“Low expectations will make for a "not terrible" vacay here”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Low expectations will make for a "not terrible" vacay here”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We were at the Iberostar Rose Hall Grand for one week in March 2014. Let me first say that, ANY sunny Jamaican break from this past winter on the East Coast of the US is hard to complain about. BUT you are spending your good money, so you should know what to expect when you book.

There are lots of glowing reviews on TripAdvisor about this all-inclusive resort. You cannot go by these alone. It is really important to assess what they say they are offering from the standpoint of your personal level of expectations of a "5-Star" resort. From my perspective, this hotel is at best a 3 on a 0-10 scale.

The food in the international cuisine-themed restaurants (French, Japanese, Italian) is mostly ABYSMAL. Adding insult to injury, service in these dining rooms is inexplicably slow, with long waits to be seated, long waits to have orders taken, first courses served, and between courses....just bad. Of course, you can avoid this problem by going off-site to eat (as we did for several meals during our stay) but this doesn't make economic sense, if the point of purchasing an all-inclusive was to wrap lodging and food into one price.

Additionally, we are tennis players. When choosing a resort, we always pick a hotel that offers tennis courts or access to off-site tennis facilities. The tennis courts at Iberostar Rose Hall had GAPING holes in the fence surrounding them, raggedy nets, pocked playing surfaces, broken furniture courtside....generally, a MESS. For each of the days we were there, diffusers lined the dark hallways, burning (presumably) essential oils and emitting a very heavy "aromatherapy" odor/fragrance, seemingly to mask the smell of mildew that could be discerned underneath. "Butler Service" was apparently part of our package. The "butler" we were assigned, while friendly enough, was never able to carry out any of the requests we made of him--not even to deliver a wine key with which to open the complimentary bottle of wine the hotel had delivered to the room. In fact, he began his butler-spiel with an admonishment that although guests are forbidden to "reserve" pool- or beach-side chaises-longue, we should plan to go down by 7 am if we wanted to be sure to get one. Kind of a bad joke. The staff was very friendly, but their service delivery was hampered by a corporate culture that is unclear on the concept of true "5-Star" service.

While there is so much about this complex that is "Disneyland gone bad"--The art on the walls of the hotel were terrible reproductions of masterworks, repeating the same images every so many hundred feet of hallway. The entertainment venues were "seedy" in the sense that decorative curtains were hanging dejectedly from missing hooks, and seating fabrication was threadbare in spots--yet the young women who performed the role of concierge on each floor were excellent at their job. In fact, a complimentary round of golf that was part of our package (among the reasons we booked here) turned into 3 complimentary rounds, thanks to the concierge staff. Needless to say, this was a bright spot.

The easy access to the beach was also a real plus, the food in the breakfast buffet and grill area was fresh and satisfying, as was much of the lunch fare in the grill-type cafe near the pool and beach. Our room was very spacious, with ample closet space and a comfortable, modern bathroom. So, not a total loss!

There was lots to find objectionable, especially for the price. But at the end of the day, we were in Jamaica, watching the sun set every evening as the Caribbean Sea licked at our toes. How much can you complain under those circumstances?? Keep your expectations low, and you will be fine here. But be mindful that there are LOTS of other (better) options.

In the past we have been very satisfied with stays at Round Hill, Tryall, and in staffed private villas in Montego Bay. None of these is an all-inclusive accommodation, however. We thought we'd try the all-inclusive experience. After this experience at Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, I don't think we ever will again. Good luck to you!

10 Thank Daytripper56
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Comments from guests are an integral communication tool for our hotel, as they assist us in determining whether or not we are meeting the needs of our guests. To this end, it was disappointing to learn that we had not quite met your expectations. We would like to wholeheartedly apologize for any inconvenience and discomfort our hotel might have caused you. Please be assured that we have noted the areas of major discontentment for you, namely, our décor, food, butler service and service of our a la carte restaurants. Our Management will certainly be looking into these issues. It was unfortunate that we had not heard from you whilst you were in-house as our Management would have been able to make the attempt to rectify any problems you had been encountering.

We would have been excited at the chance to welcome you back as it would certainly give us the opportunity to make amends for the negative experience. Please feel free to email us at dir.grandrh@iberostar.com.jm with a copy of your review as we would love to find out how we could encourage you to return.

