“Iberostar Grand Rose Hall”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Beautiful top notch resort. Very clean, BEST SERVICE and Entertainment staff. We had an awesome time and will return. We have stayed at Secrets since this trip, and feel Iberostar is better. The check in staff always tries very hard to get you the best room and will upgrade you if available.

Room Tip: Ocean Front upgrade is worth the extra money. We upgraded from ocean view to Ocean front upon check...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kelli C
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. Your positive comments about our hotel, service and staff was especially rewarding to our team. Our team looks forward to your return and can assure you that we will try especially hard to make sure your next visit is even more memorable.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Write a ReviewReviews (6,723)

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We went there in early February and never wanted to leave. The staff were unbelievably helpful, courteous, and very willing to please:
- Stephen at the front desk always greeted me well, even though I only had typical tourist questions.
- Our butlers, Darwin and Randy were available and made us feel so spoiled!
- Bubbles at the pool kept us entertained and provided as many opportunities to participate in as we wanted.

If you are going to Jamaica, this resort is a great location for golf and local attractions ... or you can simply enjoy the luxury of the resort surroundings and entertainment.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank brimyn

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review. Your recommendation of our hotel and our staff means a lot to us. Such warm comments show that our team consistently goes the extra mile to ensure that we are meeting the needs of our guests. It is our aim to make each guest’s stay a uniquely memorable one, so reviews like yours demonstrate our commitment to this goal. We look forward to receiving you again and trust that you will not hesitate to make the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall your next vacation destination.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This place is heaven on earth. It's has everything you want from a vacation resort. Excellent food, top rail alcohol, gorgeous resort and above all great service. And lets face it, you can get most of that at any resort in this price range. What you can't put a price on is the staff. From the moment you get of the bus, till you leave. At the front desk, Barrington will check you in, get you and drink, give you a tour of the resort and take you to lunch. Than the bellman will take you and your luggage to your amazing suite. After that your Butler stops by to introduce himself. We had Okeine and Stephan. Stephan is new and he is learning from the best. They change shifts but they are there from I think from 9am till 10pm. They took care of everything from making dinner reservations to putting sweets surprises in my room, to making the adorable towel animals plus more,,,,. We are out of the room most of the day so they would come down to the pool and find us to make sure everything was great. The bartenders, Jerry is always at the pool bar, will get you a drink and a smile. Jamaica smiles are BEST!
I read in a past review that there was no need to tip. That is NOT true. Tipping is based on GREAT service, and you get it here. AND PLEASE when you get this kind of exceptional, personal treatment show your appreciation. I can't say enough about the staff.....I think they can make or break a fabulous resort..... and trust me, The staff from the check in to check out are the best.

Room Tip: Most of suites have a great view. You should stay at the Grand, if you want more excitement you walk...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donna H

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. It was very inspirational to see your review. We appreciate the fact that you chose to recommend our staff, especially our Front Office Agent, Bartenders and Butlers, who work tirelessly to ensure guest satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will not hesitate to tell your friends and family about our hotel. It would be our esteemed pleasure to be able to host you again soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed in room 5409 February 21st through the 28th and had the best service from the time our shuttle picked us up at the airport until we were shuttled back. When we arrived around 1pm our room was ready and we were also given an upgrade, without asking for it. We booked a garden view and they gave us an ocean view which was AWESOME!!!! I want to give a special thanks to our Butler Tafan!!! He should be rewarded for doing his job above and beyond. We were at the resort ALSO when the large Corporate Group checked in on the 21st and I feel I need to say that we still received the best service ever!!!! Our Butler made all of our dinner arrangements for us without our asking, which was great, we did make a couple changes and actually canceled one of them. We had no problems getting 6:30 or 7 oclock reservations. We had a problem with our hair dryer and had a new one replaced immediately. We also had a problem with our i-pod docking station and we had service on it immediately. We had laundry sent out, regular service, and had it back within 4 hours. We requested wake up calls also with no problems. When my boyfriend noticed that they didn't have any Jack Daniels in our refridgerator Tafan made sure we had it in our room that evening. He checked on us daily to see if we needed anything, what more can you ask for? My only regret is that we didn't book our trip for 10 days. I can't wait to come back. Thank you EVERYONE from Iberostar Grand for making our vacation the best ever!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank SMG392

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review of the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. Your comments about the excellent service, and professional staff was certainly encouraging. Our management and staff tries exceptionally hard to ensure prompt attention to problems reported by our guests. For this reason, we encourage persons to report any point of dissatisfaction immediately to our Public Relations team. So it was very rewarding to see your review, stating that all your complaints had been dealt with promptly – allowing you to have had a memorable stay with us. We look forward to your return and hope that you will not hesitate to visit our hotel soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We traveled to the IGRH from Feb 23 thru Mar 2. What a great time to leave Pennsylvania since it has been such a cold, snowy winter.

