“Fantastic!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Montreal, Canada
“Fantastic!!”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

What an amazing place...great staff, delicious food, extremely clean, beautiful beach!! The animators are super!! Can't say enough about how great this place is!! I would go back in a heartbeat! Thank you to everyone at this hotel who made our stay so memorable!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank goldy53
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Resort for your past vacation. We are thrilled knowing you had a wonderful time here with us. We work assiduously each day to attain result such as this therefore we are truly grateful to you for taking the time to share. We will pass on your motivating review to our dedicated staffs and we will commend them all for the excellent teamwork done. Thanks to you again for choosing our resort and we look forward to extending welcome to you again for another vacation.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,009)
  • Polish first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Second trip to this hotel, first experience was excellent, booked air and hotel through my travel agent, no charter involved. this trip was through Sunwing and NEVER AGAIN.
Either the customer service at the hotel has gone down hill, or they do not give the same level of service to charters. Packed like sardines in the plane, worst trip ever.
Staff were excellent, housekeeping, bar service wait staff etc. and entertainment. Management could take some lessons from these employees.
Excellent choice of food in the buffet, but many items especially potatoes were always ice cold.

Room Tip: Wont matter what kind of room you choose, we were told they could not guarantee what your choice is...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ladymartini
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Resort for you past vacation once again. We are remorseful to hear that your experience wasn’t all jolly. We apologize if you were not assisted adequately at any point in time. For future reference we recommend reporting any glitches experienced while at the hotel thereby giving us the opportunity to correct and assist as best as possible. We are grateful to hear that you found the staffs to be excellent and that you enjoyed the selection of food provided. We will forward your comment regarding some items being cold to our chef and he will work to ensure this is corrected. Thank you for sharing your review and we look forward to the next time we will have the opportunity welcome you again.

Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I found out during my stay that I was not the only tourist who felt mislead by the tour agencies. I met several singles and couples who expected a different experience. The common theme seemed to be issues involving: musty smelling rooms, no free wifi anywhere on the property - $45/week, no music in common areas, large line ups at the bars, pressure to tip everywhere, and recently brought to my attention - prostitution. A bartender followed me to my room last night at 8:30pm and he asked me for a hug at my door. I asked him politely to go away and I told him that he made me feel uncomfortable. Two hours later while I was in bed the phone rang. It was the same bartender asking something. I responded angrily and hung up the phone. Even though I'm a seasoned traveller, this made me feel uncomfortable and I feel as though I have been labelled as a traveller that goes on vacation for sex, which clearly is not the case.

The staff are generally unaccommodating but perhaps that is a common theme in Jamaica (I can't be sure). I will never stay in this hotel again and likely due to my poor experience I will not return to Jamaica.

The beach is relatively clean and the food is standard.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Barracuda1
Dear Guest,

The management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall beach would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your past vacation. The tour agencies that sells our property receive all the necessary information regarding our property and also have the privilege to contact us for any additional information required therefore we are sorry if you were misled. Our housekeeping staffs are very efficient and does their utmost to ensure that our rooms are all impeccable for arrival; in the event there is an error once reported we correct with urgency. The Wi-Fi is at an additional charge at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach however this is not to meant to cause any inconvenience. Our humble apologies are extended if you waited extensively before receiving your drink at the bar or if you felt pressured to tip. Tipping is not mandatory and all our staffs are well aware; it is appreciated when received however, it is always the decision of our valued customers to tip or not to tip. We are completely floored as it relates to your comment about the bartender as this is totally unacceptable and against our company’s policy by far. Our heartfelt apologies are extended for the inconvenience caused and we ask that you report this directly to us by sending an e-mail to public.relationsdesk@iberostar.com.jm and thereby giving us the opportunity to conduct a throughout investigation on this incident.

