All reviews half board north tyne country hotels river view hadrian's wall coach trip some tlc restaurant staff weekend break bar prices lovely setting steam room superior room plenty of hot water kippers leisure club full english
Reviewed 31 August 2018

We stayed here 12 months ago and although it is not the best Coast and Country hotel we thought we would give it another go and stayed for the bank holiday weekend.

On arrival we were told that we had been upgraded to the biggest room in the hotel (303) free of charge. We were delighted at this, at first. The room had obviously been recently decorated but we were a little disappointed as this was a twin room and we had originally booked a double. These twin beds were not comfortable at all and I woke with a bad back after the second night. Although the room was large it proved a hindrance as it was very cold. My husband went and asked for a heater and one was brought up, however it might as well have been a candle for the good it did. There is a towel radiator in the bathroom but again this did nothing to warm the room.

The bar area is small and we knew about the bar staff doing other jobs so just ensured that we bought our drinks in advance when he was there. The tables and chairs needed cleaning, not just clearing and the place could benefit with a deep clean to remove webs and spiders and vacuum up to the walls. I think the drinks and food are overpriced but I'm not sure footfall is high enough in this remote area so the prices were not unexpected.

We had no complaints about the food or the restaurant service, we asked for 2 half pints of Tetleys with our meal on one night and received pints but that was no big deal, we just drank them.

We came to check out and were told we owed £65. I told the receptionist we owed nothing and were not paying anything. I advised him we were upgraded on arrival by the receptionist at no extra charge and on the bill it did not explain what the £65 charge was for. He asked who had checked us in and I advised the girl with the funny coloured hair and he said he would have to talk to the manager when they came in. I showed him my booking confirmation which was an advanced purchase in full and he said he did not understand it himself and would try and do some sort of refund, it all seemed quite irregular.

I have emailed the hotel to complain and ask for an investigation but am still waiting for acknowledgement or a response. I note on previous reviews on here emails to the hotel go missing and complaints don't get actioned. My husband suggested to me that due to the clientele that frequent this hotel who are usually elderly, this could be some sort of a con, you get upgraded for free and then charged on check out, meaning more vulnerable guests may then feel obliged to pay. I advised my husband not to be so ridiculous as if this was a con they would surely have used the money to upgrade the 1950's downstairs toilets and changed the ghastly carpets! We can't confirm the reason for the over charge due to the lack of response but it left a nasty taste and for that reason we will not return here.

Room tip: Refuse an upgrade if you are sensitive to cold
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank JKN101
Reviewed 31 August 2018

We recently visited this hotel on a Shearing's coach holiday. This was our second visit though previously we did a self-drive. Memories of such beautiful views revisited and this time , we were lucky enough to get a room with a river view. Upgraded to standard plus which was well worth the extra. The room was nicely decorated, clean and comfortable. Food was all hot and nicely presented. All staff except one were very pleasant. The member from the leisure centre puts on some quizzes etc and is really lovely and hardworking .

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GeorgeChollerford, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2018

Hi experience2

Many thanks for your lovely review.
Julie is a very hard-working staff member and with her amazing quizzes she raised a lot of money to Alzheimer Society this year.
She will be delighted to now that people appreciate her effort and enjoy her quizzes.
I will pass on your kind words to the chef as well.

Many thanks and best wishes for the future

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Stayed here for one night when walking Hadrian's Wall. The hotel was OK, rooms were clean and there was a spa and lovely views of the river. However, it was a bit overpriced for what was offered and breakfast wasn't included. We had dinner there (didn't seem to be many other options) and the food was dreadful, especially the "bangers and mash". Never realised sausages could be so burned and tasteless. As a result we decided not to have breakfast there the next morning.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hi anneR3203FT

Thank you for taking the time and post your review.
I am sorry if you had such a bad experience with sausage and mash, I hop that you mentioned this to the staff and they given you something more tasteful.
I will speak to the chef what could have happened and I do apologise if that spoilt your stay.

All the best

Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

Worst hotel I have stayed in what hotel still requires a key not a swipe card to open the door? Please do not be fooled by the photographs which definitely make the place look a pleasant and vibrant hotel it really couldn’t be more opposite! Upon arrival the receptionist was very miserable and unwelcoming, carpets severely worn down and shabby worn old fashioned decor throughout the hotel in real need of updating. The bedrooms themselves had been updated and bathroom and room was modern but basic floorboards extremely creaky. Went to the bar for food one member of staff again not very friendly flies around the bar, tables uncleaned and very dull atmosphere decor again needs Dior refurbishment-wallpaper literally peeling off the walls. Food arrived £12.95 for a burger and chips very very average a McDonald’s burger would have looked better on the plate. Sorry but certainly wouldn’t recommend for the amount we paid-£130 for one night such a rip off and disappointment after seeing such pleasant photos online. Would only have paid realistic price of £60-70.

1  Thank 289nicolah

Hi Nicola H

The worst hotel due the key open the door? I am not too sure what kind of hotels you stayed previously but I can tell you that the ones I have stayed few in the area all have the keys to operate the doors. :)
The hotel went under refurbishment 9 years ago and yes you are absolutely right it needs another one, but during the peak season it is not something we are going to do, going ahead next year but I will certainly mention this and also to change the keys into a super key card.
I strongly disagree that a McDonalds burger would have looked better but if would have, I do apologise.

Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed one night whilst walking the wall
The room and bathroom were recently refurbished and quite pleasant.
Considerably more more expensive than anywhere else I booked along the route, £30 more than the angel Corbridge the night before and that included breakfast!
Overall overpriced