“unfair reviewd”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After seeing reviews on this I was expecting the worst with our upcoming 5 day coach holiday stay. Yes there was a skip - from nearby building work. Yes it is a long walk from some rooms to the dining room, the garden bushes a bit overgrown BUT ..,, the room was clean if a little tired, the food edible and varied, the staff helpful and friendly and they have a wonderful large garden with excellent views.of its stunning location. Come on, its a three star hotel not a five star, and the prices are good for what you receive. Given a bit more time and effort this could be a a 3 star +. I would go again anyway - its the way you prioritise what's acceotable .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NightOwl_8
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would come back.
The skip that you could be mentioning is a community bottle bank, which is never overflowing as a previous review stated. Any skips from the building work next door would never been on our premises. Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

A bit mixed but OK overall. The reception was a bit off-hand, but improved in the morning. We were expected to find our own room (not easy) and manage our luggage and dogs on our own. A waiter came to our aid and helped. Restaurant staff were helpful and the food was good. Our room was a bit small, but nothing was wrong with it and it was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Janet E
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am sorry that you were not offered assistance with your luggage. This is a service that we aim to provide all guests at the George. Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel with my parents and aunt and uncle - we booked 3 rooms.. I had booked this hotel as three of us were walking Hadrians Wall path and it seemed an ideal stop for the 2nd night. From the outside as you walk across the bridge, the hotel looks charming. However that's not how I would describe the rooms we were allocated which were worn and in poor repair. The bed in one of the rooms had a large rip down the middle and the sink in one of the bathrooms was cracked and badly in need of replacing. The pool area was in dire need of updating and the jacuzzi cold. We found the menu expensive and quite limited - there is no bar meals after 5pm.. My mother was unable to eat anything from the menu and we asked the waiter if an omelette could be made. The waiter returned to say the chef had refused this request. I'm not the best cook in the world but didn't think it would take much to whip up a few eggs! By the time my aunt had discovered the hair in her meal which the waiter assured us did not belong to him, we had realised this hotel was not to the standard we had expected. I could not recommend this hotel and we certainly will not be going back.

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank kim h

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am sorry that your stay was not up to yours or your familys expectations. As a manager I am dissapointed that none of this was brought to my attention at the time. However I was acually working that evening assisting the Head Chef and I do remember your table. I am sorry that from the two menu's that there was nothing that your mother could eat, I do struggle to believe that she was turned down an ommelette as this is not a hard task for even the lowest trained chef. Myself or the Head Chef have no recollection of this. This is also the first I have heard of the hair aswell so I shall investigate your complaints and action some improvements. We use Trip Advisor as a tool on bettering ourself so we do read and respond to every review. Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a really good weekend at the George staff very friendly and polite the rooms were clean but as I read somewhere a little tired but clean bedding and towels the only complaint we had was that they stopped bar meals at 5pm so had to go find somewhere else to eat as the dining room didn't open till much later but would certainly go back

2  Thank 83traveller4

Thank you for your review, We are glad that you enjoyed your weekend at The George Hotel. The Lite Bites menu does indeed stop at 5 pm and then the TDH menu and the Ala Carte menu start again at 6.30 pm. Sorry that these timings were not suitable and that you had to go elsewhere. Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed at the George for two nights recently, our group had three double rooms and two singles. Yes, the place needs renovating but the facilities were fine. Our room was clean as was the bedding. The water was hot all the time, toiletries provided, also a trouser press, an iron and ironing board, and a hair dryer. Ok, not all the rooms had all the facilities but nobody suffered because of it.
There was a good choice of food at breakfast, and it was served by very friendly, helpful staff. Perhaps the evening meal could have been a bit more imaginative, but there was the opportunity to upgrade to a la carte if one wished. I personally was very happy with my food.
The situation of the hotel was perfect for our needs, such a lovely area and a pretty outlook. The place is quite quirky which I liked, different to the major chains of hotels where all the rooms are identical and sometimes clinical. The dining room overlooked the picturesque gardens , the river beyond, and a beautiful arched stone bridge.
All in all, a lovely weekend break.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the river.
2  Thank AckoandJacko

Thank you for your honest and positive review, I shall pass your comments on to the team and we hope to see you again in the future. Once again thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed here whilst walking hadrians wall hotel is on the path scenic location large room bathroom could suit an upgrade but all facilities are there including seperate bath and shower. Bar staff very nice kept waiting for breakfast friend spoke to friendly staff problem sorted. Did not use any of the other facilities but did the 15 minute walk to the local.

2  Thank Alan S

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I shall pass on your comments to the team. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Can only reflect the review by Roger L.
Since Swallow sold out this hotel has fallen into disrepair. The pool area is a health hazard and was amazed to read that there are so called Waterbabies sessions! Oops.

Room Tip: Stayed here for one night, was on reflection disappointed that this icon as it was when owned by Swa...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Russell B

Russell thank you for leaving your review, unfortunately I do not agree with your comments. The George has undergone costly and effective improvements since taking the hotel over. I started working at the George hotel shortly after it was taken over by Coast and Country Hotels and I can personally state that the improvement are much better that the delapidated state that we received it in. In regards to your comments about the pool being a health hazard, we undergo regurlar inspections for the pool and jacuzzi water to check the correct dosage levels and water ph are being abided by. We also undergo internal audits and risk assesments regurlarly throughout the year to identify hazards and ensure we comply with any health and safety laws and procedures. We do indeed have Waterbabies sessions at the George and as you can imagine they carry out their own checks as well. Health and safety is an utmost importance to hotel managers. Once again thank you for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
Matfen Hall
#1 of 1 in Matfen
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
Battlesteads Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!