“Excellent value/quality - Overpriced Scuba” 5 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
North Carolina
“Excellent value/quality - Overpriced Scuba”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Transfer from airport: 20 minutes
Taxi fare: $35-$40

We spent 3 nights at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach and it was great. There is of course always a thing here or there that can be improved, but overall this is a fantastic hotel.

Rooms: We stayed in an ocean front room. The room is very spacious and has all the amenities you would need. However, if you have long hair and use the hair dryer for brushings and so on, I would definitely bring my own as the one in the room is rather simple. It does work fine though. There is also no conditioner in the room. The shower was great and clean, great water pressure and easy to set the temperature. Clean room, comfortable bed, stocked minibar (all-inclusive), you cannot go wrong.

Beach: The beach is great and clean and we could always find chairs along the beach. The hotel has signs posted everywhere that says that you cannot reserve your chairs. I like that and wish other hotels would use this policy as well because it does work. There are many trees on the beach which allows for many shaded spots. The one downside of the beach at this hotel (as well as the sister hotels the Suites and the Grand) is that if you want to walk on the beach you are rather limited. You can basically only walk along those three hotels as it becomes very difficult to go past the dock on one side and past the rock wall on the other side of the beach.

Pool: The pool looked very nice with its swim up bar, Jacuzzi and separate volley ball/scuba pool. However, I did not go in the pool. The first two days the pool was full of guests partying and drinking hard and so I wasn't interested in bathing in whatever was going on there. The staff was very good at keeping these people in check and had managers talk to the guests if they were not behaving in a proper way. For example, some female guests were called out by an entertainment staff and asked to stop their behavior as children were around. After all, it is not an adult only hotel. There were many entertainment options around the pool all day long but the staff was not pushy at all if one chose not to participate. The one area to definitely improve would be the volume of the speaker. One of the entertainment staff was always loud and with the speakers blasting it would make it intolerable to stay around the pool.

Gym: The gym is rather small and was used by many guests as we were there. There were only 2 treadmills, and 2 ellipticals of which one was out of service. There were also 3 spinning bikes and a regular bike. The weight equipment was good but there are just not enough cardio machines. The best time to use the gym is definitely the early morning. It gets really busy in the late afternoon/early evening. There are also classes offered but they are in the spa.

Entertainment/Bars: In general, the staff at this hotel is outstanding. Most of the staff just goes above and beyond to make you feel at home and fulfill your every wish. Others of course do not, but they are a rarity. There is plenty of entertainment at night. We watched two shows, one of which was outstanding and the other one was average. After the shows you can hang out at the cigar bar, the lobby bar, the bar next to the gym with its pool table, big screens, and foosball, or at the disco at the Grand. All of it is included.

Food: Now, I have no idea how some guests fuss about the food because it is outstanding. With the variety and the quality of the food available, one must have some serious food issues to complain about the food. The buffet is great and the quality is constant, be it breakfast, lunch, or diner. That is all there is to say about it.

Scuba shop: The main purpose of our trip was to scuba dive and this part was rather disappointing. Although the dive instructors are pleasant and very professional, other staff members are simply rude and snotty. The dives are absolutely overpriced. The lack of flexibility is also incredible. There is one morning dive and one afternoon dive (night dives are also available, for which you of course need to pay for the rental of the lights). It is not possible to do two tank dives in the morning, you have to come back in the afternoon. Also, the morning dive is a deep dive but you are not allowed to go on a deep dive with them unless you previously went on a shallow dive with them (regardless of being an advanced certified diver). You get a 20% discount by booking in advance online but according to some staff members cannot book that once you checked in at the hotel even if it is to dive 1 or 2 days later which is a total nonsense and rather odd. You can get a 10% discount if you pay cash. Even with the discounts, this place is grossly overpriced. Another oddity is that none of the divers are Jamaican. All dive instructors are foreigners. The only Jamaicans we have seen hand out the gear, the kayaks, or sail boats. The captain of the boat was local though.

Summary: Outstanding staff, food, entertainment options. Unless you are looking for something more secluded/exclusive this is a fantastic pick. If your main purpose is diving you might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank MooresvilleNC
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

The management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach & Spa Resort would like to thank you for choosing our hotel. The valuable time invested in writing and sharing your review is highly appreciated.

