“A hotel worthy of more than 5 stars”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Pickering, Canada
“A hotel worthy of more than 5 stars”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

My wife and I are regular travellers to many parts of the Caribbean and this was our first trip to Jamaica, Montego Bay.We spent 12 days in February/March and were absolutely delighted that we chose the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall hotel. It's location, just a 20 minute drive from Montego Bay airport and the reception we received at this truly magnificent resort was first class. We had an ocean view room on the 4th floor and were impressed by it's layout and butler service provided. The extremely well landscaped grounds, swimming pools, beach facilities, restaurants, buffett and 4 speciality, and the unbeatable service from each and every one of the staff with whom we came into contact, earns our 5 plus rating.

Room Tip: Ocean view on the 4th floor in Building 5 is an excellent choice.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Edward252014
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your positive review on this website. Your recommendation of our hotel means a lot to us, as we are certain that it will prompt other prospective travellers to choose our hotel. Your comments about our convenient location, amenities and service will also go a far way to motivating our staff. Please come again soon as it would be our pleasure to be able to welcome you back.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,965)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Windsor, Ontario Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Sharon and I picked the Iberostar Grand because we heard great things about the resort and we had never been to Jamaica. The hotel did not disappoint! The staff is amazing, from the front desk to the cleaning staff, all were so happy to help make your vacations truly unforgettable.

I have to give a shout out to Ned at the beach restaurant, I asked him if they will be serving Jamaican patties and he said he didn’t know when, he then asked us if we were coming in for breakfast the next morning, we said yes, well he went into town and bought us patties from his favorite spot and had them heated up and waiting for us the when we got into the restaurant the next day. Superb service!!
Make sure to see Anthony at the pool bar and ask for his Trouble in Paradise drink, you will be hooked like I was. Chris in the main lobby bar makes awesome martinis, we were in there every day before dinner and he would just look up and give me a nod, next thing you know you had a couple martinis just the way you like them on your table. Great service!!

Go and talk to Errol in the cigar bar. Really nice guy and it is usually empty so the service is great and it is a nice place to chill for a couple hours with a stogie.

Thunda, Sam and Diamond (how U doin) are amazing people. They are all very talented in their own way and again, went beyond to make our stay great. It was really nice getting to know each of you!!

The food was terrific at all the restaurants, our favorite being the Surf and Turf. Had a porterhouse steak with a lobster tail, AWESOME! For Sharon’s birthday the maître d’ came over and sang happy birthday and the resort got us a nice bottle of wine for supper. Just little things like that helped make the stay unforgettable.

Yes, there are always some small stuff that either shouldn’t happen or should be changed but all in all this resort knows how to treat guests. I also see some of the reviews saying that while there the staff didn’t smile or they expected tips. Both are not true at all, not once did I think that the staff looked for tips or would have served us better or quicker because of a tip. Yes, we tip very well but that is just the way Sharon and I are, both worked in the service industry in our earlier years so we tip for good service. As for the smile, there was one person I seen not smiling when I walked up to them to get a drink, I stopped and gave him a huge smile, and guess what I got a huge smile back! The staff work long hours to serve their clients and just showing them that you appreciate them goes a long way.

We do not usually go to the same resorts twice but I would have no problem telling all my friends about the Iberostar in Montego Bay. I think Sharon and I will check out the other Grand properties in the future!

Room Tip: We had room 5325, great view of the Ocean!
3 Thank Chris_Sharon
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming review of our property. Your generous comments about our staff, service, food and Surf and Turf Restaurant will also serve to motivate our team. We hope that you will consider returning to this particular hotel. However, you can be assured that you will have an equally enjoyable visit, if you choose to visit other Iberostar Grand properties, We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The hotel is 5 star plus. Everything about it was perfection. The staff treated us like royalty. We went to the spa and got a couples massage...worth it! We used the jacuzzi bath every night. The room was beautiful and air worked great. We will get back again someday.

