“We won't rush back”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The George is difficult to review. It has decent enough rooms (especially for the price), though from listening to other residents complaining about cramped quarters, failing electricity, soaked carpets etc we were lucky with our spacious and well-equipped double (with a view to the river). Lounges and bar areas are comfortable, and there are one or two zones where internet access is possible. There is also a leisure centre though when we stayed most of the facilities weren’t working (pool was too cold, equipment was broken) properly.

The restaurant is a soulless place ideal for accommodating large tour groups that are clearly the hotel’s bed and butter (especially off-season). The lack of character could be ignored if the food were good; it isn’t. The a’ la carte menu reads well. We chose duck breast and slow-cooked lamb shank for our main dishes (these followed a revolting ‘tempura’ prawns of soggy batter and bland prawns that spoke of the cheapest frozen catering supplies). The meats were cooked more or less as expected, but the duck was totally without flavor and the sauces on both dishes had the unmistakable taste of the packet (they were the same but one had a dash of red wine added). The food isn’t great value but the wine list is worse. The selection is limited and the price-quality ratio is absurd.

Service was mixed. The inevitable East European waiting staff was efficient and polite, as was the local reception team. The guy on the front desk overnight evidently had no idea he had an early riser on the internet in the lounge and let off a string of f-words and other expletives in a loud diatribe about management, guests and no doubt more besides. We won’t rush back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank MozEcoTours
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, unfortunately during your stay the boilers for the leisure club had indeed broken down. Since then we have purchased three brand new boilers and they are all up and running, so all the facilities down there are working.
I am sorry that your experience in the restaurant wasn’t up to your expectations, I have passed on your comments to the head chef who is going to speak to the suppliers, certainly about the duck as this is the first comment and we do not want it appearing again.
I have taken your comments on board regarding the night porter and this is currently under investigation. Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed for a weekend in January so the gardens looked a bit bleak, but the location was beautiful and we paid extra for river views, The room was large, very clean and comfortable as was the bathroom. The food was excellent and the staff were very friendly and efficient. However, the mattress on the double bed in our superior room was the worst mattress I have ever slept on, each individual spring could be seen and felt through the paper thin covering and I found it impossible to have a good nights sleep. This is a huge issue and one that the hotel really should address as soon as possible as I would love to be able to recommend this hotel to my friends as it ticked all the other boxes,

