“Lovely little find”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely little find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently during a trip around Hadrian's Wall. Having read the mixed bag of reviews we were slightly apprehensive to say the least. However both myself and my boyfriend were pleasantly surprised. Yes the hotel could do with a lick of pain here or there but it was a lovely little find all in all.

The staff on arrival were both friendly and helpful. The pool and spa area was (albeit a bit like a local swimming baths) charming in its own right. The pool water, of which I had read various reviews saying it was cold, was in fact delightfully toasty. It was like a dip in a giant bath - perfect considering the biting weather of the day. The jacuzzi sadly wasn't working but as the steam room and sauna were, we didn't mind at all.

Breakfast in the morning was delicious. Cooked perfectly and to order so everything was warm and tasty. The waiting staff again were very warm and helpful.

The gardens in which the hotel is situated were very picturesque and I imagine in the height of summer it's lovely to sit out will a cool cocktail and simply enjoy the scenery.

The only real down fall to our stay was in the hotel room itself. The room was a good size and had all the amenities we would need. Very comfy bed, toasty warm and plenty of hot water for a good bubble bath. However the lighting was quite poor and the small lamp at the vanity mirror didn't work - not great for make up application for us girls! And finally there was an adjoining room which although locked was far from sound proof. We could literally hear word for word the conversation of the people in the room next to us. A little bit cringe worthy and putting a bit of a hold on our romantic break in the country.

Even so all in all we found the hotel to be super. A lovely stay in lovely surroundings and would definitely think about coming back - although possibly in an upgraded room with no adjoining rooms!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jofuss1
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your honest and positive review, my team will be thrilled to hear your kind words.
I am going to discuss the adjoining doors with my line manager and see if there is something that we can do with them in the near future as we have had a couple of comments now. We do like to read and reply to all of our trip advisor reviews for this purpose…. Watch this space!
The gardens are amazing in the summer, we are currently letting the grass grown were the tables were last summer but they shall be going back and the garden will be all set for the summer over the next couple of weeks, here’s to a hot one!
Once again thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant looked like nice during day but when It came to the night time the room is far too lit up and open. Tables of twos all in rows. The room could be decorated so much better with ambient lighten.such a shame as it lacked atmosphere. No music or vibe. All you hear are the waitresses or waitors running back and forth which was unrealaxing. Very bizzare style of hosting.menu for half board wasnt the best but tasted lovely minus the waters down custard. We were out of restaurant in 45mins eating a three course. Rooms need bit treatment to them but not too much. Door kept banging outside room 111 and could hear the quietest convo. Windows in room dont open. Generally a retired persons vibe and surprised the size of TVs were put in the rooms my tablets bigger. No decaffe coffee in room either. Overall an average stay but in a nice location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am glad that you found the staff friendly and helpful.
I have taken your comments regarding the restaurant on board and I shall discuss this with my restaurant manager in due course. We do have a sound system for the restaurant attached to an iPod with thousands of songs so I am confused to as why it was not in use.
The door closer to the fire door outside 111 has since been repaired, upon inspection of the window I did manage to open the window on the top half.
I am sorry that there was not any decaf coffee in the room, we try to keep things limited to reduce waste but we do have some at reception and should you of asked we would have been more than happy to provide you with some.
Keighley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Quite possibly the most negative hotel experience I have had either in the UK or abroad. For our significantly overpriced evening meal on our day of arrival we had to wait 50 minutes for the starter, which turned out to be frozen fayre from 3663 or somesuch catering company. Our complaint was met with a slightly surly and non-comittal response. My main course was certainly not freshly made - difficult to discern whether it was from a jar or a packet. My daughter's steak was satisfactory but came with frozen chips and over salted and overcooked vegetables - I would certainly have expected hand made chips for the almost £20.00 charge. Obviously we chose to eat out on subsequent evenings. My first breakfast came with scrambled eggs which resembled salty porridge - presumably powdered egg. On the second morning I opted for gammon with poached egg.The 'gammon' was some type of highly processed tinned pork and the egg tasted very strange.
Our room was bizarrely painted in a drab, tarmac grey colour with red shades on all the lights, which made it look like like a downmarket brothel and made it quite awkward to see. The room was far too hot to sleep in, so I contacted the night. Although a lovely and well meaning chap, he came equipped with a j-cloth, which wasn't the correct equipment to resolve the problem. It has to be said, that the room cleaning lady was very friendly and efficient and the room was very clean.
The communal areas were drab, shabby and ill- decorated throughout, giving the whole place the feel of a mausoleum.
Although the pool itself was very nice, the changing areas were dirty and scruffy, with damp ceilings and peeling walls.
Overall the establishment did little to justify its price tag or its three star status and it is certainly one place to which I will never return.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ANW47G
Thank you for your review, firstly in regards to the food, I would like to state that we do not and never will use powdered egg for scrambled egg. The “Gammon” is actually on the menu as ham and eggs and I can assure you that it was sliced ham not pork.
I am sorry about the delays in the restaurant, the time frame that you have stated certainly is not acceptable and I shall see why this was the case.
I do not feel the comments regarding the rooms likening to that of a brothel are necessary, the rooms are decorated like this around the hotel group and receives good comments all around.
We have had issues with the ventilation in the leisure facilities but this has been fixed since the start of February.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Travellers are raving about these Chollerford hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Last minute booking I didnt hold high hopes for a pub hotel beside the river. Well I was soooo surprised!

