“Fifth Time - Not So Great”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fifth Time - Not So Great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

So much went wrong this time...upon arrival no drink!!!!!! Our rooms were not what we had requested! We got a room with 2 queen beds not a king, after coming there so many times you would think we could have a king bed...they claimed they were full to capacity which was not the case. Upon arrival they initially had us on the ground floor. It took giving 2 girls $20.00 each to get moved to a higher floor (no rooms)??? Money sure does talk...to get a room on a upper floor but then we had separate beds!!!! Good thing it wasn't our honeymoon. Towels for the pool and beach were certainly showing their age, some threadbare. The food this time wasn't that great either, not that we expect great food at an all-inclusive but in the past the food was much better. The lobster was really mushy!!!! I could go on but I think you get the idea, maybe if it's your first time, you will enjoy it.
The staff are extremely pleasant and nice. We thought the Star Friends slacked off more than in the past. Not that much interaction like past years.
I think we will go elsewhere next year. We've been coming to Jamaica for 8 years now, every year the last week in March. Great weather, water temperature perfect!!! We were really disappointed this time, so iberostar as much as we loved coming year after year, we will not be returning to your hotel.
Also, just wanted to add that last year since we were there so many times we were upgraded to The Grand, this year, not even offered. We don't expect royal treatment by any means but when some of the staff remember you and most of the server staff remember you and actually want to serve you because you give good "tips" you know that you are a regular. I'm just saying!!!!

Maybe in a few years, God willing, we will try it again but for next year, we will try another place. I'll keep you posted!!!!

Room Tip: They claim you get what you get when you get there but in the past we've always gotten a room wi...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathy P
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dar guest,

We would first of all like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Hotel once again for your vacation. We appreciate your loyalty to our company as we always seek to provide our guest with the best hospitality service there is which would keep them returning and create a memorable experience.

We regret to know that you were displeased with your last visit to resort and your review has been forwarded to the management to look deeper into the matters you’ve expressed in your comments. Just so you know; it is not mandatory for you to tip any of our staff this gesture is entirely up to your discretion as this should not have an effect on the level of service that you receive during your vacation.

Once again we appreciate your choice for vacating with us once more and thanks again for choosing IBEROSTAR.

Online Reputation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,036)
  • Czech first
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Overall, Rose Hall has a lot going for it:

Twenty minutes max to the airport.
Clean.
Easy.

If you're looking for a vanilla vacation with no surprises either good or bad this might be the place.

A few caveats on my review:

I'm not a fan of all-inclusive hotels. It has been my experience that there is an emphasis on quantity over quality. The Rose Hall Suites were no exception.

I didn't go with any intent on checking out the entertainment which is a big draw for many of the guests so I can't speak to that at all.

Basically I was there for a three day break with my college-bound daughter. We read by the pool most days and were not interested in partying.

Accommodations: Very nice. Clean rooms. Spacious and well appointed. Wifi great in room. Wifi very good on pool deck. Other exterior locations almost non-existent for most part.

Had a good massage in the spa. A tad on the pricey side but not enough to be a deal killer.

Staff: Mostly very helpful to extremely helpful with one exception I am not going to discuss in this review because it was the result of a reservation modification that 99.9% of you probably won't experience.

Food: Breakfast was strong. Some traditional island fare. A couple omelet stations. All sorts of breakfast meats and fish. Mediocre pastry. Yogurt, fresh fruit. Something for everyone.

Lunch was okay...many of the same brunch foods from breakfast and more lunch type choices. Deli meat, cheese tray...I recommend going to one of the smaller venues serving lunch rather than the large one in the main hotel.

Dinner: Nothing to write home about. Went to Japanese place one night...kinda Benihana vibe. Aunt Ruby's Steak house one night...okay but nothing to make your heart race. Can't remember the other place. Bottom line: don't go to one of these places because you're a foodie or expecting a memorable meal and you'll be fine.

Bottom line: if you have a limited budget and want easy this might be ideal.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank JasonAB
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacation. Thank you for taking the time to share with us and the online community your review about the vacation experience you had here at the Rose Hall Suites property in Jamaica. We are pleased to know that you were satisfied with your vacation and for highlighting the room’s cleanliness and the Wi-Fi that is offered. Once again thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR and for sharing your opinions with us.

