“Good trip but not so Grand!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 September 2011

My husband and & I stayed at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in September 2011. We booked this trip based on the resort being rated #1 in Montego Bay and the great reviews.

Our room was on the 4th floor and was the last oceanview room before the Ocean Front rooms begin. What a beautiful room, large & spacious, beautifully decorated and a fantastic view of the ocean, pools and grounds.

Majority of the staff I would stay are Grand. A special thanks to:

Star Friends - Sassy, Samantha, Mr. Kool, Frosted Flakes and TO are excellent at their jobs and socializing with the guest. (These guys deserve a tip just as you would tip the waitstaff and bartenders)
Ardley Morrison is a special young man in the Lobby Bar. We enjoyed sitting at the Lobby Bar during the evening sipping a cocktail and listening to him play his guitar and sing.
A special thank you to Denzel, a la cart dinner Captain. He was great! Our dining experience would have not been the same without Denzel. He selected great inclusive wines for us to enjoy and we were surprised our good the wines were. Also made excellent dinner suggestions.
Another special thank you to Damian, he was a chef in the Japanese restaurant. What a great entertaining chef. We had dinner twice at the Japanese restaurant and the 2nd night we made a request through Denzel for Damian to be our chef again. Again, great job! You can see Damian at the lunch BBQ's and at the buffet lunches and dinners.

Another special lady is Angela, we meet in the ladies room one evening. She takes care of the lobby and pool restrooms. What a treat to meet her and she always had a very warm smile and I enjoyed talking to her daily.

Housekeeping: Very Grand! Our housekeepers were Fantastic every morning and night! Could not ask for anything more.

Spa: I had a classic manicure and a french pedicure and the service was very good. I am still enjoying my pedicure.

Now for the not so Grand:

The pool bar hours are 9:00am to 6:00pm. We thought the pool closing time was to early. At 5:30 - 5:45 the bartenders start packing up the bar and at 6:00pm the bar closes.

A la cart restaurants: There are 4 (Surf & Turf, Japanese, Italian, & Gourment). During our 9 day / 8 night stay on 3 nights none of the a la cart restaurants were open. Your only dining options were the Grand buffet and choosing an a la cart at the Iberostar Suites or Iberostar Beach. We did choose the Suites for dinner and choose the Mediterrean and Mexican. After eating at the Grand a la cart restaurants, the Suites was a major let down. The food quality is not as good and your appentizer and dessert is buffet style. We paid a premium price for the Grand and should be able to enjoy good a la cart food at the Grand and not be subject to making a chocie to eat at the Suites or the Grand buffet.

Grounds (pool area / beach): We noticed several days that glasses would be left out at the pool over night and not get picked up by the staff until mid to late morning. There is another area in the main pool that is enclosed with a 4 sided wall and inside is a palm tree. I noticed daily glasses would sit there and no staff members would pick up the glasses and the glasses would sit there for a day or 2. Also, this same area had tons of weeds growing. We also noticed trash items/debris on the beach and around the pool that was never picked up.

Management: Management appeared to us that they did not want to associate with the guest. We encounted management during our stay and they never approached us to inquire about our visit. We noticed what appeared to be tension between the staff and management. We especially noticed the tension on our last night which was "survey" night. Also, we were told that the only inside smoking area is the Cigar Bar. We saw 2 members of the management team smoking in the billard/computer room.

Final thoughts: We used Reggae tours for airport transportation and a tour to YS Falls & Pelican Bar. There was a little confusion with our pick up at the airport but everything worked out. Our tour to YS Falls & Pelcian Bar was great and Nicholas was a great driver and tour guide. The owner, Greg Connell, picked us up for our return trip to the airport. I would not hesitate to use Reggea again.

Final thought: We will most likely to return to Jamaica and but I don't know if we will return to Iberostar due our not so Grand experience.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms have a great view of the ocean, pools and ground
7  Thank PebblesCharlie
Write a ReviewReviews (6,723)

Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed at the Grand Rose Hall from 8/25 through 9/1/11. I have nothing negative to say about the place. We had no problems getting poolside chairs as it was a low occupancy period. The swim up bar was excellent. No complaints there. The star friends (shout out to T.O., Frosted Flakes and the girls) kept us busy or at least they tried. Many times we would say we are doing 12 ounce curls in the pool and that was ok with them. The neat part was that they knew our names by the end of the first day.

The inside bar was great too. Morris Day kept the drinks flowing. The nightly entertainment was typical but fun.

I have a special shout out to Chef Danielle and Chef Juavier. The paella demonstration on the beach was great along with the Jamaican Jerk night at the buffet. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate for the beach party.

Overall a very good trip and Big Jim will be back!

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank Jez1234
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I want to win the lottery and move to a room in The Grand Rose Hall Resort! Each and every butler we had were very professional and totally awsome,from Rushane,Darwin,and Randy.I luv them all!! Also the Chefs:Natalie,Jason,Christopher, were so talented!They created food masterpieces.The wait staff:Simone,Fitzroy anad so many others I cant remember the names,were stellar as well! The entertainment staff:Sassy,T.O.,Frosty Flakes and others,wonderfull.I truely felt like they were all a part of my family when I left there.I will definately stay nowhere in Jamaica but with my new Grand Rose Hall friends! This was my 1st time in Jamaica and any other place there couldnt possibly measure up to you all!! Thanks a million times!!