Online Reputation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,982)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We have been to Jamaica many times and the reason we keep coming back is the people. Out of all the places we have been Jamaica people are just the friendliest.

This trip that we took was for our best friends Wedding and it was a great experience. We usually stay on the Negril side (definitely more beach feel) but we really enjoyed Rose Hall/Montego Bay and all the Iberostar had to offer.

This place is amazing from the minute you step off your shuttle the staff was great. Janelle at the front desk was top notch and super friendly getting us checked in, it was a breeze. Then we were hooked up with Sylvester who was such a great person that brought our bags and us to our room! We had emailed ahead and requested a top floor room and a corner and we got exactly that, it was amazing! We were in room 5425 and would recommend it as we had beautiful views of the resort pool area and also the ocean and beach. Truly the best of all.

We did not see our butler the first day due to a meeting that they had but we were greeted by Tafari on Sunday Noontime. He was there and was able to iron my husbands clothes for the wedding on Sunday, and on Monday he drew us a bath that was beautiful. He truly was a great guy. As far as the rest of the trip we didn't see our butler, Tafari left for a holiday after Monday, but honestly we don't require much. We did have Rhenish help us out with some requests and he is amazing person. I can see why our friends enjoy him so much, so Thank you to Rhenish and to Tafari you both were wonderful!

The housekeeping staff and also the mini bar staff were all amazing. Our room was cleaned timely and always in great shape. You will never be out of or want for anything and if you ask they will deliver!

As far as the entertainment staff, we are relaxing beach people but we did meet some that we really like. Stella was a true standout and came to see us every day. Shortcake was also so great at helping the bride and myself do some tie dye shirts! They all are bundles of energy and work extremely hard!

As far as the restaurants we did get to try all except we never did the buffet for dinner. I would rank them in order.

Surf and Turf was our absolute favorite and Elvis was a great waiter. We ate there on our first night and last night and wish him the best in his new adventure to Michigan! The Lobster and Filet were very good, and service was exceptional.

Japanese Restaurant was very good food and we did sit a hibachi and it was exceptional service. Our Chef was just learning and she did a great job.. It was nice to sit at a table of 6 with our friends and enjoy it!

Gourmet Restaurant - This was a little disappointing for us. Service was not as good, after two amazing experiences they did have a lot to live up too. Food was okay and service was not nearly as good. We would skip this one next time.

Mexican at the Suites - This was where the wedding dinner was and also we dined there with friends on another night. Leon was a great server and even did a cute trick for us and they sang and overall enjoyed themselves. The little (I use this work lightly) buffet they have prior to your meal is a meal! Great food for sure and the wedding dinner was amazing - Kudos to the staff for a great job!

For breakfast and lunch we did the buffet and was always good, many choices and great staff. A stand out to me was Alecia, lunch Pasta cook, she was so super friendly and cooked me a nice dish twice while there ;) They had Eggs to order, Waffles, Fresh Fruit, Mimosas and all the regular things you see.

Room Service - We only ordered for coffee in the morning but all I can say is Timely! The resort was full and they still never missed a beat. Plus if you want earlier than what is on the card just write the time on the slip and they accommodated both times. We played golf early and the day we left too.

The grounds, pools, and entire resort is all clean and you will not find a thing out of place. Unless of course you seriously are trying to find something. People that try to find something here are truly not trying to enjoy their vacation.

We did do the Golfing at Cinnamon Hill and it was a lot of fun, loved it. Didn't care too much about the golf just enjoyed the course and view!

Every day we got chairs at the beach, not a problem, the palapas do go quickly and it is frustrating to see people save them and not be there. That however is not the resorts fault and they do the best to control it. We are beach people so spent limited time in the pools. The swimming area in front of the Grand is exceptional! No rocks and smooth and not a lot of kelp or anything. In front of the Suites there is a lot of little rocks... Our amazing Beach Server was Kannisha and what a sweetheart! A big hug when we left, and she greeted me every morning! If you see her please treat her well she is a hard worker!

At the pool bar all the servers are exceptional, you literally get a drink in seconds flat! Of course there is a stand out and that would be Oneil - What a great guy! Please don't forget to have a Jamaica Smile courtesy of him, he does truly make the best!! And one other bartender stand out was our friend Andreas at the Lobby bar - We would finish every evening with his smile and a nice cocktail!

