“Dissapointed”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked Iberostar Suites because we stayed there 2 yrs ago and had a wonderful time. Nothing was as good as the first time. Food just average. Shows were much shorter and not near as good. Beach party wasn't even worth going to. There was nothing to do at the resort this time. Drinks were watered down. Also, everyone wanted a tip! This got really old. They wouldn't wait on you after they found out you weren't going to tip.
Also, shower head didn't work.(just dripped literally) Had to have someone work on our safe 3 times.
Booked the Luminous lagoon trip. Don't! The crew on boat drank all the liquor that was supplied for the guests and smoked weed the entire trip. Very unprofessional, as there were children onboard. They made us stop and get off the boat before we got to the lagoon because they said it wasn't dark enough yet. We got bit up by what they said was sandflies. We think there was another purpose for this stop!!! We were only stopped for a few minutes when they said to get back on boat. Very Fishy!
I am not a hard person to please. I just expected the suites to be the same quality it was 2 yrs ago when we went. Its really gone downhill.We had taken friends with us that had not been to Jamacia before and had really talked up this hotel. Felt really bad>
Overall, very boring trip. Will go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
4  Thank Joann C
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing Iberostar Rose Hall Suites once again for your vacation. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions with us and the online community. We regret to know that you were disappointed with the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites while vacating with us compared to two years ago which you preferred. Your comments have been taken into consideration and will be reviewed by the management team as this is not a true depiction of the hotel standard that we uphold her at the Rose hall Suites property in Jamaica.

Once again we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR and it as a pleasure having you here.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Overall nice place with good facilities and a nice buffet, especially the Jamaican dishes. Service was ok but sometime slow, especially check-in. Nice beach and a great place for sailing, whether you are experienced or a beginner. Kids club was ok and pool was nice.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank MakatiJoe
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing Iberostar Rose Hall Suites for your vacation. We are pleased to know that you found our resort to be a great one. Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and we appreciate you choosing our resort for your vacation. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Reservations:

The reservations for this property were a little confusing to do online. We also had some difficulties communicating with the property to arrange reservations and transportation. The resort does not offer transportation so you will have to arrange it on your own. We were also given conflicting information on dinner reservations. We were first told when we booked that we could not make those reservations until 2-weeks prior to arrival. When that window arrived we were then told we needed to make them upon arrival.

Check-in:

Our family arrived at about 2:30pm to check in. We were met by staff who began the check-in process, then presented to us our room keys, towel cards (which must be exchanged for towels and cost $10USD for each card not returned at check-out), and an itinerary of events for the week. The desk staff then took back all of these things and told us we could not check in until 3:00pm. We then decided to kick off our vacation they way we know how and went to the lobby bar for a beverage. Both bartenders behind the bar were far from pleasant. Their personalities were the last thing I wanted to encounter after a long day of travel and now having to wait to get into our room. I know folks have bad days but the only reason I mention this is that these two women were rude the entire time we were there.

Just before 3pm my wife suggested I go back up and try to check in again. I looked at the clock behind the check-in desk and it read 2:56pm. I now speak to another desk staff and request to check in. She advises me that check in is at 3pm. I literally stared at her for a second, then politely informed her of the time and that we had already started the process and just needed our keys. She then advised that our room was not ready and that I should check back at 3pm. NOTE: This happened to another couple who had attempted to check in at 2:55pm.

Rooms - Oceanview Junior Suite:

We stayed in a king bed ocean front room located on the beach facing the ocean. The room was clean and we had no bug issues. On a side note, the balconies are semi-private with a 3/4 concrete wall separating you and the room next to you. So you don't see them, but you do hear them. When we arrived we had a small table on our balcony but no chairs. After a call to the front desk two chair were brought however it took several hours. This also happened with another request to the front desk for extra laundry bags. They were eventually brought to us but it took an inordinate amount of time.

The view was really nice. As you stand on the balcony the sun rises to your right and will set on your left. The view of the sunrise is beautiful and unobstructed, however the sunset is not fully viewable but still very nice.

Restaurants:

Buffet: The two buffets at the Suites were decent. We traveled with two younger children and none of us got sick. I will say we watched slightly what we ate with the kids eating most things that were freshly cooked. The fruit was very good. I will caution you to check the date on the pre-packaged yogurt as the "use by" date was normally the next day.

Aunt Ruby Steakhouse: We ate here first and enjoyed the food. The steaks were excellent and we would highly recommend this place.

Maria Bonita Mexican: This place was also very nice with decent Mexican fare. The service was VERY slow. I was a little disappointed as this restaurant had freshly made guacamole that was fantastic, and was different than the pre-packaged guacamole found at the buffets, however once it was gone it was never replenished.

