“unforgettable vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
“unforgettable vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We just got back from an amazing 5 nights in Iberostar Grand. we had an ocean front room on the 4th floor. Everything met our expectation and more. the food, the shows,the entertainment and the service was all amazing!! we loved the infinty pool. it is really a big plus. make reservation in the restaurants as soon as you check in. They are all good but the Surf and turf and the Japanese were our favorite. the stuff were amazing and I disagree with some reviewers that they all expect some tips,which is actually very okay since they work so hard and go beyond to make your stay exceptional . i was very happy tipping some of them and didn't feel that they were all expecting it . the beach is nice but not like Turks and Caicos or trunk bay in st Jhon. overall the trip was amazing and i would go back without any doubt .

6 Thank miranda1994
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent visit. We appreciated the fact that you have taken the time to comment on the quality of our food, entertainment, service and staff, for the benefit of other prospective travelers. Such reviews also go a far way to motivate our team. We look forward to seeing you again soon and hope that you will choose the IBEROSTAR Grand Rose Hall when next you are visiting the Caribbean.

Online Reputation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,927)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from an 11 day break at the iberostar grand hotel. Originally we were booked for the suites. I emailed them before we travelled requesting reservations for our anneversary. On check in they informed us we had been upgraded to the grand. Even though the suited looked stunning.
The service, food and entertainment far surpassed anything we expected. I've already recommended the hotel/ suited to all friends and family. Don't listen to poor reviewes... If there even any.
Enjoy your holiday there... The staff will certainly do everything they can to ensure you do!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

7 Thank Bowiedawg
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review of our hotel. We were happy to hear that our service, food and entertainment had met all your expectations. Our team aspires to provide each guest with a positively memorable stay. It is our hope that you will continue to recommend the IBEROSTAR Grand Rose Hall to your friends and family. We look forward to your return and trust that you will not hesitate to book our hotel for your next vacation

Hatboro, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife and I had a pleasant 5 night stay at this property but that would be true at many other resorts. This location was chosen specifically based upon the preponderance of strong reviews on Trip Advisor and its rating as the #2 luxury resort, so the expectations were very high. I was sure that at least we would not have a terrible experience and that was the case.

This review will be a little longer than usual to address the items that I found lacking but I will try not to wander too much. Overall service was good. The hotel itself is a very impressive edifice. The two story lobby is unlike most places I have visited in the Caribbean. Food was generally good and the overall rating is higher than generally warranted based upon the outstanding performance of the Surf & Turf and the Japanese Restaurants. Even allowing for regional differences they could benefit from a good pastry chef. Desserts such as tiramisu and sweet potato pudding were good but the pastry was not good. The gourmet restaurant was a disappointment. It is hard to believe on an island but the Sea Bass and the Hake seemed to have been frozen, based upon the water content, taste and texture.

High compliments go to the Star Friends entertainment staff, especially Mr. Fresh, and the Ladies Shortcake and Bubbles! Their high energy, friendliness and genuine concern for the guests is phenomenal. Beds were comfortable and the bartenders poured high end liquor, such as Grey Goose and Belvedere.

Because we visited in the summer (off-season) we did not have a problem getting a chaise lounge or a palapa, as described by some other guests. Wait staff were okay around the pool but not so much on the beach. Tipping here would result in a more appropriate level of service.

Here's where it gets complex and may depend upon your attitude toward tipping at an All Inclusive. There is a very, very high expectation among the staff that they receive tips for even the most ordinary performance of their duties. They tend to linger awkwardly a little longer than necessary and are quick to let you know if they will be taking the next day off so that you can tip them if you feel the urge, such as the omelet chef that I didn't even know.

A brief anecdote may help to provide some insight into tipping and the butler. We met our morning butler Stanley shortly after we checked in to our room. He provided a brief orientation about the room and the property. I asked him to make reservations at three specific restaurants and left the fourth to his discretion, gave him some preferences regarding the mini bar and asked him to take care of two other details. He called a bit later and was able to make reservations at two of the restaurants and sent a couple of mini bottles of wine to the room. We did not hear from him for the rest of our stay until the night before we were to depart (presumably to get a tip). I pointed out that he had not corrected the details I asked him to address the first day. In addition, I showed him that the mini-bar had not been replenished for at least two days and we did not have any water. He left but did not take care of the mini bar or anything else. I had called him several (5) times after that first day but was never able to get hold of him. There was no answer. I did visit guest services the second day and was able to get reservations to all of the restaurants I wanted. My conclusion, based upon this experience is that the "butler" is nothing more than a gimmick. A competent concierge at a decent hotel would be more useful.

As much as I didn't care for this culture of people expecting tips and without getting into a philosophical discussion I was late to the game but ended putting out a decent amount of cash. I guess I didn't put out a generous enough amount early enough in my stay because it took over an 1 1/2 hours to get a bottle of wine from room service.

