“Wonderful stay, but won't return”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, New York
“Wonderful stay, but won't return”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed June 30-July 6 2014. Initial impression was small lobby and u like other Iberostar resorts, staff at check in were not friendly and/or accommodating. Booked through cheap Carribean and have never before had an issue. Yes, we arrived a but early. It usually we get a room anyway at least temporarily as I travel with a child w special needs. This trip included myself, my teen girls, 15 & 16, 5 year old niece, sister and my parents who are in their early seventies. The request was in back in February for rooms next to each other. This seemed to annoy the clerk named Paul, who was at best indifferent. I requested a supervisor and was told Luis was in a meeting. The entire unprofessional manner in which this was handled began the trip off w a bad taste in our mouths.

Ok.. Onto the rest:
Rooms: Once we made it in, they are adequate...cleaned well, towels and toiletries supplied daily and any request was quickly addressed, ex: pblm w lock on safe. Addressed quickly.
Pool: clean pool BUT nobody and I mean nobody ever cleans the excess of cups left all around the pool area from the pool bar. Workers look and walk right past them. One afternoon, so e elderly ladies couldn't take the bees flying around the empty daiquiri cups so they room it upon themselves to remove all the cups.
Pool palapas: I got there every morning as I am an early riser by 6:30/7:00. Any later and there would have been no shade. Secured our 6 loungers under palapas, the 5 year old didn't need one.. She never sat down!
Beach: clean and cared for. Plenty of palapas around. Not enough staff at the water sports hut so it took us a good while to secure kayaks.
Restaurants: quite inferior as compared to iberostar in cancun, riviera maya and Cozumel. Servers were indifferent and food was blech. Nothing special to offer and portions were quite small... Yes, smaller the. An avg European meal and we are Americans so we did expect larger portions.
Buffets: basically the same food most days but always something available for all of us to eat.

Overall staff attitudes were unfriendly and uninterested. Never did I stand in pool bar with cash in hand and ha to wait ... They moved at a ridiculously slow pace and could not manage a very small crowd. Then again, it didn't seem to bother them at all.

Star friends: excellent... Always trying to get people involved. Very friendly, all good with people.

For us, we won't be back.

5 Thank Livestotravel3653
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property in Jamaica for your family vacation. We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community your opinion of your stay with IBEROSTAR.

Firstly we would like to take this opportunity to apologize if you felt as though the service you received from Front Desk staff and Restaurant staff was not satisfactory as this is definitely not a true depiction of the service offered by IBEROSTAR. As it relates to your issues with your room upon check-in, please note that check-in time at our hotel is 3:00PM and the room can only be given to guests early if they are ready before 3:00PM. Also as it relates to your rooms being next to each other, our hotel does not guarantee room locations prior to check-in since the rooms are assigned nightly based on availability. We do however apologize for the way in which this situation was handled.

It is great to hear that you were pleased with the room and housekeeping service. We regret to know that you did not enjoy your vacation here with us.

Once again thank you for choosing the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property in Jamaica.

Online Reputation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,073)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Dallas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lovely, very clean resort.
Food/Service:
Food was absolutely great! So much food. So much food. Every restaurant had really good food & plenty of it. Great variety of every type of food you can eat. I had the pleasure of receiving excellent service from Rose Ann a premier hostess at this resort in the Miranda Hill Restaurant. One of my best memories from my previous trips to Jamaica included enjoying Jamaica's blue mountain native coffee and the famous Betty Milk. Rose provided me with this pleasure daily. At that time I knew that I would have a terrific stay at Rose Hall Suites. Every morning, I looked forward to being welcomed and spoiled by Rose with a beautiful smile. She is exemplary and we were pampered. As guests were leaving they were taking pictures with her. I could tell that she touched them as well.

Do eat & make a reservation at the Steak house-Aunt Ruby - I live in Texas & yes this was the best steak I have had in years! Cooked on a grill in front & it was tender cooked to perfection. Amazing flavor.

On our first night we didn't have any air conditioning in our room. The entire wing was without air conditioning. It was quite a challenge. We received notice that evening in advance & it was repaired the next morning. It happens. Regardless of that situation, I must refer to the awesome hospitality of Rose and select staff. The Front desk staff were not as quick to offer superior service or prompt kindness after guests are checked in. The resort though fully booked was so roomy that it was still very private. We were not bothered with sales pitches & were not solicited which can be a common thing while travelling.

The suite was immaculate and absolutely beautiful. A view of the lazy river outside of our private fully furnished balcony was wonderful. We could see the ocean in the distance. Everywhere we walked we weren't able to find anything amiss or out of place. The landscaping grounds and the beach area complete with beach towels and shaded umbrellas were lovely. A life guard was on duty for the day time hours. Around the resort & your room there is Free wi fi access with your personal device.

