“Had a great time!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Fresh Meadows, NY
“Had a great time!”
Reviewed 30 August 2008

My husband, 9 year old daughter & I visited the resort last week and had a wonderful time. The check-in was fairly easy as our room was ready when we arrived, however, the person checking us in was a bit too cold & reserved for the role of welcoming visitors! Our bell hop was very professional & warm. Everyone else - particularly the staff in the restaurants - was welcoming and warm. Our server at the buffet remembered (after 1 day) what the 3 of us liked to drink & how I took my coffee!
The entertainment staff went out of their way to keep guests informed of all the activities without being pushy. Our daughter is somewhat shy and opted to spend most of her time with us at the beach, but the "Star Friends" sought her out and got her to participate in reggae lessons on the beach, and the mini fashion show without much stress. For the record, I hurt my back the night before the trip and was unable to participate in physical activities (notably dancing & swimming) but, the relaxed atmosphere and the very well trained staff made it a pleasure to be in Jamaica at the Iberostar Rosehall.

• Liked — The warmth of the staff
  • Disliked — It's pretty spread out so if you have pain walking, getting around can be difficult.
5 Thank jrosepal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,009)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 August 2008

Finally we've got an affordable deal for 4 ppl (2 kids + 2 adults) and flew to Jamaica. One of the reasons for choosing Jamaica over other Caribbean spots besides the good $$$ deal was the commute time and direct flight from Chicago to Montego Bay. It was only 3.5 hours. The experience with Air Jamaica airline was very good. We were treated with champagne lunch, and served food was tasty enough. (try to compare the very low level of services you might get, flying any american airlines.)

So, flight was great. Finally we arrived to the airport, and proceeded to the custom.

And here you go....We were staying almost 1.5 hours in huge line until we reach the custom officer. It was HORRIBLE. Very humid, no AC, lot of people around from different flights, just few huge fans, making noise. Well, we survived, and after picking our luggage up, we went to the Air Jamaica Travel Agent, who took our voucher and pointed to our bus driver. 20 minutes in a bus, and we finally arrived.

Check-in was quick. We already paid extra money to reserve ocean-view room on higher floor, and knew that we are going to have nice place to stay. Well, the room was even above our expectations. We were staying on the top floor, with both ocean and mount views. It was incredible.
With 2 kids on hands we did not go to any specialty-restaurants, and only used main and beach restaurants for our daily treats...

Food selection was pretty much the same on every day, but it was very tasty and all of us enjoyed it.
Jamaican guys are VERY friendly, smiling all the time, and all of them speak English, which is a huge plus.
We did not use pool area much, because we really like to be on beach and swim in the sea. Water was great. Beach has lot of trees that provide enough shadow for everyone. There are lot of small rocks in the water, so you need to watch out tho.

Rooms were cleaned, however we had hard time to get room service to refresh beverages in the fridge. For some reason hotel servants forgot to put soda/water for 4 days, and we had to have unpleasant talk with the lobby-manager.

Anyway, keep in mind that this is HOTEL, not RESORT, so you won't have long nice walk from your building to the beach, with birds and animals crossing your path.:) There are few feets from the building to the sandy beach. And we thought it was a huge plus.

Yes, the entertaining program was too loud, but it is load in every country/place we visit before.

Will we come back to the very same place? Probably not, but for sure we will try to get back to Jamaica for our next vacation.

• Liked — Location, location, location and distance from the airport
  • Disliked — Kids club and kids enterteining program at evening was very lame and poor.
2 Thank FamilyOf4Chicago
Reviewed 24 August 2008

Just returned--family of 5 with 3 kids ages 9 to 13.

Check in was a little stressful. We arrived with a large group of other incoming guests at 11:30 am. After waiting in a long line, we were told that our room would be ready at 3 pm as expected. When we came back at 3 pm, we waited in another line to receive our room keys. Other guests were told their rooms were not ready and the desk staff could not tell them when it would be ready. Some guests were furious and angry--was not a good way to start the lobby experience. The front desk tries their best but they could use some classes on friendliness--some were downright rude. This is the only place on the resort where you will encounter rude staff and not consistently.

