“This place is Awesome!!!!!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Just returned from a reunion vacation with a group of friends. I can't say enough about this hotel. It was my nicest, most relaxing, vacation ever and I have traveled all over Europe, Mexico and parts of Central America. The staff of this hotel is beautiful....inside and out. Everyone from the men raking the beach, to the gardners, to the star friends, to the wait staff, and housekeeping staff, to the bartenders and the waiters were wonderful. Always..took the time to speak, to ask if I was enjoying my stay, to ask if there was anything else that they, personally, could do to improve my stay. Always a beautiful Jamaican smile to accompany all of those yummy Jamaican smiles from the bar. I'm not good with names but I cannot say enough about the young people working at this hotel. They were perpetual motion and perpetual smiles from morning into the late evening. I don't know what Iberostar pays them....but it is not enough. The meals were wonderful and very nicely presented and they kept the wine or the champagne flowing. I would imagine that the guys would prefer the buffets or the surf and turf restaurants for the volume of food....but I loved every meal that I had. I loved the variety at breakfast and lunch and the opportunity to try Jamaican specialties. The Jamaican barbecue on the beach was out of this world. The music in the piano bar every evening was lovely....and I thoroughly enjoyed all of the shows.
I spent very little time in my room....but I slept like a baby in the comfortable bed and very quiet rooms, I loved coming in at night and finding a scented candle, chocolate on my pillow...etc. I appreciated the satelite t.v. as I wound down from the day and enjoyed listening to television española from Spain. The shower was to die for. I am a very private person so I really didn't make use of the butler but the butlers did check with me every day. Another thing I appreciated was when my luggage was lost...the bellman called and let me know it had arrived and brought it right up to me at 11 in the evening so I would have fresh things in the morning.
When I was leaving my room for the last time I had a hug from the housekeeper who wished me god speed and a safe journey home. She made me feel like I was a friend that she would welcome back. The only tiny thing that I would criticize was the lack of air conditioning in the buffet restaurant the one evening I ate there.
All in all I have never felt so pampered. I'll miss the tropical breezes, the song of the crickets in the evening, and the warmth of the Jamaican people who make the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall such a wonderful place to vacation. I'd return in a heart beat!!!! Great Job Iberostar!!!!
By the way...I thought the best drinks came from the bar at the buffet restaurant by the beach.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank AnotherJamaicanSmile
Write a ReviewReviews (6,723)

Reviewed 16 July 2010

Iberostar Grand Hotel in Rose Hall, Jamaica is a treat for those who know how to live. As soon as you arrive at the grand, you are greeted by the bellme on duty whom take control of your luggage, give you a cold wash cloth and show you to the front desk in the spacious open lobby . Shout out to Keith and Kevin(bellmen) and Satnarine(security). You never feel like you don't bleong. The check in was quick. Kevin took me and my luggage to my suite. The employees of the Grand are professionals, dependable, dedicated and work extremely hard. With a welcome rum punch in hand from one of the many waitresses on the property.

Once you have on your "Grand' bracelet, anything that you want, you get.
The Suites
The suites are large with a king size bed and multiple pillows. If the pillow is not to your liking, there is a pillow menu to choose a new one. 7 different types of pillows await your selection.There is a plasma TV with cable, DVD player and IPOD dock. Daily newspaper deleivered to your door each morning. Once you have arrived in your suite, your butler stops by. My butler was Darwin. He was a consistent perfectionist. Darwin is one of the many bulters that makes this resort, a place to return to time and time again. Darwin showed me around the suite, mentioned things to do while on the property and informed that a bath could be drawn as needed. My bathtime was between 5:00 and 5;30 pm daily. My other butlers were Ian and Raneish. All were very attentive. Get lost-Darwin will find you and take you to your next location.The butlers are to die for.
In the evening, your bed linens are turned down. Chocolates and a good night note are left on your pillow. The draperies are drawn and the A/C is kicking.
If you want to make any kind of reservations for dinners or spa treatments, contact the Conceirge. In my section of the resort, Janelle was God sent. If you want something,s he can make it happen. She recommended the Orange shower scrub treatment at the spa as a good treatement. Of which, I had.

El spa
Look and feel like a million dollars after one of the fantastic treatments in the new spa center.There is a wellness pool, fitness center, sauna, hot and cold tub for your enjoyment. After the spa treatment, stop by the health bar for an energizing fresh fruit drink. Yummy.
The orange shower scrub, massage and facial is a treatment for both males and females. Donna was a fantastic massage therapist. She made you feel like a new person after she completed the scrub, massage and facial with orange essence oils. This is a treatment to I recommended to other guests. yes, they booked it and loved it.