Iberostar is committed to offering outstanding services and assisting our valued customers in the best way possible. Our staffs are also known for being very friendly and professional therefore I can assure you that the experience describe is not ‘a common theme in Jamaica’ or at Iberostar. We thank you for sharing your review and we hope this will not be your last visit. We will remain hopeful that you will visit sometime again in the future and discover the excellent services that we truly offer.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have not yet made the trip to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, but already I am extremely disappointed and frustrated with the reservations and management team. 60 days out from a trip booked for this March, I wondered if I could make changes to my reservation to allow our family to spend a few nights with friends vacationing elsewhere in Jamaica. Iberostar's Facebook team told us that our request could be accomodated, so I changed flights and made plans while trying to get in touch with Iberostar's reservation team. Now, 2 weeks after the fact, they finally get back to me to tell me that they will not, under any circumstance allow me to reduce the length of my stay without charging me for the full stay. Needless to say, I am not excited about being forced to pay for a room that I no longer want to stay in. I've traveled quite a bit, and have never come across a hotel/resort with such a restrictive cancellation policy. Based on my experience so far, I do NOT recommend this resort, or any Iberostar for that matter. Iberostar, shame on you for going back on your promise to help me out and allow a change.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Katie M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on trip advisor. We apologize if you felt you are not being assisted adequately and we kindly ask that you contact the hotel directly and we will do our utmost to assist where possible. The contact for the hotel is 876-680-0000 extension 1516 or 1515; please feel free to call as it will be our pleasure to assist in the best way possible. Thank you.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Just returned from Jamaica to attend Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival - Iberostar was the closest all-inclusive hotel from Montego Bay.

Pros:
Very beautiful hotel - check in went smoothly even though one couple had to change room because of cigarette odor
Our room was clean, AC worked well,
Restaurants - buffet restaurant was okay
Bar - my rum runners were pretty good - not limiting on rum

Japanese restaurant handled our food allergies well.
Beach was good - lots of sun and shade and available beach chaises.
Entertainment - staff on beach and pool area were very good and seemed to love what they do. They were able to get visitors involved in various activities.

Cons:
Though the hotel is beautiful - it has structural limitations. The lobby is closed off and to get to the beach you have to go down the corridor, find the elevator and go down 1 level. To get there you walk pass a patio area but even there you cannot see the pool and the beach because of the wall.
Because we were staying only 3 days we only had the choice of 1 night at a specialty restaurant (that was the limit given to us) and we had to join the Guest Services line to make reservations. The Guest services desk only had 1 staff member available at any time.

Room sink was clogged - but they fixed it within 2 hours
Mini Refrigerator (not!) did not cool
The balcony which overlooked the pool and the beach was walled so you had to stand up to enjoy the view.

Restaurant - being from Jamaica originally we were longing for more local food and fruits and were very disappointed. We ended up eating out at local restaurants more than we wanted to.

We had reservations at the Japanese restaurant one night - the sushi tasted like it was made the day before; no wasabi available, and the production of the hibachi was not timed well so we got the vegetables and noticed that they had not stated cooking the meats. If we had waited our veggies would have been too cold to eat. Then we got the fried rice and much later the meats - by then I was too full to eat.

WiFi - had to pay $45 per week available only on 1 device, I ended up paying $2US for 30 minutes just to print our boarding pass. To do so you have to then email the boarding pass to guest services and they will print it. Our travel agent (Apple Vacations) has an office in the hotel and they would not print our boarding passes for our return trip - would only book local excursions.

Transportation
We had a rental car but initially did not want to drive ourselves to Jazz Fest thinking that the hotel would either provide or we could arrange transportation through them. Even though this was a huge local festival with lots of people traveling to Jamaica for it, the hotel staff and local excursion desk kept sending us elsewhere because they did not know. We ended up driving ourselves.

Entertainment - every hotel resort that I have been to has evening entertainment activities and shows. This hotel had their evening shows in a large room (probably soundproof) so you could not even tell that something was happening. The hotel could provide a more lively Caribbean feel to the facility with music heard throughout.

Photo Staff - they await you at dinner time to take your photos since you are dressed for dinner (just like on cruise ships). The cost is unbelievable - $15US for 1 print, and $95US for a CD with 10 photos - what a ripoff!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 254DonnaG
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Guest,

The management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Resort would like to thank you for choosing our resort. The time taken to share your review is also appreciated; thank you. We are happy to hear that check in was smooth and that you enjoyed the beauty of our property.

