“Wonderful Holiday!”

Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 February 2009

I agree with all the good reviews I have read here: Beautiful hotel, big bathroom, nice room, lots of clothing space. I'll try to add some thoughts of my own to help others.

Weather: Hot with a breeze in the daytime so that the sand never got too hot to walk on, warm in the evenings needing only a light sweater or wrap for the breeze.

Beach: Big and sandy, about 2 miles long covering all 3 hotels. Yes, it is a man-made beach but we wouldn't have known it if we hadn't been told. The sand is not as fine powdery as we've seen in some other paces like Aruba or Cancun, but nice enough. The ocean is warm and swimable. You can walk out about 100 feet (or more) and the water will not be over your head. It's roped off the length of the beach at that level. We had no trouble walking in the ocean without shoes but stepped carefully in case there were hidden rocks, which we never found. I loved the fig trees (and others) that provided shade at the Beach hotel. Most of the beach is filled with palapas only. Let me add that this is the first resort I have been to that it was not necessary to save a cot with a towel in the early morning to be assured of a place in the shade. You could always find one.

Pools: I never went in the pools because the water was too cold for me. Those that did said that once you were in you got used to the water. Not to my liking. I wish the hotel had one heated pool or at least a heated hot tub. I heard many people express the same thought. It would make the swimming experience so much nicer. I've been to Los Cabos and Nuevo Vallarta with heated pools that were heavenly.

Staff: The entertainment staff, as well as the wait staff, were very friendly. No one walked by without saying hello with a smile. The girls at the towel shack went to the trouble of asking your name upon first meeting you. From then on they remembered and used your name every time they saw you.

Service: We were constantly asked if we wanted a drink at the pools or at the beach. In the buffet we never waited for coffee or water or to have out plates removed. Someone was there as soon as we sat down. The staff was very attentive. There was always vacant tables.

Specialty Restaurants: We found the food good in all of them. The decor in the Japanese and Jambalia restaurants was fun and added to the ambiance. The steak restaurant decor was ordinary but they served good steaks. The buffet was always good.

Market: Next to our hotel is a market that the hotel does not advise you going to. We went and were pleasantly surprised. The people there were friendly and not as aggressive as we've encountered in Mexico. We bought some t-shirts and hats and had nice chats with the vendors. When we left they thanked us for coming there. We went a second time with the same results.

Day Trip: We hired a taxi from the hotel (George) for several hours and he took us on a great tour around Montego Bay. We went up into the mountains to see how the poor people lived, to a fishing village, up the other side to Richmond Hill Inn for a great view of the area, to a few shopping areas, into downtown MB, and to see the homes of the wealthy people. I recommend this to anyone wanting to get a feel of Jamaica.

Evening Entertainment: The shows were good compared to many I've seen in Mexico. The performers are excellent dancers who work very hard to please.

The Front Desk and Courtesy Desk: I was annoyed that neither would make a phone call for me. To confirm my pick up for the airport they told me that I had to go to my room to make the call. That was a long way just to make a phone call. At any other hotel the concierge has always gladly done that.

In closing I'd like to say that I loved Jamaica and plan on returning again, perhaps to this resort, or another area since I've not seen it all in this first trip.

10  Thank goldie
Write a ReviewReviews (4,546)

Reviewed 3 February 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach from January 24th-31st. We echo most of the positive reviews posted to date and had a fantastic holiday. The resort is extremely clean & well-maintained, and the overwhelming majority of staff were friendly, professional and down-to-earth. I will try to provide a concise overview of what to expect without being too repetitive.

1) Arrival - We flew in from Montreal on Air Canada, and the check-in time at the hotel is 3 pm. Given that we got there at 1 pm, we had a couple of hours to wait before our room was ready. Some others did not have to wait, so it's "luck of the draw" on this one. We got changed and went out to the beach, as you can leave your luggage in the lobby. The check-in process can be slow as there are minimal staff at the counter. Rather than get frustrated, get used to it as things are much more laid back in general.

One important point is that the resort is really three different properties. The "Beach" is the "economy" property, the "Suites" are more upscale (expensive) and the last one (cannot recall the name) is the highest-end property of the three. If you are at the Beach resort, you cannot access the other two. The other two can access the beach resort. Guests at each property are given different colour wristbands for the week, and the staff will stop you if you try to acess a higher-end property.

Rooms - Very clean & well appointed. Excellent shower & bed was extremely comfortable. Hairdryer & AC worked fine, and TV had access to lots of US & Canadian channels (although we didn't watch much!). No complaints whatsoever. We left $2 every morning and the room was always immaculate cleaned when we got back.

Restaurants - You're allowed 3 a-la-carte reservation over the 7 days. It's best to make the reservations upon arrival. Seatings start at 6:30 and go on every half hour until 9:30 I believe. The counter right nex to the check-in handles the reservations, and they give you a ticket that you have to bring when you show up. The steakhouse and Japanese were outstanding, and the Cajun was very good. For guys, you have to wear pants at all but the Steakhouse (it's outdoors). Service was always friendly and courteous. The buffets were excellent as well on those nights that we had no reservations (lobser, steak, etc.)