The beach
This resort is a grown up paradise. I've stayed at the Beach resort but once you go Grand, you don't go back.
Beach towels are at your disposal. Take as many as you like to the cabanas at the pool or the beach. the pol was nice but the beach is where everyone tried to be. Cover your seat and run into the clear blue water. fish swim at your feet. the beach is not very wide but there isn't much to worry about. Waitresses come to take your drink order or you can swim or walk to the swimup bar. Alcohol or not, water and soda are always available. There is even ice cream at the swim-up bar. Shout out to bartender- Morris.

Not in the swimming mood, check out one of the "star friends" for activitied. Shout out to Kaneisha,Felicia,Mario and all the entertainment firends. Activities are available if you like( aerobics in the ocean, dance lessons and friendly talking). The "Star friends' are friends for life.

The grounds
Well manicured lawns. Need assistance, ask for Michael. He was very helpful with seashell issue. Butterflies fly among the beautiful yellow,red and pink flowers. Listen to the sounds of natural. yes, you are still on Earth. The Grand property is similar to the Suites and the Beach prperties, but there is one noticeable difference- the Grand is Adults only. You can walk to the other properties down the beach or stroll through the buildings . The Grand is top notch. Security will allow you to go to the other properties but will not allow the other 2 properties to the Grand. Yes, Dorothy this is your home away from home.
Some were good and others not. the buffets had great selections. Not so of the Gourmet restaurant. Portions were small and not to my liking. However, the presentation of the food on teh plates were an artisitic delight.There are 4 speciality restaurants( Ilalian, Surf and Turf, Japanese and Gourmet) and 2 buffets( inside and outside). I think that they could close the Gourmet one and replace it with an authentic Jamaican restaurant. The only time that truly Jamaican dishes were served was during the twice weekly beach BBQ. Shout out to the chef and kitchen staff. the coco bread, jerked chicken and fish were very good. similar to food purchased in MoBay from the local vendors. There is a Jamaican section in the buffet restaurant but not really authentic. The executive chef Mario made a turkey salad on my last night. It was very fresh and so good. Wish I had a chef back in the states.

I have stayed in Jamaica many times but this is the ultimate in luxury living. I wish I could stay forever and ever. I forgot to shout out any one, forgive me,I will do my best the next time to remember your name. As a reeat guest, I can not wait for another "GRAND' vaction at this resort. Irie Mon.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank meya76
Reviewed 16 July 2010

This was my 6th visit to an all-inclusive resort but my first time at an Iberostar property. The rooms are of comparable quality from what I have found with other properties, if not better. The hotel facilities such as the lobby, bars and other public places are very nice. The pools are great. The swim-up pool bar was wonderful! That was probably the best part of the week, sitting at the swim-up pool bar with Jerry and Morris.

I was not as happy with the food services however. I would have preferred to have an option for a more casual place from which you could pick up food and take it to the beach, pool or room in the afternoon. At other all-inclusives, Sandals in particular, I have enjoyed being able to do this in the afternoon. Iberostar has a policy of not allowing you to take food out of any of the restaurants, or so I was told. This also presented an issue at breakfast. Room service took way too long and the food was cold by the time it arrived. The breakfast card to hang outside the door was not of much use since we'd wake up at different times every day. The more formal restaurants were not really that good so weren't worth making a reservation. We usually left our dinner on the plate and got something from the buffet instead or just went back to the room and ordered room service. None of the food seemed fresh, it was always poorly seasoned and overcooked, and had the "mass produced" feeling like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a couple of hours before it was dished up and served.

I was also bothered by the tipping situation. This is supposed to be an ALL inclusive resort which includes tips. However, many times throughout the day we were faced with a situation of needing something and then someone hanging around waiting on a tip. This occured most often with housekeeping taking glasses, wine, etc out of the room but not having it replaced. We'd have to call multiple times per day to get more glasses, more wine, more sodas, more bathroom supplies, etc. This appeared to be geared toward having to continually give someone a tip. Don't be fooled by the "butler" service advertised either. This is not like a butler service I've experienced at other resorts where the butler keeps your room stocked so that you don't have to continually request items. We saw the butler at check-in and once more during the week. They did not keep the room stocked as we requested at check-in and weren't the ones who did bring items when we requested them.

I also found the "customer service" in general to be lacking at this resort, compared to Sandals in particular which has always far exceeded my expectations. The staff at this resort were very friendly but were very lackadaisical in responding to guests' needs and it was often difficult to find somone when something was needed.

One plus was that this resort was right on the beach and we had a great room near and overlooking the ocean. This was also $1,000 cheaper than the comparable Sandals so we wanted to give another company a try. For that different in price, I'd try another Iberostar property in the future.