We booked an Apple Vacation and once again, could not have been happier with all involved - the agents at Boscov's Travel Center, airport Apple contacts and the IGRH on site Apple rep, Christine France!

Arrival at the MBJ airport on a Sunday afternoon at 2:30-ish could not have gone smoother! Our immigration forms were completed and checked by a help desk we saw shortly after getting off the plane so as soon as we got to the final check before the que lines, we were ready unlike a lot of others. This was good for us since they could not que until their forms were given the ok by an agent. We waited in the que no more than 5 minutes. A few with the immigration agent, got our bag, went thru customs in about 5 minutes, found the airport Apple staff, got to our shuttle bus, husband had a cigarette (outside of the bus....can hear people already on their non smoking soapbox), and in less than 5 minutes we were on our way.....only two other couples on our shuttle with one being dropped off at the Holiday Inn and the other at the suites portion of the Iberostar. All in all, I would say we were off the plane, thru the airport and at the Grand in 40 minutes.

Check in - greeted with a cool towel and lead to the front desk by a bell hop where we were greeted with a warm welcome and a mimosa. We were upgraded from the standard suite I booked to a junior suite. We loved the room although others would complain because it was on the first floor and while the partial ocean view was somewhat....not totally blocked by a palm, we had a great balcony for viewing activity pool events.....worked for us! We put our suits on and went exploring. On our way out, we stopped at the concierge desk and, (egads!), made our own dinner reservations.....while we are a middle aged couple and with our work schedules we are accustomed to a late dinner and were fine with spending a day in the sun, relaxing in the room for a few hours before heading out for our 8:30pm dinners.

I guess because I work with grocery retailers at my job, we LOVED the large Canadian corporate grocery group and NEVER felt that they were given priority over us. In fact, we missed them when they left!

Cannot say anything negative about the food. My husband eats his eggs over easy and no broken yolks from any of the cooks at Cornwell buffet or Port Maria. Loved the fresh fruits and cheeses at meals. So many things to choose and they were all really good......whether we were eating from the Jamaican station or the other station....salad greens were always fresh.

Dinners - I am the picky eater of our couple and nothing on the Italian menu or gourmet menu appealed to me so as a result we ate at Japanese and surf & turf restaurants twice, in addition to the dinner buffet one night and room service on Beach Party night. Our first night in, we were both sound asleep by 8:30 due to the stress of the travel day, a few strong rum drinks and a late afternoon snack held us until breakfast Monday morning!

At the Japanese restaurant, we did NOT need to nor want to sit at a hibachi table....have experienced that and do not need to do it. The sushi appetizer met my husband's expectations as did my tempura veggies. The beef fillet tepanyaki was to die for! So flavorful and tender. Desserts were equally delicious. Enjoyed our first experience so much that on our second visit 3 days later, we repeated all of our selections. Our server, Sherilyn (apologize for the incorrect spelling) remembered what we ordered the first time and did not need us to repeat it and she got it right!

Surf & Turf - neither of us found an appetizer that we wanted to try during our first visit since I heard a great review on the porterhouse steak and wanted to try it. My husband had the ribeye. Both of our steaks were done to our liking and flavorful. Not a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse steak but way far above Outback, Longhorn and Texas Roadhouse type steaks. Side dishes were also good. Desserts- husband enjoyed the cheesecake and I enjoyed the chocolate hazelnut cake. Our second visit, I had the double cut filet and my husband had a filet with a grilled chicken breast. We also shared the shrimp and chicken appetizer with was very delicious. We had the same desserts as the previous dining visit.

We went to two shows in the theater - Boogie Nights and Ideal Couple. Ideal Couple should not be missed. We also attended the Beach Party / Show on Thursday night.......do not miss it. Great audience participation show with lots of drinks flowing!

