“Vacation Trifecta: Service, Surf & Sand!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Warning: I try to keep my reviews brief, but after each visit to IBG Rose Hall, there's always so much to share! Read on...

My mom & I spent 3/10-13 at IBG Rose Hall, our third visit in a calendar year. Again, we had a wonderful time!

Once again, I booked our trip through Mark T @ TripGuy (awesome travel agent!). We took the 6:00 a.m. non-stop flight from Philly. We arranged our own private transfers prior to arrival & were greeted with a smile by our driver, Dwane Braham, who provided transportation for us on our two previous trips (reasonable, professional, ask for him by name as you exit the airport...) We took the 15 minute ride to the Grand, and arrived just in time for breakfast!

Shevenie & Katrina checked us in quickly. Our room wasn't ready, but we left our bags with the bellman and enjoyed breakfast at our favorite spot: Port Maria, the beachside open air restaurant with gorgeous views & lovely breezes. Michael, our server, took excellent care of us. (he has a really unique way of pouring champagne!) Angie, who kept things tidy around the restaurant, greeted us each day with a warm 'hello' & a smile. Sous chef, Natalie, remembered us from our previous trip (Nov. '11) and greeted us with a huge smile & warm hugs! Her fellow chef, Dameon, did something extraordinary for us: we requested Jamaican ox tails, a local favorite, but none was available. He arrived at the resort at 4 a.m the following day and prepared ox tails just for us!! And more on the following day!! And they were finger-licking good!! Ox tails, jerk & curry chicken for breakfast?! Absolutely! We can eat pancakes & omelets at home! Many thanks to Dameon, Natalie & the entire kitchen/service staff at Port Maria!!

On Day #2, front dest manager, Natalie, was able to upgrade us to an oceanfront suite; the view was breathtaking! (Thanks, Natalie!! Mom was delighted!) Our butlers, Okeen & Wheeler were very attentive and always checked on us, even looking for us by the pool, to see if they could assist us in any way. We normally sit on the beach, but this time we decided to try something different and relax by the pool. Very nice! The two 'soccoristas' (lifeguards) Alex & Basil were so pleasant & helpful. They were vigilant; we felt completely safe leaving our belongings by the pool while we enjoyed lunch each day.

We ate at the Italian, the Japanese (thanks, Sasha-Gay!) and the Gourmet (thanks, Elvis!) ~ all were very good! Our bartenders, as always, served up great cocktails: 'Morris Day', Vaughn, Clive & Ardley (Buffalo Soldier!).

The Lobby Bar was the 'go to' spot after dinner; very classy & enjoyable! We only saw a small part of one of the nightly shows, Boogie Nights, but the Star Friends, as always, did a wonderful job! Davia 'the Diva', Tinkerbell, Stally, Lucky, Ryan & G-Money made us laugh out loud each day! They all work VERY hard to ensure that guests are having a great time. We miss you guys already! Mom & I visited the disco on this trip. In the past, the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. But, the new 'no smoking in the disco' policy was a welcome change. We enjoyed a variety of good music, including mom's favorite disco music & even hit the dance floor! Lots of fun!

Upper management was much more cordial toward guests on this visit. In the past, they seemed aloof and somewhat haughty, but this time we were greeted with a smile & asked if we were enjoying our stay. Another welcome improvement.

Travelers have a choice in accommodations in MoBay (Montego Bay) but nothing can compare to the IBG Rose Hall. The entire staff, from upper management to the chamber maids, do their very best to make guests feel welcome, as if they're part of the family.

IBG Rose Hall is our 'home away from home' and the staff is our 'family'. As soon as the wallet allows, mom & I will be 'going home' soon!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank DivaMama2
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for choosing to return to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall again for your special Mother/Daughter Trip and sharing your review. Your repeat visits to our resort means a lot to us as it reflects our continued dedication in meeting your expectations.

