“Really great hotel, but deficient in some areas”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
LONDON
“Really great hotel, but deficient in some areas”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

All in all a great all inclusive. I would recommend it.

Beautiful grounds, nice main pool, rooms are spacious and of a very good standard. Staff within the complex really nice and friendly. Overall a nice feel to the place, relaxed and not too hectic during the day. Beach is also not too busy, water and beach itself is about a 3 or 4 out of 5 for Jamaican north coast beaches.

But please please, sort out your front desk, it is right what others say. The front desk really lets the place down. If you contrast the service and feel you get from lets say Sandals then there is a huge difference. Also yes, the resort is lacking in entertainment, it doesnt need to be brash and loud like some other resorts but atleast something beyond a bit of karaoke in the main bar.

Food is of a good standard, a great steak restaurant. Shame they didnt open all their restaurants and then instead allowed the ones they did open to get fully booked!

But overall I would say food is better at Sandals/Beaches. Also Sandals/Beaches has more premium drinks definately a notch above Ibero or any other all ins we've been to on island when it comes to the bar.

I compare with Sandals/Beaches as that pretty much its main high end competitor. I would say there's not much between them at all, pros and cons to each one. Better rooms, grounds and overall vibe at Ibero. But beaches has better entertainment, and booze. Not much between the 2 on food.

This all being said, we will probably return at some point.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kingbenny999
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of the management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar to spend your vacation and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share with the online community your view on your stay with us.
It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and to know that you were pleased with the food, room, pools and overall service. With that being said, we have taken not of your comments and concerns and we will have them directed to the respective manager for deliberation.
It has certainly been our pleasure to have had you vacationing with us, and we truly hope that when planning your next vacation, Iberostar will be the foremost resort in your mind as we would consider it an absolute honor to serve you once more. Thank you for choosing Iberostar.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,064)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I previously posted that the Entertainment crew at the Suites was superior and amazing and made our trip to the Iberostar worth it and that feedback is correct and I am still recommending people go to the Iberostar in Montego Bay - either the beach or the suites, however, Iberostar needs to improve their customer service at the front desk. I want to post about the less than superior and disappointing customer service experience at the Suites. This was my 4th time to the Iberostar in Montego Bay (first trips were to the Beach resort and this was my first to the Suites) and I was very disappointed in the Customer Service I received from the front desk based on this points:
#1 We originally booked at the Beach and when we got to the Beach resort we upgraded to the Suites. Before we left home I phoned the Beach resort directly to see if it was possible to upgrade when we got there and was told yes, to just email her - Joely Acosta - the Front Desk Manager which I did and she replied that it was all set up to upgrade and all we needed to do was go to the Beach when we arrived and pay for the upgrade there and then go directly to the Suites to check in.
#2 when we got to the Beach and the Suites we did not feel important or welcome or receive a drink like we saw others get during the trip, when you see others get greated with a drink and you dont doesnt make you very impressed. The women that work the front desk are not friendly however the men are, we were checked in by women.
#3 we got to the Suites, after we already did our paperwork and paid at the Beach and received our room number, it was 8:00 PM and were told our room wasnt ready because they were not expecting me at the Suites. So I showed them my email from Joely and they stated that even though I arranged it with her it was not relayed from the Beach to the Suites and they were not expecting me, so that was why the room wasnt prepared and I would have to wait. It took them an hour and a half to get our room ready! We had to wait until 9:30 PM to get into our room - not ideal after travelling all day and wanted to get changed before the show in the theatre. When we asked to have it rushed, received a non sympathetic response and they would try but didnt know, when I asked how long it would be, they could not tell me. I even told them I didnt care if it wasnt cleaned or anything I just wanted in my room, still no accomodation. I was irritated that they basically did not care about our situation and it took an hour and a half to RUSH getting the room ready!
#4 one day during our stay someone threw up in the hallway outside our room and we had to call 4 different times through out the day to the front desk to request it be cleaned.
#5 our TV did not work.
#6 there was a couple lamp light bulbs out in our room.
#7 our last day there our flight was not until night and we did not have to leave the resort until 5:00 PM so I requested at the front desk to have a late check out - as late as possible, ideally not until 4 but even 3:00 PM would be better, but was told it would cost $10.00/hr after noon. I stated that this was my 4th trip in a year that it would be appreciated if they could they accomodate me a bit and at least give me until 3:00 PM and again it was a women and she did not appear to care to much or try to accomodate me. So I asked her if I can elevate it to a manager and she did not appear impressed, went behind the door and came back and said she talked to the manager and that they could not accomodate me and that the room we were in had someone else booked in it so she now couldnt even have us pay for the extra cost to stay till 3 and we had to bring our bags down at noon and vacate the room and use the complimentary bathroom to shower in.
#8 We used the "complimentary shower room" and it was not ideal to say the least. It is a public bathroom off the lobby with a shower in it with no privacy. The shower has a door but you have to put your suitcase/bag in public bathroom area and no door for the dressing area. The blowdryer didnt work in the bathroom either and I had a wedding party come in and ask to borrow my brush etc!
#9 I asked how I lodge a complaint and I was told I had to go to the concierge desk to get the form and fill out. So this I did and handed back into the concierge before I left that night and that was on November 3 and I have heard NOTHING back from Iberostar.
#10 the WIFI didnt work in the hotel room.
#11 friends we made during our trip that were also staying at the Suites had an incident one of the days of their trip where they were taking pictures on the bridge at the pool and one of the Iberostar staff came up to them and told them they needed to get off the bridge because the CEO or "big wig of Iberostar" was crossing the bridge and they were told to move off the bridge so that the "big wig" could cross.