We are thrilled to hear that your experience at our beautiful resort was fantastic. Our housekeeping department ensures that our rooms are always in the best condition for our valued guest. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed relaxing on the beach. You have observed our staff very well, they are truly wonderful and goes above and beyond to assist our guests. We are proud to have them working with us and we will commend then for the outstanding job they have done. Our chefs ensure that there is always a variety of dishes to choose from and we are happy you were pleased with the quality.

Your comment regarding the loudness of the speaker was noted and we apologize for any inconvenience caused; we are in fact currently working on this matter to be resolved. As it relates to the gym we do our utmost to ensure that all the machines are in working condition and we repaired and service each time to keep gym up to standard. Regrettable on occasions we discover machines out of service and whenever this happens we work to repair as fast as possible. The Dive Center is a separate entity, however we are truly sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the services offered there. We will pass the comments to them for their information and improvements. Thanks to you again for sharing your detailed review and we hope we will have the privilege to welcome you for another vacation.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (983)
  • Polish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Firstly I must admit that I am not a fan of big chain hotels but I was pleasantly surprised with Iberostar.

The staff are very friendly and accommodating, they give the hotel some personality.

The view from our balcony was breathtaking! Hotel is only a 20 minute drive from the airport, however the hotel does feel a little isolated as far as location. But they always have taxi's outside and provide a shuttle to the local shopping area. Be careful of the taxi drivers that "don't have change"

The biggest disappointment by far was the lack of authentic Jamaican cuisine. The food was plentiful and nice but definitely not Jamaican.

Overall I had an enjoyable stay but wasn't blown away.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nay23
Dear Guest,

The management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Resort would like to thank you for choosing our hotel. We are pleased that you were able to enjoy the wonderful services provided by our friendly and accommodating staff, they are indeed an asset to our hotel. Kindly accept our humble apologies for the disappointment you encountered as it relates to authentic Jamaican Cuisine. We do provide a variety of Jamaican dishes however based on your review you believe we could improve in this area and we will do our utmost where possible. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and we hope you will visit again for another vacation.

Field, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Part 1 - Wedding

My parents visited this resort last year and had only good things to say about it. So we choose this resort for our destination wedding. I will try to keep this short but I know that wont be possible, there are so many wonderful things to say about it, with a couple very very minor issues.

We arrived at the airport in Montego Bay, Our westjet tour reps were waiting for us with our wedding group name, from the moment we arrived we were treated very very well.
After a short and informative drive to the resort we went to front desk to check in. It was a very quick process. We were upgraded to a ocean view suite which was incredible. I have read on a few reviews before we left about how rude and unfriendly the front desk staff were. I'm not sure why people could say this. We were there for 10 days, and went to front desk numerous times for various things, from purchasing wifi, sorting out getting my dress steamed, paying for the wedding etc.. every time absolutely wonderful friendly faces. George, Shelly Ann and Carlos were always a treat to talk to! So don't take the negative reviews about them seriously.

We were taken to our room by a friendly bellman, unsure of his name but he asked us every day how we were doing and if we needed anything. He was great.

The westjet rep at the hotel was great, she set us up with Patrina, she took great care of us, we were interested in booking a group excursion with our guests and it was so simple, even though some of our guests went with sunwing and some with westjet. She even got us a better price because we had so many going!