The Room (#4022) Rose Hall Suites:
The bed was so relaxing and the bathroom was very clean. The shower & bathtub was super large. Ample dresser space, in room safe, and a full size closet and with a full view mirror. Closet came complete with relaxing robes. Drinks were poured without a question with the staple of Jamaica Rum. I did find it unusual there weren't any Fourth of July Fireworks. The pool was closed at 7pm which I thought was odd to have a time limit on access to this area while on vacation. This is the first resort where you can have anything at no charge from the fully stocked refrigerator - beer, soda, water. Room service is available at all hours. We didn't use room service because we enjoyed the many restaurant options at all hours.

I will definitely stay at this resort again & will continuously seek out other Iberostar properties in other vacation destinations. Do tip the staff regardless if this is all inclusive or not. Your rate doesn't go into the pockets of the people who passionately work hard to make your vacation special.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Stay at the Rose Hall Suites. This hotel is part of 3 hotels. The suites to me was quiet & had m...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing IBEROSTAR. Thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community such a detailed review of your vacation experience at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites in Jamaica.

We are extremely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our selection of food here on property and that you received such wonderful service from Rose Ann in the buffet. It Is great to know that you enjoyed the Steakhouse Restaurant.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced on your first night and we are happy to know that it was repaired the next morning. We are happy to know that this incident did not impact badly on the remaining days of your stay at our hotel.

We are also delighted to know that you were pleased with your room and that you found the hotel to be immaculate and beautiful. However we do apologize if you felt as though the Front Desk was did not offer superior service as this is not a true depiction of the standard of operations by the hotel. As it relates to our pool being closed at 7:00PM, this is because we have our pools chemically treated between the hours of 7PM – 7AM on a daily basis ensuring that our valued guest wakes up to a clean and properly maintained pool which they can use throughout the day.

We are happy to understand from your comments that you intend to return to our hotel. Once again thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

As all the other reviews stated, it is a Great Place!!!
I think all the rooms have a great ocean view so save your money on the upgrade. Our room was facing the kids club and the Steak restaurant and it had the perfect sunrise view at around 6:30 am. At first, we thought it was a bad location away from the main pool but some of our friends indicated the noise level at the main pool can keep the kids up until late. My son was sick one night at 1am and room service was at our door with new sheets and comforter withing 10 minutes and also sanitized our mattress. That was impressive!
The restaurants were all very good and had a very wide selection, even for persons with allergies. We only tried the Japanese and The Steak house restaurant and are both worth a try. Remember to make reservations the moment you get into the hotel because the good times fill up quickly.
There are numerous gift shops near the casino side with anything you might have forgotten. Make sure you don't forget the basics or you will be paying thru the nose. $20 for suntan lotion.
If you are looking to purchase Blue Mountain coffee, try a few shops to get the best price.
FYI, the Blue Mountain coffee at the airport duty free is asking $18 US for 8 oz. If you can find elsewhere cheaper, jump at it.
Last minute Gift T-shirts are $15 US in the airport Jamaican bobsled shop.
There are two duty free liquor shops at the airport so don't do all your shopping at the first shop after security.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing to stay at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property in Jamaica. We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community your experience with us.

As a top brand hotel chain we always seek to ensure that our valued guest receives the highest level of customer service while vacating with us. We are delighted to know that you were impressed with your room and food selections here on property. We are sorry to hear that your son got sick and hope he is feeling much better now.

Once again thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacation and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I chose this hotel due to feedback from Expedia and TripAdvisor. Most of the comments were very positive and the hotel is highly rated. I stayed at this hotel July 26-30, 2014, and was highly disappointed in everything this hotel offered. There is no way I would ever rate this hotel anything over a 2. Everything about it was subpar. It needs new management and the employees need training. A major renovation wouldn't hurt either. Check-in was a disaster; I made my reservations through Expedia for a friend and myself. I paid for the reservation and she reimbursed me. However, upon check-in, the reservation at the hotel only stated my name and I had to pay an additional $736 for her to join me in the room. I specifically told the Expedia rep when I made the reservation both of our names for the hotel and reserved a room with double beds. Before I got to the hotel, I asked to be placed on a floor that was quite but had a nice oceanfront view. I was celebrating my birthday and wanted a nice quite floor. I received notification that the hotel would try to accomodate me. When I got to the hotel, I was told that I changed the reservations by asking for a higher floor and because only one name was on the reservations, I lost my two double beds since there are no double beds on the higher floors. That's crazy! My reservation was for two double beds and because I asked for a higher floor should not change the fact that I wanted two double beds. I told them they should have told me that there were no double beds on the higher floors. My friend had to sleep on a lumpy let-out sofa in the room. The staff brought a dirty twin mattress for her to sleep on; however, the sofa looked cleaner. Staff doesn't pay attention to detail. Since there is no attention to detail, housekeeping only "straighten" up the rooms and don't actually clean them. The food is disappointing as well. I didn't enjoy any of the restaurants or the buffets. The drinks were weak and I wondered if the alcohol had been watered. The room I was in had a stale, musty odor that I couldn't get rid of and it was consistently wet because of the humidity in the room. I consistently asked for air freshner and got a can that was almost empty. Housekeeping was supposed to bring more air freshner; however, I never did get anything. I was truly disappointed in this hotel and the entire experience. Entertainment was disappointing as well. I will never stay here again and I don't recommend it to anyone.