I dont typically complain and I am pretty easy going but because there was issue after issue and the response is that they really dont care you have issues and dont understand the importance of good customer service, it irritates me a great deal. Good customer service should have been when I told Joely that this was my fourth stay in a year, she should have looked into a free or discounted upgrade to the Suites without me having to ask for. I even asked at the Beach if they would do something for us and answer was "not sure, you would have to ask at the Suites or ask Joely". I see I am not the only one to post about poor customer service at the Iberostar.

It is a good thing that the Star Friends at the Suites are so amazing and that the entertainment is as great as it is because they are the reason we come back. VIP, Sting Rae, OMG, MoMo, China and Sweetness have all become great friends and they work their butt off with their long hours going out of their way to make sure ALL the guests are happy and entertained so the least the Front Desk Customer Service and Management at IBEROSTAR can do is learn from them and make us feel as important as the Star Friends do. I wonder if Iberostar understands how many returning guests they have and why they come back? Because I have not heard back from Iberostar with my formal complaint I handed in on Nov 3 I hope to hear back from Santos on this forum....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Meghan H
Dear guest,

Please allow us to use this opportunity to express our sincere appreciations for once again choosing to spend your vacation here with us at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites and for posting your review of your recent stay with us here on Trip Advisor.

Upon reading your review I am deeply saddened to hear that you were not pleased with various aspects of your recent stay with us and I would like to point out that the management and staff is dedicated in creating an ambiance which satisfies our guests’ requirements and as such we will be contacting you regarding the inconveniences incurred.

Having said that, I would like to thank you once more for choosing Iberostar and we do hope that we will be once again given the pleasure of hosting you at our hotel.

Monroe Twp nj
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This all inclusive specializes in drinking. Being I only drink a normal amount I found it to be not worth the price. the food is only average and it is not that easy to get a reservation in the specialty restaurants. Thus you ares tuck with the buffet.The entertainment is almost non existent.I will say the beach is nice and the pool and grounds are fantastic.The rooms are also very nice and well kept.If you want to drink the entire day this is your place. however if you want entertainment at night and good food try a cruise.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Warren K
Dear guest,

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing Iberostar as your vacation destination and also for sharing your review of your stay here on Trip Advisor.

While we are extremely elated to hear that you found our beaches, pools, drinks and rooms to be fantastic we are also saddened to learn that you were not entirely pleased with the food and entertainment. We will be directing your comments to the respective heads of department for their consideration in the hopes that should you return to our hotel that we will be able to exceed your expectations.

New York, NY
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We were married at the Beach resort but told everyone to stay at the Suites because of the good reviews we read on here. We were not disappointed. The service and the food was really great and the rooms were excellent.

I just read another review raving about Jules at the pool bar and I want to second that. He learned my name on the first day and every time I walked passed the area I heard it being screamed out. I also would like to commend Lance at the Front Desk for also helping with a lot of things that we needed help with. Things like that make the trip memorable.