The wedding planners are incredible. They are so friendly, and happy. We met with Vanessa the day after we arrived for about 30 minutes, to go over all our final details. We met with Santeena the next day when we brought the decorations we brought with us to them. We told them how we wanted everything set up. These ladies plan and execute so many weddings and don't even stress over it. We saw these wonderful ladies every single day and were so calm and would always stop to talk to us and ask how our day was going and see what we had planned. We saw weddings every single day we were there, and one day we saw 2. One of which was 130 people. Again, we saw Vanessa and she stopped to talk to us for a while. They are super busy ladies but get it done exactly how you want it, even better. Sometimes it takes a little while for them to respond to emails but once you see how busy they are you will understand why. I never had any issues, I compiled a list of questions and about 2 months before the wedding I sent one big email instead of sending emails weekly. If you are considering using this resort for your wedding please do not hesitate. Incredible!!
The day of the wedding it rained a lot for about 30 minutes. I was stressing a little because they weren't setting up at our location (it was below our room) They were preparing to set up in the backup location. Luckily the rain cleared and we were able to have it on the beach.
When we arrived at Uncle Tony's (the steakhouse) for our wedding dinner I was blown away, I was so shocked with how beautiful everything was. We brought table runners, chair sashes and small centerpieces with us and they added a few extra things at no extra charge.
I cook for a living so I am a little picky about food. It was so delicious! I hardly ate mine because I was quite uncomfortable in my big dress, plus all the excitement. But everyone was extremely happy with there meals. We went to each table and asked all our guests if they were happy. We had 60 guests and some of them are fussy and it is impossible to make them happy...
The wedding cake was delicious! We had a 3 tier cake. We didn't bring a cake topper with us and they made sure to put one there. I cant say enough great things about the hard work that everyone does at this resort.

There is nothing negative I could possibly say about the wedding. It was absolutely more than We ever imagined.

Part 2 - Rest of the trip

Rooms - our room was beautiful, the fridge (which isn't really a real fridge it is a cool box) worked great. Kept everything very cold. Anyone that didn't like the temperature of it could easily go down the hall to get ice from the machine. (even though Jamaica is a third world country it is part of the british commonwealth so the water is safe)
The housekeeping staff were fantastic. We didn't require our room to be done everyday so we would inform our housekeeper in the morning if we wanted it done or not. She was always so happy and cheerful when we say her. By the end of our trip she we would hug her when we say her. I had requested our room to be done early the day of the wedding and it was her day off, so she was going to leave a note for whoever was working the next day. Due to the fact it was a busy week she worked an extra day and our room was the first one she did. I am bad with names so I don't remember hers either but she was so wonderful! We are friendly people and say hello to everyone and ask how there day is going and most everyone we spoke to in the housekeeping department were friendly back to us, One of our guests said her housekeeper was rude to her, but we never experienced anything but excellent service.
We visited a few of our guests rooms throughout the 10 days, and one guest didn't like the room they were in, and changed rooms twice but they are super picky people so I didn't even believe them that there was a problem.
My sister said she saw a cockroach when they went into the room the first night. That I don't take to seriously, We have been to a few carribean resorts from 3.5 - 5 star and I have seen them in all of them so I wasn't worried.
The bed in our room was very comfortable. I slept great everynight. They are very smart in putting an extra door in the room to block off the bedroom from the closet and bathroom area. Completely blocks out outside noise.
From previous vacations I found some rooms were musty smelling, I took a plug in air freshener with us and our room smelled wonderful!

FOOD - I don't even know where to begin. The buffet was incredible. Breakfast had a big variety, 2 omelet stations, homemade doughnuts dipped in chocolate, Waffles, fluffy pancakes.. Amazing!! The star friends would come eat with the guests which was nice (they would always ask first)
Lunch most days we had at the main buffet. They have high standards, so if your just leaving the beach and dripping with water you wont be able to go in and eat. Some people were offended by this but I think its a great idea. If I were to go in and sit in a soaking wet chair I wouldn't be happy about it.
There was always a big selection. There was only one night that I wasn't impressed with dinner but that's because I am picky about food. If it comes from the water it doesn't go in my mouth. Friday night had quite a bit of fish. Saturday made up for it. Roasted turkey!! I was so happy because turkey is my absolute favorite thing in the world. Luckily we were there for 2 Saturdays :)
We had our rehearsal dinner at the Japanese and everyone loved it. Its the same as any Japanese restaurant at an all inclusive, very entertaining. We went back again because it was so good! We also went back to the steakhouse another night because it was also very great!

The late night snack shack was good.. They would have chicken breast, hamburgers, hotdogs all the toppings for hot dogs and burgers, you could make salads as well. There was delicious pizza there as well as desserts. What would have made it Great would have been some potato chips or French fries.. If im drinking and having a late night snack I would love some fries..

We ordered room service a couple of times if we had a quiet night. It is available from 11am-11pm.

