2,388 results
All reviews sugar mill hibiscus suite il giardino seagrape terrace all inclusive plan west cottages meal plan fern tree spa bedroom villa private pool sea grape cedar bar villa staff golf cart horseback riding hibiscus pool royal villa
Reviewed 27 January 2008

My husband and I stayed at Half Moon for the second leg of our honeymoon. We stayed our first 3 nights in West End Negril and the Rockhouse....highly highly reccommend....but there was little to do there, just what we wanted, thus, we thought it would be a great idea to spend the rest of the week at a larger resort, Half Moon...
It was elegant and the staff was so friendly. We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival which was great. Our first meal was at the Sugar Mill, expensive, but the best meal I had in jamaica, order the flame, the filet or lobster thermidor is to die for...
Weather was pretty cloudy everyday which was unfortunate..the hotel itself is very nice, not a large highrise, but a quaint plantation-ish feel, which I liked...if you golf, it probably makes for a great trip...the beach was small and dirty from the storm, the staff was always cleaning it up but it was still dirty and so was the water from the storm, They didnt let us use the watersports because they said the water wasn't safe which i didnt understand, it looked calm to me....
Dont get excited for the shopping village either, the stores are closed most of the time or vacant and there isnt really anything luxorious or cool or fun to buy, most vendors have moved to the ritz carlton shops up the road...dont get me wrong, it was an amazing honeymoon, although my husband got the flu, which left me to..well hang out at the bar alot, which was fun, great mai tai's....i kinda wish that montego bay was more lush but it is not, there is so much construction and it was so dusty outside the hotel, its not what i pictured...i think you need to go to ochos rios for that...oh breakfast was great, simple, coffee great....they need a place where you can just run in a get a cup of coffee instead of sitting and ordering breakfast...if you can skip breakfast and hold out for an early lunch at seagrape do that...lunch is soooo good, the lobster salad so good and fresh....
Anyway, i would recommend this hotel to anyone who is not interested in a high rise, atlantis (bahamas) style hotel. The hotel is quiet, and has a very rich, clubby feel...go at a time where the weather will definetely sunny though...b/c when its not you spend all day in a bad mood....it isnt cheap though and the excursions through the hotel are very expensive, but i suggest you do them....go to scotchies the jerk chicken hut down the street for a real authenitc cheap dinner...oh and take the tour of rose hall if you are into ghosts, very cool...i would go back to half moon...

Date of stay: January 2008
2  Thank boontonnj
Reviewed 25 January 2008

It's a beautiful place, great villas and lots of space. Too much space. It was a 7 min golf cart ride from our villa to the main lobby. That is if the golf cart was working and fully charged. We stayed in a villa that holds up to 14 people but they only give us 2 carts. A cart is needed in order to get to the main lobby and ours kept breaking down.

We scheduled a shuttle to pick us up from the villa to take us to the lobby (so that the other people could still have a golf cart) to take us ATVing... the shuttle never came!

The next night we called and scheduled a shuttle to take us to the airport (a free shuttle is provided for the wedding party), I called again in the morning to confirm. They said it was coming but it never did. 45 min and 12 calls later it came.

VERY POOR MANAGING AT THIS HOTEL.

Date of stay: November 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank klight16
Reviewed 20 January 2008

Since I read hundreds of reviews before our trip to Half Moon, I wanted to weigh in with my own experience now that we (my husband and I) are back. First, the property is beautiful and the scenery is stunning. We stayed in a Junior Suite in the West Cottages, and were thrilled with the location, the decor, and most of all the view. We were seriously about 50 steps from the ocean. We had a great experience with all the staff members we met in our week there, and did not once experience anything but friendly, helpful people. Every single employee I would pass would look up from their work and greet me with a smile and a hello. There is plenty to do at Half Moon if you are looking to stay busy...dolphins to watch or swim with, horses to ride, the usual watersports, tennis, fitness center, pools, and a new spa. One caution...there are extra costs for almost everything you can do. I had a wonderful massage at the spa, but after govt. tax, automatically added gratuity, and actual cost, it was $160 for 50 minutes deep tissue! I Live in Boston, so I am used to high costs, but this seemed extreme. Half Moon is not for the faint of wallet. And beware of the meal plans-they are great, but don't cover all of the places you can eat, and only the platinum plan covers drinks. Just ask a lot of questions about what is and isn't covered before you choose to do a plan. We didn't, but we aren't huge eaters or drinkers. Also, the resort requires that you dress for dinner at most of the restaurants, which may or may not matter to you. Regarding food, we did not find it as bad as some reviewers have said, but it was certainly sub-par for the prices and the quality of resort.

Overall, Half Moon is beautiful and there is little to not like. The one thing that we found frustrating was that there is a major road just outside the gate of the property, and we could hear traffic all day long. Of course, this is not the fault of the property, but something you should know. There is construction going on within the property, but it was never invasive.

Finally, we went into Montego Bay one afternoon with a driver, and were disappointed in the pressure we felt from people to buy whatever they were selling. It really didn't feel safe or enjoyable to walk around, and at minimum it was very overwhelming if you aren't used to being pursued like that.

If you go...take lots of money, and enjoy a truly luxurious vacation.

Date of stay: January 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank travelbettie
Reviewed 13 January 2008

We loved our last visit to Half Moon. We go 2 or 3 times each year with our children ages 11 and 14.Each time we return we see the improvements that the Stuart family continues to make.The property is secure and we feel at home with the staff. The food is good in the main dining room but it is better at The Sugar Mill and at Akbar the Indian restaurant.It may take a little while,but no matter what the request, the staff can take care of it. Aram Zerunian is the GM and he cares that all of his guests are satisfied. The riding facility is well run by Trena and her staff and if you ride the Beach ride in the surf is a must. They have just opened a world class spa and having been to some wonderful spas, Half Moon's is worth the trip. There are great facilities for tennis including many lighted courts.If you have young children there is a drop off camp so you can have some time to yourself.The road to the airport was just widened and it is now only about a 5 minute ride to Half Moon.There is a Dolphin swim that is on property, everyone that does this is all grins for one hour. Book this early as it can fill up when the hotel is busy. It is a large facility and the beach never seems crowded even at the busiest time of the year which is Christmas.

Date of stay: December 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
9  Thank neuro_bill
Reviewed 7 January 2008

I visited Half Moon in April 2007 as part of a wedding party. It was absolutely the perfect setting for a wedding! Many of the guests were upgraded two to three levels.

I stayed in a Superior Room and opted for the Platinum Plan. I highly recommend that you take advantage of this offer if available! It is so nice not to have to worry about how much you are spending.

FOOD: I ate at the Seagrape Terrace, Sugar Mill, Beach BBQ, and Akbar restaraunts and usually ordered room service for breakfast. My favorite was Akbar. They had wonderful Indian and Asian food! Get the spring rolls- they were divine! Breakfast at Seagrape and what you order from room service are basically the same thing. You will save time in the long run if you just order from room service when you wake up. Take a shower and by the time you get out and dress, room service will be there.

SERVICE: Don't expect fast service. They will get you what you need, but they are definitely on "Jamaica-time." Everything moves at a much slower pace. We booked Seagrape Terrace for a bridesmaid luncheon and were there for what seemed like ages!

Overall, I loved my time at Half Moon,. I would definitely go back!

Date of stay: April 2007