I know for a fact that all of our wedding guests also had a great time and they utilized everything the resort had to offer. Between the catamaran trip, kayaking, the club, the shows, the bars, everything; everyone had a great time. We even had people dancing at the pool and on the Magic Carpet.

I would definitely recommend staying at this resort and I would think about going again.

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and staff here at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites I would like to thank you for choosing to spend your vacation with us and also for taking the timeout of your busy schedule to share with other travellers here on Trip Advisor your review of your recent stay with us.

It has indeed been an honor to have been given the privilege of hosting your wedding at our sister resort and we are thrilled to know that we provided you with an amazing holiday.
We are filled with pride to learn that you were pleased with the food, the service, the rooms, entertainment and our courteous and friendly staff.

Once again, thank you for choosing Iberostar and we look forward to your return trip to our hotel.

Hamilton, NJ
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel has undoubtedly earned its solid four star rating. The staff is extremely courteous and friendly, available to help at one's first beck and call.
The dining options are much more numerous than your typical All-Inclusive resorts offer. There are 6 a la carte restaurants. We would highly recommend Mare Nostrum (Mediterranean and first-class sea-food) and Calabash (gourmet, fine dining, small portions). Important word of advice: try to reserve all your restaurants on the day of your arrival, for they all get booked pretty fast and one risks either not to get a restaurant of their choice or to get a very late seating (8:30 PM). The buffet options and varieties are abundant, there is everything for everyone's taste, health choices, Jamaican corner, burgers, omelets counter, cold cuts, sea food, salads, exotic fruits, cheeses, desserts, etc. The room service options are decent, your orders are typically delivered within 45 minutes or less.
Another words of advice for the wine lovers. Do NOT get any of the so-called "extra-wines" from a very nice and charming sommelier you will see on the property. The prices are exorbitant. For a bottle of wine retailing for $20 you will be charged $60.
The Wi-Fi is OK, but doesn't really work in the beach area. To save your time you should know that BOTH your user name and your password is your room number.
Important! Save your money on souvenir shopping and do it at one of the several hotel shops. We all think that hotel prices are usually much higher, and that is true. But only comparing to the prices in the city (Montego Bay). However, to get to the city you have to use a taxi, and the rate for a round-trip is $60, so all your saved money is going to be cancelled out by the cost of your cab. Now, the free shuttle that is offered from the hotel goes only to one destination, the Shoppes at Rose Hall. The prices there are HIGHER that in the hotel's souvenir shops, even after negotiating.
The beach is very nice, some areas (when getting into the sea) are somewhat rocky but easy to avoid. The water sports are limited, there no jet skis, neither there are any boat cruises or sunset sailing trips, only catamarans.
We don't really have any negative comments to post. Honestly, there were a few issues but all of them would belong to a nitpicking domain. Having said that, there are three problems to be considered.
First, the overall dampness/moldiness, both in the rooms and in the public areas. This is, however, intrinsic to numerous beach resorts, so one just got to deal with it.
Secondly, the pools. Both pools, the main and the 'volleyball' ones are of very modest sizes. Comparing to the neighboring sister property Iberostar Beach, they are rather miniscule. The "volleyball" pool when taken by raucous players, is impossible to use altogether.
The last but not least important is that walks options are severely limited. The resort is located in the middle of nowhere and gated. A walk on the hotel's beach would last 10 minutes back and forth. So basically, eating, drinking, laying by the pool, and attending evening shows (and perhaps a night club) are the only options one gets. But that's what All-inclusive all about, isn't it?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and staff at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to express our deepest gratitude for choosing to be guests at our hotel and also for sharing with others here on Trip Advisor, your view of how your holiday went with us.

It certainly gives us a feeling of satisfaction to know that you were pleased with the rooms, the wide variety of delicious food, and our courteous and friendly staff. We are dispirited to have learned that you found the rooms and public areas to be damp/ moldy, but please rest assured that this will be forwarded to the appropriate head of department for careful deliberation. As a note, regarding jet-skis, these are not allowed in this area, as we are a part of the Montego Bay Marine park, and the use of these will damage the area

In closing I would like to thank you once again for choosing Iberostar and we sincerely look forward to hosting you

