“A wonderful 5 days at the George Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
York, United Kingdom
“A wonderful 5 days at the George Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Just returned today (17.01.14) from a truly great few days with Shearings at the George Hotel. We had a lovely room overlooking the river. The food was delicious and the staff very friendly and efficient. We had a problem with our bathroom fan which became extremely noisey so we reported it to reception in the evening. The following day when we returned from our day out the fan had been repaired! Our driver John was super, he went out of his way to be helpful, witty and informative. We enjoyed all our trips to Durham, Newcastle and Hadrian's wall with stops to other towns too. Fantastic value for money.

3 Thank John H
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your kind and positive review, I will be certain to pass on your kind words to the people involved. John is here once again this week so I shall show him your kind words. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we look forward to seeing you at the George in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I had no idea where Chollerford was. Knowing it was about five miles from Hexam didn't help either. However I know now it is not all that far from Newcastle Upon Tyne.

It was dark when we arrived and so we couldn't really see much of the premises. I already knew it was situated right beside a river and looked really attractive.

Bearing in mind it was early Jan 2014 I would imagine this hotel would be really good later in the year and be able to sit outside, enjoying the long summer evenings and the views.

Our room was a few doors down from the back entrance door and at the other end of the hotel to reception, the dinning room and the lounges but quite near to the entrance to the Leisure facilities. Previous reviewers commended on the 'rabbit warren' of corridors and we totally understand what they meant. However, once you get used to it, it is not really all that bad (unless you have problems walking, in which case it could be annoying).

The Dinning room has large glass windows looking out over the narrow garden and the river. Speaking personally I found a lot of the hotel to be quite chilly but my partner did not have the same problem.

The food served was good especially as it was served hot! Whatever the kitchen staff are doing, they should continue!! The waiting staff all appeared to have been properly trained and took orders and served food as quickly and efficiently as was possible. (There were only about 4 waiting staff so when a lot of people arrived at the same time, being served took a few minutes longer).

The hotel has two areas near the Reception where you can get internet access. There are also 2 or 3 smallish lounges (who of whom share a open fire which has been sited in an opening between the two rooms - which was really nice, very inviting on a cold evening). One of them also has the bar - not large but in keeping with the size of the room.

The Reception staff were always helpful, but I admit I found the area behind the desk to be a tad bland by comparison with some reception desks I have seen in other establishments. (Nothing difficult or expansive - an ornament, a plant or some flowers wouldn't fix.)

Then there were the leisure facilities.
These are open to locals as well as hotel guests. There was a good, movement sensitive light which lit up the dark space between the hotel and the glass corridor to the facilities.

The corridor between the buildings is mostly glass and when I was there, it was very cold and damp and not inviting, especially the first time I used it. Knowing what to expect after that, helped and after three days I just walked a little faster through it.

There is quite a good Gym with a range of equipment on site and for me the only thing letting it down is the peeling paint probably due to how it is built and that it is not a brick structure attached to the main building.

The Swimming pool was better than I expected. The Jacuzzi was broken and someone told me that in fact it had been broken for quite some time. However since I don't use them I wasn't worried. The pool water was not too cold although I didn't see (or remember to ask) anyone what the temperature was.

I found the Steam Room and Sauna small, but still not a bad size and the only negative comments I heard was someone saying that the showers by the side of the pool (which you are supposed to use before and after using the pool) only delivered cold water!

For my part, my only dislike was the female changing rooms. I found them a tad cramped but it was the lockers I disliked most. A lot were unlockable and when I did find one that worked and locked it, I was left with the key! What I needed was some way to my costume or my person with as happens at my local pool. I believe you are supposed to either leave the key tucked into your towel or you don't use a locker and just put your belonging in a carrier bag and leave it on the floor or on one of the chairs around the pool.

My suggestion to the hotel manager was either offer a safety pin so you could pin the key to your costume, a large rubber band so you could slip the band on your wrist or ankle or perhaps Shearings could print their own lanyards (good advertising ploy?) and you simply put the key on their and hang the lanyard around your neck. The comment I had was that, apparently, no one had ever before commented on the lockers or key situation there.

We had room 105 and there was not much wrong with it if I am honest. The bathroom was also okay apart from the fact that the toilet handle was removable (it was just slipped on the metal spindle). One of the bathroom floor tiles was badly cracked but as it was in a place no one was likely to stand on, I could understand why nothing had been done to replace it. Finally the sink in this bathroom had the largest cracks I have ever seen in a hotel bathroom. Although it didn't leak, the cracks were more or less the length and width of the base and were definitely not attractive.

Maybe I shouldn't comment on the hot water situation, because an abundance of constant very hot water is usually an asset. For me though, the fact that there was only ever very, very hot water from the sink necessitating the use of the plug and cold water was a new experience for me. I also understand the shower offered either boiling hot water or very cold water and nothing inbetween.

I tested how hot the water was by putting some in the kettle and seeing how long it took before the kettle boiled.... it was less than 20 seconds later.