We put great emphasis on providing first-class accommodation, with genuine warm service and ensuring that you are treated to the finest food and beverages. Your specific mention of the check-in you received, staff, restaurants, quality of food, and service given by the Management and Staff will go a far way in encouraging our team. No doubt, our Entertainment Team will also be motivated by your generous compliments. We appreciated the time that you have taken as well in comparing your previous visits with your last visit as it showed that we have been listening to our guests and are constantly trying to improve on our services.

You can be assured that we look forward to welcoming you “back home” where your Jamaican family awaits you.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I just got back yesterday from the Iberostar Grand. I went with a girlfriend for some R & R after a rough year. We requested adjoining rooms, and they did arrange that which was great. We each wanted privacy, but I get a little creeped out in hotel rooms by myself, so it was perfect! The check in was hassle free. Even though our room wasn't ready for a little while...NO COMPLAINTS HERE -- they handed us mimosas and we made our way to the buffet and had a wondeful meal. And 2 days later we each got a hand delivered note with a plate of amazing truffles! We didn't even remember the delay w/ the room becuase we were busy eating and drinking! Both buffets (poolside and inside) had an amazing array of food choices. Pretty much everything you could want! From banana pancakes, to caviar...anything!!! And the food was just sooooooo good! And I"m all about the food!! The meals I had at the Italian Restaurant, the Surf and Turf and the French (Gourmet) restaurant were all excellently prepared and arranged. Every dish was a work of art, as well as delicious. You could tell the chefs were skilled and paid attention to every detail. The drinks were excellent. I mostly drank pina coladas and rum runners. The service was extremely attentive. The servers would come onto the beach and take your orders at least every hour. But I did not feel they were intrusive. Most days on the beach were relatively quiet. I like to sit and hear the ocean. Monday was a bit louder, with music pumping and water aerobics, but it was fun!! Beach chairs were uncomfortable, but the cushioned chairs poolside were more comfortable. Had a Swedish Massage at the Spa. Excellent therapist who asked questions and delivered according to my requests. Did go to the vendors at the end of the hotel area on the beach, which was a bit unnerving. The first few vendors were extremely aggressive to the point of being a bit scary. I hung in there, but my friend hustled her bustle right outta there. Once you could get past the first few "gate-keepers" the rest were more low key. Did venture to the Shoppes at Rose Hall. Just about 30 shoppes, but did'nt get haggled. A few were way overpriced. I'm willing to spend, but $500 for a dress or shirt was not what I was looking for at that point. I felt like they jacked up the prices expecting tourists to shell out. I"m sure some will, but it felt like they were taking advantage. Anyhow, back to the hotel. Again, the service was excellent. No request ever seemed like too much or annoying. The Jamaican people at the hotel were so warm and genuine. You can tell how hard they work to ensure folks feel welcome and receive the best experience for the cost. The rooms were very clean. And I"m the girl in that commercial that would get into a hotel bed w/ a hazmat suit on!! Not here. Sheets were clean, everything spotless and room setup was very convenient. Bathroom spacious and clean -- jacuzzi tub, separate marble shower area w/ rainshower head. Mirrors on doors w/ lighted makeup mirror by sink. Shows were fun, but room where shows are were was too hot. Disco was super fun on Friday night. Great trip and would go back again. One minor thing -- turn down service should not happen after 9:00 p.m. I had a service knock at 9:45 which I thought was a bit late. But, seriously, no real complaints. Ocean front room w/ gorgeous view of ocean. I'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: I was on ground level ocean front. It was perfect and I didn't feel unsafe. Hotel seemed very...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jen N

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your review with other travelers. We take great pleasure in knowing that you recognized our efforts made in ensuring that you had a hassle-free and relaxing vacation. Your kind comments as it pertains to our food, drinks, activities, Spa Services and hotel cleanliness are greatly appreciated and will serve to motivate our Staff.

We recognize that the informal craft vending next door to the property might seem convenient to our guests, however, we discourage our guests from doing so as they are unlicensed and untrained in how to deal with guests. We highly recommend guests to use the Hotel gift shops or to take advantage of the Free Shuttle to the Shoppes at Rose Hall. Your safety and security is our first priority whilst you are with us and so we often refer our guests to licensed tourist vendors, in order to guarantee that you will not be hassled. Despite this experience, we were relieved to hear that you had an enjoyable time.