We had lovely ocean front suites ( 2 rooms due to kidlettes ) and they were beautiful--beds comfortable, plenty of towels, minibar stocked daily ( I left a daily tip ), maid service wonderful ( daily tip ), good ac and great location. We were on the ground floor and although very convenient, we had a big problem with mosquitoes. My husband and I went on mosquito hunts every night before bed otherwise you wake with welts. We asked to be moved to a higher floor but we were told the resort was full--I did not believe this to be true based on the amount of people we saw thru the week.

The pool was lovely. The pool bar was frustrating at times--seemed understaffed and you could wait 10 minutes for a drink or longer. Sometimes there was 1 bartender on duty for a bar full of people. I felt bad for the little kids who waited so patiently for their ice cream or soda. Tipping did not help. The bartenders worked hard and were very friendly and funny. The poolside waitresses were wonderful--especially Virginia. These women work so hard in the sun--please tip them daily. Virginia would bring me a Red Stripe before I even asked for one--yes--I will have to change my user name after this vacation!

The activity staff was entertaining and hard working. I was hoping for more activities available for younger kids ( Lucy's miniclub was oriented to the very young ). I suggested a teen club with ping pong, bingo and other activities to keep the young occupied. Some of the pool deck dancing and games were a bit PG-13 rated to say the least.

Food was good. Japanese was our favorite and entertained the kids. Cajun and Steak House were OK--mosqitoes a big problem at the outdoor steak house. Buffet was always good--especially breakfast with good service and EXCELLENT expresso. Service EXCELLENT at all eating areas.

Scuba operation was very good--all 3 kids went diving including my 9 yr old son who did a little dive off the beach with a dive master in 5 feet of water!!! He loved it!!!! My 11 yr old daughter who turned 12 during our stay, did a resort course.

Overall, a great vacation. Wonderful Jamaican people and a beautiful resort.

• Liked — Jamaican people
  • Disliked — front desk, understaffed pool bar, lack of activities for kids/teens
6 Thank PAmom_321
Chicago
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I think some of the bad reviews I read...unfortunately after I booked our trip were written by people that have a hard time relaxing wherever they go. Let me start by saying the resort is not perfect but for perfection you would probably pay a lot more if in fact it exists. The people make Jamaica and make the resort also. The people at the check-in counter are either very nice or seem bothered depending on who you deal with. Relax and give them and yourself the time you need to check-in etc...The bartenders at the lobby bar are fantastic! Look for Godfrey in particular.He taught my eight year old daughter the Jamaican handshake. You will be amazed at how Jamaicans in general treat children.Love,Kindness and Respect mean everything to these people. On the same note,dont forget to tip generously if treated well by someone.Employees at Iberostar are only paid about 200 American dollars every two weeks and everything there costs about the same as here.The pool is in need of some repair but I am more of a saltwater person anyway. The food is very good and plentiful. So is the top shelf liqour they serve there. Another nice aspect of the resort is it isnt too large. The room we had was a fourth floor ocean-view room which was roomy,clean and did have a very nice view. If people staying at the resort would clean up after themselves on the beach etc...it would make the place that much better. If you are looking for a real quiet place it probably isnt for you,although it is much quieter if you go down to the beach and hang a left. This is where the flight crews and europeans hang out. Hats off to the dive shop staff...Marta,Kevin and his wife,Jason,all the boat hands whose names I dont know and especially Clement and Captain Dave! Go to the Iberostar with an open mind and let the Jamaican people show you how to relax/enjoy yourselves. Oh and by the way its better than Illinois any time of the year.

