“Best Trip Ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
“Best Trip Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

This was by far the best vacation we have ever had. The grounds are well maintained. The people who work here are the nicest and friendliest people. It's like they are never having a bad day. They are so accommodating. No matter what you want or need they are willing to go above and beyond to keep you happy.
We got married while we were there and it was very private ceremony on the beach. Syrecka was the absolute BEST!!! She made everything go smoothly.
We will definitely be going back for our anniversary.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Nsal22
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for having chosen the IBEROSTAR Grand Rose Hall for your recent vacation. Your comments, about our well-maintained grounds, friendly staff and efficient wedding coordinator, were very invigorating to our team. It was our esteemed privilege to have been able to assist in the planning and hosting of your wedding – so we sincerely hope that you will not hesitate to return. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Online Reputation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,820)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

The BEST vacation ever. The views are wonderful, the hotel is clean, beautiful, and air conditioned well. But most importantly, the people were absolutely amazing. Room service was fast and friendly, bartenders were attentive and fun, and the star friends were sooo friendly and truly became my really great friends (I cried when I left!). Please go here, it so worth it!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Loreana D
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming feedback. Your kind comments about our beautifully appointed hotel, overall cleanliness and friendly staff will also serve to encourage other prospective travelers to visit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and hope that you will continue to think of uthe IBEROSTAR Grand Rose Hall as your “home away from home”.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

By far the best vacation ever. Why? The entertainment crew made my stay so memorable. They were fun and were down to earth and made my vacation ten times more enjoyable. The resort was beautiful and the people were all so nice.
My room was absolutely incredible and the beach? To die for.
If you go to the iberostar grand in Jamaica...be prepared to be upset when you come back home. I never wanted to leave. I can't stop talking about how I had such a great time. Love my entertainment crew !

• Stayed August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Marinadavii
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your delightful review. Your high praises of all aspects of our hotel, rooms, entertainment staff and staff in general was motivating. We hope that when planning your next Caribbean vacation, the IBEROSTAR Grand Rose Hall will be foremost on your mind. We look forward to being able to offer another fantastic vacation in the future.

Maywood,New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

This review is long overdue..I always read the reviews here to help us make our decision on where to go next. The problem is we love this resort. It is still amazing but everyone is loving it and the prices keep going up and up and soon will not be affordable to the average person.
The staff is the best part of this resort. Friendly, Happy, smiley....just a pleasure to deal with. Of course you will always find one that is having a bad day .
We have been here now tree times and brought our adult kids with us. had a blast and love the "star friends". They make your day.
Restaurants are all good, some better than others. just depends on your taste. Loved the gourmet with Andrew as our waiter, the surf and turf was good as we went back two times there. Did not go to the Asian but did try the new Jamaican one nite.
A special thanks you to Santos, Moses and Oscar...Management is always visable and approachable. Barrington, what a class act he is...Just warm and such a gentleman....Loved the Butlers, bar staff and bell hops. Just can not remember all of your names...Special love to "Our Jamaican Daughters" JoDan and Michele. We will be back to see you all again soon...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JudyS821
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your cordial review. It is always a pleasure to see feedback from our previous guests. Such comments assist us in evaluating and improving the quality of our service. It was encouraging to hear that you continue to enjoy all your family vacations here. We were ecstatic to see your positive words about our cuisine, management team, front office staff, public relations staff and bar staff. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

This resort is the best. The food, the drinks, the decor, the wonderful staff. We had the best time on the pool daily. The activities staff is one of a kind. We made use of the butler service and our butler leon is such a sweet and professional man. We shall be back next year. Check out the daily treats on the pool each day. This place is turnt up.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank matteroftheart
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review of our hotel. Your warm commendation of our food, drinks, décor and staff was very encouraging. Our team works tirelessly for the overall satisfaction of our guests, so the fact that you recognized their efforts was very rewarding. We look forward to serving you again and hope that you will not hesitate to book the IBEROSTAR Grand Rose Hall for your next vacation.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is based from a March 21st through March 26th 2014 stay. I have tried over three different contact emails to get in touch with someone from Iberostar with no success. I did speak with a manager while staying there and never heard from her as well.
Below you will find my letter. Don't forget to check out my photos documenting the HUGE lack of cleanliness in our room!