The rooms are well furnished and well equipped. The breakfast is plentiful and has many options.

Most guests were retirees however this doesnt reflect the establishment. There's a fully equipped gym and pool with a spa. Chess set in the garden.

Would happily stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Missy_Aussie
Thank you for the kind and positive review, I am glad to hear that we beat your expectations and that you would happily stay again.
The chess board is a good talking point and it does bring out the competitive side in people!
Once again thanks and we hope to see you again in the future.
North Shields, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I have stayed at the George many times. I love the location, especially when the weather is good. had two rooms for me and the kids and my mam and dad who are in their late 70s. I really enjoyed the pool area which was clean and tidy with the water warm in the pool.

Our evening meal was a little strange with the waitress wanting me to commit to the number of courses we would have before we had even had our main course. She wanted me to sign the bill to my room before any food had passed my lips. I refused and then I think the main waiter looked after our table. Food was good. Breakfast was good although the restaurant area was quite cold.

I was in a big room with the kids which got a bit cold during the night. My parents room was fine. For what Paid for the hotel it was value for money. The hotel needs investment but it wouldn't stop me returning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Trashcansinatras
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am sorry that the restaurant had a few issues and I shall be sure to investigate what has happened.
I am glad to hear that you were not put of and you will be back, Hopefully it should be another good summer in Northumberland.
The family rooms are spacious ideed, I have had my maintenance team check the heating in the family rooms to check that the heat is adaquate.
MILNTHORPE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We have just returned from a relaxing three day break at The George Hotel. The weather was not too inviting but the hotel and staff definitely were. We could not have asked for a more friendly welcome. We had a standard room which was clean and comfortable. The food was excellent - having been to three other Coast & Country hotels - I would say that the quality of food at The George was definitely the best. Set in beautiful gardens and within easy reach of historical places to visit and see. Definitely one to be revisited!

2 Thank LINDA W
Thank you for your review, such a shame that the weather was not how it is at the moment with this sudden influx of sun for your stay! Hopefully we shall see you again in the summer months when you can enjoy the use of our gardens?
Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We know the George Hotel of old, having lived in the north east for many years. In our younger days we always aspired to staying there as we loved our occasional treats of lunch or afternoon tea by the river. Having moved away a few years ago we were thrilled to be able to have the opportunity to have a night away and to be able to visit the George.

Firstly price - we paid £115 for a standard room - quite a bit more than we would have liked, but thought it was a real treat and loved that there was a swimming pool, so decided to go for it. Booking.com assured us this was the cheapest price and we thought we had a good deal based on our memories of the George.

How wrong we were. The location, of course, is amazing - but we knew that already. The reception area keeps up the appearance of old gentility with good carpets and the old woodwork, but unfortunately this is as far as it goes.

The room was in the new extension. As we walked there (I have severe arthritis and 2 recent hip replacements) it got worse and worse. It was lovely that it overlooked the river and garden. Awful in that the room and furniture need some serious updating. If it was either vintage or 80s retro it would be fine, but unfortunately it is simply neglected and shabby. The grouting in the bathroom is awful. It is a bath tap over bath, not electric shower. The bed had a mattress that you could hear and feel every spring every time you moved and a quilt (no sheet) that was as thin and cheap as they could get away with. The bed had clearly been made by only one person as the sheet on the base was long on one side and not able to be tucked in at all on the other. We re made it ourselves. The carpet is stained and the whole room is generally bleak. I have paid half the price in hotels previously for a significantly better room. If I had paid the £40 or so mentioned in other reviews it may have been expected, but certainly not for the horrifyingly inflated charge we had. ... and yes - we took photos to prove it.

