“Right on Hadrian's Wall route”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel is situated in lovely grounds on the bank of the Tyne where Hadrian's Wall crosses.

Part of the Coast and Country Group, it seems to be a work in progress as it was owned by another group until recently. It is a rabbit warren, bits added along the way for about 80 or so years. There is no lift. Corridors wind hither and thither. At one point one goes up to go down. By the time you reach the gym you will not need to use it!

However, the public rooms have been refurbed and are lovely as are some of the rooms. Even our friend's room which seem to have been decorated but not had renewed furnishings was quite ok.

We had a refurbed room and it was lovely. What let it down though was the casual housekeeping I did report this but it was not corrected while we were there.

The staff were plentiful and, apart from a disinterested receptionist on our last morning, charming and helpful. Lawrie - reception (on relief from Durham) and Mark - bar and reception stand out.

We were there for 2 nights on their Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate. Supper is what I would call plain English cooking. It was hot and for the 3 courses there was plenty of choice. One can also order, for a supplement from the a la carte menu. My OH eats anything and I went to boarding school so venturing onto the a la carte choices was not something we did. Our friend enjoyed those he had. His cheeseboard got high marks. The coffee is grim (I did mention this while there)

The hotel has a lovely swimming pool and Jacuzzi. But these are desperately in need of TLC.

The hotel group has links with Shearings coach holidays. So apart from independent travellers, mostly walkers, you will not encounter a young clientele.

Would we stay again? Yes we would but with some reservations.

Room Tip: Get a refurbed room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dshackell
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for your honest and positive review. I shall pass on your kind words to the team and indeed Laurie at the Eden Arms! You are correct unfortunately due to the age of the building there is no lift and this is not possible due to being a listed building. We are sorry that you endured bad housekeeping during your stay; I have since discussed this with the Head Housekeeper. I have passed on your comments to our purchasing manager for the estate regarding the coffee. If people do not bring things to our attention we are unaware there is a problem, so for this I do thank you. Once again thank you for taking the time to leave your review, it is always helpful to get honest opinions as it does help us improve our customer services and standards. We hope to see you at the George Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Quite honestly we found the hotel great the food was good as was the room and view and the staff are excellent yes the spa area looks like it could do with refurbishing but we used it and it was fine drink prices are a little high but the village pub Ian`t worth the walk

Room Tip: Get a river view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review, I shall inform the chef and staff of your kind words. The Crown is indeed up the road in the village, but that hill can be a battle at times!! Once again thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We have just returned from a short break at The George Hotel. We thorougly enjoyed this. Very clean and the food was good. The staff were very helpful and smiley, especially in the dining room. Any requests were dealt with quickly and efficiently. Only complaint I could make was the bathroom, needs some tlc as does a lot of the bathrooms in Bay/Coast and Country Hotels. Shower was very poor but apart from this the Hotel is very good and in an excellent location. If you require a snack visit the Riverside Tea Rooms, just across from the hotel. They make you very welcome and the food is good and reasonable. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at the George, We are constantly making improvements to the hotel so I shall take your comments on board regarding the bathroom’s. Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I have just returned from a short break at 'The George', for anyone who wants a quiet break with lovely, natural scenery and easy access to interesting visits to the Roman remains you could not do better.
My room (105) was clean, well equipped with a pleasant view.
The passageways are like a maze and as the hotel has car parks at the front and rear it is advisable that when checking in you leave your bags in the car until you find where your room is.
The staff are pleasant and helpful, the dining room has a lovely view of the river and there is a Leisure Centre with a nice pool, Sauna, Steam Room, Jacussi and Keep Fit Machines for the more energetic, use of these facilities are free to residents.
The Hotel is not for those who are looking for entertainment, it is purely peace and quiet.
It would not for me to write a rating without some critiscism, however in this case they were hard to find except for: After my room being cleaned on Saturday morning I came back to find the door unlocked and partially open with no maid in sight or who returned. As my room was adjacent the rear entrance to the car park anyone could have entered my room and stolen my belongings, when delivering my newspapers one of the was wrong and the receptioist had difficulty understaing the difference in title between two papers, although I had booked and paid for two (my wife was unable to come along at the last moment) when I asked for two fried eggs with my breakfast on Sunday morning they removed a slice of bacon, (I had two slices on Saturday)!!!