The true stars of this resort are the staff members. Jilliane at the pool washrooms who greeted me with a huge smile every time she saw me to managers who greeted us. Jo Dane, the PR Manager, actually made a point of stopping us to see how our vacation was going so far (this was on the morning of our third day) and by that point we had already met the Star Friends and knew staff member names and were able to tell her how much we appreciated the service we were receiving from everyone. That evening, she sent us a plate of delicious chocolate truffles as a thank you for taking the time out of our vacation to talk with her.

We are working class people and enjoyed talking with Basil, lifeguard; Michael, groundskeeper; bartenders Jerry, Keifer, Kemar, to name a few plus the waitstaff - Fitzroy, Barrington, Sherilyn, Ned and numerous others...always greeting with a smile. My husband was impressed that the head chef took time on two occasions to speak with him....once actually about our dinner and once he was on his way to a beach event and they discussed motorcycles for several minutes!! The little personal touches!

The Star Friends - wow! What an energetic group of young people! Loved watching Thunder and Misters Neat and Fresh and their dance moves! What strength! The ladies - Shortcake, Diamond, Bubbles, Stella and Ki Ki........what a great bunch! From reading reviews, I felt I knew them before I even met them to the point that I viewed them as celebrities! And they took their time to talk to me! Ha, ha.

The towel game is played big time but while we were there, we did not notice anyone leaving places unattended for hours on end. We had our favorite spot - morning and late afternoon sun but shaded during the heat of the day, close to the restrooms, Port Maria and the pool bar! While the poolside and beachside drink service was great, we do not have problems getting up and getting our own drinks either. Hey, we need some form of exercise! Also appreciate the fact that bottled water was always readily available at the pool bar. Such a saver for me since I need a lot of water in tropical climates to keep from dehydrating.

Tipping - while tips are included, we tip for exceptional service and appreciated all that made our vacation special. We never felt anyone expected a tip for doing their job. We did not notice a difference in the level of service if someone tipped or did not tip. However, everyone here is a hard worker and we wanted to show our appreciation.

I realized I forgot to mention housekeeping! I have never had a vacation where I did not feel the grit of sand on the room floor....that was until this one! Morning housekeeping always had our room made up early. We would leave for a few hours and one of us, or both, would return for a cool down around mid day and room was always made. No problem with towels or wash cloths. Mini bar refreshed every day. No issues with evening turn down service and towel replacement either.

I have found that a lot of people will complain about alot of little things and that nothing but complaining makes them happy. Some forget that the world does not revolve around them and rather than go with the flow, the will complain because they are not being focused on or getting what they want.

MBJ airport return trip - as equally pleasant as arrival. We had booked Club Mo Bay and just for the fast track thru customs and immigration was worth it. However, the staff there and the drinks and snacks also made it worthwhile.....a nice relaxing place at the airport.

IGRH more than exceeded our expectations due to their staff members. We think we have been ruined from going anywhere else!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Vacationer028

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. We were proud to see that our hotel had successfully met your expectations. It was kind of you to refer to our smooth check-in, excellent quality of our cuisine and friendly staff. Our Management and staff are always exceedingly glad when our guests can report that they had a flawless stay. To this end, your kind words were motivating. Our team looks forward to accommodating you again and hope that you will continue to include us in your future vacation plans.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica. I honestly do not have one bad thing to say other than your staff do not get paid enough for the amazing work they do! The whole staff are friendly and make you feel like family!! Kudos to Stella, Kiki, Shortcake and bubbles for always being around for activities, entertainment and great conversation they are all truly an asset to your company!
The rooms are beautiful! The bathrooms are large, two sinks with an amazing jacuzzi bathtub and a shower with a rain shower head with awesome water pressure !! The maids are great, our rooms were spotless and the guys always made sure our mini bar was restocked! Room service was lovely and I felt like a star the whole time there. I am 6 months pregnant and the staff were always making sure I was doing okay. The bartenders made me some awesome Virgin drinks and the waitresses always made sure I was well hydrated !! Every time I went to the bathrooms on the resort there was someone keeping it spotless! Had a wonderful time keep up the good work and can't wait to go back !!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
5  Thank Chrissbean

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review of our property. We appreciated that you chose to remember us on your return home. Your special mention of our Entertainment team will certainly inspire them to continue offering their same dedicated service. It was heartwarming to hear that our staff in general, rooms, beverages and room service had exceeded your expectations. Our team looks forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will not hesitate to think of our hotel as your “home away from home” for future vacations.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Word of warning, this is a LONG review but we want to make sure we are completely honest and fair in our review. We were surprised to see that we had not reviewed this resort after our first trip three years ago (2011). If we had reviewed it back then, the rating would have been 5+ stars and our comments would have been absolutely glowing. This time that is not the case.