At check-in we were told that we were receiving an upgrade. This was nice to hear but I am not sure it was accurate. We received the same Junior Deluxe Ocean View Suite that we booked, unless they just put us on a higher floor (3rd of 4). I did hear that the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites were overbooked and that they were receiving upgrades to the Grand because it had a great deal of availability. But the room was fine. The television was relatively small (32") given the viewing distance and the signal was not very strong, cutting in and out. WiFi was available at no extra charge but was not high speed. It would load web pages but was a little slow.

Although the bartenders pour top shelf liquor the mini bar was not up to that same standard in either quality or selection. A far better selection is offered by Club Excellence for a much smaller price tag. In addition, the mini bar was not restocked on a regular basis.

The water sports center, administered by Dressel Divers, serves multiple properties and is very busy. They are open 9-12 and 1-4. As is true with most of these concerns they try to upsell their excursions. I was disappointed one day when there was a long waiting list for kayaks, (I wasn't on it), and they would not pull out the kayaks they had in reserve in the back. In addition, they tried to discourage use of the catamarans and sailboards, unless you want to take a lesson for $45 an hour/per person.

Small things that did not have much impact on the experience but should not exist at a 5 star property are noted below. There are three urinals in the men's room at the pool but only one was operational. One had been removed and the other was out of order for the 6 days I was there.

The interior door in our room did not shut. it was warped so that it did not fit into the door frame. I realize that there is a great deal of humidity but doors should at least be able to close.

Room Tip: Choose an upper, preferably top floor. Almost all are ocean view but go for Ocean FRONT.
10 Thank Len37
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your descriptive review, which will prove to be very helpful in further analyzing our service. Though we were grateful to hear that your stay was general pleasant, we regret that we had not met your total satisfaction. We apologize if you felt “pressured” for tips and will certainly remind our staff that such behavior is unacceptable. Our Management sincerely regrets that you had to suffer such discomfort on your vacation.

Please be assured that we will also pass on your comments regarding your unsatisfactory Butler service to the relevant Manager, so she can ensure our Butlers are reminded of the expectations of our guests. However, the mini-bar is actually stocked by the Room Service personnel, so a phone call to that Department would also suffice. Messages or requests for your Butler, may also be given to the Concierge. We are truly sorry about this miscommunication.

Your kind comments, about our friendly entertainment staff and exceptional quality of the cuisine at the Surf and Turf and Japanese restaurant, will serve to motivate our team.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Absolutely spectacular vacation! Went last month with friends and can't say enough about this place. The guest service is remarkable and not one thing was amiss here. Makes you feel like you're in another world. Already plan on going back next year.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank flynnfamily4
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review. Your comments about our phenomenal customer service was very rewarding. Our Staff works exceptionally hard to ensure that we are serving the needs of all of our guests. So it is always even more meaningful to our team, when our guests acknowledge their efforts. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from a stay at the Iberostar Grand and wow-it was absolutely amazing! In all I think there were about 30 of our friends and family staying at Grand, and the rest stayed at Suites (child friendly). We had 2 friends that were staying at Suites (without children) and we asked about upgrading them to the Grand. We mentioned they were a part of our wedding and after a few minutes were told they could be upgraded for free! I couldn't stop smiling; it definitely set the mood for great service and treatment throughout the trip. We got married at the Iberostar Beach Hotel, so I will write the wedding review (also excellent!) under that hotel.

The Hotel/Rooms:
First of all, it is a very short trip from the airport. After a day of traveling, that was very welcome! We have been to resorts in Jamaica before, and the Grand feels more like a hotel. It is less focused on the beach being a part of everything. It is fully air conditioned, has a gorgeous staircase and rooms, and wonderful bars/restaurants. There are butlers for each floor so if you have any requests they are happy to get you pretty much anything. We requested champagne for the morning of our wedding. We also asked for refills on certain mini bar items and never were disappointed. One thing that I really liked was that there were little bags of chips in the rooms. It might sound silly when you are at an all-inclusive resort, but sometimes you don't want to order room service for a small snack. We were a bit unsure about staying at the Grand and getting married at the Beach, but it was honestly not a problem. The night of our wedding our room was all done up with a bubble bath, flowers, candles, towel swans, a bottle of champagne--a lovely sight to return to!