Room Tip: Stay on the adult side!! Nothing against kids but I prefer adult company. Get a room with an ocean v...
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I'd wanted to go to Jamaica for few years....this was worth the waiting. People are very nice, funny and friendly. Every night there is a different show and the staff is very entertaining. Once a week, there is a Beach Party at night...so cool. Kind of a full moon party, but for everyone, including families. Cocktails are good too (best drink...see Ricardo at the Lobby and ask for a "Temptation"). The food is very good, but the buffet is not very diversified. It's always the same thing, but .....oh well, it's good stuff. The three restaurants à la carte are good. You can rent snorkling equipment and catamaran every day. Really...Nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: We paid for a standard room, but asked for an oceanview once we got there....we got it. But the hote...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank KarineetJulien
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Iberostar Grand. We were part of a large wedding party, most of whom were staying at the Iberostar Suites next door. This gave us an excellent opportunity to compare the two hotels and we definitely feel that the grand is worth the extra money. Just the fact that there were no children running around was fantastic; the food quality, top shelf drink options, butler service and little additional amenities made it well worth the price. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, the pools were beautiful and well maintained, and the beach was gorgeous. What more could you want!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sciencegrl08
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Where to begin? I have never traveled to Jamaica before and if Iberostar Grand is an indication of how everything is, then I will definitely be going back. I will give a review from beginning to end. At first, I was a little underwhelmed by the JTL Bus that would be taking me and my girlfriend to our resort, as it was a rickety, old looking bus. I saw so many newer and more modern looking buses, but unfortunately I got a rickety old one. The bus driver gave us all some info about the island and it was pretty funny. From the lingo, to his jerk mongoose story, the bus ride went by pretty fast. Then we were dropped off at the front of the Iberostar Grand and boy was this the start of a great vacation.
We were greeted with a hot hand towel as well as a Mimosa. We were checked in immediately, given our all inclusive wrist bands, and were set to go to our 1st floor room. I had asked the front desk clerk, Barrington, if we could get a room on the higher floors and within a few minutes, he was able to get us a room on the top, 5th floor. Then Kevenye took our bags and brought us to our room. Within a few minutes, our butler, can't remember his name, started with a D, came by and informed us about how things would be. Unfortunately, after his quick exit, we did not encounter our butlers again and that is probably why I do not remember his name. We did not have much use for the butlers, but I guess it would have been nice if they had at least checked in with us again to make sure everything was ok. Our room had a great view, overlooking the pools and giving us a great spot to view the sunrise/sunset. Our balcony was pretty cool and all I have to add is wheeeeee on the hammock chair.
First night, ate at the Cornwall buffet for dinner. Food was ok, not spectacular, but many choices and better than your average buffet. It was a much better selection for the breakfast buffet. The room was a good temperature and the bathroom was big enough to live in. I exaggerate, but with his and her sinks, a room each for the shower and the toilet, plus floor length mirrors on the doors, and a big bath tub in the center. They provide you a safe for you to store your valuables, but the placement of this was a little baffling. It is in the closet right next to the door. Since there is another door that you can close after the bathroom, you really would not know if someone could open the front door and open the safe, therefore we did not use this.
Next few days were amazing! Going to the pools each day, was probably the biggest highlight. Whether you get a drink at Lucea pool or play some basketball in the other pool, it was just relaxing in the water, with or without a floatie. Plus seeing the Magic Carpet was pretty hilarious in the pool, as sober, drunk, semi-drunk people try to run across the carpet in the pool. The beach was amazing too. Man-made, but blue skies, blue waters, you can't ask for much more.
Another good memory is of some of the Star Friends. There are many, a lot I did not meet. 2 were very friendly and funny, Samantha and Mr. Kool. We talked to them the most and they also got many people involved in games, such as boccie ball or ring toss.
We stunk at most of the games until we finally won tshirts playing bingo. Go figure. Some of the other nice Star Friends were Sassafrass, Frosted Flakes, and Modo Modo. We also met Megatron at the Suites and he seemed wired and full of energy.
We had to make reservations to the restaurants for dinner and the concierge was very helpful in doing so and making changes. We ate Surf N Turf, which got my girlfriend a little sick, then Japanese, which got me a little sick, and Aunt Ruby's steakhouse. Darwin was out chef at the Japanese and he was very entertaining, but maybe if he focused more on the food than his theatrics, then maybe I wouldn't have gotten sick. The portions weren't that big and the food was okay, but we did not come to Jamaica for 5star meals.
They also have nightly shows, at 10pm, for an hour. We went to one and saw some creative dancing. We originally thought the Star Friends would be in the show, but it is actually professional dancers.
We mostly enjoyed the pools, like I mentioned before, but overall, other than getting sick one night each, we both really enjoyed our stays and would come back again. The staff is very friendly and we did not have any issues.
Hope this review helps. If you are on the fence about coming to the Iberostar Grand, I would definitely say you should go!, Yeah Mon!!

5  Thank AngryBirdRed
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This was our second trip in as many years to this resort. We really enjoy staying here. There is a lot to do that is included and may day excursions that can be taken. The food is very good -- not great , but everyone should be able to find something they enjoy. The specialty restaurants are hit-and-miss. Some good, some not-so-good. I think our favorite is the "gourmet" and the steak house.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!