“Lovely stay - gorgeous resort”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely stay - gorgeous resort”
Reviewed 11 April 2010

My wife and I went enjoyed our Babymoon at the Iberstar Grand Rose Hall.

We found the hotel to be very quiet. We were there over the March Break and they were definitely not at full capacity. The structure of the three hotels is that the Adults Only hotel has access to the other two hotels, but the other two hotels do not have access to the Adults Only section.

Upon arrival, the staff had already arranged to upgrade us to an oceanview room. We were met at the concierge desk with a glass of champagne (they were quick to get a non-alcoholic drink for my wife when they realized that she was pregnant).

The hotel room was extremely large, double sinks, separate shower and large jacuzzi tub. Beautiful view from a large covered balcony with plenty of space. It looked like every room had a 2-person hammock and a chaise lounge on balcony.

Turn down service in the evening was excellent and the room was always extremely clean. Concierge service was excellent and were very accommodating. They were able to answer all of our questions about the resort, the amenities, and even the types of massage oils they used (my wife wanted to make sure they were okay for the baby in the belly) via phone and email prior to our arrival. Room service was a little disappointing, as it was slow and there were not a lot of choices.

There were two pools with one pool having a swim up bar being more occupied and, as a result, slightly louder. It was not a rowdy crowd by any means, but the normal sounds of people talking, calling to each other, a group of people laughing, etc. The other pool was much calmer and quieter (which is where my wife and I were) and usually consisted of people reading, relaxing, or sleeping on the beds or chairs. There was never a problem finding a place in the shade or sun to relax by the pool or ocean. There were also some beds in the main area just off to the side of the pools which was even more secluded.

Even the beach area was pretty quiet with the odd volleyball game or water exercise taking place (each may have happened once a day for 20-40 minutes), but you could barely hear it from the pool and it wasn't very noisy even at the beach.

It did get louder and busier the further along the beach you walked as you entered into the beach space for the other two hotels.

The hotel staff were incredibly accommodating and did not seem to be inconvenienced by anything that we requested. I'm sure they would do the same for them.

The restaurants were very good, but not excellent. We enjoyed the food and were pleased with the variety, but there was nothing that was so memorably great that we'd write about. However, there was nothing memorably bad that we feel we needed to write about.

The stay included two free rounds of golf at Cinnamon Hill (a beautiful course). Owen, my caddy, was great and very informative about the local culture and the land that the course was built on.

The spa was good, nothing fantastic, but was definitely still very relaxing. We had a few massages and one was better than the other, so, it probably depends in part on who you get. The environment was very clean adn the staff were very polite.

We were disappointed with the romantic dinner by the ocean, as neither the service nor the food were very good. With that being said, this was the exception for the entire week and everybody has a bad day (even wait staff and chefs). The concept and the ambiance was great. As well, when I explained what had happened to the concierge, they discounted the cost of the dinner since we were not totally satisfied with the experience.

We went on a sunset catamaran cruise. While I didn't enjoy it, my wife was pleased and found it very relaxing. I'm not a boat person, but, if you are, you may want to consider this.

Shopping was no different than my DR shopping excursion. Downtown strip in Montego Bay for rum, shirts, cigars. 270 shacks of people selling very similar "homemade" stuff. A very small shopping strip mall with some jewlery. It was okay.

All in all it was an excellent trip and we'd highly recommend it to couples who are looking for a nice, relaxing getaway.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank matthew_saltzman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,982)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
SEA ISLE CITY
Reviewed 11 April 2010

This resort is truly a 5 star hotel and worth every penny! The Surf & Turf and Japanese restaurants were our favorites, although the Italian and Gourmet were also good. The double cut filet, potato puree, and fried ice cream at the Surf and Turf, and the shrimp tempura at the Japanese were to die for!
The first day or two we had trouble getting waitress service on the beach or by the pool, but it greatly improved as each day passed. The waiters/waitresses in the restuarants were very accomodating; everything was "No, problem!"
My husband and I had a massage at the spa and it was the best!
Each night before dinner, we had drinks in the lobby bar where there was always entertainment. The saxophone player was our favorite.
The butler/concierge service is the best; they are always at your beck and call and will accomodate you the best they can. Just ask!
The resort is clean, the people are nice, the shows are fabulous, and the food was very good! We can not wait to go back!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ROCKSMOM22
NorthEast New Jersey
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Ok so this is WAY over due...

This place is fantastic. Everything you would want in a relaxing vacation.

The swimming pools are clean and fantastic... The swim up bar, Awesome!! Garth is the MAN!!!

The beach - beautiful and clean. Water nice and warm.