The Bars/Restaurants:
The day after we arrived lunch was a BBQ on the beach. It was FANTASTIC! Jerk chicken, jerk pork, grilled lobster, all sorts of salads, veggies--everyone we were with was extraordinarily happy with the food options. The buffets were tasty as well. We were busy with wedding things and the rehearsal so we didn't have a chance to try out the specialty restaurants but some of our guests did and had nothing but good things to say. We ordered room service a few times and it was delivered quickly. The only issue we had was one morning our breakfast didn't arrive. We mentioned it to one of the butlers and he seemed legitimately concerned. We weren't even upset about it--we just went to the buffet instead and had made to order omelets--but his genuine concern definitely said a lot about the service. It truly seemed like everyone wanted to make your stay the best. He offered to take our breakfast order for tomorrow right then so he could be sure it was delivered!
Our favorite hang out spots became the lobby bar in the evening, and the pool bar during the day. Dwayne and O'Neil were usually at the lobby bar, and they were fantastic! Even when our whole group bombarded them at once, they were happy to get us anything we asked for. They even remembered that we were getting married, and congratulated us! The pool bar was another great place to hang out--it doesn't get much better than swimming up to order your drink! The pools also had activities going on every day. The Star Friends come around (Thunder and Bubbles were especially great!), chat and gather up people who want to do water aerobics, pool volleyball, beach volleyball--all kinds of fun activities.

The Spa:
We had a couples massage that was nice. Neither of us are huge on massages but we figured we would give it a shot. We left feeling relaxed. I also had my hair and make up done for the wedding. The day before the wedding I had a hair trial and then she took it down and did something else so nobody would see my wedding hair. I thought that was a nice touch--I didn't expect it. I really didn't have any specific requests for either my hair or makeup so I just said to do whatever they thought would look good, and I was definitely happy with the outcome--the ladies here are awesome!

All in all, our stay at the Grand was magnificent. I highly recommend it--many of our families and friends are already talking about going back!

5 Thank Margaret B
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your informative review. We are grateful that you had opted to stay at the IBEROSTAR Grand Rose Hall. It was also an honor for The IBEROSTAR team to have been able to assist in the planning and execution of your wedding. Your positive compliments of our rooms, bars, restaurants, special amenities and service was also very motivating to our Management and Staff.

It is our sincere hope that you will consider returning to our hotel on the occasion of your one (1) year wedding anniversary trip or/ vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I very rarely get a chance to go away since we have 4 kids, so this was a big deal for us!
Staying at IBEROSTAR GRAND was amazing! They are all super friendly and go beyond what you would expect... they pamper you like you were the king and queen... what we never expected was, you have your own BUTLER!!!! not that we knew what we would need him for but they are always available and were kind and made sure you were treated like VIP. Everything was included in the price including the water sports like snorkling and paddle boats etc. The food is AMAZING! Did I mention you have your own BUTLER lol... sorry I just can't get over that. Our butler's name was Hakim. he did a fabulous job. OH and one of the great things about this hotel is its only 15 min away from the airport... there is no 2 hour bus ride like Negril or Ocho Rios...the resort was fanatastic. for ADULTS ONLY. it has 3 hotels together, beaches which was their first, Suites which was there second and GRAND which is for ADULTS ONLY and were were the only ones that could visit the other hotels, the other 2 hotels were not allowed at the GRAND to keep it only an adult area. However if you stay at the GRAND, you are able to visit the other properties attached to the hotel. All I have to say is AMAZING and will definitely go back! with and without kids!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

3 Thank lavishcupcake
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your cordial review of our hotel. It was motivating to see your generous compliments about our property. Your high praises of our professional Butlers, delicious food and Adults-Only ambience will serve to further inspire each team member.

It is our goal here at the IBEROSTAR Grand Rose Hall to ensure that each guest is treated to a uniquely memorable vacation. From your positive words, it is obvious that we have done just that. Please come again soon as we would love to be able to show you other aspects of our service and will strive to exceed your expectations even further.

Edison, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great service at hotel by all employees there. We had two Butlers Shane and Keen that wre great. Any issue or question is taken care of immediately. Large Bedroom, Very large bathroom with jacuzzie, 2 sinks and a shower separate. Large out door balcony and nice size living room quarters with fridge.

Food was solid though only liked buffet and surf/turf restaurant. Buffet did have filet mignon and good choices. All you can eat/drink and large menue options overall. Italian did not seem like Italianto us but I thnk this is best of the hotels we have stayed at. Nice, clean property and they even gave us a wonderful anniversary surprise.

I say it is 5 star, best all inclusive you can do.

Only negative might be beach that does not have reef for snorkeling and seems like a lot of seaweed/stones in /on sand and in water.

Room Tip: Try to get upper floor for view of ocean if available.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review of our hotel. Your positive feedback of our Butler service, beautifully appointed rooms, and delicious food will serve to encourage our hardworking team. Please note we have noted your comments about the presence of seaweed and stones on the beach and will certainly look into this matter further. It is after all, our aim to make sure that each guest is as comfortable as possible. We apologize if this affected your overall stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope that you will not hesitate to return in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,985 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!