p.s. I fought with Expedia upon my return to get my $736 refunded and they did refund it - call center is outside of the USA which made it very difficult for the agents to understand my situation as English wasn't their first language. Took me over three hours and numerous dropped calls/callbacks to get the issue resolved. Lesson-learned - when travelling international, use one of your local travel agents instead of going on line.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Angela J
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your vacation. We appreciate you taking the time to send us your review on your experience with us here at the Rose Hall Suites property in Jamaica.

We are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed from your stay with us. As it relates to the issue with your booking upon arrival, please note that our reservations office would have booked your room based on the information received from the travel agency (Expedia) which you had booked with. In addition to this, Iberostar Rose Hall Suites does not guarantee bedding type or room locations prior to arrival as rooms are assigned based on availability. With this being said we are pleased that our front desk was able to provide you with a room on a higher floor as you had requested upon arrival. I should however highlight to you that our Ocean Front rooms on the highest floors have only King beds. I will use this medium and extend an apology for the fact that you were not advised of such information.

We would also like to apologize if you were not satisfied with housekeeping as this is not a true depiction of the service offered by IBEROSTAR. We sincerely regret to hear that you were not pleased with food and drink selections here on property.

Your comments provide a motivational factor as we continue to improve upon our service offering to all our guests at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property. Once again we appreciate your choice of IBEROSTAR.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites last week as a family of four. My parents also met us there but accidentally booked at the Beach side. I read a ton of reviews and scoured the forums before we left, so I feel like I was as prepared as I could be as we had never traveled to Jamaica before. And with that, I can not understand how people were disappointed in this resort. It was a very clean, well manicured property with a beautiful lobby, pool, grounds, and rooms. They were constantly cleaning something, painting something, and trimming the plants.

Room:
I was disappointed that our room was not ready when we got there at 3pm. I had read this in reviews so I was not surprised, but really wanted to shower and change after almost 24 hours of traveling to get there. It was thankfully ready by 3:30 and we were very pleased when we saw the room. We emailed the day before arriving and asked for an ocean room, which we were told could not be promised but is what we got. We were on the 4th flood with nothing but ocean views! The room was very clean and much more updated than I was expecting. We had a very large king sized bed, our 7 yr old slept on the pull out, and our 2 yr old in a crib. There was plently of room for all of us. The shower was clean and our kids loved the giant bath with the fun spraying wand. There was a musty smell that increased throughout our stay, but we kept the slider closed to keep the room air-conditioned and I felt that was to be expected in Jamaica in July. I read ahead of time about tipping the maids to ensure good service. The first full day I left them a small gift and small cash and asked for only water and beer in the mini fridge. We did not get that. So the next day I took all the soda out and asked again with a $5 tip for only water and beer and we did get it that time. It was not a big deal and they did a great job of cleaning the room every day.

Staff:
The staff was pleasant for the most part. I did feel a bit like the staff was only waiting for tips, but I assume that’s an AI thing. My parents stayed at the Beach resort and it was interesting to compare staff at the two. I liked our bartenders much better, but liked their entertainers a little more (those ours were really fun too). I LOVED the pool side Star team at both resorts. The aerobics classes were a blast, and were not something I expected to enjoy at all. The kids club staff was fantastic on both sides as well. They were all very alert to safety concerns while still keeping everything really fun. My daughter particularly liked Tinkerbell on the Beaches side. There were a few bartenders on the Beaches side who were grouchy and constantly denied blended drinks to people because they took “too much time”, this included a Miami Vice, Jelly Bean, and he said he was out of mint for Mojitos. I learned to avoid this bartender and found all of them at the Suites side to be very nice and accommodating. I also leaned to ask for floaters as the drinks are very weak. I was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining I found the shows to be. I was laughing harder than I can remember in a long time at the Couples show they did that used couples from the audience.

