“Worst part about this vacation was...waking up from the dream I lived for the week I was there!!!!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 September 2011

September 6th thru September 13th 2011 was probably the best week of my life. It all started from the beginning as I booked my honeymoon with www.goiberostar.com (Kellie Davis specifically) as it was an easy and pleasant transaction. Not to mention, the deal was good! On to the honeymoon...

From our arrival on day one to our depressing departure day, everything was amazing. Every employee we came in contact with was cheerful,fun, and professional. Attention to the small details really made a difference. Accomodations were clean,luxurious, spacious, and totally beautiful. The food was delicious at the buffets, through room service, and especially at the resort restaurants.Top shelf alcohol served by talented bar tenders also weren't a bad touch either. I cannot imagine how the week could have gotten better. I will be back with my wife (and friends too) in the near future. Thanks to everyone who made this experience perfect!

1 Thank joshuakhill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,000)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Webster City, Iowa, USA
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Fine experience. The outside world was alittle scary but we felt safe inside the walls. Would not be afraid to take the family.

Room Tip: Doubt if there is a "bad" room.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Summary review: This is a four and a half star (just missing five-star) resort that is a wonderful place to take a vacation. It seemed about half the people we met were on their honeymoon and everybody was very friendly. If you want more (including why men need pants), the details are below.

The Iberostar Rose Hall is three resorts in one. The lowest level is the Beach Club, the middle level is the Suites and the top level is the Grand. The higher up resorts can use the lower resorts amenities but not vice versa. We booked our vacation for the Suites, but when we arrived it was apparently overbooked and they upgraded us to the Grand for free. We heard the Grand was anywhere from between only 45% to 75% occupied. It was not very crowded, which my wife and I enjoyed. I believe it also has an age restriction, so there were no families with little kids running around all over the place. It definitely did not have the energy that we felt when we visited the Suites and Beach Club pool areas, but that was just fine for my wife and I, who left our child with grandma for our week in Jamaica.

There also apparently is more tipping (if you so choose) required at the Grand as described below because of the low guest/employee ratio. This was our first time to Jamaica but it became apparently clear this is how the employees make most of their money. While none of the employees ever asked for a tip, they certainly hang around to see if you would give one.

We were greeted while checking in by a man providing us with glasses of champagne (tip). A bellman brought our bags (at least the ones US Air didn’t send to Philadelphia) to the room (tip). A few minutes later the floor butler came to our room to tell us about the room’s features and how to make reservations for the restaurants (tip). He also checked to make sure our wet bar was full (it was empty) and somebody else came by to fill it a couple of hours later (we came back to the room just as he was finishing-tip).

Our trip started out rough when US Air sent my wife’s luggage to Philly and she didn’t have any swimsuits in the bag she had (helpful hint: pack a swimsuit in your carry-on bag so you don’t have this problem). We went to lunch at the beachside buffet. This is the only restaurant at the Grand open for lunch (other than room service). My wife’s bags still weren’t at the hotel after we finished lunch and walked around the hotel so we went to the front desk. The woman helped us call the airport to check on it. Although she wasn’t able to get any information, she was extremely helpful. The bags eventually arrived and were in our room that night after we came back from dinner.

The room was gorgeous, large, had a flat screen TV with a large bathroom, two sinks and a rain shower. There were a few problems that I encountered, however, including a lack of electrical outlets. They were mostly single outlets with a lamp or clock already plugged in. I had to unplug several lamps to plug in electronics I had brought to use and charge. The bathroom did have an open outlet next to each sink.

Another problem I had, although others may like it, was the bed, which was way too soft. I like a hard mattress and I woke up several times during the night because of how soft the bed was. There was a very nice pillow menu, so you could select the type of pillows you wanted.

The hotel had some minor security issues I have found common in my (limited) overseas trips that do not exist in the U.S. The doors to the hotel rooms do not shut automatically. Thus, you need to be sure your door is shut completely when entering and exiting the room. The exit doors to the buildings also opened inward instead of outward, which is not allowed by U.S. building codes. Otherwise, I never felt unsafe on the property grounds and there was in in-room safe for valuables. A couple of times we forgot to shut the safe but nothing ever went missing.

All the employees (and other guests) were incredibly friendly. I noticed many people did not tip at the bar or in the restaurants. While this is an all-inclusive resort, I still tipped as if it were not all-inclusive and they all seemed appreciative of the tips (the only time people were not appreciative of the amount of the tips I left were on the tours we booked, but these people were not associated with the hotel).

There are four specialty restaurants at the hotel, Japanese, surf & turf, gourmet and Italian. Men have to wear pants in these restaurants, so be sure to bring a nice pair of slacks and a collared shirt. This was the only time all week I wore pants. We only ate at the steakhouse, which was okay, and the Japanese, which was fantastic. It isn’t as good a show as you’ll get at Benihana’s (but what is?), but not bad for Jamaican Japanese and the food still tasted great.