Samurai Japanese: Do not waste your time here. The chefs were very entertaining and the appetizer of sushi rolls were very good. Everything else was very bad. The fried rice was not made the traditional way and instead they put a Caribbean spin on it using local seasonings and ingredients. Not what I was expecting. The chicken was just okay, again made with seasonings and sauces that one would not associate with Japanese cooking, and the steak was terrible as it had a heavy iron taste like it has been sitting in its own blood. The hood fans above the grills were so strong that they literally sucked the A/C out of the restaurant making it extremely hot and muggy inside.

Kids Club:

We were pleasantly surprised with the kids club as this was never fully explained to us. The kids club, located between the Suites resort and the Beach resort, opens at 10am every day and you can leave your kids with staff there who do activities with them throughout the day including take them to lunch. They close at 5pm and have activities boards around the resort detailing what activities will be occurring each day and time.

Two big complaints with this service. One, we discover later when we talked to the kids that the "activities" that they announce, such as face painting, making sand bottles, etc., never occurred. Now some of the activities did take place, but not all and the kids simply sat in the kids club and watched TV or played bingo. Our littlest was slightly disappointed when the more exciting activities did not happen. This happened almost daily. The other complaint is when one of the main staff members complained to us and other parents present, that she was sick and moreover, suffering from a bad fever. When a couple of us suggested that she may not want to come to work the next day (as she is around kids all day long) she advised us that she had to work as she needed the money. Ugh - okay. The fact that she was sick and visibly sweating, and the failure of doing the planned activities, may be related but I can't be 100% sure. Thankfully none of us got sick but we were not pleased with this information. We really felt that management, given her position in the Kids Club, should have placed her somewhere else in the resort other than working with children.

Despite my complaints the staff was very friendly and appeared to have taken very good care of the children. I would not hesitate using the Kids Club, however don't go into this program expecting that your child(ren) will be doing all the stated activities.

Tipping:

At home I am a tipper. Being away at an AI resort I don't necessarily want to be. We tipped everywhere we went except the buffet and this appeared to be the excepted practice. We also tipped one of the poolside servers as her service to us was very excellent.

Staff:

Our opinion about the staff was that you either received really good service or really bad service. There was no in-between. This was disappointing.

Grounds:

The grounds were pretty well maintained however we noticed large alcohol spills in the lobby stairs that were not cleaned up for quite some time and one of the decorative pools / fountains located at the entrance way to the lobby from inside the resort never worked the time we were there. We also noticed a cockroach on one of paintings in the first floor hallways and another cockroach on another day on the second floor hallway floor. Not entirely uncommon for tropical locations but still....

Transportation:

Transportation to and from the resort is your responsibility. We used Kiuki Tours / Transportation to the resort and booked a private car for $50USD online. We were disappointed when the private car turned out to be a private shuttle. We did not complain but we did not get what we paid for.

On the way back to the airport we used PPP Tran Tours and could not have been happier. Private van and great driver for $40USD. I will definitely use them again!

Overall:

Overall, we would not go back to this resort. We have stayed at other AI resorts in the Caribbean before and were not that impressed with what our $$$ got us. My wife and I have discussed possibly trying another Iberostar resort elsewhere, but we will not be back to this one. And not because of the Kids Club, or the staff, or the cockroaches, or the average food, but because of all of it together. We know that things can happen and are pretty easygoing, but added together it was just too many things for the money you pay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Dilligaf462

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacation. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such an extensive review on the vacation experience you’ve encountered here at the Rose Hall Suites Property in Jamaica.

We are pleased to know that you’ve found the view of our room that you were assigned to be a very nice one and also happy to know that you were pleased with the restaurants (in particular the Steakhouse and the main buffet restaurant). We are glad to know that you were pleased with the poolside waitress who you’ve considered to be excellent with the service that she offers also we are glad to hear that you’ve found our grounds to be well maintained; thank you for highlighting such as we ensure that we keep our grounds clean (Both internally and Externally).

Regarding booking dinner reservations prior to your arrival; this is only done for groups of TWELVE (12) or more which is normally done a week in advance. Having said that; we would just like to extend an apology for any misleading information that you may have received. We regret to know that you were displeased with the service by the Japanese restaurant and also the issues that you have mentioned with the Kids Club activities throughout the day and the staff that you’ve found to be lacking where customer service is concern regarding the accommodation of your kids. We would also use this medium and extend an apology for whatever inconvenience you’ve experience generally throughout your stay.

Even though you have mentioned about not returning to the Rose Hall Suites in Jamaica we are indeed pleased to have accommodated you for the time that was spent with us. Once again thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I actually managed an event at this venue, had some 160 participants and presenters. The event went well. The guest were truly impressed with the hotel and the all inclusive package. it was challenging to work with most of the hotel on planning and rolling out the event. But a few of the middle managers were excellent, they made it worth it. Now to food, the buffet has a good variety, but I am concerned about the fact that it is left out and not heated properly. I had a good 20% of my guest with stomach problems. The fish was almost always off no matter what form. Please don't eat at the Japanese restaurant, mind you the chef is very entertaining food is awful. The rooms at the Suites are great. A blessing is the sauna and spa. A reminder, there is the Beaches, the Suites and the Grand so be clear where you are staying and where you can go.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Maureen W

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to know that you have chosen IBEROSTAR to host such a large group for your event. It pleases us to know that we have made a good impression on the participants and presenters of this group. We are also pleased to know that you were impressed by our rooms and also you’ve found our managers to be excellent ones in regards to the event.

