“Jamaica Vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Woodstock, Vermont
“Jamaica Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

there are 3 areas at the resort, Adults only, suites and rooms, everything was always Perfect, housekeeping was Very attentive, store staffs all great, grounds were always in perfect order, food was exquisite
OVERALL
I WILL GO BACK, because I know what I/WE will get when we stay there
tom herrick, jr.

Room Tip: The resort was great views from all rooms, the staff was Fantastic...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank falconerinvermont
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Guest;

Thank you for your kind review. It was our privilege to have been able to serve you. To this end, it was quite rewarding to hear that you enjoyed our attentive staff, delicious food and luxurious layout of our property. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,922)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Hummels Wharf, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We went to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in January 2013 with about 150 other people. Which made for good fun. The resort was so beautiful that you never wanted to leave. The service was over the top. Everyone was so friendly and could not to enough for you. The only thing we did not like was that you had to make dinner reservations for every night. Thank goodness we did it right after we got there. Other people in our group were not able to make reservations because they were all booked up. So we suggest that as soon as you get to the resort make your dinner reservation right away. But everything else was perfect.
Kathy Young

Room Tip: Make dinner reservation right away
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Kathy Y
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. We were grateful to hear that you found our staff friendly, and our service exceptional. Our Management and Staff are ecstatic that we had successfully provided a flawless and relaxing vacation for you. We look forward to serving you again and trust that you will think of us as your Jamaican “home away from home”.

Boerne, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Having stayed at Iberostar in Playa del Carmen, was expecting perfection; instead got pretty good. This business of housekeeping collecting used glassware but not replacing it really got old quick. You must request clean glassware from your butler. I would rather hand wash my own glasses than wait for replacements! The food was generally outstanding but I do believe my filet mignon was some other kind of beefsteak and folded over to look like filet. It was very good however! Also, the lamb served in the gourmet restaurant was almost certainly beef; also tasty however. In Mexico, I requested citrus vodka every evening and it was always there; here there was no such option and every evening I had to specifically request whatever vodka was available. Highly recommend the Big Band show, others were energetic but not special. Buffets were very good if repetitive. Pretty spot and most employees were very friendly (not so much bartenders). Pretty good over all; Grand Pariso in Playa del Carmen much better.

3 Thank Kevin K
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to express our sincere apologies for the inconsistent service you received whilst in-house especially as it concerned the replacement of the glasses placed in our guestrooms. We want to clarify though that we do not replace items on the menu e.g. beef for lamb. Our Management would also like to express apology for the unavailability of your favourite drink. We can assure you that we will be looking into how we can improve on these specific issues in the future. It was unfortunate that you had not spoken with our Public Relations Manager whilst you were in house as we would have made every effort to communicate your grouses with the respective Departments and to ensure that you left satisfied.

Please come again soon as we would love to show you our usual high level of service and to ensure a flawless visit next time around.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is our first time going to Jamaica and staying at an Iberostar property for our honeymoon trip. We booked our trip through Ruth from Tripguy and she was actually the one that suggested us to go to Jamaica and I'm glad we listened to her suggestion. Since we wanted to take some pictures in formal attire, Ruth was helpful in gathering all the salons, photography information for us and because this is our first time going to an all-inclusive resort, she had to explain everything to us, which probably took a lot of her time. Nevertheless, she is amazing in helping us to organize our fabulous trip. :D:D

I love the service provided, staffs, butlers, etc etc were amazing. First thing you walk into the resort, they will greet you with a welcome drink, and they will try to do w/e to make your stay enjoyable. Since this is our honeymoon, we asked if we could get a room upgrade, and they just did it for us for free w/o any questions. =]

The scenery was absolutely gorgeous, was very relaxing, sitting in front of the beach and have a beach BBQ lunch. Also, the drinks (cocktails) were amazing, just couldn't stop drinking. =P. Also , the entertainment team was amazing with the daily activities and the night show. Especially Peter, one of the entertainment star was very funny and hes darn good at ping pong.

Overall, service was great, housekeeping was great, food was great. I definitely recommend people go to this resort.

7 Thank Steven C
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. We are grateful for the chance to have hosted you on your first visit to the island. Your comments about our service, staff, scenic views and delicious food and drinks will also serve to reward our staff. Our staff work assiduously for the satisfaction of all our guests, so reviews like yours demonstrate that their efforts have not gone unnoticed. We hope that when planning your next Caribbean vacation, the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall name will be foremost on your mind as your destination of choice.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This place is like heaven on earth! The service was nice/ they spoiled you. They knew me by name. The butler service was dreamy..omg. The rooms were beautiful, the decor all around was top notch. The food was classic, seasoned well, great variety, presentation was delightful, service was the greatest.They spoiled you. I know that there is not a perfect place but I saw nothing wrong. Perfect place to bring your wife and know that you will be the man of the year. I loved the pillow menu. The butler ran your bath water at the time you wanted it. Roses and all. To be honest with you, I am done with Hiltons and Marriotts they are nothing compared to the Iberostar Grand. This is the way to vacation. I will be spending the rest of my vacations "Ibero Style"- I've been home for 4 weeks now and I can not get this place out of my mind.

