“Worst Hotel Room Ever!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
Madison, New Jersey
“Worst Hotel Room Ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

If you are going to explore Hadrian's Wall don't stay at this hotel. It looks very nice in the images on the hotel website and it all sounds very good but the reality is very different. The food was poor, the room was not like anything posted in their pictures, with the majority of the hotel worse for wear. The room smelt moldy, as if a wet dog had lived in the room before our arrival, it also had filthy crockery and moldy disposable plastic cups in the room.

I might have felt different if I had stayed in one of those rooms illustrated but my room had paper thin walls and their so called extra bed for the child was an antiquated fold away bed that my daughter cried about having to sleep in. It was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had the misfortune to use, as I ended up sleeping in it.

Room Tip: Don't go here!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Expat_Tiger66
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Thank you for your review, we do take all Trip Advisor reviews seriously. Unfortunately I can not work out when you stayed or which room you stayed in due to your username not being your correct name and none of this was brought to my attention during your stay.
I am sorry that the hotel was not up to your standards and that you ended up sleeping in the z bed, the z beds are not intended for adult use and are a temporary bed only.
I would like to state that the z beds are perfectly adequate for a child up to the age of 15 and this is the first complaint I have ever received about the beds.
Once again thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night and were pleasantly surprised by the quality and atmosphere of the hotel after the negativity expressed on TA.
The riverside setting is beautiful and walking through the well-kept gardens to our room was a pleasure. Although furniture is rather old fashioned, both the room and bathroom were clean and comfortable with hair dryer, iron, trouser press and toiletries provided.
Breakfast was very good and served by pleasant staff in a room with a stunning view (cleaning the windows would emphasise this!)
All in all, we feel 'The George' represents very good value for a hotel in its class.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daveanddee H
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave an honest and positive review, I am very happy that you enjoyed the facilities that the George has to offer. Indeed the riverside view is beautiful, and I can confirm that the window cleaners have since been to emphasise the views better from the restaurant. We hope to see you again at the George in the near future.
Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

On our journey home back from 2 nights. Stay at the lovely George , we had a lovely room not to far from the swimming pool and easily got to through the gardens much quicker than through reception with 3 little ones ! lovely breakfast try there sausages mmmm special thanks go to the lovely young waitress Martha her smile lit up the room ;) and Michael the bar manager for looking after us so well even to the point of putting a table and chairs up in sunny part of the lawn . We hd 3 children with us twins age 4 and a 2 year old they were made to feel very welcome by the staff and other guests and loved the pool and jacuzzi and playing with the huge chess in the garden , not so many rabbits about now we only spotted one ! Plenty of places to visit we went to kielder water recommended by the hotel it was fantastic on the whole a lovely little break and can not wait to return

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for the excellent review, I shall make sure that the staff mentioned are praised for there hard work and are aware of the comments made.
I know how stressful holidays can be with young children, so I am happy that our staff ensured you had a great holiday and put your minds at ease.
Kielder is indeed a fantastic and beautiful place to take the family I am glad that you enjoyed it. Again thank you for the positive review and we look forward to seeing you again at the George in the near future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We recently stayed at the George, a Shearing hotel. Food and restaurant were excellent, but our room (103) did not have a chest of drawers, so belongings were either on the shelf in the wardrobe or strewn over chairs. The duty manager agreed that this was not acceptable and that the room was too small to accommodate chest of drawers. I complained to Shearings customer relations team, and in a written reply, was told "Rooms at the George Hotel do not include chest of drawers - this is due to the new furniture specifications", What absolute drivel, which, when I checked with the hotel, was found, unsurprisingly, to be a blatant lie. (I also checked out 3 other rooms myself - all had drawers). I sent a copy of, showing the name of the person who wrote it to the Managing Director, who, predictably, has not replied..
There are two messages here; 1. Avoid room 103 at the George
2. Better still, book independently, avoiding Shearings and the .
liars in their admin staff.

Room Tip: Rooms with access direct from the car park appear to be good (I saw 3 of them), but room 103 is to b...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave an honest and positive review, I am sorry that your views on the chest of draws have caused you so much upset. I can confirm that room 103 does not have a chest of draws but it does indeed have adequate storage for short staying guests. In the future we would recommend that you book direct with the hotel so a problem like this does not arise again. Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review, we do read and reply to all reviews and use them to better our product for future guests.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

My family and I wanted to go to Northumberland to discover Roman walks and to explore the history of the area and to visit Hadrians Wall. We searched a number of hotels and come across the George Hotel in Chollerford and we are so glad we did. The staff were really pleasant and the room we were allocated was one of the highest standard. We decided during our stay to go on numerous walks, we got all the information we needed from the hotel staff who were very informative about the local area. I cannot fault the hotel for food and the cleanliness of the rooms and the bonus was the fitness room and the spa facilities. Just what we needed after a long day was to relax in the hotels Jacuzzi and swimming pool. We would highly recommend this hotel and we would not hesitate in booking this hotel again if we were in the area. Situated only 25 minutes from Newcastle it was the ideal spot. Thank you the George Hotel you made our stay a very enjoyable one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andrew, Thank you for your very kind and honest review, It is always a pleasure for my self and the team at the George to read such reviews. The Northumberland is an amazing place for children and even adults to learn the history of the roman era, Chester’s Roman fort is a short walk away and it is a fun day out for the family.
I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities at the George and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.
HARROGATE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

The George is certainly a three star hotel and one should not expect 4 star luxury. However we spent a happy four day break there this week on a half-board basis.