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your honest and positive review, I am sorry that your stay was marred by the mattress. The mattress in the Superior Room is actually quite new so I shall look into that as it is not acceptable.
Please do recommend us to your friends and family, and please do come back and see us again, maybe in the summer time when everything is looking a bit more green!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Returned on Friday from a 5 day coach holiday with Shearings and what a great time all had..its hard to say bad things about a Hotel when you have had 4 nights bed breakfast and evening meal, all of which i honestly can say where very enjoyable,superb service and organised in time delayed shifts so the restauraunt was never heaving and noisey...quality coach transport through out,excursions to Newcastle,Hexam and Hadrians wall...free use of a nice size pool that was clean and warm,a Jaccuzi,steam room and sauna that where all working,for £99 !!!!! oh and i forgot to mention we also had £25 in hotel spend..so £74....amazing...although after i had been discussing this with someone i walked past the reception and heard a conversation where the receptionist was taking a booking and he said to the person booking it was £90 A NIGHT !!! and £40 extra for something,possibly an upgraded room maybe,not sure what...so for the price i paid via Shearings i would have to me deranged to say anything poor....now if i had paid £90 a night i would say that the Hot water in the bathroom was possibly dangerous it became so hot so quick...as you sat on the toilet the two floor tiles where your left foot was positioned was cracked/smashed into possibly 50 pieces and a possible danger,the whole left side of the toilet was badly layed and needed something as little as an extra layer of vinal to lift it up...we where in Room 101which was at the back of the Hotel and perfect for anyone who couldnt manage steps as there was none,through the main door and straight to our front door,while it was a maze of corridors to get to reception,which did take a while to get it right we found it twice as quick and twice as short to go out the back main door and walk round the hotel to the front entrance...im serious and not kidding....it was a twin bedded room and the beds firm but very comfortable,no river view out of window but no noise from the hotel either which was better... im not sure what the reviewers one or two back meant about not near bus stops as they are no more then 250 yards from the car park entrance...one direction to Hexam where buses to many destinations went,hexam being less then 5 miles away...and buses in the other direction to some sleepy village every two hours...buses to Hexam where not much more frequent but easy enough if you planned...accross the road from the Hotel was a cafe, very clean,probably ten or twelve tables,superb food and good portions at a decent price...the hotel did food at luchtimes too but i liked the cafe as felt open and a good feel to it...as mentioned by a previous reviewer the walk to the Spa from the Hotel while being under cover was very cold but dry...the Spa did have its faults if i had been a paying customer,in the mens changeing room half the lockers didnt work and in the Ladies apparently it was even worse...one thing we found was it was adviseable to get advanced info when it was mothers and baby mornings in the pool as although you was allowed in it did hamper things a bit but we didnt mind as good to see you ones leaning to swim and laughing out loud and having fun...is is Winter time so the gardens where as you would expect but still better then none,and as you was next to the river there was beautiful river views and picturesque views of the triple arched road bridge...all in all we had a wonderful stay,we went for a much needed rest so didnt go on any of the free excursions although we did catch the service bus to Hexam which is a lovely place..we go on Shearings and others coach holidays as they are cheap and could never afford £90 a night so hard for me to say if £90 a night is good or bad .....But £99 and £25 free booze at the bar was Bloody Marvelous Value...i would definatly recommend others to go on the coach trip there as the best all round experience we have had yet...if you want to hear the most polite Geordie you ever heard he serves in the restauraunt,at a distance we thought it sounded like an experienced middle aged waiter from Downton Abbey with his "please can i" "thank you sir" "is everything all right sir" ect ect...and then when he came close he cant be more then 20..it was so funny...all the staff where brilliant and helpful at all times...ive just been reminded while looking sideways at someone saying how noisey their bathroom fan was....we didnt have a bathroom fan !! and the window in the bathroom or in the bedroom couldn't be opened,we tried all manner of ways but they gave no impression of opening,i should have asked but never...but definatly no bathroom fan which is odd...lastly the internet...this was only available around reception area and it was "cloud" and it was awfully slow...for business purposes it would be very frustrating....

Room Tip: room 101 is a very good room if you have a wheelchair person as no steps through the door at the bac...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank keithhazel13
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave this in depth review, I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the George. I shall pass on your kind words to the waiter that you mentioned. I would like to inform future guests that a few reviews do state that the corridor is cold, I am happy to inform you that all the boilers in the leisure club are up and running thus meaning that the radiators in the corridors and changing rooms are on full blast! The sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and pool are at the correct temperatures also. Once again thank you for your positive review and we look forward to seeing you at the George again.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Just returned today (17.01.14) from a truly great few days with Shearings at the George Hotel. We had a lovely room overlooking the river. The food was delicious and the staff very friendly and efficient. We had a problem with our bathroom fan which became extremely noisey so we reported it to reception in the evening. The following day when we returned from our day out the fan had been repaired! Our driver John was super, he went out of his way to be helpful, witty and informative. We enjoyed all our trips to Durham, Newcastle and Hadrian's wall with stops to other towns too. Fantastic value for money.

3  Thank John H

Thank you for your kind and positive review, I will be certain to pass on your kind words to the people involved. John is here once again this week so I shall show him your kind words. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we look forward to seeing you at the George in the future

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I had no idea where Chollerford was. Knowing it was about five miles from Hexam didn't help either. However I know now it is not all that far from Newcastle Upon Tyne.

It was dark when we arrived and so we couldn't really see much of the premises. I already knew it was situated right beside a river and looked really attractive.

Bearing in mind it was early Jan 2014 I would imagine this hotel would be really good later in the year and be able to sit outside, enjoying the long summer evenings and the views.