March 31, 2014
Dear Management,
Unfortunately I have to start off this letter by letting you know that my fiancé and I were very disappointed and dissatisfied with our stay at your resort. We have not been on a vacation in over four years. Getting time off of school and work was not an easy task for my fiancé and I.
We had been working with a travel agent for destination wedding planning since January 2013 and decided that it would be best for us to vacation at a possible wedding venue first as to be able to see the grounds, meet the staff and wedding coordinator and so on. Please note; I have traveled to many places and stayed in many well managed and cared for resorts. Europe, Australia and all over the U.S. to name a few. I have not visited the Caribbean however, and with a tropical destination wedding in the midst's it seemed like a perfect time to visit the lovely island of Jamaica. Needless to say, we expected nothing short of a fantastic experience for the costly amount we paid to stay at the "Five Star" Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. With that said I would like to tell you about my full experience while staying at The Grand.
Upon arrival we were greeted with cool towels and made our way through a musty smelling lobby to the concierge where they informed us that our room was not ready. Disappointed as we requested an early check in but, understanding, we received our wrist bands and a sad-non descript map of the resort and were told to come back in a hour and a half. Where to go? What to do? Concierge gave no information further. This is certainly not how a "Five Star" resort greets and makes a first and lasting impression on a guest. I asked about where we could have lunch while we waited and was told the buffet opened at noon. Our first meal was not impressive for a "Five Star" resort, even a buffet. I will compare it to sub-par New York diner food. We ate mostly eggs, yogurt and salad during our stay.
When we entered our room the floors were still wet from housekeeping. The room itself was very dark and smelled of must, mold and identifiable stale cigarette smoke. A short while later a butler came in to greet us. He had told us that he was not our butler and was only here to greet us until the evening butler came in to relieve him. We asked him some questions which he did answer. We requested some extra beer and water in the fridge as well. He was not very informative otherwise. Gave no suggestions on dining or places to visit throughout the large resort. We should have been informed of :
• alla-carte dining restaurants and reservation policies
• water sport center on the other side of the resort
• free shuttle to the Rose Hall Shops
• evening entertainment and events
• where to find the bars throughout the resort
and so on. All of which we learned about throughout our stay, ON OUR OWN and some even the last day.
No one except my travel agent seems to know about anything regarding the "Romantic Dinner For Two On The Beach", which we had a physical voucher for in our travel guide provided by AMEX Travel. I came down into the guest services room (one of my many trips) and inquired. First the young lady looked into the system and said she had no record of it. Then she said it is typically not done on the beach but in the room on the terrace. Then she said the wedding coordinator had to approve it. Then she said she was unable to tell me if any night was available to do it. Then she said the wedding coordinator was not in and would contact me regarding the matter and scheduling a date. She said that it looked like the only date available was the last night we were there, MAYBE. Never heard from the wedding coordinator or butler or the young lady regarding the matter.

Your pool and beach areas just to name a few issues:
1. Unless you got up at 6:45 and walked down to the beach to get a lounger in the shade. You wouldn't get one for the day. For a resort knowingly booked "at capacity" there should be enough loungers for all guests. When we did happen to get a lounger in the shade it was broken and couldn't sit upright!
2. Broken glass throughout the beach area. I was picking up shards of glass everyday! My NY beaches are cleaner than your Grand beaches!
3. The same music played on repeat for the first four days of our stay. About five songs... repeat! Or there was none playing at all.
4. Many poolside drinks were unavailable throughout our stay. i.e.: they ran out of ingredients to make them.
5. One early evening my fiancé demanded I get out of the pool immediately. He explained that they had set up a huge blue spot light for an event after pool hours (it was 5:30) but had plugged it in and placed it two feet from the pool I was swimming in. Extremely dangerous and stupid.
6. The pool appeared to be "unfinished" in many areas. There was wood framing sticking out and undone tiling around certain pool corners.
7. Men were painting the towel and ping pong area at 8am one morning!?
There was maintenance going on all over the place throughout our stay. Full garbage bags and empty bottles left visible for long periods from the pool and beach areas. This is something a REAL "5 Star" resort hides well and does behind the scenes as to not disturb the guest and the overall ambiance of the resort. Everyone knows there is dirty work to be done but we didn't pay a high price to see it. Not to mention it being done during your busy season and morning hours. Disney World does a better job at that and they cater to children.