Please do not hesitate to return soon as we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

We were at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall resort from March 3 - 10th 2012. We found the resort was just beautiful and very clean. The butler Stanley to the star friend Tinkerbell just make your trip full of laughs. In fact all the star friends and the entire staff at the Iberostar were all very friendly and helpful. The weather was nice, sunny and hot, so make sure you have sun screen so that you do not get burnt. The food was good but I found they need to have a little more variety so that the pickee eater"s like myself can have a little more to eat. On the other hand it was good because I did not gain any weight on this trip. The rooms were just amazing, that I felt like a princess. I would definately go back to this resort and would recommend you try this resort. You will not be disappointed. All the reviews that we read were very helpful in selecting this resort, our entire group of 8 people were all very happy and had a wonderful time. The pools and ocean were all very nice.
If you need a WOW factor then this is the resort to get it at. Great variety of drinks. LOL

Jill and Frfiends Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your review on this website. Your endorsement of our property will go a far way in motivating our Management and Staff, who are dedicated to ensuring that we exceed your expectations. It was a pleasure to have heard that the rest of your party were also satisfied with their stay.

We regret that our food choices fell below par and were disappointed to hear this. We would have loved to hear from you while in-house, as our Executive Chef and his team would have made an extra effort to ensure to cater specifically to your personal taste. Since we offer 24 hour Room Service, we would have been only too happy to create something specifically for you. We hope you bear this in mind the next time you visit with us.

We hope that when planning your next vacation get-away, you will have no hesitation in giving us the honor to serve you.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Now that I've stayed at an Iberostar, I'm pretty sure I'll never stay anywhere else. They took such good care of me and my husband and made our 5 day stay with them, fantastic.

We stayed on the beach and in the pool during our entire stay. It was so relaxing, we chose not to do any day trips (we'll do those next time). We had 2 butlers (one during the day and the other @ night) they were both amazing. Rashaun got us all settled once we arrived. He provided us with an internet cable to stay connected to family back home since my cell didn't work. He made our dinner reservations for that night and went above & beyond with his services. We stayed on the 4th floor & had an amazing view of the ocean and my absolute favorite amenity was the bathtub jacuzzi & shower head - it was like standing under a waterfall.

We ate Japanese 2 nights but opted to sit at a table instead of Hibatchi. We chose to go back a 2nd time because of the sushi...yummo! I could of sat there and ate the sushi all night and been satisfied. We had Italian which was my least favorite. The food was fine and I LOVE italian back home... I just wasn't feeling it. On our last night, we ate Surf and Turf and we definatley saved the best for last. Surf and Turf was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

I can't say enough about the staff. Shout out to our bartender, Morris Day!! Thank you for making us smile each day and entertaining us with your stories and singing. It was a delight seeing you in the evenings as well. Stew-Ball & Tinkerbell - Our stay wouldn't have been the same w/o you! I've never had so much fun playing beach volleyball, who knew I'd be better than you, Stew!! haha. Looking forward to our next visit :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ScorpionKing82

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. We are thrilled to have heard about the fantastic vacation you recently enjoyed with us here at the Iberostar Rose Hall Grand. Your specific mention of our beach, Butler service, scenic room view, Bartender service, food and restaurants is also deeply appreciated.