The gourmet restaurant menu was too fancy for us and the Italian had dishes on its menu that are not typical of what you’ll find in an American Italian restaurant. Nothing appealed to us on the menu in the Italian restaurant either so we chose not to eat there. You can also make a reservation at the Beach Club and Suites restaurants, although we did not do this.
There is a buffet for breakfast that was very good. If you don’t have a reservation at any of the restaurants, the buffet is also open for dinner. There also is an open air beach side buffet that serves lunch. While the hot and refrigerated items were good, much of the food is on a center buffet counter, where the food looked and tasked like it had been out in the heat too long each time we ate there.

My favorite food all week, however, was at the beach BBQ buffet with freshly cooked jerk meats (chicken/pork/steak). It rotates on the beach in front of each of the three resorts, so if it is not in front of your resort walk the beach and check the other ones. Since the Grand can use the other beach’s amenities, you can eat at the buffet no matter where it is. I am not sure if they have the beach BBQ every day, as we were on a tour for two of the days we were there and one day we tried to find it but couldn’t, although we were told later by an employee that it was at one of the other (Suites or Beach Club) resorts.

Room service was also available although we did not use it. We spoke with others who said the room service food was good. Other guests told us it took 45 minutes to get their food, not realizing this is fairly standard (in not quick) for hotel room service in general.
There were some items that kept me from rating this as a five-star resort. One of them was the workout facility. The gym is connected to the spa and is only open from 7am(ish-hey, it is Jamaica, mon) to 8pm. While I am on vacation, I still like to get up and work out early so the day is free for fun. I spoke with several other people at the workout facility who were also disappointed they could not get in the gym earlier.

The gym was also crowded when it opened each morning and while it is equipped with good equipment (some better than in my gym at home), the facility was not large enough as it can be used by guests of both the Grand and Suites. I had to frequently wait for equipment during my workout. There also is no air conditioning in the gym (or if there was I could not tell), so it does not take much to work up a sweat. The gym also did not have a clock in it, so you were not sure what time it was and how mad your spouse is getting while she is waiting in the room for you so you can go to breakfast. The gym had the following equipment:

2 ellipticals
2 stair climbers
4 treadmills (I broken during entire stay)
2 recumbent bikes (1 broken during entire stay)
1 regular bike
Dumbbells
Squat rack and bar
Bench and bar
Various pulley equipment

During my entire stay some pulley equipment, one treadmill and one recumbent bike was out of order and never fixed. Of course, this happens at my gym at home, but there are many more machines available so it usually does not cause a problem. With limited facilities, people were frequently waiting to use the cardio machines. Overall, I was able to complete about 50-60% of my normal workout with the equipment available, which is not bad for a hotel workout facility. Still, there were limitations.

Another hindrance holding this resort back from a five-star rating is the rooms only have wired internet. I frequently saw people in the lobby with their iPads using the wireless internet provided for free in the lobby only. If you want to use an iPad or other wireless device in your room, you will need to bring a travel router (and unplug the lamp near the wired connection so you can plug in the router as we had to do).

There are lots of activities around the pool and on the beach, although they occur in the morning and late afternoon. Mid-day in the pool/beach area was fairly tranquil and quiet. One other minor complaint I had was the nightly show not starting until 10:00 p.m. My wife and I do not stay up late and we did not see any of the shows because of the starting time.
Overall, however, this is a great resort. Sometimes the staff tried “too hard” to be funny. Our butler, when showing us the room and its amenities when we first checked in, made some pretty bad, tasteless and sexist jokes. Other than that, however, we had a great time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
39 Thank AcapulcoBound
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 September 2011

My husband and & I stayed at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in September 2011. We booked this trip based on the resort being rated #1 in Montego Bay and the great reviews.

Our room was on the 4th floor and was the last oceanview room before the Ocean Front rooms begin. What a beautiful room, large & spacious, beautifully decorated and a fantastic view of the ocean, pools and grounds.

Majority of the staff I would stay are Grand. A special thanks to:

Star Friends - Sassy, Samantha, Mr. Kool, Frosted Flakes and TO are excellent at their jobs and socializing with the guest. (These guys deserve a tip just as you would tip the waitstaff and bartenders)
Ardley Morrison is a special young man in the Lobby Bar. We enjoyed sitting at the Lobby Bar during the evening sipping a cocktail and listening to him play his guitar and sing.
A special thank you to Denzel, a la cart dinner Captain. He was great! Our dining experience would have not been the same without Denzel. He selected great inclusive wines for us to enjoy and we were surprised our good the wines were. Also made excellent dinner suggestions.
Another special thank you to Damian, he was a chef in the Japanese restaurant. What a great entertaining chef. We had dinner twice at the Japanese restaurant and the 2nd night we made a request through Denzel for Damian to be our chef again. Again, great job! You can see Damian at the lunch BBQ's and at the buffet lunches and dinners.