In regards to making dinner reservations, kindly accept our humble apologies if your wait was extensive. The mini refrigerator is intended to keep items cool but not ice cold; in the event that it is not cool and it is reported, our maintenance team will correct. We have a selection of local dishes available however if you felt we could have a wider selection then we acknowledge your comment and will do our best to improve. The Japanese is normally regarded very highly, however this depends on each individual view therefore we are truly sorry if you were disappointed and we apologize for the delay in service that you experience. In regards to the boarding pass, please be advised that guest service can assist with this given that someone is available in the office. The hotel does not provide transportation services directly however taxis are available on property to transport our valued customers based on their request.

Thanks to you again for choosing Iberostar Rose Hall Beach and we hope your perception of our resort was not tarnished. Iberostar is committed to offering excellent services and we hope we will have the privilege to extend welcome to you again for another vacation.

Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Just returned from 7 wonderful days of fun and relaxation at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach. This was our first time in Jamaica, but it won't be our last. The staff and the Star Friends made our week one that we enjoyed very much. The beach was great! Every morning workers were out at 6:30 am raking leaves in the sand and making the beach beautiful for another day. We really enjoyed the fact that the beach had sun as well as shade so that everyone could stay together in a group whether you wanted a lot of sun, little sun, or no sun. It was great that the Star Friends had activities for all ages throughout the day. I especially enjoyed horseshoes, dancing, poolympics, volleyball.....it was all great. And the entertainment each evening --- what can I say but "It was fabulous". We enjoyed 5 of the six nights that we were there. We had a blast when we were chosen to be one of the four couples on stage on Thursday evening for the couples show. Thanks to everyone who put this on. It was a great evening and then to top it all off we won the contest!!!! The restaurants were great and served some fantastic food. We ate in the Japanese restaruant, the steak house, and the buffet. We didn't get to try the cajun restaurant as we liked the buffet too well and talking with others the cajun and steak house served about the same things. The rib-eye steak at the steakhouse was the best I have had in some time. I want to especially say thanks to the Star Friends that we got aquainted with on a daily basis. They all worked their tail off each day to make sure that we had a good time. Some of them even shook their tail during the dancing lessons and evening performances. They are a very talented group of individuals. A special thanks to Crazy Angel, Easy Breezy, and Tutsi Roll. They got me involved in alot of activities and I enjoyed it very much. Champaine, Smiley, Bootie Gail, and Sunshine worked hard too. I can't remember all of their names bur ALL of them did a great job!!!!!!

Room Tip: inside corner facing the ocean has a great L-shaped balcony and view of the beach are as well as the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank pmofoz
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Guest,

The management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach & Spa Resort wishes to express our gratitude to you for choosing our resort. We are delighted to hear that the exceptional services provided by our dedicated staffs were thoroughly enjoyed. We are grateful that your vacation was wonderful as truly this is our wish for all our valued customers. We will commend our staffs for contributing immensely to your vacation being wonderful! Congratulations to both on winning the show and we look forward to the next time we will have the pleasure to welcome you again. Your review is highly appreciated; thank you!

