“The Most Beautiful Honeymoon EVER!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My Husband and I stayed here from 7/16/2013-7/22/2013. We thoroughly researched resorts in MoBay and Negril and decided on Iberostar. I cannot be more pleased with our experience! We arrived very early and our room wasn't ready but that's to be expected. We were met with cold towels and Mimosas, and shown to the courtesy bathrooms where you could even take a shower and get ready for the pool until your room was ready for you. When we arrived, we had a written letter on our bed congratulating us on our marriage and welcoming us to the resort. How sweet!!

1. Room
We stayed in room 6403. It had a BEAUTIFUL view of both the resort AND the ocean. The balcony was equipped with a coffee table, a comfortable sofa and a Hammock/swing that you could sit and rock in all night. The Bed was luxurious and comfortable, the pillows you could just sink into, & it had a modern flat screen tv, CABLE, and a mini bar that STAYED well stocked, along with a sitting area in which you could dine. The chaise lounge was PERFECT to sit in and read. For this to be a "junior" suite, it was very spacious and LUXURIOUS.

2.Staff

OMG! The national Motto in Jamaica is "No Problem." And that is what I heard with each request I made. If I asked for my butler to bring Ice with Champagne, it was done, NO PROBLEM! Our Butlers were Derrin (sorry if I spelled wrong) and Donovan. They are truly assets to Iberostar. They checked on us everyday, handled any questions we had about local attractions, culture, cuisine etc etc with such ease & knowhow.

The housekeeping is 5 star quality in itself. We never had problems with any insects, I didn't see ants anywhere and considering that people leave their dirty food dishes outside in the hall for room service to collect and this being a tropical locale, I found that impeccable. Our room was turned over daily and we NEVER had a problem getting fresh towels etc. Our housekeeper did nice little things for me, like towel designs (swan etc) and leaving me fresh flowers (TRULY WONDERFUL.) Anything you wanted was a phone call or verbal request away. See your butler at the pool and want a bubble bath drawn? Just ask, its NO PROBLEM MON! The Star Friends are the bomb! They get everybody hype and are very funny! Chris in the cigar bar as well was very cool and informational! He also makes a damn good drink!

3. FOOD & DRINK

This was a major area for us because we had never ventured outside the U.S before & had some concerns over food borne illnesses. However the food at Iberostar is excellent. Make your reservations when you arrive and you will have to eat the buffet only once (which isn't bad at all, the food at the buffet is always fresh and is damn good too. ) The best restaurants are the Japanese and the Surf n Turf. Men do need to wear a button up shirt and long pants, but this is a 5 star resort remember?

The Bars are wonderful. There is a pool bar, lobby bar, cigar bar, theatre bar, and a disco. The pool bar's drinks are a little weak but considering it might be a safety issue giving too much liquor to patrons around pools and water, this is easily forgiven. The drinks are good and they come quickly whether they are brought by the wonderful pool bar staff or are made to order when you swim up to the bar. The best drinks are the Jamaican Smile (extremely addictive lol) The dirty banana, and the Miami Vice.

Room service came within 30-40 minutes of your order. There are several menus with great meals available at all hours of the night. Want a club sandwich at 3am? Its just a phone call away. It was always delivered with a smile and good morning/good afternoon etc.

4. Miscellaneous

-Wifi is available in the lobby area & pool deck of the resort but I was able to get a connection on the balcony. They are working to provide it in each room. Connection was good and fast.

-If you'd like to book a cab to see the sights, it will run about $60 USD. While it is a bit more expensive then one of the cabs in the city, it is way safer because the hotel books it for you. We rode in a spacious air conditioned van, our driver Patrick took us to see the inner city of Mobay, and then to lunch at Jerky's one of the BEST jerk chicken spots there.

-The Negril Beach tour through Jamaica Tours was excellent. Well worth the money. It goes to Margaritaville, Shopping and Ricks Café for the sunset. Be wary though, people in Negril are a lot more pushy than MoBay and while the resorts allow absolutely NO ONE on their beaches to solicit tourists, Margaritaville is the complete opposite.

OVERALL

I would definitely return here. My honeymoon was the stuff that women dream of. A beautiful place with my husband, people our age on the resort(26 & 29), having a good time and enjoying the beauty Jamaica has to offer. The people are beautiful and kind, the food and drink were great, and the rooms are fit for royalty. I truly felt like a Queen for the 6 days I was there. Im going to miss it. It was well worth the money I spent and I am already planning my return trip next year. From someone who read the bad reviews and went to this resort with a little reservation, I can honestly say Iberostar Grand left me spoiled. I truly do not believe I could stay anywhere else now after I have had the best! Thank you to all of the staff of Iberostar for making my honeymoon truly beautiful and a memory of a lifetime!

One Love,

Mrs. Darlene Garrison

4  Thank MrsDarleneG2013
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Dear Ms. Garrison,

Thank you for having chosen our property to celebrate your honeymoon. We are grateful that you had given us a fair chance despite your reservations, as it is truly heartwarming to know that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are humbled by your kind comments about our employees, and feel honored to have them working with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you again to our “problem free” vacation spot.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My first time staying at an Iberostar and it was amazing. The food was unbelievable for dinner. Never before have I had so much lobster or other fine meals at an all inclusive. I have previously stayed at Sandals, Secrets, Dreams, Marriotts and Ritz Carlton's. Nice snorkeling off the shore. Golf was great as well. I would return in a heartbeat. You won't be disappointed. Ocean front is worth it!