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was our first time to an Iberostar resort and we were so pleased with the service, food, rooms, and cleanliness. It is definitely a 5 star hotel. The staff is very friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. We have two children (10 and 9) and they loved all the activities, pool and beautiful beach. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Make sure to get an ocean view room. It costs more but well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Anne M
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at IBEROSTAR. We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community your experience at our Rose Hall Suites Property in Jamaica.

We are delighted to know that you were pleased with our service, rooms and activities for the children. We will share this feedback with our staff and congratulate them we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our stay at this resort was amazing. It is a true 5 star hotel will everything that goes with it... service, cleanliness, great food, drinks, and facilities.
The staff are all great. Iberostar is well known for their staff training program. The staff here will compete with the best hoteliers in the world. Super friendly and genuinely interested in how you are enjoying your stay. We canceled our maid service one morning and called at 7:30pm just to get towels. When we got back from dinner our whole room had been made up.
The room was very nice with good a/c, ceiling fan, big bathroom, and balcony. We were in a pool view room and it was great. Minibar is complimentary but is only stocked with soda and nasty beer.
The buffet restaurants were both very good, but the true gem at this hotel is the specialty restaurants. Make your reservations for the whole week the day you get there because the earlier times tend to fill up. We don't mind eating late (7:30-8:30ish) so we were still able to get reservations for the same day. Only downside with the food is that all the restaurants are closed from 5:30-6:30 while they setup for dinner.
Drinks are included and there are bars in just about every public space serving top shelf liquor. Bartenders were well trained and had no trouble mixing up a manhattan or tom collins. (Both of which I switched to because the sugary drinks will hurt you more than the alcohol).
The hotel has a full schedule of activities every day including tennis lessons, spinning, stretching, volleyball tournaments, and other games. I had a nearly private lesson every day with the tennis pro (no charge). Spinning classes were popular and filled up 45 min before the class starts.

One complaint is than the beach wasn't great. There are much better beaches on other parts of the island (i.e. Negril). The hotel has a man-made reef where there are some fish, but the wind made the water rough and snorkeling was bad.
Also, when staying in the resort we like to get out of the resort and see how locals live. The hotel isn't located close to anything so you need a taxi to get anywhere. The tours on offer at the hotel were over priced and very "touristy"--although this is probably the same everywhere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at IBEROSTAR. We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community the experience you had here at the Rose Hall Suites Property.

We are extremely proud to have contributed to making your vacation a memorable one. With that being said; your comments the service, cleanliness, food, restaurant, drinks, facilities and the staff motivates us to continue aiming towards providing excellent hospitality to our valued guest.

In addition we will share this review with the staff and congratulate them on their effort which resulted in creating an amazing vacation for you and your family. Once again we appreciate your choice of our company and we look forward to seeing you again.

Smyrna, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I visited the Grand in August with girlfriends and couldn't wait to come back with my family. I traveled with my husband, kids (10 & 12) and parents. We visited the first week in April for spring break. Rather than repeat what the other posters wrote, I'll just leave a few tips.

1. We used a reggae tours private transfer from the airport. Well worth it!
2. The Japanese restaurant was completely booked for our entire stay, but if you persist, they make it happen.
3. There's freshly popped popcorn at the lobby bar starting at 3.
4. The evening shows are supposed to be family friendly, but the "Ideal Couple" show was inappropriate for kids. There were a few cringe-worthy segments, and then we finally left when they pulled a mattress on stage.
5. The beach party lunch has the BEST jerk chicken, steak & pork!!
6. Don't count on wi-fi in the rooms. The connection in the lobby was spotty at best.
7. They contract with Digipix to take candids and posed pics around the resort. Getting the pics is a nightmare. After waiting for over an hour, twice, I never did get my pics - long lines and a slow system. Also, I agreed to a photo shoot after the lady told me the pics started at $8 each. When I went to pick up the pics, the cheapest option was 10 pics for $110.
8. The kids LOVED the pina coladas and Jamaican Smiles. They've already tried to recreate the latter since we've been home.
9. The Caribbean sun is SERIOUS. Don't skimp on the sun screen, and don't count on the resort store to have sun burn remedies. GOD BLESS the gardener that overheard my plight and went to find me some aloe vera that was growing on the grounds! My mom and daughter will be forever grateful!
10. The juice bar at breakfast is the best! Carrot, guava, banana, apple, orange, pineapple, honey dew, cantaloupe, and many more!