The setting is superb, the airy dining room looks out on to very pleasant gardens on the banks of the Tyne. The gardens could do with a little TLC, but I think the management have a 'work in progress'. While we were there the water fountains began to play again, and there were signs of gardening! There is a broken-down greenhouse and an abandoned putting green around the corner. I think making these work again would be a big asset. There is also a swimming pool etc in the grounds which is OK, but could be cleaner, I think it would help if everyone showered before going in!There is a small gym attached but it ,like the swimming pool is not supervised. However we found it alright for a quick swim at the end of the day.

Our room was 315 and I agree with the reviewer who said it was very hot, being over the kitchen with a window which only opens a little. I would not liked to have it in very hot weather, as there is no air conditioning. It was a standard plus room, but the furniture was extremely cheap and inadequate. Fortunately there was an iron and ironing board, so we just used our cases for most things.' which was probably better. We looked at some standard rooms and to me they looked better furnished, in dark wood. Maybe whoever is the designer thinks melamine is the 'in' thing. We certainly prefered the old stuff. However to the good points: the room was extremely clean, the bed comfortable and the en suite was great. Towels were changed on request, and were nice, fluffy and white. Toileteries were provided.

The restaurant:- This was a very pleasant room and the service was superb, the staff could not do enough for you. I think you do have to remember what you have paid for, and not expect 4 star food for 3 star bargain prices. Breakfast was good, plenty of choices of cereal and fruit juice,
with a limited fresh fruit choice, some nice yoghurt. We were divided about the main course, I thought it was fine but my partner thought the traditional English breakfast was not up to standard
but that one of the several alternatives, egg and gammon on toast was very good.Toast and croissants are available.

Dinner was fine. Every night there was choice of three starters, three main courses plus a vegetarian dish and a salad and then three desserts. Although it was obvious that some of the food , especially the desserts, came from catering packs, there was nothing wrong with it and the portions were good.

There is little to do after dinner, except drink, chat or watch TV, but as we had been out all day, followed by a swim that was fine by us

The nearby attractions are many, and we had a very enjoyable break

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sheila P
Sheila, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave this honest and positive review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the George and that everything was up to your expectations. We have generally had good feedback regarding the new furniture in the standard plus rooms, maybe next time you stay call us directly at the time of booking and we will do our utmost to give you the room that is furnished perfectly for you.
Alston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

We booked to stay at The George as we were attending a wedding in the area. We arrived early to have lunch before the wedding. The menu was limited, the only option for children was fish fingers. We ordered some sandwiches and toasties. This took 45 mins to arrive! And the hotel wasnt even busy. When the food came it was average.
We booked a family room but when we got in there was only 2 single beds. We made this aware to the man on reception who did get a fold up bed for us but meant me and my husband were in 2 single beds. The room was ok. Only one bedroom window opened which meant the room was very hot. The decor was tired.
I left the wedding early in the evening to take my children to bed. As we had eaten early at the reception I was a bit hungry and thought I would order room service, only to find out they don't do it.
At breakfast we turned up and waited a few minutes for someone to seat us but hey didn't so we just sat down. The waiter was miserable and didn't once smile. We order 3 full breakfasts, he didn't ask how we wanted the eggs and it was only when he brought the toast that we said how we wanted them. The breakfast was poor. You got a slice of bacon, beans, egg, tomato and a pitiful small sausage which was disgusting. We had to paid extra to have mushrooms, and black pudding. We weren't offered any sauce which my son wanted. My daughter had scrambled egg on toast, and there was hardly any there.
There is no wifi in the rooms and when I tired to use it in the reception it wouldn't work.
The only positive comment I can make is the waiter on the bar. He was helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, I am disheartened that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. I do recall the Saturday that you stayed and I disagree in the fact that the hotel was quiet; the hotel was busy on the afternoon due to it being a sunny day and everyone wishing to use the gardens for food and drinks. I am not aware of the problems with the room but I do apologise for the mix up. Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review, we do read and reply to all reviews and use them to better our product for future guests.

Travellers are raving about these Chollerford hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Langley Castle Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,437 reviews
Battlesteads Hotel
BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!