We regret to know that you’ve found the food at the Japanese restaurant to be awful but happy to know that you were entertained by the chef. Once again we appreciate you choosing IBEROSTAR and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Took my family to celebrate my husband birthday and it was fantastic that he did not want to leave. Everyone in my family felt the same way. Staff was excellent seou chef Leroy went above and beyond and prepared a special lunch for my husband and came down by the beach to find us and surprised him. He was so happy that going forward we have decided to use your hotel on our next visit to Jamaica in August of this year. Amazing staff

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Sandra W

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you have chosen the IBEROSTAR to celebrate your husband’s birthday. As we continue to improve our services we are indeed motivated to know that you had enjoyed you stay while vacating with us. We will share your comments with the staff and congratulate them on their hard work in particular chef Leroy who went above and beyond to prepare a special lunch for your husband. Once again thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR and we look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had a great time at this resort. The people were nice and the resort was beautiful. The only negative thing I have to say is that on the second last day we were there my daughter wasn't feeling well and threw up on the ground in our room. I called room service to let them know that she had thrown up and they said they would have some come up to mop it up for us. We waited 2 hours in the room with the throw up smell (my daughter was sleeping at this time and we cleaned up what we could) and no one showed up. I made another followup call to room service and even the lady on the phone was surprised when I told her no one has come as yet. She mentioned she would have some one come right away. We ended up waiting an hour more before the regular nightly towel lady came to visit and asked if we needed anymore towels. We mentioned we did and explained the situation to her and that we have been waiting for about 3hours for someone to come from room service to mop the floor. The nice lady ended up mopping the floor for us when it wasn't even her that was suppose to do it. She just happen to pass by. I did get a call back from room service a couple minutes after the nice lady left asking if we still needed someone to come by to mop as they saw that other nice lady leaving our room and guessing she mentioned to that person who was suppose to do it that she did it already. I was very upset with the service that day. It also did not help that on that same day, I had called guest services for a box of milk for my daughter at 11am and did not get the box until 9pm after I had made another followup call to guest services to remind them about the milk.

2  Thank Joanne T

Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity that you have given us by choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacation. We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us on the vacation experience you had here at the Rose Hall Suites property. It’s great to know that you found our resort to be a great one as this perception motivates us to continue providing our valued guest with great hospitality service while vacating with us.

We regret to know that you have had several issues while vacationing with us. We would like to use this medium and extend our sincere apologies for the delay of your room cleaning and milk request. This is certainly not a true depiction of the services that we offer at this resort.

Once again we appreciate you choosing the IBEROSTAR and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My family and I stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites for 8 days/7nights in May 2014. Overall the property is AMAZING. The entire staff (1 exception – see below) was very pleasant/helpful at all times. The grounds were well maintained and clean. The kids club was awesome. Nakeisha and Melissa were very energetic and fun. The restaurants were all great, including the buffet. We never had a bad meal. The amenities – snorkeling, kayaking, etc.- were adequate. The beach was private (no one walking on beach trying to sell you things) and had adequate number of beach chairs, both under cover or in the sun.
I only have 3 negative comments to make. First, the fitness center lacked air flow. It was extremely warm in there which made it very uncomfortable to workout. I would recommend putting some stationary fans to circulate the air a little. Second, the front desk staff was not very friendly and not very informative upon check in. We arrived around 4pm. There wasn’t anyone at the front to greet us or offer us a cold beverage. We had requested a room on a higher level when we made our reservation. This was never mentioned upon check in. We were just handed our keys in an envelope with a map of the property. Also, while we were checking in the clerk took a phone call in front of us for 5 minutes and never said excuse me or apologized for the delay. He offered no additional information- location of elevator, location of kids club, etc. In addition we left our luggage with the bell staff to have them delivered to the room. No one informed us that we needed to be in the room for them to deliver the luggage. This would have been nice to know since we immediately took our 2 young children who had been cooped up in an airplane for several hours to the beach/pool. The bell staff seemed annoyed because they attempted to come to our room 3 times. I understand and support the policy. It just would have been nice to know. Third, it would have been nice to have a list of special events that were happening on the property. For example, several days there were lunch BBQ’s on the beach. It would have been nice to know this was happening. The activity boards are located by the pool but they only show pictures of the normal daily activities but no verbal explanation. Perhaps a list of activities for the week can be provided upon check in. If you do not ask someone specifically you will never know what is going on. Overall, we had a great time. My children have already requested to go back.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the courtyard are quieter.