Food:
The food was fine. We live in So Cal so we are extremely spoiled in terms of the food available to us, so no the food didn’t blow my mind but it was good and served it’s purpose. I liked the Steakhouse the best, but getting a reservation there with 6 people was a disaster. While the Japanese restaurant was very entertaining, the food was not up to the sushi and Japanese standards we are used to. But it was fun and I would definitely do it again. I felt the breakfast buffet had a large selection of fresh food. We always got there early so I don’t know what it was like later in the morning but everything we ate was very fresh and the coffee was good. The have amazing fresh fruit juices only at the breakfast buffet that I wish I could have taken to the bar for mixed drinks. Next time I would bring an insulated cup to do that sort of thing. I am not used to vacationing at AI, so I found the scheduling of the restaurants to be very annoying and diminished our overall vacation experience. I read you could call before you leave and schedule some for your first few days, but when I called I was told they only do that for parties of 12 or more. While we waited for our room to be ready we went straight over to schedule dinners, and there was very little available at that point. We ate at the buffet that first night, and couldn’t get a reservation for the Japanese restaurant until 9 pm our second night. We were all so hungry by that time the next night we were miserable, and our 2 year old fell asleep before the main course was served :/ The next night we had 7pm reservations at the Steakhouse, but at the pool that day the Star staff encouraged our daughter to participate in the talent show that was at 8pm. This was the first thing she expressed interest in so we really wanted her to be able to join, so I ended up having to leave dinner before the main course was served with her to go to the theater. I found all that scheduling to be a major hassle!

Pool:
We got up early every day and left our belongings on chairs before we went to eat breakfast. There were plenty of people who beat us and took the best, shaded spots but we were always able to find something suitable. The pool was beautiful, but the chemicals they use to keep it that way definitely irritated all of our skin. It may be that we went in early in the day so close to when they treat it, but even a pink hat my daughter took into the pool had bleach marks on the top. The lazy river was cute but too lazy for us. We ended up walking it a few times, but mostly stuck to the main pool and all the entertainment that was centered around it.

Beach:
We did not spend very much time at the beach. We live at the beach so that was not a big draw for us. My daughter was stung by something the first 20 min she was in the water and refused to get back in the rest of the time. We heard from others next to us that there were small jelly fish in the snorkeling areas and white bugs that bite on the sea grass that was floating around. There were still plenty of people in the water so it could not have been too much of a problem. My parents spent much more time than us on the beach and really enjoyed it. As others mentioned in other reviews, I wish there were more food/snack options at that pool and beach areas for those spending all day out there.

Overall this is a beautiful resort that does a good job keeping their guests entertained. I think I am just not much of an AI type of traveler, but if I take that out of it I can’t see how anyone could complain about this resort!

Room Tip: The higher the floor and higher the room number are the best with the best views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
SantoValdez, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR for your family vacation. We would like to thank you for taking the time to send us such a detailed review on how your vacation went with us.

As you have mentioned in your review this was the first time visit to Jamaica and we are pleased to know that you had a great time with us.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the food variety offered at our buffet, al a carte restaurants and also the facility itself with mention of the pool and lazy river. It is great to know that you were pleased with the service provided by our staff as we thrive to maintain the wonderful service IBEROSTAR is known for while keeping our guest entertained which on this note I would thank you for highlighting our nightly entertainment which had you laughing a lot in which you haven’t done in such a long time.

Your comments provide a motivational factor as we continue to improve upon our service offering to all our guests at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Property. Once again we appreciate your choice of IBEROSTAR and we look forward to seeing you again at any of our property.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The time we sent was to short
The entertainment was the bomb everyone was so friendly there wasn't anything that they wouldn't do for you
We went with a family of 10 and we all had a Great time and will go back

Thanks Lou Curatolo

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to share with us and the online community your perception of this resort within the short time you’ve vacated with us. Thank you for taking the time to send us your review and we are glad to know that you had a great time and as you have mentioned you will be back. On that note we look forward to accommodating you at our hotel for another great experience.

Long Island City, New York, Usa
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Getting to the hotel was a nightmare but once we did it was worth it. The staff is extremely friendly. Our room location couldn't be beat. We were close to the pool, the beach and all of the restaurants. Room #3036. It is very humid and the housekeeping isn't the best but the view from our room made up for it. For an all inclusive the food was pretty good. Overall I would go back there again.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool and the beach and restaurants are the best. We were in room #3036 and our famil...
2 Thank Denise T
Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you have chosen the IBEROSTAR for your vacation and appreciate you taking the time to share with us and the online community the vacation experience you had here at the Rose Hall Suites Property in Jamaica.

It pleases us to know that you had a great time at the hotel and that you’ve found the staff to be friendly and accommodating and the food to be good. Once again thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR and we look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!