Room Tip: Pay to be on the upper floor beachfront. The night sky is worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall as your vacation destination. We appreciated your feedback on our hotel and services. We were also grateful to hear that you had made the time to visit the spa to partake in one of our many relaxing services. Please come again soon as we would love to host you in the near future.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Returned to the Iberostar Grand for the second time. Returned this time with additional family members and the holiday was excellent. The complete staff try to ensure your stay is what you would demand from a five star hotel. The service, food and entertainment where great, the front desk manager Jonay Guerra Montesdeoca went above and beyond to ensure each and every guest was looked after and happy with a hotel running at greater than 95 percent that can be very challenging. The hotel offered a level of service and quality we have grown to expect from five star hotels from around the world. Thanks again to Fritz from the steak house for showing the respect and service people deserve. Thanks to our Butler Darwin for attending to any and all needs that came up. The Lobby Bar tender Wes made excellent drinks as well as Sonia at the pool bar they both made you feel like a regular. Kevlin at the front door took care of all transportation very smoothly and attended to your bags like they where his own. Over all experience at the Hotel 100%.

Room Tip: nothing can beat the sight and sound of a ocean front room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shunggy
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. Our team was delighted to serve you a second time. We have noted your positive remarks about our service, food, entertainment and staff. It was heartening to see your warm recommendation of our staff. Our team tries to make sure that all our guests are given the very best in accommodation and personalized service. We also appreciated the fact that you made an effort to remember the names of those staff members who had left an indelible impression on you and your family members.

Our team looks forward to serving you and trust that you will not hesitate to return.

Lusk, Wyoming
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay. It was the best vacation of our lives! All of the staff was so helpful and friendly. We loved how we were treated like royalty! Our bell hop, butlers, and maids were very attentive to our needs, as was all the staff at the Iberostar. We were upgraded to an ocean view room, but it had two queen beds. The staff was very accommodating and moved us to an ocean view room with a king bed for the last two nights of our stay. The pool was great (and so was the pool bar)! The food was delicious, our favorite was the Surf & Turf restaurant. We have never had lobster that delicious. We will definitely be staying at an Iberostar again in the future!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank jamiemcelhaney
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your hearty recommendation of our property. We were ecstatic to learn that you had enjoyed your honeymoon/vacation stay. We were motivated to hear that our pool, food, and restaurants had met your discerning taste. It would be a privilege to be able to welcome you back, so we hope that you will not hesitate to return.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My wife and I just got back from a 4-night stay yesterday. Overall, a very good stay, but there are some things that could surely be improved here.

Property - Stunning, extremely well maintained - 5 stars

Activities/Entertainment - To our delight, there's always something going on. They have a great activity staff - they're very visible, very vocal, and overall, very fun. Yoga, ping pong, dance lessons, horseshoes, pool activities - you name it, they got it - and their activity staff does a great job coordinating and making everything fun - 5 stars (I'd give them six if I could). Nightly entertainment - every night, there's a show that starts at 9:45 and I was surprised because it is a really elaborate show that they put on. They have different themes each night - Reggae, Disco (Boogie Nights), Jamaican Roots, etc. They have some really talented singers and dancers and you could tell that they put some serious thought into it, with really complex choreography, live band, lighting, etc. - Cool thing is that since the Grand is directly connected to the other 2 Iberostar properties, you can go watch their shows too, which start at the same time. Almost every night, we started with the show at the Suites and then made our way over to the the show at the Grand (theatres are less than a 2 min walk from each other).

Food - Excellent - even as vegetarians (yes to dairy & eggs; no to chicken, seafood, meat), there were many options for us. We reserved a la carte dinners for the first couple of nights, but ended up at the buffets the last couple of nights and found them better for us since they had more variety. All food was excellent - and the chefs at the buffets were not only accommodating, but full of suggestions, given our dietary preferences. Overall, we liked the buffets much better than the a la cartes, where there didn't seem to be as much flexibility or accommodation for us being vegetarian, which was a little surprising. Despite this, I still give the Food 5 stars overall