Drinks - We don't drink much, but they seemed to make the simple drinks we asked for without trouble. They use domesic brands for the most part, but who can tell the difference after enough of them!

Activities - Lots to do if you want to. We played volleyball & tennis everyday. There's a pro to give lessons and 3 courts to use, and raquets and balls are provided. The beach is "man made" but the water is excellent and we had no complaints.

All in all an outstanding property with excellent service and amenities. Well worth the money in my view.

10  Thank shakkazulu
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Well...where do I even begin?? (for those of that have read this once before, I revised it, upon suggestion of a trip advisor member)

We stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach from the week of the 12th of Jan- 19th.

We have never been to Jamaica and were getting mixed reviews from people when we told them we were going. Let me just say, that I have never felt safer and more welcome than I did in Jamaica.
My husband, 18 year old daughter , 5 year old daughter and I went.
Upon arrival, we were met by a very friendly Air Canada Rep that was excited to see everyone. The resort is about 20 minutes away from the airport and that is true..it seems in Mexico it will be 1/2 away from the airport but AFTER you drop everyone off it's an hr and a half!!

Anyway, entrance to the resort is beautiful and the check in staff were so friendly, and just happy to have us there. We got our rooms right away and we had ajoining rooms..note to families with kids I'm sure there is lots of these rooms but ours was 1218/1219 and it was a nice location.

The pools are a little chilly but as the day goes on it warms up and yes, there are a few pool tiles missing?? Ummmmm I honestly think that are people out there that "LOOK" for things wrong.

We went to the evening entertainment shows, and got to know the staff quite well, especially a little girl named Kiesha, her mom works with the entertainment crew, so my 5 year old hung out with her and they had so much fun together, she's a very friendly little girl. There is a nightly show for the kids to be involved in where they teach the kids certain dances and they love it and if there is enough kids, they will have little competitions during the day and hand out awards on stage. There were only 2 shows that needed work and that was the Miss Iberostar show, and the Couples one...not appropriate for kids to watch.

Rooms were clean and we had no issues with really anything, I needed extra towels and they were brought up to my room in an efficient manner. I believe all rooms have a balcony or at least from the veiw by the pool, there are lots of balconies.

The food was all great..there are 2 options for breakfast as well as for lunch so for you sleepers (the indoor one is open 7-10am) you can catch breakfast at another buffet that is by the beach, not as much selection as the indoor one, same for lunch.

There is a little shopping area that is right on the beach just beside the resort. As you go over there, the security warn you that you are leaving Iberostar property and that they are not responsible. They have to do that, don't worry though, I would just make sure you take someone with you I took my oldest daughter. There is a bunch of tables set up and people selling everything from jewellery to shells. The people selling you stuff will be smoking weed most likely so be prepared for that. I'm glad we went it was a cool experience and one we got there, we saw alot of people from the resort shopping there too. There is also a guy in a water boat that will sell you stuff too, he is just on the other side of the buoys, so you have to swim out to him, we bought 2 big shells and a wooden carving and then my husband just swam back to shore with them above his head.

There is a beach party on Wed eve ....you MUST go to that!! It was so much fun.

We did 2 excursions, one to Dunns River Falls and the other to Dolphin Cove. The Falls are a must but if you go to Mexico often, I would do Dolphins there, because it was double the price in Jamaica. It was $800.00 U.S dollars for 4 of us to do the Falls and 4 of us to get into Dolphin Cove and only 2 of us swam with the Dolphins.

I bought water shoes or water socks for the beach, it's a little rocky and for the Falls too..u need them.u can buy them there or rent them but what we paid to be able to use them at the resort was cheaper than renting them, I bought them at Canadian Tire $8.99 as opposed to Swimco $28.99.

I also brought Bubba Kegs from Canadian Tire to house all my drinks, it keeps them cold and it was 52 oz YA MON!!! so you don't have to keep bugging the waitress.

PLEASE if you are going to any resort bring $100.00 in U.S dollar bills and tip the people that serve you. It shocks me how many people will not pull out a single dollar to tip.

I tip the waitresses/waiters/bellboys and the housekeeping staff a buck or 2 each time. I usually put a dollar in the fridge in my room too, for the staff that fill up my fridge.

We went into Montego Bay one day with a staff member for lunch and went shopping to the "Hip Strip"..shopping area in Montego Bay with a local and went for lunch to Scotchies (you'll pass it on your right on the way to your resort). It was awesome authentic Jerk food!

I could go on and on about how amazing this resort is....I guess i just did!!!

You will no doubt have an amazing vacation..I critique hotels and restaurants, and to be honest am a little particular about where I stay and eat.

Be careful about other reviews you may read, honestly, I have travelled all over and CANNOT wait to go back to this Resort!!!