Your "Alla Carte" Restaurants and food:
1. Jambalaya was a joke. It is your buffet masked as "restaurant". The food again horrible. We had to go here because we were told that there wasn't anything available in the Grand (we paid for The Grand amenities) and we didn't want to eat buffet again. We made the waitress aware we did not like our meal and she took it back. We left without looking at the buffet dessert.
2. Italian. There were only five tables seated in the whole restaurant that we couldn't get a reservation for earlier than 8:30?! I already received your excuse for this from management but felt it should be mentioned again. No bread was given with match sticks of cheese, as we asked twice. Meal was barely edible.
3. Surf and Turf. Steak was overcooked to well done (ordered medium rare). We were told by our waiter that the large party on the other end of the room had eaten the last of the lobsters. We were given two small shrimp to suffice instead! I ate the shrimp and left my hockey puck steak on the plate for the waiter to take back to the "chef". Later the manager told me lobsters could not be fished April through some later date. Whose story had validity I don't know.
4. Our last night we ate at the "New Jamaican Restaurant" which I must say was good. My dish was VERY spicy (I like HOT spice) nowhere did it list or was I told by the waiter to beware.
5. Every dessert we had during our stay was pre frozen and not worth consuming.
6. Twice we ordered room service (chicken club sandwiches) from not eating much of our dinner earlier. Or we ate the two bags of chips left each day as a late night snack to make it to morning.
7. No citrus i.e.; lemons and limes for drinks or for seafood.
8. Papaya and pineapple seemed to be the only "ripe" fruit served.
9. Every morning we ate in room. Hard boiled eggs, pineapple and coffee. Coffee was never consistent in strength or flavor. Tried a few other things... not worth consuming. Leftovers plates and food were left in room or hallway on floor not picked up until hours later.
10. We witnessed "walk in" guests at a few restaurants. They were allowed to dine in "casual wear". But reserved guests had to be in trousers and sleeved shirts?!
The overall dining experience was a huge let down. Nothing near the "Five stars" you claim to be. It's not even a factor of different tastes it's a matter of quality control and consistency. So you can say I didn't let management know but each evening a waiter was told my thoughts on overall food taste and quality and why we didn't consume our dinners.
Management also told me they "never" received a bad review on the food taste and quality. When I arrived home I took a look at Iberostar Grand reviews online. Every negative review the food is mentioned and your management team responds to each review. So you are aware, you just prefer to lie about it. Again, if we paid for a "2.5 star" resort there would have been NO disappointment or let down on the subject matter!

