“EXCEPTIONAL!”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We just got returned from a fantastic five nights at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites. After reading some reviews, I was a bit concerned, but my travel agent had just had someone return from there and raved about it. We trusted her and are glad we did.

My husband, our 18-yr-old daughter, and I arrived on July 20th. The worst part of the trip was the immigration line in Montego Bay. I'm not sure if it was the time of day when most planes land, but that process took about an hour. The agent we had was exceptionally rude. Make sure you sign your departure form before you get there. Also, make sure you date it with date/month/year. Even though we were reprimanded for not using the correct format, the stamp he stamped on our form read July 20, 2014.

Upon arrival, we were given a welcome drink. Our room was located on the ground floor. We asked if we could not have a ground floor room and were told they were at capacity. We went to our room which overlooked the activity pool. The room was great so we thought "we're in Jamaica-we'll just close the blinds." While getting ready to get something to eat, we got a call that they had a cancellation and would move us to the 4th floor if interested. We said yes, and after we ate were moved to another room. That room overlooked the kiddie pool with a partial view of the ocean. The room had a superb king-size bed and a pull-out sofa, which was where my daughter slept. She said it was very comfortable.Again, the bed was heavenly. We had absolutely no problem with the air conditioning. Housekeeping services were inconsistent. One day we didn't get our room serviced, but we called down for fresh towels and they were immediately brought up. No big deal. Some nights we had turn-down service, others we didn't. Again, not a big deal. Another thing that was disappointing was that there was no conditioner in the bathroom. There were plenty of soaps, creams, shampoo, but no hair conditioner. By the third day, we had to buy some in the gift shop because my daughter has thick hair. We only brought carry-ons so we didn't bring toiletries with us.

The food was excellent with a great selection. We ate at the buffet all but one night, when we ate at the steak house. All restaurants other than the buffet require reservations. We did not like the steak house (which is the late-afternoon restaurant during the day). We all got filet mignon. It was not good. We much preferred the beef at the buffet. The selection at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner varied every day. Each day it was very good. There was always a vegetarian selection. I did see a guest asking about gluten-free, then saw a chef take a plate with food to her table (which I'm guessing he prepared exclusively for her). The servers were very friendly and attentive. We did tip at each meal, even though it was not required or expected. Our drinks were very good, as well. I was quite fond of the Jamaican Smile and the frozen margaritas. And there surely was not a shortage of liquor in each drink, as some have reported. It would have been nice to have a small restaurant/snack stand where you could just get a cookie or some fries without going to a full restaurant. There was no restaurant poolside. This would have been nice, but after being to some resorts that have a pool-side restaurant and have empty, dirty plates all over the chaises, it was nice not to see that.

The pool always had plenty of available chaise lounges, in the sun and in the shade, which was great. (Unlike the Atlantis where you had to slip the pool attendant $10 a day to "find" a chair for you.) The beach, too, had plenty of chaises and shade huts available. The beach in front of the Suites was a little rocky, but if you went a little bit down the beach closer to the Beach hotel, it was crystal clear. The Iberostar complex consists of the Grand, Suites, and Beach. If you stay at the Grand, you have access to all other resorts. If you stay at the Suites, you have access to the Suites and Beach. And if you stay at the Beach you don't have access to the others. You are allowed to walk the shoreline from one to the other, but there are security personnel stopping you on the beach if you don't have access. The Suites connects to the Grand and, again, you are stopped and not allowed to go to the Grand if you are not staying there. (The Grand is adults only).

I must especially praise the Star Friends - the young adults who are the "entertainment directors" at the resort. There are there from breakfast until after midnight. They coordinate pool games, provide evening entertainment, and are the all-around fun of the resort. The evening entertainment was better than most resorts we've been to. They never failed to impress!

My daughter did the Chukka Rose Hall Zip Line excursion which she loved. There were seven lines plus two "surprises." She said that it was a lot of fun, safe, and scenically beautiful. She also said that she would not suggest it for someone who does not enjoy the thrill ride type of feeling that you get in your stomach on roller coasters because (spoiler alert) the two surprises consist of straight down drops, one 95 feet and the other 45 feet. Although she said it was a little scary, it was very safe and very fun. We did the evening tour of the "Haunted" Rose Hall which was fun. And we all did the Bracco Stable horse-riding excursion. I hated it. Never want to ride a horse again. My husband and daughter enjoyed it. I'm not sure if the Chukka horse-riding tour would have been different, but the one we took consisted of a trail ride to the beach and then the horse was led around in a circle in a shallow section of the ocean. We were under the impression that the horse would actually swim in the ocean. After the "swim," it was a trail ride back to the stable. All of these excursions were booked at the hotel.

We had a truly enjoyable experience and cannot wait to go back. It was everything we had hoped for in a vacation.

1  Thank mmaaff
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your family vacation. We would like to thank you for taking the time to send us such a detailed review on how your vacation went with us.