The rooms, unbelievable. The bed was very comfortable. There was a shower and a bath, so it was easy to get ready. I would shower while my girlfriend bathed. The patios are nice size and clean.

The restaurants..

Breakfast buffet - great, they have everything!

Lunch on the beach. I haven't stopped talking about this. Day one i had lobster tails and beef wellington, at the BUFFET!!!! Who does that? I do, and i would do it again and again.

We went to each restaurant and each was great. White glove service at the Gourmet, hibachi is always fun. Surf and Turf was good as well. And don't be afraid to ask to try more then one dish. We would get 3 apps and 3 dinners some times, if we just couldn't make up our minds.

The Location - Well its about 20 minutes from the airport, very quick and easy.

Nightlife - The disco is fun and busy some times.

By being in the Grand you have access to all 3 locations of the resort. If you walk through each, you will notice you made the right choice by being at the grand.

The staff was very accommodating from beginning to end.

All in all, i want to go back... After staying here i tell everyone about it and it would be very hard to stay at another resort other than an Iberostar.

Thanks for such an AMAZING time!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pwg107
North Carolina
Reviewed 11 April 2010

My Husband and I were at the Iberostar Grand from April 5-9, 2010. It was the first time in Jamaica, and it was truly PARADISE...if you're thinking about a trip to Jamaica, stay here!!
First of all, no kids means no whining, crying or arguing. A much deserved break for any parents of little ones. From the time we landed in MB, I cannot say enough good things about this place. It should be rated 10star, not just 5. The staff truly go the extra mile in service to provide a wonderful vacation.
Port Maria was our favorite place to eat in the mornings, overlooking the beautiful sea. The best orange juice ever; tasted like it came right off the orange trees.
Jerry at the pool bar was great. I highly recommend the rum runners...yummmy!
The beds on the beaches were the bomb! Where else can you snuggle with your spouse in a bed on a beach??!! We stayed on the beach from 7:30 until 5pm one day.
The entertainment at night was so much more than I expected. It was like being in New York for Broadway every night. We loved how the dancers would mingle with the crowd after the show and even dance with you at the disco later on. Like I said earlier, the attention to details was far more than anyone can imagine.
We are already planning another trip next year, hopefully for 7 days next time around.
Bennie and Dianne Edmundson
Wilson, NC

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jamaicalovers45
dawnhirt
Reviewed 10 April 2010

After reading the reviews I only was concerned about getting reservations for dinner, and getting a chair. Everything was what I expected and more. We arrived on the Wed. before Easter, greeted with a refreshing towel and drink. Check in was smooth, upgraded to a ocean view with a larger balcony. The room was absolutely gorgeous. Balcony (all rooms have) was nice with an ocean and pool view. Nice swing and chair and ceiling fan. Our butler made sure everything was good in the room- got a few things that housekeeping missed in the minibar and replaced a few pages in our directory that wore torn. He even made our reservations for dinner that night at the restaurant and time we wanted. When he returned, he even had gone ahead and made reservations for the times/restaurants we had asked him about. We grabbed lunch at the open air/ocean view buffet. No beach bbqs while we were there (unless there was one SAT when we went to Dunns River Falls) but it was not very busy at all wed or thurs, and friday until later in the day...Dinner was great at all 4 ala carte- you can check menus prior to making reservations. Never had dinner at the buffet. Breakfast was better at the indoor buffet, lobster always on the lunch buffet. Liked the Japanese restaurant and loved the surf and turf- the steak was perfect. No issues with reservation, room service 24/7 tried it once, but really not needed there is so much food. Pool bar was great- try a Jerry's special! Star Friends were entertaining. Did a few shows pretty good also. Disco is on the suites side- Benefit of grand no kids, but can access all 3 resorts. Beaches seemed a bit skimpy, suites not bad- nice lazy river. Went on trip- through tour desk at hotel- same price as online. Only problem- some broken chairs- they really need to repair or replace and the saving chair game. If you get up early you can get a nice spot- only had one issue saved our spot before sunrise and someone moved our stuff to the table and put theirs on it...We just moved theirs added more and didnt have anyother issues. That really is a problem with guests, not iberostar, but if they replaced some broken chairs it may not be as big of an issue. Hotel should also include the transfer to airport like other hotels do. Other than those concerns, everyone was so great. Did have 20 bucks taken out of my wallet that was in my suitcase (should have put in the safe or locked the suitcase back up!!!!) but that was my fault for not locking it up...so be aware and safe with valuables. Sat was a bit on the smoky side- made be a little sick to my stomach after a nice dinner-not sure if it was the cigar bar or just people smoking at the bars.Bring bug spray- did get a few bites. Check out the wellness pool and spa- can use the hottubs up there-some were not working properly but the wellness pool was great. The staff are always happy and trying to please and do not expect a tip (it is included but some tip in addition, they do not expect it though). All the staff is wonderful at this resort.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank dawnhirt
New York
Reviewed 9 April 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for six days during the last week of March. We both work in Midtown Manhattan and knew we had to get away to someplace warm and relaxing and decided on Jamaica. We chose the Iberostar Grand because of the great reviews here -- Butlers! Golf! Food! Booze! I almost wished I hadn't stayed up all night reading 33 pages of reviews, because when we arrived, my expectations were so high! The experience of the Iberostar Grand is truly a combination of the really bad reviews here and the raving ones. Food is very poor to "okay", service varied from so-so to pleasant -- but the calm blue ocean, the beautiful sunny weather, the awesome three giant infinity swimming pools, the clean rooms and just getting away from work made it all worthwhile.