And for the wedding that was at the suites, they did do a great job! Our friends will have a lasting memory - And I am sure they will post in their review about the wedding :)

If you are thinking of booking this hotel, I would recommend it and wouldn't hesitate! The staff and overall experience was wonderful. Thank you to Iberostar Grand for making our vacation so wonderful and also our best friends wedding!

Any questions don't hesitate to contact us!

Room Tip: Get an upper floor for an amazing view - We were in 5425 and request it - you won't regret it.
2 Thank BeachLvr_VT6
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review of our hotel. We were grateful to get your positive comments about our Butlers, Housekeeping staff, Entertainment staff and Waiters. Such comments go a far way in encouraging our team as we strive to meet the needs of our guests. It was rewarding to learn that you were also very happy with our scenic room views. We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will not hesitate to book your next vacation with us.

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Went to the resort for a destination wedding stayed 3 nights and the service every single minute of my stay was excellent, all inclusive was an understatement 24hr service they went above and beyond every time, not to mention how beautiful the scenery was

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ANTHONY H
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review. We appreciate the fact that you took the time on your return home to recommend our hotel to other prospective guests. Our team would be delighted to have the opportunity to serve you again and hope that you will call on us when next you are considering a Caribbean get-away.

American Fork, Utah
Reviewed 13 April 2014

First let me say I had a blast on vacation, this year vacation for me was in March versus July or August. We stayed at the Iberostar Grand hotel in Montego Bay Jamaica and it was nothing short of what I expected. This was a return trip for me and it have been about 3 years, I was greeted by William my skycap who remembered me and yes we connected. At the check in counter I was also welcomed again by Jonay Guerra one of the front dest managers at the hotel. We got a welcome drink which is pretty standard and then went to our room. What Jonay did was look up my last stay and guess what, he gave us the same room I stayed in the last time I was at the hotel and I had a huge smile on my face.

Dinner was great every night we went to a different place to eat, if you stay in the Grand you can eat at any restaurant in the 3 hotel. Sorry , did I mentioned 3 hotel, yes 3. I had breakfast in my room on the balcony every morning for the remaining 5 days and it was on schedule between 0900 and 9915. My assign butler was fantastic, he answered every question I had and ensured me that breakfast will be just the way I like it.

My room was immaculate, it was clean from the moment we got into the room until we checked out on our last day. Our house keeper made sure we were satisfied with the room condition daily and she was very good to us. Our room included a balcony with a great sea view, I took pictures of several cruise ships passing by during the day and night. We even saw a night show during one evening after dinner.

As mentioned the hotel. Insist of 3 hotels, the Grand is strictly for adults and the entertainment is design for adults. We were entertained the entire stay, during the day I did some free style swimming and snorkeling. I also took advantage of kayaking, sailing and windsurfing which was fun for me. At night we got us several cocktails and then check out the show then back to the bar for a night cap. The bartender was great he remembered me Nd took great care of me and yes he also welcomed me back.

Here is the only negative I have, they have a new restaurant called the Jamaican but they only have two dish which was considered Jamaican dishes. What I expected was some different variety of Jamaican dishes to choose from and I was very disappointed. I hope on my next. Is it if will see some change to reflect more Jamaican dishes and yes I will return.

My rating for this hotel is a 9.5 out of 10 and yes you guess it I took points away for the restaurant not having enough Jamaican dishes. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning on visiting Jamaica. Great job to the staff and managers, oh please excuse me but I much mention internet. I use I phone and iPad daily on the beach, yes I did say the beach. Wireless on the beach and through the hotel and if you are staying at the Grand it is absolutely free.