All in all, I fell in love again and I highly recommend! We'll be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Anika B
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR once more for your vacation. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your review with us and the online community about your vacation experience here at the Rose Hall Suites Hotel.

We are pleased to know that you had a chance to experience the Japanese Restaurant as this can be somewhat of a challenge since this restaurant is located at the Rose Hall Beach hotel and majority of the spaces are occupied by their guest.

It pleases us to know however; that in spite of a few issues you’ve mentioned about your stay here with us; you’ve had an overall great time and enjoyed the features of the property and the hospitality provided by our friendly staff members.

We will share your review with the staff and congratulate them on their efforts in ensuring that you had a great experience at the IBEROSTAR Rose Hall Suites hotel. We look forward to seeing you again and thanks for choosing IBEROSTAR.

St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just returned from a 7 day stay at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites with my boyfriend, sister, and her boyfriend. One word - Fantastic! Welcome drink upon arrival, fast check-in, clean room, comfortable bed, and everything else you would expect to get out of an all inclusive vacation. When we first got settled into our room, our WiFi connection was not working. I reported it to guest services and they reset the router and had the issue fixed within a few hours which was more than perfect for me. I knew from right then that the service was going to be amazing, and it was throughout the week. I am a beach bum so a good beach is important to me. The beach was awesome! Spacious and clean, no trouble to get a chair. Servers make their rounds on the beach if you'd like them to grab you a drink. They even walked around in the morning with a tray of glasses of water, which I thought was a really nice touch not having to ask for it. The reason my review loses one rating is due to the fact that the swim up bar/main swimming pool area was peppered with children. I do not spend my time drinking at the bar, however I like to change up the view and lay beside the pool sometimes. If relaxing beside the pool is in mind, you can forget that. I wouldn't mind, but my issue was that there was a large, kid-wonderland on the opposite side of the resort, complete with a full in-pool playground, games, and other play areas. If I were a child, you would have to haul me out of there at the end of the day, however, to our surprise, it was completely VACANT. Not a single child! Obviously, it's the parents wanting to hang by the swim up bar pool, so I guess they'd rather have the kids with them which is understandable. Just don't expect a quiet poolside, that's all, head back down to the beach for your quiet time. (The Grand Hotel next door is adults only if you really can't deal with the children). They also played the same music everyday, some songs on repeat, which was quite tiring, we requested that they change it up a bit but they didn't. I'd suggest that they add a few more songs to their playlist! Not a huge deal but it's just the little things like that. All-in-all, a great relaxing week for the 4 of us. Be sure to book as many al la carte nights as possible. The buffet was amazing, but the restaurants were a real treat. If you're already booked for this hotel, sit back, relax, stop reading bad reviews, and have no worries. You're going to love it.

Room Tip: A few days prior or arrival, I emailed the hotel (found on their webpage) and requested a high-floor...
3 Thank Meaghan56
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacation. As you have mentioned in your review here on trip advisor that you had a fantastic time; we would just like to extend our appreciation for you taking the time to share with us and the online community your experience at the Rose Hall Suites Property in Jamaica.

It is our objective as a top-brand hotel chain to ensure that our valued guest receives the highest level of hospitality service during their stay here. We will forward your review with the staff and congratulate them on their efforts in ensuring that you had a memorable time. Also be advised that we have noted a few issues you consider to be minor but these issues as been noted and we will have it forward to the management. Once again we appreciate your choice of vacating here at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property and we look forward to seeing you soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I needed somewhere to get away and relax. Just chill. Wind down from a busy family life. This is exactly what we got.. and more! This hotel is super clean, super beautiful and the service was fantastic. Staff could not have been friendlier and more helpful. The beds were so comfortable.. the food was excellent and plenty of healthier options. We never left the resort.. and skipped out on a few planned excursions because we didn't care to! The sea was clear, calm and warm. The weather was perfect. Location is a great.. short trip from the airport. We loved it.. came home feeling rejuvinated. We will absolutely return!

3 Thank Tuck7_10
Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacation. We appreciate you taking the time to share with us and the online community a review on your stay here at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites property in here in Jamaica. We are happy to know that you did a have a great time. Thanks again for choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacation; we look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,844 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!