We are Canadian mid-life travellers who travel VERY frequently. As Canadians, we rarely complain and if we do, it's usually by way of a letter but at the same time, when service is exceptional, we are the first to write a letter of praise.

If you are considering a first time vacation at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay, Jamaica, you would likely be very impressed and caught up with the grandeur of the resort when you first arrive. Three years ago when we arrived we were very impressed and we can honestly say that we were impressed again this year when we arrived. The lobby is very grand and upon arrival staff greet you with a cool cloth and a mimosa ... a lovely way to start a vacation.

As we already said, if we were writing this review three years ago, it would be very different but this review is based on the trip we just returned home from. This vacation was a honeymoon for us and our best friends were travelling with us. As we already stated, this was a return trip for all of us to this resort.

It was approximately noon when we arrived at the resort and we knew that the rooms are typically not ready until 3:00 p.m. We had absolutely no issue with that as we had our bathing suits in our carry on bags and were more than willing to wait; however, upon check-in, the clerk said that he was going to do his best to have our rooms ready for us at 1:15 p.m. We confirmed with the clerk that he knew we were all return guests and that two of us are on our honeymoon. We also confirmed with the clerk that we had requested rooms that were next door to each other. The clerk confirmed that he was aware of all of this and then told us to go and enjoy lunch and come back at 1:15 p.m. We again told him we were in no rush and were more than prepared to wait until 3:00 but he reiterated 1:15. We popped down to the "Cornwall" Buffet Restaurant for a leisurely lunch and around 1:30, we made our way back to front reception.

When we got back to front reception we were told that our friends room was ready but that our room wasn't ready because they wanted to do something special with our room. The clerk also told us that he could not give us rooms next door to each other because he wanted to make sure we had special rooms. As we noted previously, we were not in a rush to get to our rooms as it was mid-day and after coming from the cold Canadian winter, we were happy to be outside enjoying the sun. Having one room ready was a bonus because we could drop our suitcases off there but it wasn't necessary.

We should also point out that our day of check-in was Monday February 17. We mention this because we were married on Friday February 14 and due to wedding arrangements and travel time that was required to get to the airport from our home, we had not slept for four nights when we arrived in Jamaica. Needless to say we were EXCEPTIONALLY overtired.

As we left the reception area to take our bags to our friends room, the clerk told us that our room should be ready by 3:00 p.m. He apologized for the delay but said that it was only because they wanted to make sure we had a special room and they wanted to do something special with our room. We thought it was likely related to us being on our honeymoon so we just smiled.

After putting the bags in our friends room, we all went back down to the pool and the sun and enjoyed our afternoon and then later came back up to check in to our room. When we got up to our room, it was a total disappointment. Sure, the room was fine but nothing special. When we were at this resort three years previously, we had a room that was very similar (if not the same) to the room we were given and there was definitely nothing special done to the room.

From the very start we've said that we were in no rush to get to our room and that was absolutely true. If they had just told us from the start there was a delay with our room, we would have been 100% fine with that but it was the fact that they told us they were doing something special with our room and that they were giving us a special room that frustrated us when we finally got to the room. To be perfectly honest, our friends had a better room that we did as their room stepped out further so they had a better view. It was very disappointing and we did go down to reception and spoke to management about our disappointment. As noted previously, we were EXCEPTIONALLY overtired so the conversation did not go well; however, we did apologize the following day for the way we handled the conversation.

After a full day in the sun, we went back to our room and settled in. We then went to dinner in La Toscana (Italian restaurant). The meal was good but nothing spectacular. Keep in mind that one of us is a Chef. We noted that the plates were cold and for us, hot food should be served on a hot plate. After dinner we headed back to our rooms and upon opening our door, we could see that there were lit candles all along the hallway from our door to the bed. They tub was filled with water and bubbles and there were flower petals in the shape of a heart. The bed was covered in flower petals and there was a plate of chocolate treats. Yes, it was a lovely touch but honestly, we were still feeling a little sour about the delayed check-in process and the promise of a "special" room.