Service - This is where it starts to get tricky. It was hit or miss, based on the person. Some gave you the feeling that they would bend over backwards for you and others just felt like they were counting the minutes til their shift was over.
Butlers - This was a big miss in my book - our guys were pretty much useless. Their answers to things were usually to go somewhere or to call someone else, which confused me, because I thought that was their job to figure things out and cater to my needs. Here's an example: We saw somewhere in our check-in process that there were scheduled yoga activities every day and we wanted to know if we needed to sign up for it in advance, where it was at, etc. When we asked our butler for more detail, he basically just said to go to the activity booth and they would give us the details there. I'm thinking in my head - I could have gotten the same information by calling the front desk, so why did I need him to tell me that? So Butlers get a 1 Star in my book (only because they got me the pillows that I wanted and kept my minibar stocked).
Wait Staff - Hit or miss, some were very accommodating and took interest in anticipating and serving us and others were just there do their job and go home - 3 stars.
Reception & Bus Boys - Awesome, 5 stars. They welcomed us warmly, made us put our bags down (literally), gave us a welcome drink (even made a special non-alcoholic one since my wife is pregnant), were genuinely interested in why we were there, and then upgraded us from ocean view to ocean front, which of course is a plus.

Room - We were in room 6222 (3rd floor from the bottom) - every room has a balcony, and since we were oceanfront, we had a great view. Could use a little updating, but overall no complaints - pretty clean. Bathroom was big with both standing shower and tub. They have 24 hour room service, which we used only once to get a couple of desserts, but took almost 45 min. 4 stars for the room

Overall, a very good resort. We have no frame of reference since this was our first time to Jamaica. Since I value service so highly and given the cost, I'd likely try Secrets or Sandals my next time there.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with either an Ocean View or an Ocean Front, but they key is to get a room on the...
5 Thank ServiceIsAMust
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review of our hotel. Your kindhearted comments about our property, amenities, and service will definitely serve to encourage our staff. Please be assured that we expect our Butlers and Waiters to be as helpful as possible, so your negative feedback on the service you had received from them was most disappointing. We will certainly be speaking with our Butlers and Waiters with a view to reminding them to be more consistent in the carrying out of their duties. We apologize for any inconvenience that was caused as a result of such sub-par service. We look forward to serving you again soon and assure you that we intend to make sure we exceed your expectations.

canada
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Spent a week in February at this fabulous resort. After staying at Sandals, Palladium, and Real resorts, Iberostar is the clear winner - I think we have found our brand loyalty now. The resort itself is beautiful, grounds are immaculate and the layout is great. Did not venture off the Grand side very much other than our daily walks up the beach as the other resorts just could not compare. The beach was beautiful with the most swimmable water we have encountered yet - spent about 4-5 hours each day floating in the ocean. This certainly cut into our usual swim-up-bar experience but loved it all the same as the beach service was great. I must say, we did enjoy the swim-up-bar also!! Drinks were always great. Staff at this resort are amazing. It is the first time we have felt that we "belonged" and for two 50-something sisters in another country, that is a big deal. Star friends even managed to engage us a couple times and we are generally watch-from-the-sidelines kinda people. This alone will be enough to bring us back. Loved the choices of restaurants and the two buffets. Food was generally tasty and fresh. The only disappointment was the desserts. Other than the wonderful cakes served around the pool, the desserts seemed to be rather well dressed and presented gelatinous and tasteless creations. Unfortunately, the cheesecake was of the same consistency. But, dessert is certainly not a deal breaker. Breakfast was always the very best.....this place knows its bacon :)
Our room was the nicest yet......having that huge balcony was such a bonus....loved being able to watch the pools, ocean and people. The only improvement I would make would be bar stools on the balcony so you could sit, have a drink and watch the world without having to peek through the railing. Anyway, thumbs up to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, you are now our resort of choice. Looking forward to our next vist!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank codysmomCanada
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your warm review of our property. We have noted your complimentary words about our beach, restaurants, food and Star Friends. It was a pleasure to hear that you felt comfortable at our hotel and had a memorable time with us. We regret that you did not enjoy our desserts. We look forward to your next visit and remind you to email us at pr.grand@iberostar.com.jm regarding any special requests you might have, prior to your arrival.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!