We are proud of the hard work and dedication that our Entertainment Team continue to display, but hearing from you reminds us how fortunate we are to have them. We hope that having experienced firsthand, our genuine commitment to your satisfaction, you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Feb 13th - 20th via Air Canada....Room 5416. This was the third year in a row we stayed at the Grand. We've been to other countries, and other 5* resorts. I must say this is still, a true 5* resort. The management, "Santo" was fantastic along with other managers at the resort. The service was wonderful.....the workers here are very kind and genuine. If you treat them kindly, then you will recieve it back. Star Friends "T.O" , Lucky, and all of the others were fantastic. Clive, Nordia at the lobby bar, Morris at the pool bar, Kennesha, just to name a few were all great servers/bartenders. They were fun!
The rooms are beautiful, clean, and spacious. We liked out Butlers Dwayne and Ramone. I had a bath drawn for me almost every day......all you have to do is ask your butler. The deck was huge, overlooking the pool and ocean. Our bar fridge was stocked to our liking.
The infinity pool was lovely. Beach was clean. Restaurants served delicious food. If you go, make sure you try jerk chicken. This resort is breath taking. We were treated like a king and queen, the moment we got off of our shuttle.....and by the way we used a privated shuttle, "Lees Tours". We always use this company and it is a superb service. We cannot wait to return to the Iberostar Grand, and see all of our friends we made, over the years. By the way.....we miss you all!!! Till next time.....Holly and Patrick

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlondieNS

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. We appreciate that you continue to keep choosing the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall as your vacation destination. Your kind comments about our Pool, Beach, Rooms, Service of our Staff and Management will serve to motivate us, as you have had the opportunity to evaluate our performance over the past three (3) years. This is especially important as we are always anxious to know if we are meeting our guests’ needs and expectations.

We hope that you will not hesitate to call on us, should you need any assistance in planning your next vacation, especially since we consider ourselves as being your “home away from home”

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I had a wonderful time at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall and plan on return as soon as possible. The food was great the weather was perfect and the staff was excellent! My butler Stanley took great care of eveything that I needed, Maurice the lobby bartender kept us laughing, and the parties were great. I can't wait took book my next trip. The GRAND is the best!

Room Tip: Always tip staff it helps a lot.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. We are proud of our team of hardworking and friendly staff, who continue to help us reach our goal of being resort of choice in the Caribbean. Your review shows that we are on the right path to achieving this goal. Your kind words about the food will also encourage the culinary team. We remind you that we are here to serve you and look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

My Husband and I stayed at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall for our honeymoon November 25, 2011 through December 5, 2011. This would be my thrid time at an Iberostar property, the first time for a grand, and I have to say they impress me everytime. The service here is above par. The food was excellent. The rooms were amazing, the beds being probably the best I have slept on ever... the pillow menu is awesome. Our butler was okay but we did feel that they made an appearance when not necissary in order to just receive a tip. The pools were nice but the set up was a little strange and we didn't like that you couldn't go from pool to pool wihtout getting out of the water. The drinks are great! The beach was very nice as well. I will say the atomosphere left a little to be desired for me personally. It was very quiet around the pools and beach which is nice sometimes but not all the time. While I understand this is a 5 star hotel, they could have used a little more fun around the pools/beach. The music was very retro also. It almost felt as if I was in Miami instead of Jamaica. I guess what I'm trying to say is I left wanting a little more of the "island" atomosphere instead of the "upscale posh" that we received. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it and it was very nice but I just feel like if we are in Jamaica, I'd like to hear island music at the pool/beach not elevator music. That being said, you could go next door to the suites or beach and have your fun there. Also, as I have noticed at all of the iberostar resorts I have been to. The shows leave much to be desired for me as well. Just not up to par with other resorts that I have stayed at. That being said, it was an amazing Honeymoon, we were pampered and have never relaxed as much as we did here. 10 days long was just way too short! We wish we could have stayed a month! I would recommend this resort and I surly hope that my husband and I will have a return trip here.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fbls_trvl_grl

Dear Guest:

Thank you for giving us the pleasure of hosting you for your Honeymoon last year. We appreciate that you took the time to make specific mention of our service, food, and pillow menu as being the highlights of your stay.

We take great pride at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in offering luxurious accommodations and first class amenities along with a unique blend of personalized service. In that light, please be assured that Butlers were checking on you periodically out of genuine concern. Tipping is always optional and solely based on the guest’s choice. We apologize if our Nightly Entertainment was below your standards and will ensure to pass on your comments to the Entertainment Director.

We look forward to serving you and your husband again in the near future and hope that you will not hesitate to return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!