BAR STAFF
Very entertaining. Ricardo and Andrew were great. We weren't at the bar getting loaded every night although most of our 60 guests were. The bar staff are the same as anywhere, you tip well you get served quicker. Even when it was super busy we never waited more than 5 minutes for a drink. We hung out in the lobby bar mostly, didn't go to the theatre much except for 1 night.
Although we weren't at the bar being social all the time, everyone knew we were there for our wedding and would always get stopped, or someone call out to us and ask if we needed anything or how our day was! Everyone was super friendly at this resort.

STAR FRIENDS - Maria (lava child) is great. shes hilarious and has a great personality. I never saw her once while I was with my mom and she would come visit us on the beach and tell me my mom loves her! and she loves my mom! she joined us for lunch one day. These people work super long hours and only have 1 day off a week. They have very high energy jobs and I don't know how they get through there day! They really are superstars.

VISITING THE SUITES
We didn't go to the disco much maybe an hour into total (we are not big party people) if your into strobe lights and loud pumpin music you will love it. It was jam packed when we were there.
We went to the spa the day after the wedding for a massage and it was one of the best massages ive ever had. I was a little nervous at first because our massage therapist told me she did my mothers hair for our wedding.. I was thinking to myself "this is going to suck shes not properly trained" Whether she was or wasn't it was incredible. I pretty much had to force my husband to go for a massage and he loved it so much.
We went to the casino one night and it was nice and quite, very few people there. We enjoyed it. We didn't spend a lot (about 40-50 each) we played for over an hour.

THE BEACH

There was never an issue getting a chair in the sun or shade. There is a bit of seaweed there but it seemed like it only would come in at high tide. They have people raking the beach to pick up the debris. It was a beautiful beach. We spent all of our time there, I couldn't say any anything bad about the beach or the servers there. We would always have someone come ask what we would like and stay if they were busy to have a chat and see how our day was. We didn't really drink in the day mostly water or coke.

The Pool
The only thing I can say about it was it looked pretty nice. We are beach fans and never even went to the pool at all. Some of our guests stayed all day (especially my cousin as she was in a wheelchair so it was easier for her) Everyone who went loved it. I found it to hot when we would walk across the pool area to go to the buffet or beach)

GIFT SHOPS
We travelled to the "hip strip" for some shopping, it was ok. but we enjoyed the shopping on the resort better. I saw a dress I liked when we went on our catarmaran cruise and they didn't have a size to fit me, I saw the same one in 3 stores all of which were priced between $50 and $58. I bought the exact same dress in the gift shop at the hotel for $26.00 We purchased quite a bit from the shops at the suites as they are centrally located for all three hotels and have great prices.

We really cant wait to go back to this resort, as soon as possible. We loved everything about it. The staff (whether they had a job that you would tip them or not) were all super friendly, yeah you may see someone who isn't smiling but it could be anything from they are concentrating on what they are doing, to they didn't hear you when you spoke to them.
I really hope you find my review helpful. And if you have any questions or concerns about it please message me. This resort is worth the price and more.
We had a couple guests that are lovers of mexico and they said it wasn't as great as the resorts in mexico but the best out of anywhere they have gone in cuba or the Dominican republic! We will definetly be returning.
Read the negative reviews, every person has a different opinion, I read over 100 reviews and While we were there I would have random thoughts pop into my head and think to myself "what in the world is wrong with those people? how can they think the things they posted ?" It was just good to be aware of the "issues" here.
So enjoy your vacation :)

I cant comment on anything for kids activities because we didn't have any in our group. But we met a family on the beach and there daughter loved the children activities...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank lauranyannick
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,

The management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Resort wishes to express our gratitude to you and family for selecting our Hotel for such an special occasion. We would also like to say thanks to you for taking the time to write and post such detailed review about the wonderful experience you had at our resort. No doubt your time and energy was invested and we are truly grateful. We are happy all went well with your transportation to the hotel thus there were no glitches. Weddings are extremely important occasions and as such Santena and Vanessa always do their utmost to ensure that the proceedings goes as requested by the bride and groom. We are thankful that your special day was unforgettable and we will commend both ladies for the incredible job they have done thereby allowing you to have your dream wedding.