• Liked — Clean place and ultra-friendly people
  • Disliked — quality of the pool and its water (for my daughters sake)
3 Thank ChuckdChicago
CT
Reviewed 20 August 2008

The Iberostar calls itself a 5-Star hotel. Trust me this it is not, but considering you'll probably be paying a 4-star fee, you'll get your money worth. I am a Marriot Reward Member and will stay at nothing less. This hotel meets and exceeds those standards except for check-in and departure. Once you get past those two things (the sad part is I don't see that changing. You have to see errors and admit to a better plan to change. From recent post and 5 nights of oberservation I don't see a change) OK Back to what I was saying, after the check-in this place is GREAT. Looking to be pampered and waited on hand and foot, look elsewhere. Pay $$$ more. Looking for a VERY clean hotel with a courteous staff, this is the place.

Likes: Value, Food, Staff, Cleanliness
Dislikes: Check-in (very slow and disoganized) Check-Out (Moe of the same)

• Liked — Cleanliness and value
  • Disliked — Check-In
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mgpatterson
Bayside, NY
Reviewed 19 August 2008

FANTASTIC VACATION!! We just got back from this vacation on 8/18/08. I usually don't bother with writing a review, but this time, I think it's worth it.

Whether you are a couple planning a vacation getaway, or a family trying to find the right spot, I highly recommend Montego Bay, Jamaica. I can't really find anything wrong to say about this place.

Iberostar Rose Hall Beach just opened last May. It has a beautiful private beach, and the landscaping of the pool mixed in with the gardens where lovely. I loved the decor of the hotel. It was pleasing to the eye, and the all-inclusives (i.e. shops, entertainment, restaurants), were spread out very nicely. We stayed in a Jr. Suite oceanfront, and at night I would open the balcony and go to sleep listening to the waves hitting the beach. The room itself is nice, cozy and most of all, I really appreciated that it was CLEAN!!

I have three teens, and they really enjoyed themselves too. They Kayaked, snorkled, played volleyball, danced at the pool, played pool basketball, ate, scuba dived, and ate some more. We sipped on Pina Coladas by the beach and pool all day. You don't have to lift a finger at Iberostar. Everyone working there, really go out of their way to serve you.

If I had to point out what could be improved upon, it would be the front desk check-in. That took a little bit longer than usual, and the night life after 12 midnight could use a little boost. There was only one club, and after the 4th visit, we all kind of felt like we could use a change. But, the good stuff outweighs these minor details.

The food was fresh, tasty and abundant. Whatever your heart desires, they have it, and you can eat as much as you want, as often as you like. We really liked the Japanese, and Steak house restaurants. But, even if you don't want to get a little formal, the buffets were just as good, if not better.

So, overall we would definitley go back again. We had a great time, and I can't stress how much fun the staff all are. They were helpful, and made our stay that much more enjoyable. They always had a smile on their faces! Look for Nordet, Tamara, Crazy Kenny, Dr. Dre, Theresa (front desk), and Beveny at the beach (a sweetheart with an infectious smile). Shout out to Mike and his wife from Connecticut. Was nice to meet you. Hope you had fun!

Nitsa, Bayside, New York

• Liked — CLEAN ROOMS, BEAUTIFUL LANDSCAP
8 Thank NYNitsa
Easton, MD
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Recently, my husband and I vacationed at the Iberostar Rose Hall, Jamaica. I'll start w/the positives. The staff was friendly and very helpful. If you had a problem, it was fixed immediately. As far as food, the buffet was better than most, and the Steak House was excellent. We also visited the Japanese restaurant, and it was good. We did not go to the Cajun Restaurant as we heard several times that it was not worth it. The drinks were fine, but I would not recommend the house wine. Rather, have a Red Stripe.
The grounds were very attractive and well kept. The hotel, all in all, was beautiful and very clean.
Negatives: The water was full of seaweed and other things. I'm not sure if there was anything the hotel could have done abt it. It made wading impossible, but if you went further out to swim, it didn't seem to be a problem. Next, we were upgraded to a waterfront suite. This was a good thing, but the room had a very musty ordor. House- keeping changed the vent . but unfortunately, it didn't help.
Since this is a very new hotel, I imagine some of the bugs will be ironed out over time.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — as a new resort, it needs time to get things right
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!