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Disappointed…First and Last Visit
I want to begin by saying that I am a huge lover of the Jamaican culture. When I visit Jamaica (or any place for that matter) my goal is to learn about the people and culture of the place I am visiting.
Iberostar is a Spanish owned resort. I did not realize the influence this would have on the resort, or I would never have booked. The resort hires Jamaicans to do the low level jobs like housekeeping and serving, but they hire their own for the “good” jobs like management and diving.
The hotel owners and their people are unfriendly, and I don’t even think that they understand English. They do not greet guests, and you do not get that overall friendly Jamaican vibe. There was a new girl training in the dining room, I tried telling two different managers what a good job she was doing, but they just looked at me confused.
They played Spanish music throughout the resort, and the servers were dressed in Spanish style dresses. Even when we asked the bartender if she could change the music to reggae, we were told that it could not be done and was controlled upstairs.
Another thing that really bothered me about this resort was that the dining rooms and theatre are indoors. The main buffet Little River has a small outdoor area. Again, I am in the Caribbean, I do not want to be inside!! The one open air restaurant Little Tony’s requires a cover up and flip flops. I even heard a man arguing with the staff that he was not wet before entering the beach bar. Hello, it is a beach bar!!
One fun thing was the Star Friends. They do a really great job at getting guests involved and keeping the mood up beat.
The resort and beach were nice and clean.
ROOMS: We stayed in room 1221, partial ocean view, overlooking the pool. The room was nice and had a great view but was very loud between shows and guests walking by late night. Some people complain about a musty smell. I smelled a slight musty odor, but you have to remember that you are in the Caribbean where it is constantly humid and wet. It was not overwhelming in any way.
They offer room service 11am-11pm but the menu is small and they do not bring beverages with room service. So you expect me to order food and then go get my own drinks? Does not make a lot of sense. They do have a mini bar with soda, water, and a few beers that gets filled every second day. What happens if I drink it all in one day, am I out of luck? Also, the food is not really good.
DINING: We mostly ate at Little River and Uncle Tony’s. Again, the main style of food is buffet. Gross buffet. I did not come to Jamaica to eat chicken nuggets and Spanish food inside. While they offered some Jamaican foods, and a variety of options, none of the food was very good. At Little River you can eat outside on the balcony once you get your food inside. Uncle Tony’s allows you an open air experience granted you are wearing shoes, a cover up, and you are dry.
We had dinner at Uncle Tony’s when it turns into the Steak House at night. This too was buffet style. The waiter did not do anything but take our steak order. Appetizers and dessert were buffet. The steaks were fatty and not very good. Also, they only offer beer and wine. It seemed this way for Little River as well. You cannot get a mixed drink at dinner. Did not eat at the Cajun or Japanese restaurant so I am not sure about these. Also, you cannot take food with you from the dining room and eat on the beach or bring something back to your room for later.
ENTERTAINMENT: The Star Friends were really fun. It seems like they are the only employees who are allowed to express their “Jamaican-ness”. The rest of the staff seems like they have to constrain to the Iberostar management style. The nightly entertainment was a bit disappointing. The Beach Party is really just games, then about 10 minutes of a fire dancer, and that’s it. The other shows are held in the INSIDE theatre, and include musicals, and something kind of like the newlywed game. Where are the steel drum bands, and dancers, etc??
Rose Hall Beach is the last of the properties
Overall, if you are just looking for a beach and all you can eat and drink, you will get that here. You will not get that special Jamaican feeling, and you will not feel like the resort cares about you. The employees as individuals are great, but you can tell that they are told to act a certain way by management.
There are cats that live on the resort, so if you love animals like I do, then remember to bring treats with you.
Also, please remember that the minimum wage in Jamaica is about $55US a week so don’t be shy about tipping. Even though this is all inclusive, if everyone tipped a couple bucks a day, it would make a big difference. Also, please make sure to tip the non-traditional roles like maintenance, cooks, cleaning, etc. as these people are usually behind the scenes making it possible for the bartenders and waitresses to do their jobs.
One Love. Respect.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank MrsBtz420
Dear Guest,

The management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Resort would like to thank you for choosing our resort. We are thankful that you acknowledge our resort for being clean and nice and also that the service provided by our energetic star friends were enjoyed. In regards to your comment, please be advised that Iberostar hires Jamaicans both for line staff as well as management; most of our department heads are Jamaicans as well as our Assistant General Manager. It is very surprising to hear that you found persons to be unfriendly as our employees, both Jamaicans and expatriates, are very polite. We are sorry if you were disappointed with the selection of Jamaican food available or if you felt the property lack the Jamaican ambiance. Our staffs are all allowed to freely express their selves given that it is in an appropriate and professional manner. In regards to the entertainment we do have shows with dancers as well as the steel band normally plays at the BBQ on Saturdays.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review; we will do our utmost to improve in areas where necessary. We trust that you will reconsider and visit again as we are committed to providing outstanding services. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again thereby giving you an opportunity to meet someone of our Jamaica managers and feel the Jamaican vibes! Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!