The George Hotel
US$191
  • Pool
US$190
US$125
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnorth tynethree stara la carte menuhadrian's wallweekend breakbar mealsrestaurant stafflovely settingsteam roomoverlooking the riverchesters roman fortkippersenjoyable stayleisure clubwell worth a visitfull englishspa facilities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Nice location by the river you need your own transport for getting around. Hexham 5 miles away. Bedrooms passable, poor shower, could have been cleaner. Nice bar and sitting area although seating could be short at busy times eg. evening following the meal. The meals are good the staff and service are also good.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank BMP4
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Thanks for your review on trip advisor. I will address your comments regarding the cleanliness of the bedroom with my Housekeeping team. I'm pleased you enjoyed your meals and were happy with the service that you received. Should you wish to visit us again or any of the other Coast and Country Hotels, may I personally recommend the Premier and Superior Suites, although there is a supplement these rooms are all newly refurbished and well worth the extra.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We used this hotel as an overnight stop on our way back from Scotland. Reception is very impressive as are the bars. The rooms were dated and needed some serious TLC, although they were clean, can't complain there. The issues I had were the loud noise when our neighbours flushed their toilet, a humming noise coming from somewhere we just couldn't work out, and the worst issue for me was the shower ran out of warm water half way through washing my hair. The food was good, not adventurous but 3 course evening meal for £19.99, you can't complain. The staff were very friendly and couldn't have done any more for us. It is ideally sited for lots of heritage sites. Don't be put off by my comments, try it for yourself.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room if you can, we didin't and found we were next to the road, which was a little noisy and not very picturesque
2  Thank Dipsey1

Thanks so much for your honest review. I honestly couldn't say what the noise was or why you ran out of hot water during your shower. To my knowledge no other reports were raised, so I do apologise for this. We aim to offer hearty traditional food at a reasonable price as you have agreed. I will ensure my staff are aware of your kind comments and perhaps if your in the area again you may come back and visit.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

We were allocated room 101 witch was filthy dust every where Headboard Mirror wardrobe and bath had not been cleaned beds had no valance sheet and base looked gruby and dirty. TV and Kettle did not work. After complaining we were moved to 103 which althrough cleaner was in poor condition broken floor tiles in bathroom and toilet flush handle hanging off. although we had checked that the hotel was suitable for my needs(on oxygen and in a wheelchair) we could only access the restuarant and bar by going outside and down the hill this is not disabled friendly.

3  Thank james m

I'm sorry to read your review, I have passed your comments regarding the cleanliness of your bedroom to my housekeeping team and this will be addressed. When booking any future holidays through Shearings please speak to the Special Helpdesk regarding the suitability of the hotel and your specific needs, they work extremely hard to ensure that all guest information is passed to us before your arrival, my staff at the hotel will also help in any way they can to make sure your stay is comfortable and enjoyable.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

The staff are nice and friendley, the hotel needs a little TLC, the rooms are warm when the heating is on though you cant guarantee it will be, it was freezing when we first went into our room, I phoned reception and they said the heating was on a timer, and she would see if she could override it, the heat was back on.
I woke at 5am and there was no heating on, I phoned reception continuously until it was finally answerd by a real person and not an answering machine at 8 am, they said the heating had tripped out, it then came back on.
the room was very dusty the same as it was the last time i stayed, lamp shades top of mirrors and pictures coverd with dust, no good for people with an allergey are breathing problems.
Breakfast is now served and not a buffet breakfast, one slice of bacon one sausage, egg, half a tomato and beans and a potato triangle thing + there is cereal and toast. oh the beds were not made up in the morning because we had sort of made them up ourselves.

3  Thank Jan H

I'm sorry to read your disappointing review and that we had problems with the heating during your stay. I have addressed the issues that you mention with my Head Housekeeper and can assure you that they are being resolved. We have changed the service style of our breakfast, but do rely on guest comments regarding this change so thank you for your input.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Just returned from a 3 night break at this hotel. Was a bit worried about some of the reviews we read before we went. So lets get the negatives out the way. The bed wasnt made by housekeeping each day it was just pulled up. The bathroom could do with a revamp but most importantly was clean with lovely big bath towels. The dining room was a bit cold but it does have lots of glass and it was a particularly cold weekend. Thats it nothing else negative.
Positives lots of them. Got a great deal via late rooms, £161 for DBB FOR 2.
The food was good. Breakfast usual cold choices and hot food cooked to order. Evening meal 3 courses plus tea or coffee, choice of 4 or 5 dishes for each course. The food was good quality,plentiful and always hot. Supplement to pay for steak and for smoked salmon starter if you chose these but wouldnt have minded paying this given the initial cost of break and quality of food, but didnt have these as prefered other choices.
The bar, dining room and seating areas had obviously had a refurb in recent years and were very modern but still in keeping with hotel. Nice comfy chairs and sofas.
Used leisure centre on the Saturday it wasnt busy so had a lovely relaxing time. Need to go to reception to get a fob for entry to leisure centre as it is unmanned. Towels supplied you need a £1 coin to operate lockers (returned).
The hotel sits on river bank our room was 210 which although quite compact had a nice view of river and bridge. It was a fair walk from reception but near leisure centre which suited us fine.

Not a lot to do in Chollerford altough the wee cafe across road from hotel is worth a visit for coffee or lunch and there are remains of Hadrians Wall witihin walking distance of hotel. It is easy to drive to Hexham 5 miles and this is a lovely market town with some great little shops. Newcastle Upon Tyne is just over 20 miles away.
So to sum up we will definately return and would recommend The George if you are looking for a nice quiet break with good food.

Room Tip: River view is nice. Some rooms are a long way from reception but they are nearer to Leisure Centre.
1  Thank rosistheboss

How wonderful to read your glowing 4 star review. We do have some fantastic offers on the internet and particularly Coast and Country Hotels. We aim to offer our guests a relaxing break in a beautiful part of the country and serve tasty wholesome food. I'm pleased to read that you would recommend us and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.