Our room was a few doors down from the back entrance door and at the other end of the hotel to reception, the dinning room and the lounges but quite near to the entrance to the Leisure facilities. Previous reviewers commended on the 'rabbit warren' of corridors and we totally understand what they meant. However, once you get used to it, it is not really all that bad (unless you have problems walking, in which case it could be annoying).

The Dinning room has large glass windows looking out over the narrow garden and the river. Speaking personally I found a lot of the hotel to be quite chilly but my partner did not have the same problem.

The food served was good especially as it was served hot! Whatever the kitchen staff are doing, they should continue!! The waiting staff all appeared to have been properly trained and took orders and served food as quickly and efficiently as was possible. (There were only about 4 waiting staff so when a lot of people arrived at the same time, being served took a few minutes longer).

The hotel has two areas near the Reception where you can get internet access. There are also 2 or 3 smallish lounges (who of whom share a open fire which has been sited in an opening between the two rooms - which was really nice, very inviting on a cold evening). One of them also has the bar - not large but in keeping with the size of the room.

The Reception staff were always helpful, but I admit I found the area behind the desk to be a tad bland by comparison with some reception desks I have seen in other establishments. (Nothing difficult or expansive - an ornament, a plant or some flowers wouldn't fix.)

Then there were the leisure facilities.
These are open to locals as well as hotel guests. There was a good, movement sensitive light which lit up the dark space between the hotel and the glass corridor to the facilities.

The corridor between the buildings is mostly glass and when I was there, it was very cold and damp and not inviting, especially the first time I used it. Knowing what to expect after that, helped and after three days I just walked a little faster through it.

There is quite a good Gym with a range of equipment on site and for me the only thing letting it down is the peeling paint probably due to how it is built and that it is not a brick structure attached to the main building.

The Swimming pool was better than I expected. The Jacuzzi was broken and someone told me that in fact it had been broken for quite some time. However since I don't use them I wasn't worried. The pool water was not too cold although I didn't see (or remember to ask) anyone what the temperature was.

I found the Steam Room and Sauna small, but still not a bad size and the only negative comments I heard was someone saying that the showers by the side of the pool (which you are supposed to use before and after using the pool) only delivered cold water!

For my part, my only dislike was the female changing rooms. I found them a tad cramped but it was the lockers I disliked most. A lot were unlockable and when I did find one that worked and locked it, I was left with the key! What I needed was some way to my costume or my person with as happens at my local pool. I believe you are supposed to either leave the key tucked into your towel or you don't use a locker and just put your belonging in a carrier bag and leave it on the floor or on one of the chairs around the pool.

My suggestion to the hotel manager was either offer a safety pin so you could pin the key to your costume, a large rubber band so you could slip the band on your wrist or ankle or perhaps Shearings could print their own lanyards (good advertising ploy?) and you simply put the key on their and hang the lanyard around your neck. The comment I had was that, apparently, no one had ever before commented on the lockers or key situation there.

We had room 105 and there was not much wrong with it if I am honest. The bathroom was also okay apart from the fact that the toilet handle was removable (it was just slipped on the metal spindle). One of the bathroom floor tiles was badly cracked but as it was in a place no one was likely to stand on, I could understand why nothing had been done to replace it. Finally the sink in this bathroom had the largest cracks I have ever seen in a hotel bathroom. Although it didn't leak, the cracks were more or less the length and width of the base and were definitely not attractive.

Maybe I shouldn't comment on the hot water situation, because an abundance of constant very hot water is usually an asset. For me though, the fact that there was only ever very, very hot water from the sink necessitating the use of the plug and cold water was a new experience for me. I also understand the shower offered either boiling hot water or very cold water and nothing inbetween.

I tested how hot the water was by putting some in the kettle and seeing how long it took before the kettle boiled.... it was less than 20 seconds later.

The George Hotel, Chollerford is not, in my opinion, a location for those wishing to use the local bus service as I think it would be okay to suggest it is somewhat isolated. However I think most people would either arrives, as we did, via a coach party or by car so getting around to local areas of interest would not be an issue.