We were on a 10 day stay at this resort and for the first 6 nights our only challenge with making dinner reservations was when we went through our Butler, Kevin. He couldn't seem to get the reservations right and kept making them at La Toscana rather than the restaurants we wanted to go to. Eventually we went down to Guest Services and made all our reservations through them and they got them right.

Challenges with dinner reservations did not start until Saturday February 22 which was the day following the arrival of a very large "corporate" group of guests. On February 21 when we went to Guest Services to make our reservations for the rest of our trip, we were told that we had to wait until Saturday to make reservations for the following week. On Saturday at 10:00 a.m. we went to Guest Services to make our reservations and they told us that we couldn't make the reservations until noon so we went back down to the pool and then returned to Guest Services at noon. When we tried to make reservations for the rest of the week, the earliest we could get for any restaurant was 8:30 p.m. and when we asked why, they told us that it was because the "large group" had reserved all the early reservations in the restaurants. We couldn't understand how this could have happened that fast as we were at Guest Services for noon and they told us reservations couldn't be made until noon. Over the course of the next few days, we heard MANY guests complaining about not being able to get earlier dinner reservations because of the large group.

It was very clear to most people at the resort for the period February 21 to February 28 that the most important people at the resort were those belonging to the "large corporate group".

Ok, more about the restaurants. When you are staying at Grand Rose Hall, you have access to any of the restaurants at all three resorts. We did not know this the last time we were there but this time we took advantage of it. Here are our comments on the restaurants we ate at:

Kiniro - Japanese Restaurant at Grand Rose Hall: This was our favourite restaurant when we were at this resort three years ago but this time we noticed that things had gone down a little. The food is still good but the "show" is a little more rushed. We ate at this restaurant on three different occasions this trip. We had one person in our group with a seafood allergy and the restaurant staff were very accommodating with that allergy. We also noted that another person at our grill had a gluten intolerance and the restaurant staff were great accommodating for that as well. For dessert you have to try the Tempura Bananas with Hot Chocolate ... MMmmmmmmm

Es Palau - Gourmet Restaurant at Grand Rose Hall. We ate at this restaurant on two occasions this trip. The food was good but the service was very slow and again, the hot food was served on cold plates. We were disappointed with the desserts at this restaurant. The chocolate lava cake didn't ooze like you would expect, it was more like an undercooked chocolate cake.

Galleon - Surf and Turf Restaurant at Grand Rose Hall. None of us were impressed with this restaurant. The plates were cold and one of us had to send our steak back three times before it was cooked right. The half lobster tail was like saw dust.

Gourmet Restaurant next door at the Rose Hall Suites - this was an EXCEPTIONAL experience. Originally we had a reservation for the Mediterranean restaurant at the Suites but when we got there, the menu didn't really appeal to us so we asked about getting moved to the Gourmet restaurant. Raymond, the Manager of the Gourmet restaurant happily accommodated us and was our waiter. He was EXCEPTIONAL!!!!! The food in this restaurant was delicious. The cream of asparagus soup should not be missed!!! We sat down for dinner in this restaurant at 8:30 p.m. so we were one of the last groups in the restaurant. At the end of our meal, Raymond and Leon (one of the waiters) came over and did all kinds of little "tricks" at our table. It really made our night. BE SURE TO GO TO THIS RESTAURANT...YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

Aunt Ruby's Steakhouse - next door at the Rose Hall Suites. This restaurant is very comfortable and relaxed. We ate here on two different occasions this trip and we were never disappointed. The food is good and plentiful and the hot food was served on hot plates! The wait staff were pleasant and courteous and very helpful. The only drawback to Aunt Ruby's is the cat that was walking around through the restaurant. The "chef" in our group was so happy with his steak that he actually went back and tipped the chef.

Cornwall - Buffet Restaurant - Rose Hall Grand. We had breakfast in this restaurant every single morning of our stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. If we had any complaints about this restaurant it was the inconsistency of the coffee. The first three days it was absolutely perfect but after that, it became very bitter and no amount of sugar could take that away. The only other strange thing was the toaster. Some days it was there, some days it wasn't, some days it had racks and other days it didn't. The food for breakfast was plentiful, warm, good and satisfying. We did notice that while the chefs were great with omelettes, they were very challenged when it came to flipping eggs...they consistently broke the yolks.