Room Tip: we had a partial beach view- it was nice. Next time I will pay the extra $20 for a full beach view...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kim G
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. Your positive comments about our service in general, butler service, luxuriously appointed rooms and delicious food was very encouraging to our team. Our management and staff are hopeful that you will consider returning in the near future. We look forward to exceeding your expectations even further and demonstrating how committed we are to meeting the unique needs of our guests.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I loved this resort and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The staff butlers, concierge, servers, housekeeping etc. we're great. We celebrated my moms 50th birthday at Iberostar and we were very pleased with our experience. The entertainment was great the food was good and my family was very pleased with our experience at this Resort. We stayed in the Grand and it was best because no kids were allowed. The other two Resorts are kid friendly. I will return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Cee Cee H
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review. Your kind comments about our friendly staff and beautiful grounds were most appreciated and we can assure you that your words will go a far way to inspire our team. Our staff work tirelessly to ensure that each guest experience is a memorable one. To this end, it was delightful to hear that your recent stay to celebrate your Mom’s 50th Birthday, was a resounding success. We look forward to hosting you again and trust that you and your Mom will not hesitate to think of our hotel as your “home away from home”.

OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

This is my first stay at an Iberostar property and had high hopes, but I was sadly disappointed by many things. Ive been to Jamaica many times to many different properties and wanted to stay at a different location and this resort fit the bill based on the glowing reviews here, so I placed my reservation. I spent 5 nights recently and here are my observations.

Location: This is part of a 3 hotel property with the Grand being the jewel of the 3 Iberostar properties and is located at the westernmost edge of the property. It is an easy 20 minute ride from the aiport if direct, otherwise expect nearly 45-1 hr if your transfer is dropping others off, no big deal.

Grounds: This is the best part of the hotel...they keep the grounds in excellent condition...from the time you come in to the pool area to the beach, everything was in great shape, no exception - there was always someone trimming, cleaning up, painting - whatever. They do pay excellent detail to the grounds, I was very impressed. However, we did see a couple of stray cats eating the local geckos within arms reach of the pool This little cat just cruised behind my lounge chair and caught a gecko from a bush and proceeded to make a meal of it. Not sure if this is local pest control or not, but it was weird seeing a cat by the pool. Also, the beach is a public (Federal) beach, so there are at times folks trying to sell you stuff. The staff has security, but they cant keep the hawkers out of the water, so as long they stay in the water, so they come right up to the shoreline and sell just about everything - everything - you need. I knew this coming in, but it was a point of annoyance.

Room: Typical resort room. We stayed in the oceanview suite - and had an excellent view of everything - really nice location. The room is smaller than I expected having stayed at Sandals and Secrets resorts in Jamaica, this is the smallest of the 3. Not a big issue, we dont spend our time in the room, but for the money, a bigger room was expected. The amenities were fine, again, typical of a large facility, not disappointed here. Bar was always stocked. More on this later.

Food: Expected better from the reviews here, but honestly, the food was mediocre at best. Im not demanding gourmet food from a place that has to serve probably 750 people per meal, but this was cafeteria food at best. Even the "Gourmet" restaurant at night was passable at best. I understand that due to the scale of the place, you certainly cannot expect 5-star food, but when you pay big dollars, I expected more. So this was a letdown of sorts...no completely bummed out, but definitely can be improved upon by the hotel.

Staff: Overall the staff was friendly and engaging. There is the ubiquitous expectation of tipping. I tip, and I tip well - every beer, drink, meal, whatever, I left a nice tip - no questions, no issue with it, it's what I do - having served in the hospitality sector, I know how important it is to the staff. However, I saw that folks that didnt tip, would get passed by servers at the beach and the pool. This was a disappointment. The room was always well kept, the maids did a nice job. Front Desk staff were always ready to help and very professional.

Personal Staff (Butlers/Concierges): It took 3 days to find out who our Butler was. I had stopped by the concierce station within an hour of arrival to ask for a specific drink in my room, but it wasnt handled for 2 days, finally on the 3rd day a new fellow knocked on my door to inform me that he was my butler and if I had any needs. I told him of my specific drink request and he made it happen within the hour, but Im baffled by what took the previous butler 2 days to figure out. However, after my request was fulfilled and he was well remunerated for his efforts, he stopped by a bit too often, maybe smelling some easy payouts(?)
Remember folks, bring lots of dollars for the many hands that will be proffered.

Entertainment: If youre expecting a quiet pool experience, this location is not for you. I would estimate that the average age at this property was in the upper 40s, early 50s, that said the music was loud all afternoon catering to the younger crowd. I felt somewhat badly for the folks that payed out to stay here only to be bombarded with the newest dance songs. Also, the loudspeaker system is used all day to lead pool exercises/events. Quiet is definitely not available here. Evening entertainment was okay, something different every night. Nothing bad to say here. I hope these entertainers get paid well, cause they work their butts off for the smallish crowds.

Overall, compared to other chains in Jamaica, Iberostar has work to do to catch up to the others. I suspect they are doing the best they can based on the size of the property, and based on the glowing reviews, I suspect there are many first timers that havent had the exposure to other properties on the island and cannot give a fair comparison/contrast to others, but from my many trips, Iberostar needs to step it up to be on par with the rest.

6 Thank Flabeets
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the disappointing experience at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. We have noted all the negative observations which contributed to your overall stay, and assure you that these incidents are not the norm. Please be assured too that our Management will be looking into how we can improve on those areas to ensure a more memorable and hassle-free vacation. We hope that you will come again soon and trust that you will not hesitate to return in the near future.

We remind all guests that tipping is optional, our staff do not solicit tips. To this end, persons are definitely not required to tip for each service given.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,982 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!