building and not poked away in the stables. It's about a five minute walk to the main hotel which is fine on a warm day but not if it's cold, dark or raining!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 May 2010

Great location and very peaceful. All staff very friendly but little spanish man very annoying and rude to other staff. Cleaners and maintenance manager very helpful as I locked myself out of my car. Hu-hum. Food very nice. Bar expensive but it is a hotel. The boss upgraded me for free as they were quiet. Would I go again? Yes

Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I recently stayed at the De Vere Highfield Park in the Stables, i parked up and headed to reception where i was given my room key and told to go back outside and turn right where i would see another building. (The Stables) The receptionist did not provide any other information regarding the Bar, resturaunt etc. Once i found my room i was dissapointed with the size, i was on the first floor which was in the roof space. The bed was a large single bed not a double and i could only just stand up in the Bathroom because of the sloping roof. I headed back down to reception and then onto the bar. I asked if the football would be shown that night but was told that they had a problem with the Sky Box, i then asked if the Hotel provided room service so i could watch the football in my room? But due to staff shortages it would not be possible to provide room service, however the Barman suggested i order my food and carry it back to my room myself. (The Hotel had 3 staff working, 1 in the bar, 1 in the resturaunt and the duty manager)
I got back to room with my meal just as the game began. On checking out the Receptionist asked me for £279, WHY OH WHY do receptionists never read the e-mail. I have a company account with allowances for the Bar and Resturaunt. After 15 minutes of the Receptionist working out my allowances to what i have spent i was left to pay an £11 bar bill from the second night. This Hotel looks great but the service is not as good as i expected having stayed in De Vere Hotels before.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I booked this as a spur of the moment romantic anniversary trip with my other half. It was on the £19 a night deal so I wasn't too worried if the hotel wasn't great as it was such a bargain. I had read reviews of very small rooms so was already prepared for that. The hotel is in a picturesque location but not great if you want an active trip as there is very little around.
The room did out to be very small, but it is a converted stable block! The room was beautifully decorated and very clean. It was cozy and as a couple we loved it. TV reception was awful though which was a bit annoying as when it rained we decided to try watch some of the winter Olympics only to realise we could barley pick them up. Luckily we had our laptop and the wifi connection was great.
Staff were very friendly and helpful, if a little quiet.
Food was brilliant. We ate their on our anniversary night and had a beautiful 3 course meal for £25 each. Which is usually expensive to us but it was a special occasion and it was worth it.
There were very few other guests except those training in the main hotel as it is a training center for HP. I think if we had known it was so business orientated we may have booked somewhere else. It also has its own church in the grounds which is beautiful!
There are many beautiful pubs around it on the country lanes so you do not have to drive far to find good food.
We stayed for 3 nights in total and had a lovely lazy romantic trip, which to us was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank daisymay_chantele
Reviewed 18 February 2010

My wife and I stayed for one night in Feb, the surroundings to the hotel are lovely and the long country drive going up to the manor house are great........... but once you get into the rooms that all ends!

The rooms are very cramped, comparable to a travel lodge only smaller!

To be honest, I only paid £29 so cant complain, but glad i didn't pay anymore.

Wouldn't stay again and have had better bargains.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I booked a nights stay over the valentines stay as a treat for my partner, we dont normally do anything more then flowers and cook dinner but thought I would make an exception this year when I saw the special offer whilst at a conference here. For £100 we had an impressive 3 course meal with a welcome champagne and strawberries and followed by coffee and hand made truffles. The meal really was the highlight with an impressive standard of cooking for a hotel function, the beef wellington is a must! The room for the dinner was cosy and no intrusive although there were plenty of other dinners. The room was a good size (ask for a room in the main house) we awoke to views over the park land and an amazing breakfast in bed (again included in the £100) this included porriage, fruit salad, smoothie, orange juice, toast and pastry. For mains my partner had the english breakfast but I had the eggs benedict, which much like the beef wellington was cooked to perfection- a real treat!! I really didnt expect much from this hotel as it was a good deal but the level of service we delivered and the standard of catering was exceptional. We are organising his dads 60th for March and will most definatly be coming back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2010

On the conference facility note, its a great place to hold a conference. Well sized rooms with tea, coffee and biscuits ready and waiting in the dedicated area in the hotel along wiht a little internet bar, perfect.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heckfield
Warbrook House
De Vere Wokefield Estate
De Vere Wokefield Estate
#1 of 1 in Stratfield Mortimer
The Kingsley at Eversley

Been to Highfield Park? Share your experiences!