Room Tip: If possible try to book a room at the front of the hotel for the views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Malcolm H

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave an honest and positive review, You are correct in saying that George has easy access to the roman remains and indeed to Kielder Water which is certainly worth a visit.
I shall pass on all of your kind words regarding the staff and the work they have been carrying out. I am sorry about the issue with your door being left open; this is not acceptable and a new door closer has been fitted to prevent this happening again.
In regards to the papers sir, even my self was confused about the paper situation so thank you for pointing out that there is two papers of the same name on the same day but both different!! I do hope we get to see you at the George Hotel again the future and that your wife will come and experience the hotel like you did.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Had a lovely 2 night stay at this lovely hotel with my auntie and 3 boys (twins 4 years old and 2 year old). Our room was very spacious and clean and suited our needs a treat. We had 2 good nights sleep so I think it's safe to say the beds were comfy. Room service was spot on. The maids did a fantastic job. On our return to our room it looked like we had gone in for the 1st time (minus our cases). The dining room had stunning views and the breakfast was great, plenty to choose from. Even my boys were well set up for the day. There is plenty of places to see and things to do. The staff on reception gave us lots of ideas and were extremely helpful. Evening meals were great, again plenty to choose from and they catered for my boys well which saved a battle! The service was good and I must say the staff were very patient with us at times. The swimming pool was my boys highlight. Lovely sized swimming pool for the size of the hotel. We all even had a 2 minute session in the Jacuzzi. As I was on a few days rest I didn't tackle the gym however it did seem well equipped and clean (not that horrible sweaty smell as in some gyms) Overall it is a lovely clean hotel and I would gladly revisit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for leaving an honest and positive review, I am glad that your stay was up to yours and your boys expectations! The family rooms are spacious and there is plenty of room for the boys to be boys! I look forward to seeing you and your family here at the George again.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We called at this hotel whilst out for a drive in the area.
It was a lovely warm sunny day and we decided to have a drink in the gardens next to the river or perhaps tea outside. We recall sitting there years ago and it certainly is a lovely setting. We had our small dog with us and unfortunately as soon as we got out of the car we were met with a large sign which said " no dogs past this point" . This effectively meant that there was nowhere at all where we could sit with the dog and enjoy a drink. Unusual for a hotel in walking / fishing country.
(We travel all over the country with him and to be honest he has better habits than some children but that's another story!)
I fully appreciate each hotels individual policy on doggy matters so decided to go inside to ask if there was a bar where we would be welcome.
The reception area looks quite smart but unfortunately the whole area was deserted (the hotel equivilant of the Marie Celeste?) Unable to find anyone to speak to at all we drove on. Out of interest when I got home I looked at the hotels website and our trusty trip adviser reviews. There is some discrepancy in general as the website for the group says only service animals welcome.
Yet there are trip adviser reviews from people who have stayed at the hotel with their dogs! I found the hotel website reviews compared to the trip adviser reviews quite interesting too. So for the first time ever visited somewhere and unable to review. A pity, the George has an enviable position and I would have liked to enjoy a drink and the view. My average score is therefore based on first impressions of the outside and reception area of the hotel. I cannot rate the service or any product as we didn't get any.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy the facilities at the George. Unfortunately dogs are not allowed in the public areas of the hotel. However we do allow well behaved dog’s in the garden areas as long as they are on a lead. Once again thank you for leaving your review, we do read all of our trip advisor comments and take the seriously. We hope to see you and your doggy again the future.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Had a lovely weekend at the George on 23/08/13 - 26/08/13. We stayed in a Standard room that had been updated which was quite pleasant. We usually stay in a Superior room but as it was only for a weekend we thought we would try that one instead. The only thing we found was that the 'scenic view' was partly spoiled as we were looking onto the restaurant roof!! (Room 312). Would look better if painted green to blend in with the scenery. The swimming pool/steam room etc., was not what we expected and the changing rooms were not very clean either. Very much in need of some tlc!! The food was very good and the staff were very helpful but as we always find with Shearings hotels, not enough of them but they coped very well. All in all we enjoyed our break.

Room Tip: If we went again we would book a superior room even for a weekend as they have a better view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your honest review, the standard plus rooms are indeed very pleasant and I would recommend any future guests to check availability for these rooms when booking with the George, Unfortunately not all the rooms at the George have a perfect view of the river due to the lay out of the hotel, but I shall certainly take your comments on board regarding painting the wall. Once again thank your for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to The George Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Best Western Beaumont Hotel
Matfen Hall
#1 of 1 in Matfen
Battlesteads Hotel
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!