“Very good hotel and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
“Very good hotel and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed there with coach party. Everything very good. Hotel layout a bit of a maze. Sometimes could of done with some breadcrumbs to drop to find way around. Not a typical shearings hotel. Swimming pool very good. Excellent stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your review, we are glad that you enjoyed your trip to the George with us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Middlesbrough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked a late deal for one night bed and breakfast.
Lovely reception lady and we were allocated the Hadrian Suite which must be the cleanest most recently decorated and immaculate room in which I have ever stayed.
We decided to eat before 5 as the bar meals terminate at that time.
The Barman was exceedingly obliging, asking us if we wanted to eat on the lawn and moving a table and chairs so that we could eat in the shade. Very impressed.
Lovely breakfast next morning brought straight from the kitchen. None of that stewed rubbish.
Beautiful view across the lawn to the River Tyne.
Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The Hadrian Suite.
1 Thank BryanMiddlesbrough
Thank you so much for your amazing review, we are glad that you enjoyed the Hadrian Suite. That and 317 are my favourite rooms in the hotel. Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.
Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel on a half board basis 4 nights, 28/7/14-1/8/14. It was room 312, a standard plus room, the bedroom was ok but tired, but the bathroom was very small and the shower was fixed too low if you are taller than 5ft 7 (which we both are, and had to duck under it). The hotel was in a quiet location backing on to the river and very convenient for walking and visits to Hadrians wall. Staff were generally friendly and efficient as usual- although I was alsked if I wanted my heavy case taken to my room, I accepted this kind offer but after a couple of hours it had still not arrived and I wanted a shower! We collected it ourselves in the end. We were lucky to have very warm weather during our stay but were told that the hotel had no portable fans available for residents- amazing! There was no aircon or any ceiling fans anywhere in the hotel that we could see. Our mail gripe was quality of evening meals- very poor and generally small portions. Having just come from 3 days at the St George at Harriogate the meals are obviously standardised across the coast and country hotels. We are long term Coast and Country customers and have enjoyed many stays in the past at other hotels- but not any longer! The cost savings and penny pinching has now gone too far and we have decided this will be our last coast and country experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Sorry that your luggage was not taken to your room in appropriate time, and that you had to carry it yourself. I have had a look at the shower and being 5 ft 7 it was perfect for me but there is also a catch on the side to raise the shower up the shower rail. We are glad that you got to enjoy the sun during your stay, we do have fans at the hotel but these are limited and I imagine that they were all requested prior to your asking.
Your comments regarding the penny pinching is a first, We have not reduced our portion sizes at the George. Once again thank you for your review.

Travellers are raving about these Chollerford hotels

Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed for one night in late July. Beautiful location on the bank of the North Tyne and about quarter mile from Chester's Fort on Hadrian's Wall. Our spacious and comfortable room had a great view of the river and hotel gardens. Food was good and a fair selection, both at dinner and breakfast. One small detractor - cocktails were advertised in the room information but on enquiry at the Cocktail Bar we were informed that none were available due to poor demand. This information needs to be changed! Wifi required joining Cloud. Staff were friendly and helpful throughout. Our stay also included free access to the Gym and Pool - a worthwhile bonus. Overall we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the George and we hope to see you again in the future. I have passed your comments regarding the cocktails on to the Bar Manager and this will be looked into as personally I feel with some of the weather we have been having I could not imagine anything more perfect than sitting by that river with a nice Mojito! Once again. Thank you.
Liversedge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights. The location is great, the gardens go down to the river and sitting in the sun and having a drink until late was so relaxing and enjoyable. The food was good and really pleasant and helpful staff. The room was excellent and the bathroom had obviously recently been refurbished.

Room Tip: Twin rooms are larger.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review, I shall ensure that your comments are passed on to the team. Once again thank you.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed here for one night while on business nearby. The location is beautiful and I enjoyed sitting in the garden in the sun having a drink and looking forward to dinner. I am sorry to say that it was a disappointment. The fish cakes were obviously frozen and less than mediocre. They were served with greasy potatoes, the cheapest vinegary coleslaw and onions that were like the ones that you get from a burger van. It was such a shame because I think it lets the place down. The hotel itself is ok but there was a lingering smell of chip grease which I suspect is because of the ventilators from the kitchens and the open windows. I booked a wake up call at 7 am because I had an important meeting - fortunately I woke up on my own accord because the call never came. The bathroom is very nice but the shower curtain is too short and therefore it was impossible to shower without soaking the floor. The remote control to the TV did not work. These things are minor and easy to sort out. I am less forgiving of the fact that I was sent someone else's bill by email (the receptionist who checked me out could not print a receipt for me) - I just hope my bill was not sent to someone else because I regard that as a breach of confidentiality. I hope the hotel is improved as it is very pleasantly decorated and the staff were friendly and it could be so much better without too much effort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Simon T
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am sorry that the standards of food was not up to your expectations. I have passed on your comments to the Head Chef who shall take these on board. We regret that your wake up call was not completed and I shall look into the system and check that it is still working correctly.
In regards to your bill, we apologise that youy were sent the wrong bill, however I do ensure you that we do take confidentialty very seriously and no points were breached. Once again thank you for your review.
Stourton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked The George on line, not directly with the hotel.
Two considerations were major in our minds when booking, the first one being the hotel’s location as we wished to explore Hadrian’s Wall country, the second one being was it a pet friendly hotel.
The hotel’s website met both requirements, as we were travelling with a mature Guide Dog for the Blind puppy.
We were allocated a room that was quite frankly awful, it was small, very noisy and dirty.
We could clearly hear the person in the room above using the bathroom, especially when urinating.
The bathroom toilet bowl was filthy, the flush handle was missing the outer cowling and it was hanging loose, there was a distinct smell of urine in the bathroom.
The bath panel had much accumulated dirt on it and no attempt had been made to clean it.
We immediately brought this to the attention of the receptionist who at first seemed sympathetic; she even offered to clean the toilet for us.
We requested another room, at this point she changed her attitude, and she said we had been allocated that room because we had notified them that we would be arriving with a Guide Dog puppy.
This was not the case; we did not notify the hotel about the puppy, there was no need as the hotel’s website advertises it being pet friendly.
We asked to see the hotel manager, we advised him of the room condition and he checked the room, he agreed with our observations and adjusted our bill accordingly.
We considered we were discriminated against because we were travelling with a Guide Dog puppy and we cancelled our last night’s stay with the hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel has upgraded rooms, ask to see a room before you agree to sleep in it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fotofunguy
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. It was I that spoke to you back at the start of June at the end of your stay. I would like to start by saying that at no point during your stay were you discriminated against for having a training guide dog with you. The room that you were allocated was not actually one of the rooms that we would not normally use for pets. The hotel was full when you brought your comments to us so this was the reason that we could not move you rooms, as I fully explained to yourselves at the time. I did check the room with you and there were no issues with the bedroom, in the bathroom I did explain that the marks on the toilet were actually from the cleaning products that the housekeeping team use. There were some marks on the bath panel which I do apologise for. You stated that you never notified the hotel that you were bringing a guide dog, but you did actually put it on your booking comments so we were indeed aware. However I would recommend that in the future that you do inform hotels just so that they are aware and they can arrange for cleaning the room after your stay, like we had too which resulted in the room being out of order for 24 hours.
Once again thank you for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Langley Castle Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,456 reviews
Battlesteads Hotel
BEST WESTERN Derwent Manor
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!