All in all, although personally I would not return, I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 105 faced the back and side of the hotel. The view was not particularly good but it could have...
1  Thank Edgware2011

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay at The George Hotel, I have taken all of your comments on board and would just like to comment on a few points raised.
Unfortunately during your stay the leisure club was undergoing issues with the boilers so therefore the heating to the corridors and Jacuzzi was effectively switched of to try and push all heating power towards the pool. This did not affect the shower you mentioned as this is actually intended on being cold as it is to use after the sauna & steam room instead of a lunge pool. We have taken all locks out of both changing rooms that were not working, the ones that were working have been grouped together so there is plenty to use, also we have attached elastic bands for attachment to your wrist.
My maintenance team have been down there the last couple of days giving the gym side a lick of paint so the areas you mentioned have since been painted.
Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Having booked this hotel through Booking.com at a rate of £34 B&B for 2 people in a double standard room we, if I'm honest were not holding out much hope of this overnight stay being up to much.

However we were very pleasantly surprised! The hotel is set in a beautiful situ on the river banks of the North Tyne if I recall correctly. The hotel was relatively modern with a classic twist in the public area's. The bedroom was again modern ish with all you would need, hairdryer, TV, complimentary toiletries etc. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in in a hotel although the pillows were slightly too hard for me buts that's just a personal thing.

We decided to stay at the hotel for dinner and again we were not disappointed. It's not the best food I have ever had but it was very good and the service by the staff was excellent. They were very friendly, helpful and were also very attentive. Breakfast again was very good all round. No complaints whatsoever about the food.

When we came to check out the following morning we were only charged £13.50 for 2 x 2 course meals and coffee. On querying this they told us it was correct as we were on a special deal. So for £47.50 for B/B/D this was a fantastic stay.

We left feeling like we had received an extremely good deal and had a lovely stay and even though we hadn't paid the full price we still got a very good service with nothing missing.

We were moving on to another area and after arriving to where we thought we would have liked to have stayed. We took one look and dismissed it immediately. After pondering for sometime where to stay we actually decided to go back to The George. Again booking another room and getting the same deal £34, which we were very surprised to get.

We were booked into another room this time, having all the comforts of the last room. Again a very good nights sleep and with softer pillows this time too!

On the first night the hotel restaurant, bar and bedroom and other public areas were freezing cold. Quite a few other residents were also complaining about it. On mentioning this to reception they advised us that a boiler had broken but would be soon repaired. Our second night did seem warmer although we may just have got acclimatised!

We decided to use the hotel pool and facilities that evening. Now this is where we were very disappointed. The changing rooms are very tired, smell damp and have mould and mildew on the walls and ceilings. The pool water was very cold indeed, even the locals who use it said the same. The jacuzzi and steam room were also not working either. The shower I tried to use in the changing room again was working but with cold water only. The broken boiler was the source of the problem with regards to the water according to reception. Which would explain why the hotel was also cold as above.

On a slightly negative point, the hotel is very tired in places and needs a lot of TLC. However on saying that it does look like it is in the process of some renovation in areas, ie painting but I personally think it needs a little more than a lick of paint.

Would we go back? Yes without a doubt, this is a lovely hotel and for the money you simply can't go wrong. We went expecting very little and came away very surprised indeed. If they get the hotel tidied up this could be a little gem in Northumberland!

Room Tip: When booking your room ask for a room in the newer section of the hotel. The floorboards are very n...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed both stays with us at the George. We are well known for our great value for money. I shall make sure your comments are passed on so they can be acknowledged by everyone. The boiler was indeed broken for the leisure facilities and has now been repaired.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Late arrival on a business trip. Receptionist very helpful and rate for twin B+B was exceptional although this was driven by a quiet week. Rooms nice, location great.
Too late for evening Meal and a little isolated for other options but helped with takeaway order in by reception. Would certainly stay again :-)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review; if you are ever in the area on business again we hope to welcome you back to the George.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
The Beaumont Hexham, Hotel
Matfen Hall
Matfen Hall
#1 of 1 in Matfen
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!