We are sorry to hear about how your vacation started at the airport. However we are glad to know that our Front Desk was able to move you to a higher floor as requested. It is great to know that you were pleased with the room and we do apologize if the Housekeeping Service was inconsistent. As it relates to no conditioner being in your room; please note that the shampoo is actually a shampoo and conditioner combination and de apologize if this was not explained to you.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the food variety offered at our buffet and we are sorry o hear that you did not enjoy the Steakhouse restaurant. Our talented selection of chefs are able to accommodate (with notice) guest with varying meal allergies such as gluten free. It is great to know that you were pleased with the service provided by our staff as we thrive to maintain the wonderful service IBEROSTAR is known for.

Your comments provide a motivational factor as we continue to improve upon our service offering to all our guests at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property. We are happy to know that you enjoyed the activities and entertainment provided by our entertainment staff. It is good to know that you and your family experienced activities outside the hotel and we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the horseback riding.

Once again thank you for choosing to spend your family vacation at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property here in Jamaica and we are delighted to understand from your comments that you intend to return to our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife, four year old daughter and myself stayed here for 10 wonderful days in July and we absolutely loved it!
We had a room with a view of the Caribbean and it was so worth it to start the day by seeing the beautiful blue water and the beach just feet from our door. The room was large, clean and comfortable. The mini-bar was stocked with beer, soda and water and done so regularly. The beds were comfortable and clean. The double sinks in the bathroom turned out to be rather helpful when we were all trying to get ready in the morning. Having the tub option, as well as the shower, was useful with a rather unpredictable child.

The staff were incredibly friendly, helpful and welcoming. In particular, Roxie, Melissa and Nickiesha in the Kid's Club were over and above what I could have ever have expected. They were so wonderful with our daughter and Lily actually wanted to spend more time with them than us! Lily especially loved the Kids' Disco every night, either in the theater or on the beach where the kids were the stars of the show. As parents, we also enjoyed this show and even looked forward to it. Dale the bellman was very helpful in trying to get us a a cab to hire and Melonie in the buffet was so bright and cheerful every morning. Star Friends like Mo-Mo and Sweetness added a ton of life to the pool and beach areas.

The property is beautifully maintained by an army of groundskeepers. The pool area is constantly maintained and it is so clean and so beautiful. The infinity pool was my absolute favorite place. Hanging on the wall, as so many others did, taking in the Caribbean and just relaxing was my absolute favorite part of the trip.

The workout facility is smallish but use-able. There are a few racks of dumbbells and some machines. They also have treadmills and elliptical machines. There is an aerobic space downstairs although I did not personally use it myself. The weight room was busy so be prepared.

The food, which some have maligned here was very good. I will admit that there were some dishes that did tend to be dried out, like the pork dishes, but on the whole, the food was delicious. There was an array of fruits, vegetables, salads, meats, and deserts at every meal. I especially enjoyed the Bassa fish and the roasted chicken. The kids offerings, though not specifically labeled as such in the buffet (not that I saw anyway) was the usual nuggets, fries, pizza and pasta dishes. There was definitely something for every taste. I will say that where they fell down in the food department was dessert. With one or two exceptions, there was nothing that was really making me say I have to try that or have it again.

There were plenty of activities including beach and water volleyball, water aerobics, reggae dancing, beach soccer and bocce to keep people busy. Water sports like snorkleing, scuba lessons, kaying and sailing were also available. If you've not used a hobbecraft before, save yourself the $70 (US dollars, per couple) for the lesson and go watch a video on Youtube.

If you are bringing a child between 4 and 12, make sure that you have them check out the Kids' Club. It will give the parents some time off to relax and the kids will, I think, really enjoy it. They ladies who run the KC do a fantastic job and there is always something going on for the kids. Of course, the water park, next to the KC, should not be missed either. Our daughter absolutely loved it!

On the whole, I have no complaints. Yes, we did lose power in our room on our second day for about an hour and yes, the power did go out while eating at the steakhouse for about 15 minutes. No one minded and the steak was fantastic regardless of whether I could see it or not. We did have some issues with the air conditioning not functioning on the first night but that was quickly resolved and it worked without issue the remainder of our time there. None of these situations (there are no problems in Jamaica, only situations) were significant enough dampen our experience. We will definitely return and I encourage anyone thinking about visiting to do so. You will not be sorry.

Room Tip: Honestly, go with an ocean view. The view was well worth it.
5  Thank BigPeteNy

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing IBEROSTAR for your family vacation. We would like to thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review with us and the rest of the online community how your vacation went with us.

It is great to know that you were pleased with your room and its amenities. We are extremely proud to hear that you found the hotel grounds and pool area to be well maintained by our hard-working staff members. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the food variety offered here at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites and we do apologize for the incident of the power outage while you were at dinner and as well as the incident when you were in your room. It is good to know that the AC issue was rectified in a timely manner.

