“rank”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chollerford
newcastle upon tyne
“rank”
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Stayed here at the weekend with my immediate and extended family. If I had to sum this hotel up in one word, that word would be rank! The bathrooms in all the rooms we occupied needed a clean and in my room and another the toilet handles were hanging off. I also found hair in the corner of the bathroom floor, on arrival. The corridors need a repaint, as do the bar and restaurant areas. Had to wait 45 mins for my cooked breakfast in the morning and although there was a continental buffet, the selection was poor. Both evening meals were awful and the menu was very standard. The staff were polite, especially the receptionists and some of the waiting staff were faultless. I didn't feel some of the hotel staff (and a number of its guests) welcomed children. In a nutshell this hotel needs a massive overhaul. I would NEVER stay here again!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mull82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
england
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Just come back from a 3day break at the george.After all the reviews was a bit wary.
Should not have been a great Hotel- good food- staff great and the room we got 301 was excellent.Will certainly go back

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2009

The location is absolutely beautiful and ideal for walking the Wall! We stayed in room 315 and the noise from the corridor was dreadful, I sympathise with the guests who were booked into 314.
Room was very dusty and the whole hotel looked as if it could benefit from a visit from Aggie or the Hotel Inspector.
Shame because it was once a lovely building and is ideally situated.
I would recommend to people who wanted to walk the wall but not for a romantic interlude ..

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank frequentflyersuffolk

Travellers are raving about these Chollerford hotels

north
Reviewed 19 August 2009

What a shambles, I booked a room for me and my daughter via the website. I rang the hotel prior to our stay to enquire about the view from the room and the vegetarian selection on the menu. I was told the room had a view over the river and the menu was extensive...... ok, so an omlette for dinner and a view over A68 wasn't quite what we had expected. Thanks for that.
I approached the temporary manager who told us he would change our rooms, I had to go and find him the next day at 11am, he hadnt attempted to locate us by this time. The dinner menu had one vege selection on so the same temp manager offered me another 2 dishes which was fair enough, however when coming to order my meal in the restaurant, the waiter went back and forth to the kitchen where the head chef had told him nothing had been pre-arranged so he couldnt do it. After a completley uncomfortable awquard wait and after drawing attention to ourselves, we got our omlette. So next morning, I wasn't too excited about the vege option for breakfast, but I thought scrambled eggs on toast would be the most basic of options and they couldnt get it wrong!!! WRONG!! The egg mixture came in a bx, it was white and sloppy. Why I asked...Health and saftey...??? So, you can whisk egges for an omlette at 8pm but not whisk eggs for scrambled eggs at 8am...it was't good. I spoke to the temp again, whotold me I was rude, I wasnt infact rude but assertive and I rang head office and he didnt like me going over his head. The whole experience was stressful upsetting and awquard. The positive side of my stay was that the 2 yorkshire lads, the actual hotel manager and the bar manager were friendly positive and approachable thanks!! All in all I wouldnt touch this hotel again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank millieupnorth
Newcastle
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We stayed for a one night break away from the kids having passed the hotel many times. Yes it's old, and as with many country hotels there is an element of faded grandeur. The staff were great, the bed was one of the most comfortable we have had in a hotel, and dinner, in spite of the menu being shorter than hoped, was excellent.

Our biggest gripe has to be some of the other, and it has to be said, older guests. Sometimes we expected "Victor Meldrew" to burst onto the "set", but there was alot of complaining for the sake of complaining.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Bolton
Reviewed 19 July 2009

What a pleasant stay. I really get annoyed when guests nit pick and criticise . The staff are very helpful and friendly. How many of those visitors who offered adverse opinions are simply looking for faults that are not there. (courtesty is a two way thing) The rooms are fine the food is fine the location is tranquill. No complaints . We all enjoyed our stay in a value for money hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Southern England
Reviewed 15 July 2009

This hotel looks quite nice from the outside but once you get inside you can see its very tired and worn out - it appears to be owned by Schearings Coach Holidays (thats what the receipt says at the end of your stay) so overwhelmingly evryone staying there is either on a coach package or some other form of touring package and a pensioner!. The dinner was poor and expensive (6 pounds 50 supplement for a steak that was beaten to death and cooked to charcoal - it was incredibly poor) - we were also at dinner seated next to a damp wall (paper peeling, plaster crumbling etc) it was so obviously a bad position that we laughed as did the people next to us. That night we didnt sleep as the staff held a bbq oustide for the staff - this admittedly only went on till midnight but it simply seemed to ignore the fact that this was a hotel and people may be trying to sleep - even worse the waiters at breakfast told us that they had a bbq and that they were noisy - quite an odd admission. In summary - room was okay ish, food was appallingly bad, location is great and that was all that mattered as we were walking Hadrians Wall that passed through Chollerford - apart form that we wouldnt recommend it or stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1QualityTraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chollerford
Best Western Beaumont Hotel
#1 of 1 in Matfen
Battlesteads Hotel
Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
The Black Bull Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!