Port Maria - Beach Restaurant - Rose Hall Grand. We had lunch at this restaurant on a daily basis. Special KUDOS to Simmonne in this restaurant who made me onion rings when they weren't on the line. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I hope someone makes note of this comment and rewards her. The food was consistent in this restaurant and the atmosphere was very nice. Lovely to be sitting and looking at the ocean and beach while you eat.

That's it for restaurants so lets move on to the rooms.

While both of our rooms were comfortable, they are certainly starting to show their age. Our room had a huge crack in the sink, the blow dryer didn't work unless you held the button, not all of the jets in the tub worked, the clock radio never worked. It told the time but that was it. (When we first arrived and saw that the alarm on the clock didn't work, we decided to make arrangements for a daily wake up call for 6:30 a.m.; however, we didn't get a call the first morning until 9:30 a.m. when they were calling to see if we had received our wake-up call. When we told them no, they assured us it would happen the next day. It didn't happen again the next day so we went down to Guest Services to ask them if they could arrange a daily 6:30 a.m. wake up call. We also explained to Kevin that the alarm on our clock wouldn't work so if he could either have the clock replaced or have a daily 6:30 a.m. wake up call set, we would really appreciate it. It didn't happen and eventually, my friend and I went back to Guest Services and waited while they made the call to the Operator to set the daily wake up call.) Back to the rooms, the bathroom areas were certainly showing their age. Our friends noticed darkened patches on the walls and the floors as did we. This might all sound picky, believe me, we're not being picky, these are just differences we noticed from our visit three years ago. The rooms have minibars that are stocked daily and there is a nightly turn down service as well.

Here's an interesting tidbit, the resort has a "Grand Journal" they put up every day with the weather and welcoming guests, etc. As I've previously stated, we were all returning guests but we were not listed under "Welcome Back". We were listed under "Congratulations" for our honeymoon but our friends were listed under "Welcome".

El Spa - we used the spa services on two separate occasions. One time we did "Couples Massages Under the Stars" and the second time we did couples 80 minutes massages. When you use the spa services you can use the therapeutic pools, saunas, etc. and that is a real treat. If we had any suggestions for the spa it would be that they consider providing a discount for any guests who are using the spa services more than once during a vacation.

Comments about staff: The staff at this resort are absolutely top notch and if we ever made the decision to return, that would be the reason why. The staff we dealt with were always friendly, welcoming, courteous and very helpful. At the pool bar we dealt mainly with O'Neil and Jerry but we also dealt with Sentilman, Racquel and Jodi-Kay. We have only good things to say about all of these individuals. They were friendly, respectful, courteous, helpful and real stars for the Iberostar Rose Hall Grand. We got to know a lot of the entertainment staff (Star Friends) but found that Stella was the most personable of all of them. She certainly made our stay very enjoyable. She always took time for the guests no matter what she was doing or where she was heading. She made you feel like you were the most important person there. We also have very positive comments to say about the Pool Concierge team. We wish we could remember the one young ladies name, she had longer hair and always had a smile on her face. She often came by wanting to help with sunscreen or towels and towards the end of our stay she came by asking for any feedback we might have. While the names we have provided are for specific staff members, we have only good things to say about all the staff.

The beach at the resort is good. It's not huge like it is in Negril but it's a nice beach that is well maintained. We were in the ocean every single day and we walked from the rock outcropping down to the pier every morning.

Usually most people want to know about the chaise lounges at any resort. At this resort, if you come down and put your towels or personal items on a chaise and do not stay with it, the security staff will come and take all the items away. You will be able to pick them up later at the Towel Hut. It seems that if you put your towels and personal items on the chaise and stay with them until 7:00 a.m. when the Towel Hut opens, the security staff will leave your items alone. We should also point out that the Towel Hut has a basket with sun screen products and the staff are more than willing to help you with applying it.

Stores - There are several stores located throughout the entire Iberostar family of resorts. You can pick up souvenirs, rum, coffee, jewellery, all kinds of things.

Bars - We have already mentioned the staff at the Pool Bar. As for the bar itself, it was always well stocked although there were a few mornings when they didn't have any fresh fruit. They always had a good supply of cold bottled water. There is also the Lobby Bar and our comments on this bar would be the same. We never used the Cigar Lounge so we have no comments on that.