We will definitely pass on your wonderful comments to the staff members you mentioned namely; Roxie, Melissa and Nickiesha in the Kid's Club, Dale the bellman, Melonie in the buffet and Star Friends Mo-Mo and Sweetness who all contributed to making your stay such a memorable one.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The food was amazing at the the restaurants and the buffet. All the staff are very welcoming and friendly. We would definitely come back here again. Location was perfect, right on the beach. It was my birthday while we were there and the hotel made me a cake and brought it to our room which was really nice. The room was nice and a good size but the room did get damp if the air con was off. There was entertainment provided all day and in the evening as well as reggae music played by the pool. There were a couple BBQ's on the beach while we were there which were delicious and the swim up bar was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Louisa G

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing to stay at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property here in Jamaica.

We are thrilled to know that you found the food in the restaurants and the buffet to be amazing, and that you also felt welcomed by all the staff here. It is great to know that you enjoyed our complimentary cake provided to guests celebrating birthdays at our resort.

Once again thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I am a month late in leaving this review and I apologize. I stayed 30 May - 6 June 2014. We had a wonderful time. I chose the suites over the Grand because of the lazy river pool. This may seem silly but it was wonderful and relaxing.
We had a room on the fourth floor that overlooked the pools. The room and bathroom were spacious, clean, and had free wi-fi. Normally when on vacation I like to spend a fair amount of time at the beach, though the beach was beautifully maintained, the main pool was so large and the bartenders at the swim up pool were amazing. I am terrible at names so I can not give proper thanks to those working durning my stay but everyone we encountered there was amazing. Everyone greeted us warmly and with in a day or two the waitstaff and bartenders knew us and our prefrences, not only for drink but also for seating preference in buffet.
As for food at the hotel, we enjoyed the steakhouse and went twice during our stay. The buffet had better food options and quality than many other hotels I've stayed. The
Mediterranean and Mexican were ok to good, the salad buffet at the mexican was better than the main entree. The only restaurant we did not like was the Japanese which is located next door at the Beach hotel, though the food was decent quality it was mainly cooked with tons of butter and little else.
I have no complaints about my stay. We only left the property once for an evening tour of the Great House, it was a cheesy tour but interesting nonetheless.
I would defintiely return in the future. I will post photos soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacation. Thank you for posting your comments on the experience you had here at our Rose Hall Suites Property in Jamaica.

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time at our hotel. It is great to know that you were pleased with your room, the pool and the bartending service at the pool. We are glad to know that you found the buffet to have enough variety, that you enjoyed liked the Steakhouse, Mexican and Mediterranean restaurants. We do regret to know that you did not like the Japanese restaurant at the neighboring property however.

Once again thank you for choosing the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property and we are happy to understand from your comments that you intend to return to our hotel.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have been returning guest of this wonderful resort for many years and had nothing but wonderful experiences but since our recent visit we had noticed many changes with the hotel some good and some bad and one change I could not seem to digest was the new Star Friends manager Raphael. He's unfriendly and always finds to way to be scarce on the pool floor, rarely socializing with guests and doesn't even acknowledge non-Spanish speaking guests making one question his actions. Since I've been coming to the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites the entertainment has been nothing but out of this world but since Krazy Kenney has left it has been nothing but dull and lifeless I see less and less guests in the black river theater at night but luckily for the amazing star friends such as Peaches, VIP, Bududup, Sting Rae, and Momo we enjoyed our vacation and will return JUST FOR THEM.

6  Thank natasha m

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for continuing to return the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property here in Jamaica. We would also like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community how your vacation went with us.

We deeply regret to hear that you were disappointed with the entertainment, however we will definitely pass on your comments to Peaches, VIP, Bududup, Sting Rae and Momo who contributed to you enjoying your vacation.

Once again thank you for returning to the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We got to our suite and the room was very musty. we had to open and leave the patio door open most of the time we were there. the second day we realized there were no iron so we called after about one half hour we call again and it still took about another one half hour before the iron was brought to us. Air conditions was bad. we had problem sleeping at night. we forgot that we were in the Island. no MUSIC.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
5  Thank Trevor W

Dear Client,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Hotel. We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share with us and the rest of the online community your experience with IBEROSTAR.

We sincerely regret the problems you had with your ac but a quick call to either our Front Desk or Guest Services department would have resolved the issue by sending someone to your room to address the issue.

Once again thank you for choosing the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

we had a lot of fun here. hotel was very clean and have very oversized bathrooms. the buffet was amazing! The dancers by the pool are a lot of fun. You need long pants and collar shirts for the restaurants and we didnt know, so we didnt go into those. Beach was so-so not the prettiest in Jamaica!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MJKU

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Hotel for your vacation. We would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know how your vacation went with us.

It is a cause of satisfaction to hear that you have had a fun vacation with us. We are thrilled to know that you found the hotel clean and the buffet amazing; however we apologize if you missed the opportunity to try the specialty restaurants.

Once again thank you for choosing the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites and we do look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
#11 of 64 in Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!