The restaurant is soulless. We actually found it quite hilarious because it, and the menu, was like a trip back to our early dating days in the 80s. The table had no linen, paper napkins stuffed in glasses, no flowers or effort of any kind. The menu was laminated and still had an 80s style quality to the food. I almost expected fanned melon - though it was there, with parma ham and probably a maraschino cherry too. Goodness only knows what the young staff think of this. They were all very friendly, but with no older experienced member overseeing everything, it was all a bit chaotic.

The bar was infrequently attended - my husband eventually had to wander to reception to ask. The beers and whisky were limited in choice and even the advertising on the bar menu was a trip back in time! The cocktail bar 'cocktails' come from packets.

There was no reason for the hurry in restaurant service, other than we knew there was clearly a sitting system in place as bookings for it are made for each 15 minutes. However, we were asked for our order almost as soon as we were given menus and the starter arrived followed by our main course and we were out in less than 45 minutes. We are vegetarian, which we had stated ahead. There were 2 choices - both pumpkin, which my husband hates. The waiter arranged for us both to have Thai curry and assured us there was no fish sauce in it. I doubt the chef checked, because - while the vegetables were beautifully stir fried, the sauce came from a packet. The indian snack starter we had was very nice for 3 pieces. However, we were fairly horrified when receiving our bill the next day to find we had the pleasure of paying £42 for it, not including our £20 bottle of indifferent sparkling wine (they didn't have our first choice of Prosecco in stock).

All the public areas are cold, despite the fire in one corner. Incidentally it was Valentine's night. We tend to avoid it, feeling if we can't treat each other every day as though it were Valentine's day then what is the point. The hotel is clearly of the same opinion. I hope there was no one there hoping to celebrate a romantic night out because they would have absolutely no hint of it.

Wi Fi - is advertised - there is limited reception for mobile phones in this area, never mind Broadband, but there was no Wi Fi even in public areas. The receptionist tried, unsuccessfully, to get me in under her name.

Otherwise requiring a mention was the lovely helpful man who looked as though he might do maintenance.

The pool was warm and lovely. The jacuzzi great until it stopped working and, while I know it needs 'rest' times, it still had not come back on over 30 minutes later when we left. The changing rooms are awful. Most lockers are locked because they don't work. The shower lasts 15 seconds then goes cold and off ( I counted!) and the shower head is pointed, and fixed, so far down that you can't get your head under it because of the massive tap. The drizzle from it is insignificant.

We went down to breakfast the next day and gave up, going without it. All we could smell was kippers, the vegetarian option of hash browns and beans etc was predictable, the bread was processed sliced and the coffee filtered. We phoned back to our parents, where we had been able to leave our son and cat, to ask if we could go back there for breakfast instead, packed our bags and left.

This was supposed to be a treat. With an adult disabled son who needs our care, we can afford neither the time, or financially, to get away for a night often. After a year of major surgery and illness, and no holiday for anyone, we had hoped for a relaxing and pleasant night in a place we had loved at least. We were disappointed. With a bill of over £186 for B&B and dinner as described above it verges on criminal. The Coast and Country advertising of this hotel is very selective.

However, what is worse and leaves the real sting, is a beautiful place that was loved - a dignified old lady of a hotel - that has been woefully neglected and allowed to sink into disrepair and resigned to living out her later years unloved and uncared for. We really wish we had not seen this and kept our memories instead. As far as the whole visit was concerned - never again.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
3 Thank LianeCollins
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, we do read and reply to all of our reviews. I would like to point out that this letter is also being dealt with by our company’s Customer Care department so I do not wish to go too in depth.
The price paid was for the night of Valentines Day which for most hotels is a busy day and night hence why prices tend to rise as is the case in most businesses.
I have passed your comments regarding the food and service on to the people involved and they have taken aboard your comments.
Unfortunately the Wifi is still waiting to be fixed, we have been chasing the supplier for a long time now but they have still not managed to come and fix our service, We shall keep chasing them though as it is not acceptable.
The only reason a locker would be locked in the changing facilities is down to someone’s belongings being inside.
Thank you for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Langley Castle Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,457 reviews
Battlesteads Hotel
BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!