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at the resort the first week in November 2013 and had an amazing time! So much so that I didn't want to leave and wanted to stay another week!! Unfortunately my job wouldn't allow this so we had to come back. I read a lot of the reviews on this site before we left and I was so happy that we chose this resort! From start to finish everything and everybody was wonderful! Tipping is not required, but I will tell you that it is great appreciated by the staff. We had planned on this and glad we did because the service was so good they needed to be rewarded. Everywhere you went either someone was cleaning or asking you how your stay is going and if they can get you anything. I believe the resort is what you make of it. If you are the type to nit pick then you will find things that are wrong, however we are not that type and I wouldn't have changed a thing. I will tell you that if you expect a drink when you walk into the door, you will be disappointed as this did not happen. However, there is a bar directly across from the front desk for you to help yourself, which we did! The drink glasses are about 12oz so if you want more then that I suggest to bring your own cup and they will fill it no matter how big it is. We will do this for next time!

Check in is at 3pm and not any earlier so be forewarned! It is a quick and easy process and the desk staff was helpful. Your bags will be taken to your room for you by the bellhop. The room and view was amazing. We stayed in 4221 and it had a great view. We were overlooking the lazy river and could see the ocean from our room. I enjoyed the balcony as well which was very nice. The buffet is plentiful for an all inclusive so if you go hungry it is your own fault! They have different selections most nights, as lunch and breakfast are pretty much the same. There is also a jerk chicken hut on the beach which I heard was very good, but I was too full from breakfast to eat there. Maybe next time! All of the A La Carte restaurants were wonderful and also included. We ate at all 4 with the Mediterranean and Steakhouse being my favorite. There are places in the lobby to book tours and excursions. We booked with Jacqueline in the tour office to the left of the lobby bar! She was very helpful and had wonderful advice! We booked the Dunns River Falls and Dolphin Cove.

All of the staff were wonderful including the Star Friends! I recommend seeing the Tutti Fruti Variety Show. It was very funny and we laughed the entire time. Also you might want to be around the pool deck between 300-330pm for the dance party. The Star Friends do a couple line dances and then they have some games afterwards. The dance off competition and the magic carpet were my favorite! Very funny. I will warn you that if you try and nap around this time and your room is around the pool, good luck! Sleep before or after because they uses microphone and sound system so it does get loud and you can hear it from your room. It is quite in the evening and the door that separates the room from the bathroom helps cut down noise so I suggest shutting it before you go to bed. There is stuff to do all times of the day and night. If you wish to participate you may or just relax on the beach/pool and watch.

We met a lot of great people as well as made friends with some of the staff. We will defiantly be staying at this resort again the next time we visit Jamaica. The only thing that I would change would to be having a do not disturb sign for the door. You have people coming in at different times of the day. Morning is housekeeping, afternoon is minibar restocking and evening is night time turn down service. So be prepared for knocking. Other then that we will defiantly be back! To mention a few of the staff that made our stay more enjoyable was Neasha, Nadine, Lisa, Cassandra and Lishindra. Also StingRay, MoMo, China, and Sweatness were all great on the Star Friends side. Great Resort!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Let me begin by thanking you for choosing to spend your holiday with us here at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites and for taking the time to post your detailed review of your stay with us here on Trip Advisor.

We are truly honored to have contributed to making your holiday a superb one and we also very much appreciated you making special mention about our luxurious rooms, and the friendly and efficient service delivered by several different departments especially the Star Friends and Bars and Restaurant teams. Your kind words will be forwarded to the respective managers to congratulate their staff on a job well done.

We regret to learn that you were not provided with a Do Not Disturb sign in your room or a welcome drink upon arrival; however, rest assured that we will be directing this to the respective manager for them to be aware and put the applicable corrective measures in place.

Once again we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar and we genuinely hope that if when returning to our beautiful island of Jamaica, you will again consider Iberostar, as we would consider it an absolute privilege to serve you again at our hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Iberostar Rose Hall Suites is a very solid all inclusive resort. I think it should get a 4.5 out of 5 stars. My Wife and I went there for 5 days for a wedding last week. We went with a number of our friends, with some staying at the Rose Hall Suites and some staying at the Rose Hall Beach. This gave us a great opportunity to experience both resorts including the rooms, food, beach, and pool. Everyone from our trip agreed that the additional cost for the Rose Hall Suites over the Rose Hall Beach was well worth the price, the main reason being the better food options, and better room quality & size. As I always do, I will break down this review into 3 sections: The Good, The Bad, and Things to Know/Do.