Nightly Entertainment - The nightly entertainment is held in the Exodus Theatre. Last time we were at the resort we checked out a couple of the shows but this time we didn't make it. We find the entertainment is too late into the evening for us, especially after spending the full day outside soaking up the sun.

Internet Service - The resort has WiFi throughout but there were times when it was not reliable. Thing is, you're on vacation so why worry about the internet? The resort has an internet lounge with computers available for your use.

Other little things we noticed ... the female washrooms between the Japanese and Surf and Turf restaurants are really showing their age. There are three sinks in this washroom and only one of them works. The day we got there, we met some women who had been there for a week and they said they were broken the entire time they were there. We were there for 10 days and when we left, the sinks were still broken. Yes, they had been reported as not working but nothing had been done. We also noticed that the elevator in the main lobby that goes down to the pool area started making really loud noises.

We had two major disappointments with the resort, the first was the whole issue about our room upon check-in as we've explained above.

The second issue was the way things changed when a large corporate group checked in on February 21. This was not only a disappointment for us, it was a well known disappointment for most of the guests at this resort. Once the large corporate group checked in, everything became about them. Suddenly it was impossible to get an early dinner reservation but the large corporate group had all the early reservations booked. Any of the entertainment activities that took place centered around the large corporate group. It also appeared that the rules changed when the large corporate group arrived. An example of this was the requirement for me to wear long pants to the restaurants for dinner. We actually received a letter in our room confirming some of our dinner reservation times and in the letter it states "Please be advised that Long Pants and shirts with sleeves are mandatory for gentlemen. We had no issue with this requirement but when we went to dinner at the Gourmet Restaurant and the Japanese Restaurant at Grand Rose Hall, there were several gentlemen from the large corporate group that were in the restaurant wearing shorts. It was very disappointing to see that mandatory requirement waived so easily for this large group. What we learned from this experience is that before we ever make a reservation at another resort, we will find out if there are going to be any large corporate groups on the resort during our stay.

Several of the guests were talking around the pool on different days and we all had the same opinion. We thought the resort had made a huge mistake by falling all over themselves to service the large corporate group. Sure, they had reserved for a large number of people but the chances of them actually returning was slim to none. The people the resort needed to focus on were the individual couples who either had returned or would be more likely to return. I know it had a big impact on us.

We warned you from the beginning that this was going to be a long review but we really wanted to be fair in what we said. If you make the decision to vacation at the Iberostar Rose Hall Grand, you will likely have a good vacation so long as there are no large corporate groups. Will we return? Good question. We LOVE Jamaica and the staff at this resort really do make a big difference. We think we will have to let some time pass and try some different places before we head back to the Iberostar Rose Hall Grand.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank justjo008
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your views as it regards to your return trip to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. We would like to extend our deepest apology for the Issues you had with your check-in. We recognize that you were not happy with your room and this was disappointing to us, especially since you were on your second visit to this hotel.

We would like to explain that check-in is really at 3:00 p.m. – we understand that flights may arrive earlier and we always try to assist where possible to grant early check-ins. However, early check-in is always subject to the availability of the room. This check-in allows Room Service and Housekeeping to do routine duties. For persons, who know they will be arriving earlier, we invite them to email frontdesk.grand@iberostar.com.jm to advise the Front Office team your estimated time of arrival.

You have also mentioned that you had issues with obtaining restaurant reservations and had been disappointed with the quality of our food service. We regret these incidents and really wished that you had spoken with our Public Relations Manager, who would have personally ensured that she had addressed all your complaints by speaking with the relevant Department Managers. Our hotel takes pride in operating within prescribed food and beverage standards, so we were saddened to hear that you had not witnessed strict adherence to such standards, e.g. a warm plate for hot food. Please be assured that we will pass your concerns to our Food and Beverage Manager.

We invite you to call our hotel/ or email us at pr.grand@iberostar.com.jm and refer to this review as reference, as we would love to ensure that you think of returning in the future. Your visits are important to us and we sincerely regret any inconvenience that you encountered. It would have been a pleasure to welcome you back again and to ensure that you enjoyed our usual impeccable service, as it is obvious from the incidents you described that yours was not the typical experience of our guests. Our Management looks forward to being able to welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!