The George Hotel, Chollerford is not, in my opinion, a location for those wishing to use the local bus service as I think it would be okay to suggest it is somewhat isolated. However I think most people would either arrives, as we did, via a coach party or by car so getting around to local areas of interest would not be an issue.

All in all, although personally I would not return, I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 105 faced the back and side of the hotel. The view was not particularly good but it could have...
1 Thank Edgware2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay at The George Hotel, I have taken all of your comments on board and would just like to comment on a few points raised.
Unfortunately during your stay the leisure club was undergoing issues with the boilers so therefore the heating to the corridors and Jacuzzi was effectively switched of to try and push all heating power towards the pool. This did not affect the shower you mentioned as this is actually intended on being cold as it is to use after the sauna & steam room instead of a lunge pool. We have taken all locks out of both changing rooms that were not working, the ones that were working have been grouped together so there is plenty to use, also we have attached elastic bands for attachment to your wrist.
My maintenance team have been down there the last couple of days giving the gym side a lick of paint so the areas you mentioned have since been painted.
Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.
Preston, Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Having booked this hotel through Booking.com at a rate of £34 B&B for 2 people in a double standard room we, if I'm honest were not holding out much hope of this overnight stay being up to much.

However we were very pleasantly surprised! The hotel is set in a beautiful situ on the river banks of the North Tyne if I recall correctly. The hotel was relatively modern with a classic twist in the public area's. The bedroom was again modern ish with all you would need, hairdryer, TV, complimentary toiletries etc. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in in a hotel although the pillows were slightly too hard for me buts that's just a personal thing.

We decided to stay at the hotel for dinner and again we were not disappointed. It's not the best food I have ever had but it was very good and the service by the staff was excellent. They were very friendly, helpful and were also very attentive. Breakfast again was very good all round. No complaints whatsoever about the food.

When we came to check out the following morning we were only charged £13.50 for 2 x 2 course meals and coffee. On querying this they told us it was correct as we were on a special deal. So for £47.50 for B/B/D this was a fantastic stay.

We left feeling like we had received an extremely good deal and had a lovely stay and even though we hadn't paid the full price we still got a very good service with nothing missing.

We were moving on to another area and after arriving to where we thought we would have liked to have stayed. We took one look and dismissed it immediately. After pondering for sometime where to stay we actually decided to go back to The George. Again booking another room and getting the same deal £34, which we were very surprised to get.

We were booked into another room this time, having all the comforts of the last room. Again a very good nights sleep and with softer pillows this time too!

On the first night the hotel restaurant, bar and bedroom and other public areas were freezing cold. Quite a few other residents were also complaining about it. On mentioning this to reception they advised us that a boiler had broken but would be soon repaired. Our second night did seem warmer although we may just have got acclimatised!

We decided to use the hotel pool and facilities that evening. Now this is where we were very disappointed. The changing rooms are very tired, smell damp and have mould and mildew on the walls and ceilings. The pool water was very cold indeed, even the locals who use it said the same. The jacuzzi and steam room were also not working either. The shower I tried to use in the changing room again was working but with cold water only. The broken boiler was the source of the problem with regards to the water according to reception. Which would explain why the hotel was also cold as above.

On a slightly negative point, the hotel is very tired in places and needs a lot of TLC. However on saying that it does look like it is in the process of some renovation in areas, ie painting but I personally think it needs a little more than a lick of paint.

Would we go back? Yes without a doubt, this is a lovely hotel and for the money you simply can't go wrong. We went expecting very little and came away very surprised indeed. If they get the hotel tidied up this could be a little gem in Northumberland!

Room Tip: When booking your room ask for a room in the newer section of the hotel. The floorboards are very n...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed both stays with us at the George. We are well known for our great value for money. I shall make sure your comments are passed on so they can be acknowledged by everyone. The boiler was indeed broken for the leisure facilities and has now been repaired.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Late arrival on a business trip. Receptionist very helpful and rate for twin B+B was exceptional although this was driven by a quiet week. Rooms nice, location great.
Too late for evening Meal and a little isolated for other options but helped with takeaway order in by reception. Would certainly stay again :-)

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review; if you are ever in the area on business again we hope to welcome you back to the George.
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Not allowed into rooms until ALL the rooms were ready, a very strange rule, some people waited quite a long time. ( I beleive H & S reared it's head on that one)
Some people repaired to the bar, although the OTT prices did put you off.
If they aimed for pub prices they might get more sales. As it was the atmosphere was very flat during the evenings, probably due to lack of customers (most off to the pub)
The hotel is in a fine location & the deals offered by Coast & country are good value.
THe front door has still not been fixed & is very hard to open. The food was ok & sometimes very good. Breakfast prunes though were horrible, sour & gritty, I have noticed this @ other hotels in the chain (so change supplier) Coffee & tea, very good.
Housekeeping staff were excellent, very friendly & helpful.
The one thing that really spoiled the stay was the bedroom. we paid extra for an upgrade & the room itself was fine, although the bathroom needs upgrading. Sleeping was the real problem
due to the excessive noise ALL through the night, from the kitchen below. Pots & pans clattering, banging doors & tables, sometimes raised voices & this was ALL night into the early hours. I complained @ reception & although they apologised nothing changed & the noises continued throughout our stay. Avoid, if you go, the bedrooms over the kitchen.