Another special lady is Angela, we meet in the ladies room one evening. She takes care of the lobby and pool restrooms. What a treat to meet her and she always had a very warm smile and I enjoyed talking to her daily.

Housekeeping: Very Grand! Our housekeepers were Fantastic every morning and night! Could not ask for anything more.

Spa: I had a classic manicure and a french pedicure and the service was very good. I am still enjoying my pedicure.

Now for the not so Grand:

The pool bar hours are 9:00am to 6:00pm. We thought the pool closing time was to early. At 5:30 - 5:45 the bartenders start packing up the bar and at 6:00pm the bar closes.

A la cart restaurants: There are 4 (Surf & Turf, Japanese, Italian, & Gourment). During our 9 day / 8 night stay on 3 nights none of the a la cart restaurants were open. Your only dining options were the Grand buffet and choosing an a la cart at the Iberostar Suites or Iberostar Beach. We did choose the Suites for dinner and choose the Mediterrean and Mexican. After eating at the Grand a la cart restaurants, the Suites was a major let down. The food quality is not as good and your appentizer and dessert is buffet style. We paid a premium price for the Grand and should be able to enjoy good a la cart food at the Grand and not be subject to making a chocie to eat at the Suites or the Grand buffet.

Grounds (pool area / beach): We noticed several days that glasses would be left out at the pool over night and not get picked up by the staff until mid to late morning. There is another area in the main pool that is enclosed with a 4 sided wall and inside is a palm tree. I noticed daily glasses would sit there and no staff members would pick up the glasses and the glasses would sit there for a day or 2. Also, this same area had tons of weeds growing. We also noticed trash items/debris on the beach and around the pool that was never picked up.

Management: Management appeared to us that they did not want to associate with the guest. We encounted management during our stay and they never approached us to inquire about our visit. We noticed what appeared to be tension between the staff and management. We especially noticed the tension on our last night which was "survey" night. Also, we were told that the only inside smoking area is the Cigar Bar. We saw 2 members of the management team smoking in the billard/computer room.

Final thoughts: We used Reggae tours for airport transportation and a tour to YS Falls & Pelican Bar. There was a little confusion with our pick up at the airport but everything worked out. Our tour to YS Falls & Pelcian Bar was great and Nicholas was a great driver and tour guide. The owner, Greg Connell, picked us up for our return trip to the airport. I would not hesitate to use Reggea again.

Final thought: We will most likely to return to Jamaica and but I don't know if we will return to Iberostar due our not so Grand experience.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms have a great view of the ocean, pools and ground
6 Thank PebblesCharlie
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed at the Grand Rose Hall from 8/25 through 9/1/11. I have nothing negative to say about the place. We had no problems getting poolside chairs as it was a low occupancy period. The swim up bar was excellent. No complaints there. The star friends (shout out to T.O., Frosted Flakes and the girls) kept us busy or at least they tried. Many times we would say we are doing 12 ounce curls in the pool and that was ok with them. The neat part was that they knew our names by the end of the first day.

The inside bar was great too. Morris Day kept the drinks flowing. The nightly entertainment was typical but fun.

I have a special shout out to Chef Danielle and Chef Juavier. The paella demonstration on the beach was great along with the Jamaican Jerk night at the buffet. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate for the beach party.

Overall a very good trip and Big Jim will be back!

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank Jez1234
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I want to win the lottery and move to a room in The Grand Rose Hall Resort! Each and every butler we had were very professional and totally awsome,from Rushane,Darwin,and Randy.I luv them all!! Also the Chefs:Natalie,Jason,Christopher, were so talented!They created food masterpieces.The wait staff:Simone,Fitzroy anad so many others I cant remember the names,were stellar as well! The entertainment staff:Sassy,T.O.,Frosty Flakes and others,wonderfull.I truely felt like they were all a part of my family when I left there.I will definately stay nowhere in Jamaica but with my new Grand Rose Hall friends! This was my 1st time in Jamaica and any other place there couldnt possibly measure up to you all!! Thanks a million times!!

Room Tip: Stay on the adult side!! Nothing against kids but I prefer adult company. Get a room with an ocean v...
Québec
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I'd wanted to go to Jamaica for few years....this was worth the waiting. People are very nice, funny and friendly. Every night there is a different show and the staff is very entertaining. Once a week, there is a Beach Party at night...so cool. Kind of a full moon party, but for everyone, including families. Cocktails are good too (best drink...see Ricardo at the Lobby and ask for a "Temptation"). The food is very good, but the buffet is not very diversified. It's always the same thing, but .....oh well, it's good stuff. The three restaurants à la carte are good. You can rent snorkling equipment and catamaran every day. Really...Nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: We paid for a standard room, but asked for an oceanview once we got there....we got it. But the hote...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#5 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!