Let's start with the good:
- Food and drinks are all included. Let's get that one out of the way. Yep, no extra charges. 24-hour room service, the breakfast and lunch buffets, and the a la carte restaurants, as well as all of the drinks you get while dining or at any of the bars, are included.

- The rooms are very clean. We requested a non-smoking room, but they were unable to fulfill our request. Even though it was a "smoking" room, there was minimal smoke smell. There weren't any crazy scented candles or burning oils or anything like the other reviews said. There were plenty of towels, the linens were clean (a little damp from the humidity if you left the windows open though), the floors weren't dusty.

- The beach is very relaxing. There are plenty of beach chairs shaded by these palm-frond cabana things. We didn't have much trouble getting seats, but the beach beds were almost always taken. The beach beds were kind of gross, though (cigarette burns, stains, dampness from other people's wet bodies being on them, etc.), so we didn't mind so much. The beach isn't that long, but it was a nice after-breakfast walk from the Ibero Grand to the Suites and Beaches next door.

- The ocean is clear with very small to no waves. Apparently, they clean out much of the seaweed at the Grand beach. The other sister resorts next door had lots of seaweed in their water. The water is calm, and you can only swim out a few yards until it's roped off "for your safety." It looked like you could kayak/windsail beyond those ropes, though. There were no jellyfish, sharks, urchins, etc. any of the days I was there... just a few fish on the first day and some long pieces of grass-like seaweed. Maybe because it was an artificial beach (from what I've read) but I also noticed that there weren't many shells, just pebbles. There's like 2-4 Jamaican guys floating along the ropes on surfboards trying to sell necklaces and wooden sculptures, but they never bothered us.

- The pools are really great. There's three big infinity pools. There were rarely more than 4-5 people in each pool, and no annoying kids (the Grand is 18+), no splashing... occasionally, from our rooms, we heard some obnoxious drunk adults making a ruckus out there, but luckily we were never around for that. The pool bar is excellent and the bartenders are fun without being over-the-top in your face. It's really hard to get a lounge chair around the pool.

- No spring breakers! I was worried that, since we'd be there during spring break week, we'd be surrounded by obnoxious college kids taking advantage of the unlimited booze. No -- only obnoxious middle aged people occasionally getting rowdy.

- By the way -- Weather.com had predicted thunderstorms every single day of the week, but we never say any rain except for a drop or two after it got dark. So don't feel discouraged if the forecast doesn't look so great.

Now for the not-so-good:
- When you're at an all-inclusive, realistically speaking, a big part of your stay is the food. The food was really a mixed bag. Maybe we went during an "off" season. On our first night, we went to the Surf and Turf (recommended to us by one of the staff -- who also told us that the staff isn't allowed to dine at any of the restaurants! Seemed bizarre to us.). The seafood combination was not very good. It was like three shrimp with the veins hanging out, a slice of some kind of seafood, and a stone crab claw that had obviously been frozen. The meat inside was inedible, and had that freezer-burn quality that was soggy and spongy. The steak was good, and the lobster tail was a glorified prawn. Even our server apologized and said that instead of having Jamaican lobster, they were serving us lobster from Canada which was smaller. Everything was overly salted. I'll admit that the desserts were great, though (chocolate hazelnut cake).

The Japanese place is a joke. I ordered the salmon sashimi, and when my plate arrived, there were 5 tiny slices of lox. Instead of sashimi -- raw fish, it was smoked, extremely salty lox. I wish they'd given me a bagel to put it on! Next was the "ramen," which I thought would be a little bowl of noodles, but it was a tiny 1/4 cup of ... inedibly salty broth with pork in it. How do you have ramen without the ... ramen noodles? My boyfriend's chicken and almond stirfry looked like something you get out of TV dinner tray, and my lobster curry was okay. Again, the desserts were probably the only passable part -- but when you have a dairy allergy like me, you're very limited.