Room Tip: Do not have a room over the kitchen
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brian B
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay at The George. Check in time is 3 o’clock unless the housekeeping team do get everything done early. We do tend to wait until all rooms are ready especially on a Monday and Friday as housekeeping may still be in the corridors and this can cause trip hazards for guests walking down them. I am sorry that your stay was marred by the noise from the kitchen, I have informed the night porter and he will keep a close eye on this situation. I have not had any complaints regarding this personally over the past months.
Once again thank you for your review and I do hope we get to see you again at the George
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

The George Hotel is set in a beautiful location within well kept gardens adjacent to the river. This location has all the ingredients to be very special. I want the following to be constructive and fair and would really like the next time we visit to achieve 5 stars.
Well this is our experience, this location for the masses is some drive away, for us 12 miles so to get customers there it requires something special in order for customers to pass so many quality eating locations.
On arrival it was raining, we were with a baby so it was with dismay that the Hotel entrance was locked or so it seemed, with a babe in arms in the cold and rain we tried to find another entrance. Eventually we returned to the main entrance to find with a little elbow grease we could open the ill fitting door. On entering we were a little surprised to see the receptionist who could not have failed to have seen our difficulty. So with now wet clothes inc babe we went to the restaurant. The restaurant has stunning views across the garden on to the river but the furniture could do with updating, the restaurant was quiet and devoid of staff.
First impressions were not great!
Eventually the one and only waitress arrived. She very kindly showed us to our table and took our order. A glass of wine and a pint of orange juice and lemonade was the order. £5.20 for the orange and lemonade was outrageous.
The Hotel offer a two and three course Sunday lunch special menu 3 courses for under £15 was excellent.
I always consider that when purchasing food in a restaurant that it should be special and at least as good and hopefully better than you can make at home.
Well starters were soup and pâté. Both were ok, a kitchen catering for this clientele have no excuse for not making their own soup and pâté. Soup may have been homemade but unsure.
Main courses we had The George Platter. Beef Pork and Turkey served with boiled potatoes with skins and roast potatoes in more than enough gravy. Gravy was also very good. The meats were adequate in size and perfectly cooked. Yorkshires, my favourite were excellent. Crackling was first class. Roast potatoes had been cooked in my view with poor cooking oil which had a residual taste. The main course was served with vegetables and was either over cooked or frozen. No opportunity given or offered for horseradish etc.
Sweet our choice was chocolate fudge cake, this was as expected a prepurchased Costco type cake and served with squirty cream (real cream please) or ice cream. What was unforgivable though to the two ladies receiving was that they weren't warmed through.
Food was ok, but was just ok.
Value was good.
Conclusion. This place has all the ingredients of being a great venue for Sunday lunch but really did flatter to deceive.
The owners are trying to attract custom to this wonderful location.
My advice to the general manager is to get all employees into one room and ask them to work as a team, from the maintenance man to fix the front (page) door to the receptionist watching us struggle with a child to get into the hotel, to the restaurant manager who considers one waitress in the restaurant is sufficient, to the chefs who need with very little additional effort to make the food a memorable experience. The faults witnessed here and experienced could be fixed in my view without extra cash, just a little extra care. New potatoes in skins are no replacement for creamed potatoes. Roasts should include parsnips and other root veg.
This place is so close to making this a regular culinary experience I will watch with interest and make the promise to write another review to give the positive feedback.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Nufcrules
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am sorry that the service you received was not adequate. We normally receive high praise for our Sunday lunch so I am saddened to see your comments, I have passed them onto the Head Chef and the restaurant manager. The doors have temporarily been fixed and we are looking at getting new doors in the near future. Once again thank you for your review.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

This hotel is set in an idyllic beautifull location with the river tyne running in front of it and only 5 miles into the old market town of Hexham.This is our 3rd time to this hotel,The rooms have all been very clean.The food menu has an excellent varied quality of food.This is also a superb location to stay even in winter.Thedining room service was very good and the waiters worked hard and fast. We were in room 120 which was good at the end of the corridor passing through a fire door half way which banged by rooms 111 and 112 and I would not liked to have stayed in those rooms.As all the other fire doors closed very quietly.Whenhanding my key back I told the 2 behind the desk and also the engineer was there and he said it would be fixed that day the staff appreciated my comment for other guests to stay in the 2 rooms.My friends and our selves had a good weekend P.S. THe Bar drinks and wine are still too expensive.

Room Tip: Check on rooms 111 and 112 to see if fire door has been fixed outside rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your positive and honest review, I shall pass on all of your comments to the people involved. The rooms are getting painted over the coming months and the corridors are finished. Once again thank you for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Langley Castle Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,460 reviews
Battlesteads Hotel
BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!