We are grateful to hear that the rest of your trip was also wonderful. Thank you for your comment regarding the mini fridge, and you are correct as it is intended to keep items cool. We are pleased that you loved your room, the delicious food provided, the wonderful service provide at the bar by Andrew and Ricardo, the company of our energetic star friends especially Maria and the beauty of our relaxing beach. Our landscaping team, as you noticed, are very efficient in ensuring that the beach is kept clean. We do our utmost to contain the seaweed as best as possible, but regrettably we cannot eliminate it totally being a constant natural flow.

It was our pleasure playing such an important role as being the host for your wedding and we are overjoyed that overall your experience was wonderful. We hope you will visit again, maybe for your anniversary, as it will be our pleasure to extend welcome to you once more!

Alpha, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

My boyfriend and I were here for 5 nights and 6 days. From the second we checked in to the last minute we were spoiled. We were greeted at the front desk with a welcome drink and they brought the luggage right up to our room. Our room was on the 5th floor ocean front and it was the best view ever!

Pool and Beach:
Both were excellent - plenty of chairs to use every day. The beach and pool areas/bathrooms were always kept clean. There was a bar at both locations and each had waitresses asking you if you wanted a drink.

Food:
Very tasty and the speciality places were also very good. We ate lunch every day at Uncle Tonys which is right on the beach.

Staff:
AMAZING!! Everyone was so nice and polite. The bar staff had a great sense of humor and made some great drinks!!!

We had the best week and would love to stay here again!!!

Room Tip: Ocean View or Ocean Front!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lauren T
Dear Guest,

The management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Resort would like to thank you for choosing our hotel. We would like to thank you as well for taking the time to share your review. We are grateful to hear that you and your boyfriend had a wonderful vacation with us. This is the result we work to achieve each day and as such we are overjoyed. We will applaud our amazing staff for the exceptional services offered. Thank you again and we look forward to the next time you will visit again.

Aston, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

really enjoyed our stay. easy to get to, beautiful, clean and a wonderful group of people working to make your vacation great. we had been to another resort in jamaica, and the iberostar rose hall beach topped it in every way. we are already planning a return trip.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2 Thank poppy811
Dear Guest,

The management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach & Spa Resort wishes to express our gratitude to you for choosing our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful trip and already you are planning a return visit. This is what we work to accomplish every day and we are truly grateful your experience was remarkable. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcome you very soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Excellent beach and swimming. We were only there for a few days and it was very enjoyable. The only negative was the catamaran excursion. It was not worth the money, better to just stay and snorkel off the beach. Close to the airport. We were pleasantly surprised how helpful everyone was

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Janice89054
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Guest,

The management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach & Spa Resort would like to thank you for choosing our hotel. We are thankful you had a wonderful time here with us. We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience on your catamaran excursion and our apologies are extended on behalf of the tour company you booked with; we hope that your happier memories will surpass the experience. Thank you for sharing your review and we look forward to the next time we will have the opportunity to welcome you.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

first time in Jamaica and fell in love with EVERYTHING!!! definitely the first of many more trips to come..wouldnt even mind staying at the same resort!!!

starting from the bus ride from the airport to hotel-to leaving the country…service was excellent!

hotel was very clean and well kept. beautiful hotel!!

beach was beautiful and clean. water clear and had fishes swimming in! tons of chairs and tables on the beach so never had a problem finding a spot!!! service on the beach was also amazing. servers coming asking if everything was okay or if you needed a drink! can't complain when you don't even need to get up to get a drink!

pool is an infinity pool with swim up bar..seriously?! need i say more?!

food…omg…lost weight for this vacation, came back gained all the weight back AND SOME! always something delicious to eat. jamaican food and north american foods for those that aren't as adventurous lol. but we always ate the jamaican food..it was to die for!

the service was hands down more than excellent…always greeting guests with a smile and never had to wait long for anything!!! the people in jamaica are amazing, nice and beautiful inside and out!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank staasin
Dear Guest,

Thank you for making Jamaica your vacation destination and for choosing Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Resort. We are overjoyed to hear that you have fallen in love with our beautiful resort and the excellent services offered by our committed staff. Our collaborators are friendly by nature and enjoy doing their job, hence greeting our valued customers with warm smile requires no effort. We are thankful you enjoyed our delicious Jamaican food and the hotel facilities in general. Thank you for sharing your lovely review and we anticipate your next visit, as we look forward to providing more unforgettable vacation experiences! Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,783 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!