3  Thank Cristen F
Reviewed 15 July 2010

The moment you arrive at the Iberostar you get the feeling of a true 5 star hotel. You are greeted with a cold towel and during check in a waiter approaches you with a cold cocktail. Check in was a breeze, we booked an ocean view room where we could see the pool area and the ocean. The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to ask you how your stay is. The hotel looks brand new, very clean. The rooms were spotless and fully air conditioned. Wonderful large bathroom, mini bar and snacks, lcd tv, dvd player (they have a dvd library you can call your concierge and they will deliver movies to your room), ipod dock, free wired internet in the room (albeit it was slow), swing on the balcony, pillow menu, 24 hr room service. Each room also comes with a "butler" and they are there to make your a la carte restaurant reservations as well as any other needs you may have. They can also draw a romantic bath for you. We noticed most of the time the butlers took a long time to respond to our requests for various things, but my guess is they are kept busy dealing with their other rooms. Housekeeping also comes every evening and turns down your bed and leave a chocolate on your pillow.
The food is very good, the buffet features Jamaican as well as international cuisines, we were very impressed. All the a la carte restaurants are good except the Italian one. You also have access to the other two Iberostar resorts located adjacent to the Grand Rose Hall, but they are not as nice and we didn't bother checking them out really. The beach was great, a bit pebbly in some places, the water was warm, clear and inviting with not too much sea weed. There are lots of lounge chairs as well as beach beds, and we never had a problem getting a beach bed (the resort was 1/2 full which helped). The pool area is very nice, there are 3 infinity pools and you can play water basketball and volleyball. The pool bar is also a nice place to relax. The resort also features beach activities such as beach volleyball and water aerobics. There is also a beach barbecue every Wednesday and Saturday which was wonderful. The entertainment is so so but worth checking out. There is also a disco in the adjacent resort which we didn't check out. There is a spa that is shared by all three resorts and free of charge to use, where there is a wellness pool and different temperature pools...very relaxing, and barely used. There are also, cigar bars, gift shops, free internet cafes and a mini slot machine casino.
Overall it was a wonderful trip, we were there on our Honeymoon and we would recommend it to other couples looking for a luxurious stay in Jamaica at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GGSTU
Reviewed 15 July 2010

The Iberostar Grand Rose Hall is just wonderful! My wife & I went down for a week to celebrate our 1st Anniversary.

Our goal of the trip was just to get away and relax! We had an amazing time at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. The service was amazing and the people would go out of their way to be helpful. For example, my wife is a vegetarian and the chefs at the restaurants created a special menu for her, so we could both enjoy the dining at the restaurants.

Major Tip: Book the restaurants ahead of time... I read this on Trip Advisor and it made a big difference because the buffet is just ok... but the restaurants actually have good food. I wouldn't go as far as calling it 5 star dining, but it is pretty close (they usually over cooked the meat).

The pool bar is great... The guys will make you drinks all day long and they love to meet everyone.

The beach was private, which was perfect because we didn't have issues with children or people attempting to sell us stuff.

We're already thinking of going back for our next anniversary.

3  Thank wdcjetsetter
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I have traveled the world and even though this property was recommended to us, I would never go back to it. I was advised this property was only 15 months old and it appeared no up keep is done to it. The carpets in the hallway were full of stains, some of the restaurants had some large paint chips, our room had some dings in it. Our door never shut right. We always had to slam it. Our clock never worked right even after calling several times and someone trying to fix it. At one point we asked for a new one, and we were told there is none available. Our first day we were approached by Micheal a butler, and that he would take care of us. The only thing he did was take his tip. I won't even mention how sick I got...

The positive sides are the views from our garden room were spectular. (we could see the garden, pool and ocean) The balcony was great with the ceiling fan and hammock. I loved the bathroom. The restaurants especially the surf and turf and Japanese were fantastic. I could do without the buffet.

The staff made the property. Everybody from the security, front desk, wait staff, etc. Some of the individuals were were superb were: Viviene Williams, Kennesha Wallace, Kassandra Watt all cocktail waitresses. Always waited on you with a smile, and remembered what you were drinking.

Dwayne and Reneish the butlers. These guys always tried to help you as much as they could. Theolyn the pool conceige, and suzette the lifegurad. Ruth the wairess from the Japanese restaurant was great. Desmond from the Surf and Turf always remembered your name, and had a big smile on his face.

Dennies, Anneka, Gracia and steffan from the outside buffet were great. All of these guys that I mentioned worked long hours and no matter what wers smiling. The activities staff and dance crew were great!!!!!

Maybe this is just me, but one time was enough...sorry.

1  Thank lor1100
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Spent a wonderful honeymoon week in Jamaica at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall. Rooms and pool were beautiful, food was good (especially for Jamaica) and the overall property was beautiful (only criticism would be in regards to the carpeting in the hallways which has a ton of of stains for this new of a property - - don't know why they don't clean them more often???). We have 7 kids when we are at home, so the "adults only" aspect was key for us. Butler set up several wonderful bubble baths with a chilled bottle of champagne for us. Would definitely go back to this property.

2  Thank KMan44
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!