The breakfast and lunch buffets are fine, if you like having the same food every day. Breakfast had eggs, little meat dishes (like goat curry), bacon, salad, hot dogs cut in half as breakfast sausage, fruit, yogurt, bread... I had eggs made to order, which were a welcome relief from all of the salty food but were really greasy. The Jamaican beach buffet was good, though... call me crazy, but none of the BBQ grills were actually lit -- they just brought out the food. Was it really a BBQ or did they just bring the same food out of the kitchen? Jerk chicken, oxtail, okra, salad, fruit... good stuff. The buffet only had grilled lobster tail that everyone seemed to be raving about here ONCE -- on the last day that we were there.

Despite trying to eat a lot of salad and drink lots of water, all of the salt and meat made me sick starting day 3 of my vacation until several days after I got home. It felt like a rock in my stomach and I was really glad I had brought Alka Seltzer. I also bought a small $12 bottle of Pepto Bismol at the gift store. I'm a 25 year old girl who usually can eat anything, but I was up all night rolling around, sweating, in pain. My boyfriend was okay, though.

- Service was very pleasant, but unreliable. We were told our butler would meet us at our room upon our arrival, but he never showed up. We finally saw him after we called down to ask for a cable to hook up our internet. He showed up about 1.5 hours later with a cord that was broken. Luckily, we'd also brought our own (we needed two to hook up the wireless router we brought) so we used that. My boyfriend and I had to occasionally do work while on this vacation, so bringing our own wireless router was an absolute -must-. They only provide the socket and the cable. You have to figure out how to hook up the wireless on your own.

The butler asked us if we wanted any drinks in particular. We requested Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light. He said, "No problem, mon," but we NEVER got any of those. One night, I ran into a butler who said that he was our "real" butler and that the other guy was just covering on his day off. Hoping this would mean that we'd get better service, I gave him $10. Never saw him again, and he never brought us beers. We had to ask the nighttime cleaning ladies for the beers. Unlike the other reviews, we didn't have the rose petal bubble baths... mini-fridge stocked with whatever they wanted... etc.

- Music was really repetitive. The beach buffet had some fun reggae music, but even then, the same 10 or so songs were repeated again and again. I really don't want to hear a dance cover of Sting more than like... two times in my entire life, let alone 10 times a day. I heard "Who Let the Dogs Out" more times than I'd like to admit. They played house dance music really loud during ocean water aerobics. This is not to mention the woman on the bullhorn trying to get people to dance every single afternoon (around 3 or 4pm) which turned out to be exactly the time my boyfriend and I wanted to take a siesta. Every single afternoon, it was the same song -- the "one hop this time! slide to the left! slide to the right!" song you hear at pretty much every Bar Mitzvah and wedding you've ever been to.

- It's very smoker-friendly. Smoking on the beach. Smoking by the pool. Smoking indoors at the lounge bar. If you're sensitive to smoke, you won't like this at all. Seeing a lady with cellulite flick ashes onto the sand at the beach while downing another beer just looked trashy, too.

- This obviously isn't the resort's fault, but be aware that international roaming on cell phones is really high. I kept my phone off the whole time and used Skype instead, but my boyfriend needed to make a few calls and it was $2/minute on Verizon plus data usage charges. Make sure you get this all in order before you leave on your trip.

- The carpets are really not a big deal, but it was hard to believe that we were staying at the "#1" hotel in Montego Bay. It looked like someone had been killed and then dragged around. The rest of the hotel was clean and the lobby was really beautiful. The public restrooms were all very clean, too.

All in all, I'd come back if it were much cheaper (because it was spring break week, our costs were significantly higher than during other times), and with lower expectations. The room was really lovely, and the beach, though artificial, was beautiful. There wasn't much that was really "Jamaican" about the trip in terms of a cultural experience except for the staff, but if the most important thing to you on a vacation is relaxing in the ocean, sitting in the sand, swimming in the pool, getting away from work, and drinking all the Jamaican rum your heart desires... sure, I'd recommend the Grand. Just make sure you bring your Pepto Bismol, some sunblock, and your iPod (with headphones).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fattytree
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 9 April 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Grand for our anniversary/babymoon. We have been to Jamaica a number of times and I have to say that this hotel has to be the best one we have stayed at. They offer a personal butler that realyl caters to your every beck and call. The pool cabanas are simply fabulous - the waiters and waitresses constantly make sure you have something to drink. Very nice especially for someone who is 5 months pregnant. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!