The Good:
Bar Staff is Outstanding: Every bartender there is your immediate friend and they do a great job of making any sort of drink you can think up including flaming shots. They often offer you shots and always top off your beers, as well as keep things lively. In one case we had made friends with a couple of the bartenders and one of them followed us to the Discotheque from the main lobby bar just to serve us (as we are pretty good tippers and this was a big group).

Grounds and Amenities Top Notch: The actual resort looks well maintained and has a decent selection of activities and amenities (Ping Pong, Pool Games, A water Polo Pool, a Lazy River(note it is extremely lazy), and a great beach with clean water). Getting a spot around the pool or at the beach was really easy unlike other resorts that I have been. The main lobby is huge and there is plenty of places around the resort to sit, relax and enjoy the great weather. The pool is very near the beach and includes an Infinity edge that overlooks the beach (great for catching the last rays of sunlight in the afternoon).

Discotheque is pretty Amazing: The disco is located between the Rose Hall Suites and the Rose Hall Grand, pretty far away from all of the rooms. It is smaller version of a large disco you would find in Acapulco or Miami, and I have been told it is the best bar/disco of all of the resorts. We went a couple of nights and it was packed every time we went. One night they had great American music (90s Rap/Rock, including This is How we Do it by Montel Jordan a personal favorite) the next night they played more Jamaican music.

Mostly High Quality Rooms with small issues: The rooms were overall very nicely put together with a lot of sq. ft. and were nicely decorated. Every room pretty much has a view of the Ocean due to the U shape of the building, so don't pay up for the Ocean view rooms. Building 4 seemed to be the best building, compared to building 3. Some of our friends that stayed in building 3 had issues with their rooms including some mold and smells. Also for some reason the phone handsets for multiple rooms smelled like feet. The rooms varied in there ability to be either really cold or not cold enough, we got a room that was a chilly 25 Celsius.

The Bad:
Wifi Issues: The WIFI is free but you need a password to access it. And getting a working password is like pulling teeth from the front desk. Multiple times they “Ran out of passwords”, which seemed crazy to just about every guest. They really need to fix this WIFI password system if they want a 5 star review.

Restaurant Reservation System was Terrible: They employ an very restrictive restaurant reservation system, in which they restrict the number of “open” tables to a very small amount. When you actually get into one of the restaurants they are always half full, which is likely just a way to force you to eat at the buffet. Getting a reservation for the day of is unheard of, you need to get your reservations ASAP when you get there. Also don't be a jerk and get a reservation then not go, your ruining it for the rest of us.

Food Quality (Other than the French Restaurant) was just ok: The buffet food quality is average for this type of all-inclusive resort. Lots of the same stuff over and over, and you get really sick of the buffet. We ate at the Mexican restaurant the second night and it was about on par with the buffet. The Lobster was good, but you only got a half of Lobster instead of a hole one. The last night we eat at the French restaurant (Called Gourmet Restaurant) and it was actually really good. The steaks were well cooked, the appetizers were good, and the presentation was great. If I could do it all over I would have gone to the French Restaurant every night. We were not able to go to the Steakhouse during our stay but multiple people said it was on par with the French Restaurant. Room Service quality was poor and it took forever (over an hour in some cases).

Nightly Entertainment was almost non-existent: Other than a Beach Party on Saturday night I don’t think they had any shows worth watching, although I think they had a comedy show one night. At night your best bet is the Disco, or the Sports bar at the Beach Resort which you have access to.

Things to Know/Do:
Always tip but keep it small: You don’t have to tip any more then $1 for drinks and a couple of bucks for everything else, but always have tip money on you. The service deserves it and it makes everyone better. You can change money at the front desk to get more dollar bills.
Go to the Disco: It will blow your mind.

Don’t go to the Mexican Restaurant unless its 2am: For some reason they open the Mexican restaurant from 1am to 6am for late night eats (might only be on weekends). It’s awesome when you are hammered.

Get your Dinner Reservations early.

Eat at the Buffet in between the Suites and the Beach: There is an open air Buffet that is for guests of the Suites located on the beach walkway between the Suites and the Beach. Much better food then the Buffet near the lobby, and a better view.

If you lose your towel card/towel, just wait around by the towel shack and steal a towel (or try to distract the lady and grab one) then give it back to them and get a towel card. They try to make you pay $10 if you lose a towel or someone takes yours. Which is crazy.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better, as always in tropical regions the ground floors get moldy and smelly ea...