Room Tip: Beach view is great
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank g_lattie
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We were pleased to hear that your room, various on-property activities, and butler service had met your discerning taste. Please be assured that we have noted your comments about the Jamaican Restaurant and will certainly pass them on to the Executive Chef. We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will continue to tell your friends and family about our hotel.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My wife and I visited this resort 2 years ago for our 25th anniversary, and enjoyed it so much that we decided to come back for her 50th birthday in early April this year for 10 days. All the things we loved about this place the first time, are still there - the hotel and rooms are lovely, the grounds are kept very clean, the beach is great, the pools are gorgeous, yet arranged in a way that still feels intimate, and the food is excellent. Food is really important for us when we travel, and was one of the reasons we had no hesitation to come back here. We enjoyed each of the a la carte restaurants (some more than once), as well as the buffet for 4 dinners, and the room service for breakfast one morning. Most mornings we ate breakfast at the buffet by the beach - almost as much selection as the regular breakfast buffet, but with an amazing view of the beach and sea. I am a pretty slim fellow, but gained 15 pounds during the 10 days we were there - the food is that good and there is always plenty of it! In spite of all those positive attributes, I have not yet mentioned the one which in my view really puts this place head and shoulders above the competition - it's the people who work there. They are so friendly and truly care about making your vacation the best it can be. From the warm greeting we were given at check-in (including a room upgrade due to my wife's birthday), to the welcome back greetings we were given by some of the food servers, drink servers, Star Friends and bartenders, we were quickly reminded how friendly everyone is here. Considering the thousands of patrons that come through this resort every year, that they would remember us from a 9 day stay 2 years previously, was unbelievable. It made us feel right at home starting from the first hour. There are so many of them that deserve mention, that I'm sure I have forgotten some. But here are at least some of the people we want to specifically thank - Sonia, you took such good care of us by the pool and on the beach. You are a such a hard worker and your smile lights up everyone's heart! You have truly become our friend. Others at the pool who took such good care of as well were Raquel, and Jordian - thanks for your great drink suggestions and always stopping to ask us how we were doing. Danielle - it was great to see you and your brilliant smile again. You are still working your magic in the kitchen. Natalie and Anthony - you two make the best beach barbecues in Jamaica. The jerk chicken, pork and beef are spectacular and the barbecued prawns are mouthwatering! And I really enjoy your 4:00 pm treats from the trolley as you around the pool. Jerry, thanks for being the best bartender! You welcomed us back with your great smile, and you always had a great drink ready for us, whether it was your spicy Bloody Marys, Blue Hawaiians, Miami Vice, frozen Mojitos, Dirty Bananas, Bob Marleys, Mai Tais, Sex on the Beach or "Jerry's Special". And we have to thank all our Star Friends, especially Stella, Patty Shortcakes,Bubbles, Mr. Neat, Mr. Fresh, Mickey Blue Eyes, and KeKe (you are the greatest emcee for these events - you have just the right amount of sassiness!) Our butlers (Kevin and Deniston) were also great - lots of special attention and always checking in on us. Thanks again to all our friends at the Grand Rose Hall - you gave us a great vacation. I know we will be back - Ruth and Rick

2 Thank Rick P
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. It was kind of you to single out those staff members who had made your trip extra special. Our team was encouraged by your positive remarks about our food, service of our staff, and appearance of our property. Such comments are rewarding to our hardworking team. We look forward to welcoming you on your third visit and hope that you will continue to make our hotel a regular part of your future vacation plans

Hilliards
Reviewed 13 April 2014

It was a beautiful resort and everyone who worked there was so nice, friendly and helpful. We just thought the entertainment at night could have been better. There were plenty of lounge chairs at the pool and beach so it was not hard to find one. We were very satisfied and would definitely go back!!

Room Tip: We booked our trip through Apple vacations and we got a beautiful big room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda B
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous review of our hotel. Your informative comments about our friendly staff and availability of pool/beach chairs was very helpful in assessing our service. We do listen to the comments of guests as such feedback serve as guidance in making improvements. To this end, we apologize for your disappointment with the nightly shows. Please feel free to email any suggestions you have regarding our entertainment to: entertainmentmgrgrand@iberostar.com.jm

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will come again soon.

Wayland, Michigan
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We were at the grand March 20- 24. We are lucky to get to travel a lot, mostly in the Caribbean and this is one of my favorite resorts. We absolutely love the place!! The food was excellent with four options for dinner along with the buffet restaurant. The staff is amazing, very friendly and helpful with whatever you need. Also the rooms are very modern and spacious and comfortable. The beach is nice as well. Not very long however that's normal for montego bay and it was kept very clean. They had beach waiters as well so if you didn't want to go get your own drinks they would bring them to you. Thanks to Cathy at Breton Travel for yet another great recommendation.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mbanny
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your pleasant review of our property. We were grateful to have been able to host you on your recent Caribbean vacation. Your comments about our food, staff, rooms and beach were very motivating. Our team aspires to provide a relaxing and hassle-free vacation for all our special guests, so hearing that you had a flawless stay, means we are meeting our goals. We look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel and hope that you will continue to think of us as your “home away from home”

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!