Hotel Rooms:
1. As mentioned before. Upon entry the first impression was poor. The floors were wet, the room smelled musty or moldy, also stale cigarette smell. Throughout the duration I noticed more and more cleanliness issues.
2. The Hallway was not vacuumed the first two days of our stay. I noticed this only because the entryway of our room was blatantly dirty when we arrived and stayed that way.
3. The bed skirt was filthy!
4. The jetted tub was not properly cleaned. I wouldn't put one toe in it.
5. The doors were greasy, had handprints on them and filthy upon arrival and throughout the stay.
6. The blow dryer was crusty and filthy.
7. The ice bucket was encrusted with pink slime mold. A HUGE HEALTH CODE VIOLATION! This can cause severe illness if you were unaware.
8. The shower didn't drain properly so we stepped in a sudsy puddle every time we exited the shower. It also leaked into the vanity area. The butler informed us that; "they are all that way".
9. The couch on the terrace was stained. We used a towel to sit on it.
10. The throw pillows for the bed were placed on the closet floor the first two nights. And re-used each day to make up the bed. Until I asked housekeeping to not put them on the bed anymore. Which they still did every afternoon sometime. Management suggested they fell from a shelf above which was realistically impossible since the closet doors were closed.
11. Twice the terrace door was left open after housekeeping left. We came back to a hot and humid room.
12. Housekeeping made up room at a different time each day which became very inconvenient.
13. Twice we did not receive our wakeup call. We almost missed our excursion that day.
14. Our glasses were not re-stocked and the shelves they sat on were filthy. We found ourselves drinking water out of snifters.
15. The gallon of water was open and used and never replaced from previous stay. We had to request a new one.
Managements response to my first email was laughable. You want to blame the high humidity on the smell of your rooms? If they were cleaned properly and let in enough natural light perhaps they wouldn't smell like a wet basement! When I mentioned it to my butler, I came in the next day to housekeeping spraying aerosol room freshener. Again none of which would occur or be over looked at a REAL and properly managed "Five Star" resort. We felt ill the last two days of the stay into our arrival home which I would relate to smelling mold for a lengthy period of time. The air conditioning throughout the resort was horrible. Elevators were not cooled at all!
Management mentioned that there was nothing in their PR system as far as "complaints" go. The servers at your restaurant were informed, I spoke to housekeeping on the second day, the butler was spoken to about our issues, at one point I even had a long conversation with a butler on the beach when he asked how my stay was going (on our 4th day) and I was in your guest relations room on many occasions.
After your first correspondence with my travel agent and after rebutting to my first email with your empty management trained explanations. This may seem like small issues or complaints to your management but when looked at as a whole picture from a couple who expected nothing short of a quality "Five Star" RELAXING resort experience and left feeling cheated and misled. We never unwound or relaxed on our stay at The Grand.
Sadly we returned home to New York feeling as though we never went on vacation. Again it is unfortunate at the price we paid to stay at The Grand that the overall experience was not acceptable by any means. We are realistic people and knew that an "All Inclusive" resort wouldn't have it all. That things are a matter of perspective and someone's life style.
In closing I will say that the Jamaican people are friendly people and we found Jamaica's shore line to be absolutely beautiful. I hope to visit again one day but would definitely not use the same travel agent or recommend your resort to any of my family, friends or acquaintances after our experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Ali S
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your having chosen our hotel for your recent vacation. We humbly apologize for the disappointing experiences you have outlined. We regret that there were no aspects of our service that you felt had met your expectations of a true five-star all-inclusive hotel. Our Management and Staff pay a great deal of emphasis to the satisfaction of all our guests, so it was regrettable that the quality of our food, rooms and ambience left a negative impression on you.

We feel sorry that your vacation had not been the hassle-free event you had looked forward to, and would like to add that we received no other complaints of this nature during the week you were here. Nevertheless, please be assured that your review will be passed on to our Management team with a view to identifying how we can improve on our services. It would also be to our benefit to urgently address the maintenance issues you have outlined. As these issues do not reflect our usual impeccable standards.

Though we are not sure if you were eventually offered an upgrade to another room, we regret that we had not been able to appease your distress whilst you were in-house.

We wish you all the best in your future vacations and hope that you will one day reconsider returning to our hotel.

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Grand Iberostar for 3 nights during a total of 5 night stay in Jamaica.
Three hotels make up this complex with this being the superior. Be warned, this is couples only!
Upon check in I was upgraded to an ocean view by dexter at the check in desk (thank you). My bag were swiftly taken off my hand by the bell boy (Lenroy?) who made a comment.. "You have now become a king and kings don't carry bags).
Rooms was amazing. Food was faultless and entertainment was great. Staff couldn't do anymore to ensure your stay was perfect. I could go on about this place but in summary, it's excellent.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank AMALIK
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your heartwarming comments about our hotel. Your generous recommendation of our rooms, food, staff and overall customer service was very motivating to our team. We wanted to clarify though that whilst our hotel is adults-only, we continue to host numerous family groups, single travelers, friends travelling together and business groups, so we do not just cater to couples. We look forward to your return and hope that we can host you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
#4 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,802 reviews
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!