1  Thank Financier_LLC

Dear Guest

Thank you for the kind words that you have submitted about our property. Your positive comments about our food was really inspiring to us, It is always gratifying to know that we have accomplished our mission of guest satisfaction. We do hope that you choose to spend another vacation here with us, and would be more than happy to assist with any requests you might have prior to your arrival. Once you have planned and booked your trip, please feel free to contact us at pr.grand@iberostar.com.jm

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I've been to this resort twice, once in July of 2010 and also last month. The resort is amazing, the customer service, the food, the drinks, etc. are all wonderful. We had a butler 24/7 who assisted us with whatever we needed as well as made reservations for us at whatever resort hotel we wanted to dine at. The actual restaraunts on the resort were great, our favorite is the Japanese restaraunt. Our latest visit to this resort was for our wedding, we got married on June 14th. Our wedding planner was the absolute best her name is Jenielle. She assisted me from the time I started planning my wedding up until I arrived. She made sure that I wasnt stressed the entire week I was there, she handled EVERYTHING for me and my wedding was absolutly beautiful. I uploaded a picture to share. I also visited the spa before my wedding day and it was very relaxing, the staff took great care of us during our stay. We will be returning most likely for our 5 year anniversary : )

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Firstly, we would like to congratulate you on your new union. We are honored to have been able to welcome you twice, and are delighted that you had chosen our property for such a special occasion. We do understand the importance of such an experience, and are happy that Janeille pleasingly assisted with the successful execution of your dream day. We really do appreciate your kind words about our property and staff, and would relish the opportunity to welcome you for any of your anniversaries or future “just because” visits.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I'm going to try to give information in this review that is not necessarily present in others. First off, would I go again, yes absolutely without a shadow of a doubt, best holiday I've ever been on.

Ironically I found out about this place because I was looking for somewhere that you could have unlimited lobster. When I got there the lobster was off season because of government restrictions on the fishing period. Not the hotel's fault but I'll definitely return during lobster season. Curiously a lot of the restaurants still had lobster on their menus - some had a slip note to say the lobster was being replaced with shrimp. You'd really expect a 5 star place to print off fresh menus and indeed vary them.

Disappointed with the surf and turf restaurant. Asked for a medium steak, it came cremated and didn't have time to ask for another one as was going to the Pirate Beach Show. Gourmet restaurant was also weird in serving water out of a large plastic bottle (other restaurants it was served out of a metal jug).
The buffet food was absolutely great, I'm a fussy eater and there was so much variety of good quality food on offer you couldn't go wrong. There were themes to the buffet evenings (eg. Oriental, Jamaican) and a suggestion would be to publish the schedule for these themes in advance because if you didn't like the theme for a particular day you could then book a restaurant for that day.

Seen lots of other reviews about the reserving sun bed games. I have to confess each night I would get in from the disco approx. 3:30am and be out at 07:30am every morning getting my favourite spot. However, I wouldn't leave that spot from then unless I was going for 30 mins for food or to the swim up bar, which I think is reasonable. Mostly sun beds weren't unoccupied for the 4+ hours being suggested - it's true people would come at 8am and reserve and not be there until 10-11am but then they would mostly occupy that spot throughout the day.

Went every night to the disco because I like to dance. DJ on the Friday night was excellent, he really knew how to play what the crowd wanted - some of the DJs sometimes played music styles people didn't want for too long, despite the fact it being obvious no one was dancing to it and so people left making the disco more deserted. Disco is shared between all 3 hotels so it has quite a good vibe to it.

Being adults only is what really appealed to me about the hotel as I'm not really a big fan of kids running about screaming. However, some of the other adult guests were worse - why you need to shout so the whole pool can hear when the person you're in 'a conversation' with is just next to you is beyond me. I'm no prude either, spending plenty of summers in Magaluf, but I'd never experienced those kind of noise levels during the day.

Didn't spend much time in the room but a few things to counteract what other reviews have mentioned. Didn't find the 'pooling' of the water in the shower a big inconvenience. You can adjust the air con - the temp controls are by the side of the bed, ice was available for us in the room (but it took some hunting out), mini bar was restocked daily with whatever had run out.

A lot of reviews I've seen have criticised that butlers were never there - I think that's the wrong impression, in all the films I've seen they ring for a butler to appear rather than just expect them to magically be there - and the same was true here. My wife had got burnt on the first day, the pool concierge people had noticed this and radioed up to the butler to supply some after sun, which he dutifully did. Indeed the pool concierge people would always be offering to rub sun cream into me.

Which brings me onto the staff. They are the most friendly, helpful people you will meet.
Shout outs to 'Dr' D.Wayne and Yolanda in the lobby bar. Yolanda had an award winning smile and Dwayne was always keeping us amused with his tricks and banter.

