“Mrs Smith”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We have just return from The George Hotel after a 2 day break for our 35th wedding anniversary. We stayed at this hotel a few years ago when it was owned by the Swallow group. The hotel is on the banks of the river and I remember sitting outside taking in the peaceful atmosphere and always said that we would return some day, what a disappointment.
We are so happy to arrive home to get a sleep. We were wakened at 5.05 this morning with guest heading down for their early breakfast. It wasn't the people that was the problem it was the floorboards just outside our room, boy did they creak. If you are offered room 314 REFUSE. The hotel is so tired looking and the windows could do with a good clean to take in the views On the up side, the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am glad that you chose the George to celebrate your anniversary and I hope we made it special with the complimentary flowers etc in the restaurant. I am disheartened by your comments as none of this was mentioned during your stay. Had this of been brought up we would of done our utmost to prevent your stay being marred by the problems that occurred.
Once again thank you for leaving a review.

There are newer reviews for The George Hotel

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed here whilst walking Hadrian's wall. My room was well sized with all I needed, especially a bath which filled quickly and had lovely hot water. I had a good view from room. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were attentive, helpful and friendly. The food I had in the evening was quite good, however, I found breakfast not to be very nice. I chose poached egg on gammon. The egg was good but the meat was not very nice. The decor of the hotel is quite dated in the corridors, of which there are many! It was also stiflingly hot in the corridors, perhaps because the other guests all seemed to be elderly. However, I would stay here again. I paid double for being on my own, but expected that.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rgoo

Thank you for your honest review, I shall make sure the team hear your positive words. This is the first complaint regarding the gammon so I shall look into that. The corridors are due to get a lick of paint in the near future, we are currently in the process of updating bedrooms so they shall be done after this. The radiators in the corridor are heated by the water hot water system so can be warm at busy times of day. Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the George in the future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We had a recent short break here. We have stayed several times here from the days it was a Swallow Hotel. Today it is a bit tired. For all we had an upgrade to our room (newly decorated and with new furniture) the bathroom was in need of refurbishment. The fittings had once upon a time had a gold finish. This was worn away, leaving a not very good impression. Nevertheless the hotel was full and its situation beside the River Tyne is magnificent. Food was reasonable not fine dining more like school dinners chosen from a type of menu you would expect in a fast food chain. It did however change daily, unlike in many hotels today.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay at the George Hotel. Some of our rooms have indeed been refurbished and this is an ongoing process. I am sorry that the food was not up to your expectations; I have received good comments recently so I am shocked to hear your comments regarding school dinners and fast food restaurants. I certainly never had food that good at school! However I shall take your comments on board and discuss them with the Head Chef. Once again thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I remember this hotel from many years ago and was a little disappointed to find that it was not as I remember it. The hotel looks and feels tired but the room was clean and comfortable with a pleasant view across the gardens. Dinner was average and the staff in the dining room were warm, friendly and efficient.
Overall, a great location when visiting Northumberland and great value for money with the deal we got. You get what you pay for and for a one night stay I would use The George Hotel again.

Room Tip: Try and book a room near to the main facilities. It can be a bit of a route march from some bedroom...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for leaving a review, we do take the time to read and respond to all of our reviews. We are always trying to improve the hotel, and comments on here are very helpful for that. I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities at the George Hotel and we look forward to seeing you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Having stayed at a Coast and Country hotel before, I am on their mailing list and got a mailer with a good offer on an Autumn break with a bottle of wine thrown in. And having stayed at a Coast and Country hotel before, I had a good idea of what to expect - a mid range hotel, maybe a bit tired, popular with coach tours and a more mature clientele. And that's pretty much what I got.

I was put in room 305, a large, comfortable single room. The view was to the front over the river, but unfortunately over the roof of the restaurant. The bathroom was large, with period fixtures and fittings. Dinner was pretty much what you would expect on this kind of dinner deal - choice of about four starters, main courses and desserts, but you had the option to upgrade to one of the A La Carte options. The main courses were a bit like any mass catering - like a wedding or a conference. On the second day I upgraded to the cheese board for dessert, which was the best move I made - fabulous. There is a small cocktail bar, with a couple of adjacent lounges - one featuring a large TV where people were seated watching Coronation Street when I arrived. After dinner I chose to sit at the bar, where Michael the barman was very friendly.

The hotel gardens overlooking the river are lovely and it must be wonderful to sit there and enjoy a glass of wine on a summer's day. The main attractions in the immediate area amount to walking around some of the Hadrian's Wall sites. I did some googling before I went, and settled on a lovely six mile walk from the hotel, along a stretch of the Hadrian's Wall path, up to Fallowfield and Written Crag, and back down via the very pretty village of Wall (where a couple of pints in The Hadrian Hotel went down very well).

On returning to the hotel, I checked out the leisure facilities. Good sized pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna and Steam Room were just the job after my walk. But the facilities are desperately in need of some TLC. About one in three of the lockers in the changing rooms worked, and a lot of doors on cubicles in the changing area didn't close. It's difficult to put your finger on what the issues with the rest of the facilities was - it didn't feel dirty or dangerous in any way, just tired.

I have to comment on the fact that many reviews mention squeaky floorboards. This is true in the old, original part of the hotel. The room I was in was right next to the stairs down to reception and restaurant, so therefore I had the passing traffic from the whole corridor at breakfast time. Yes, it was a bit noisy, but that's part of the character of the hotel. A bit of common courtesy from people not talking at full volume to each other while passing other people's bedrooms at 8am wouldn't go amiss, but that's not the hotel's fault.

All in all, it was perfect for what I was looking for - a wee solo break with some walking and relaxing, and great value. I have a feeling I will be back.

Room Tip: If you don't want squeaky floorboards, ask for a room in the new extension.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank DDootsie

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review, I am delighted that everything was to your liking and the staff were able to accommodate your needs.
I will pass on your positive comments to both staff and management who I know will be delighted that we have another satisfied guest.
We do look forward to seeing you at the George Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

after reading some reviews I was a little worried, but things were not so bad at all.
On arrival we were made very welcome and soon in our standard room, the room was clean and tidy with a few tiny faults but im easy going enough to ignore these,
food in the evenings was fine and always tasty , with a fairly good choice, breakfast was good also. the staff were always willing to help and advise .

Room Tip: river view is the best
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for honest review, We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back at the George Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a night, and have been in several times for dinner/snacks.
Every time we have gone in for food there has always been some sort of issue: The children's menu is limited
The vegetarian options even more so, and when I asked for something different this was a huge issue.
The rooms need some serious TLC, especially the bathroom.
We sat in the bar once for twenty minutes before being served by a very bored looking, rude barman.
The grounds are stunning, the river being close by and the gardens are well tended.
In all, very sad and I will not be returning for a stay or otherwise.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Eleanor F

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I have checked the children’s menu before writing this and I believe there are ample choices on there. Vegetarian wise there is at least one different starter and main course option each evening, non vegetarian’s even tend to eat these dishes and praise them so I do find your comments quite disheartening. If you do ever decide to come into the hotel for snacks again and have any issues with your food, please do not hesitate to come and see management and we shall deal with the issue, unfortunately there is nothing that we can do this far down the line. Once again thank you for your review

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Best Western Beaumont Hotel
Matfen Hall
Matfen Hall
#1 of 1 in Matfen
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!