There are a few easy things the hotel could address
- The hotel very generously provides sunscreen but not until 10am, they don't have to do this but I'd noted it from other reviews and took hand luggage only. The sun made an appearance over the buildings between 08:45 - 09:00 so it would be good to have protection for then.
- The in room hotel facilities guide was very old and grubby and as that's the first thing you go to, it doesn't create the best first impression. Be better to either replace every month or cover the sheets in plastic.
- The times the shows begin aren't advertised outside the front of the theatre. Of course all you have to do is ask but I prefer to look up information for myself.
- Please, please get a wider variety of music selection at the pool side bar. Hearing 'I shot the Sheriff' 20 times a day starts getting you down

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CMPhoenix

Dear Guest

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience. We are joyful that despite our imperfections, we were able to give you a satisfying experience.

Our hotel is Green Globe certified, which will reflect through our practices. This is part of our reason for not changing the restaurant menus that consist of lobster dishes, but instead placing the notice with the substitution. We also want our guests to be aware of what the original menu options are, since these are what are available for the majority of the year. We find that this information also assists some repeat customers when planning their future visits. We do serve water from pitchers in our Cornwall and Port Maria Buffet Restaurants, but serve from the actual bottled water in the A La Carte Restaurants because of the different atmosphere. We do have the restaurant schedule ready for each week, on the Saturday before the week begins. This information can be requested at pr.grand@iberostar.com.jm Dinner reservations can also be pre-booked.

It is unusual for us to leave unpresentable directories in the room, but have also already started to use laminated ones, to better uphold our standards and facilitate our Green Globe practices.

The time the show begins is actually located on each Grand Journal stand that is located close to the elevator of each floor, as well as in the lobby, as this is where all the entertainment activities for the day are posted.

We will definitely be taking all your suggestions into consideration. We are happy that you enjoyed the other facilities, and the exceptional service of our staff, in particular your butlers, pool concierges and bar staff.

We would love the opportunity to give you an even better vacation experience than your last.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

This place is amazing! My husband and I got married there only 6 months ago and needed to go back because we missed it so much! The service is always above what you would expect. Upon arrival we were upgraded to an ocean front room! Syreka and janelle were our wedding planners and we ran into them to say hello. They had our butler decorate our room in honor of our return! The food was so good! Where else has lobster and caviar at the lunch buffet? At the surf and turf restaurant the waiter insisted that my husband have lobster with his meal... Again where does this happen? The people of jamaica are the nicest people! They love their country and really want you to love it too! Highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for you generous review. We were ecstatic to have been able to serve you again so soon after your wedding. Your comments about our cuisine and the warmth of our staff will also go a far way in motivating our team. We hope that you will also consider returning for your one (1) year wedding anniversary and trust that you will not hesitate to contact us at pr.grand@iberostar.com.jm to let us know when you have booked.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Our stay at Iberostar Beach Resort in Jamaica was in one word-perfect! The staff were amazing. Each and everyone had a smile. We were treated very well.
The room was very clean and the bed was spectacular. The air conditioning was quiet and kept the room at a comfy temperature.
The food was beyond our expectations. It was very fresh and delicious with lots of great choices.
We enjoyed the pool and the Star friends who made it all fun.
The beach is fine sand and the water is warm.
Thanks to Lloyd, Barbara, Slick and Danica for making our stay extra special. You are the people who make this place shine. Carol Ann and Tony

Room Tip: Our room faced the beach...beautiful!

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. We appreciated hearing feedback from you as to your opinion of our staff, rooms, food and entertainment and were especially pleased to learn that we had met your high expectations. We look forward to serving you again soon and trust that you will not hesitate to return.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I booked the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Jamaica to attend a friend's wedding that was being held at the resort. We have been to a few resorts, but never to a 5 star resort before. We truly enjoyed the experience. Marlon, our butler was wonderful and made sure that we had everything we needed, wanted, and even things that we didn't even know that we could ask for! The restaurants were all wonderful, but we kept returning to the Surf and Turf and the theme buffet. If you have your heart set on lobster, don't visit in May, as lobster is illegal to catch during this time. I think it is also unavailable in June, but check for yourself - don't quote me on that. They substituded scallops whenever lobster was stated and they were delicious.
If you are considering a wedding here, go for it! It is a wonderful location - rain or shine!
All in all, I will definitely recommend to others, and will try to visit again myself..... I just have to find a babysitter....

Room Tip: It seemed that all rooms had lovely views. We were near the lobby with views of the pools and the oc...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review. We were pleased to hear that we had met your high expectations especially the quality of our restaurants, cuisine and butler service

During the period of April 1, 2013 to June 30, 2013 we are not allowed to serve Lobster based on Jamaican Fishing Laws. During this time we substitute Shrimp for Lobster in our Lobster Dishes. We are looking forward to planning your wedding with you and invite you email our wedding coordinator at weddings.grand@iberostar.com.jm. Also remember that you can also spend vacation as a family along with your children at the neighboring hotels, Iberostar Beach Rose Hall or Iberostar Suites Rose Hall.

We look forward to serving you again soon and hope that you will not hesitate to return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!