8  Thank Caraly L
Reviewed 24 January 2009

My husband and I took our 3 children (ages 6,9,11) and also mother-in-law and brother to this resort. We were looking for a little bit of everything.
We consider ourselves very picky when it comes to hotels, so I was not sure what to expect.
This resort met and exceeded our expectations in all areas except for maybe the nightlife.
There is a disco at the Suites next door, but it is limited to hotel guests and staff, so it really depends on the crowd staying at the hotel at that time.
The resort is very clean and absolutely beautiful. Marble and tile everywhere. The grounds are well kept and the pools areas are clean.
The rooms are nice, beds are comfy. Bring a watch or a clock though. There are none in the rooms.
The staff are awesome in all areas and go out of the way to make your stay great.
We did have a few glitches with the room initially, but the front desk was quick to sort everything out.
The pools are clean and a bit cold, but it really is nice in the heat.
They would benefit from a hot tub. We were disappointed not to see one.
The food was good, we did prefer the buffet to the restaurants due to selection and dress code!
Drinks were good, but only draught beer. Bottled beer is for sale.
The entertainment was excellent for kids and adults.
The kids loved the kids club and the mini disco. Special thanks to Neesha, who the kids loved.
The beach was well kept and well staffed. There were plenty of waitresses around, along with lifeguards, grounds keepers, etc.
Overall, we had an awesome stay and would recommend this hotel to anybody.
We also recommend heading to Negril to check out the beach and Rick's café. Amazing Sunset!
The Dolphin Cove is great for the kids, but is expensive.
Don't forget to bring a lot of American dollars for tipping!
The staff deserve it!

5  Thank KingCalgary
Reviewed 24 January 2009

Had a great time @ Rose Hall Beach. Here's our stay:

Check in: we arrived early (1 pm) room wasn't ready until 3pm. The hotel wasn't even close to being fully, but my wife and I used to work at hotels ourselves, so we know the game, and weren't worried, as we changed into our swimsuits and hit the pool.

Pool area: A little windy, but clean, women can't go topless by the pool, so it appears really great atmosphere for kids. Lots of activities, Pool bar: fast, friendly service, never had to wait too long.

Beach: Servers on beach will get you a drink, or you can go get one yourself at the beach bar. There's also a beach restaurant where you can pour your own draft (red stripe) and get food at the buffet. They also have nachos and cheese like at a ball game! Totally awesome! The beach itself has some rocks, and lots of seaweed. The staff is constantly raking the weeds, so at least they're trying. It wasn't an issue for us. There are 3 Iberostar resorts in a row: Beach, Suites, and Adults/couples only. You can walk the whole stretch of beach, which from the pier to the adults/couples beach, takes about 20 minutes depending on pace. The beach loungers are plentiful, and we never had a problem getting two. If you are a beach person, I recommend setting up at the Beach Hotel property line (indicated by a line of very small palm trees right before the Suites property). When the sun starts to go down, it's one of the last places to go down.

Lobby: Lobby is amazing. Lots of marble everywhere, grand staircase leading to downstairs, very impressive. Again, very clean. Lobby bar service is a bit slower then the other bars, but don't take this to mean it's slow. It's still pretty quick service in my opinion.

Room: We were on the 5th floor (top floor) with a garden view. We were able to see the sun come up every morning, which was kinda cool. We did hear dogs barking periodically, and some loud cars/trucks on the road, but either a pillow over the head, or some ear plugs (which we had) worked fine. I recommend ear plugs to anyone staying in any hotel anywhere, because you just don't know. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've stayed in, and the pillows were great too. Bathroom was very clean, plenty of hot water as well. Mini bar was replenished every other day as indicated, but it didn't keep drinks cool, it was more of a storage. I asked our neighbor if they had same issue, and they did. We called to see if it could be fixed, the girl indicated that's how they are. We just grabbed some ice and cooled drinks that way. Why make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Buffet: Was great, breakfast you could get eggs how you like em, omelet’s, oatmeal, cereal, bacon, sausage, hash browns, yogurt, more fruit than you could imagine, more fruit juices you could imagine too!

Lunch: plenty of breads for sandwiches, but maybe a bit lacking on choice of meat. We noticed ham, and at one point roast beef, but that's about it. There's chicken nuggets, fries, hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza for kids. Pasta, jerk chicken, salads galore.
Dinner: We had fajitas one night, roast beef w/ mash potatoes and roasted veg, turkey, chicken, salads, ribs (yes-RIBS). They mix it up really well at the buffet.

A la Carte: We were a little disappointed in the Japanese and Cajun. Cajun I had Iberostar jambalaya, and I’ve had spicier jambalaya here in Canada, service there was okay. Japanese, my wife had the octopus and said it was amazing. I had shrimp and salmon, and it was good, but the appetizers were mediocre (sushi and dim sum veggies).
Steakhouse. If you get 3 a la cartes, use them all at the steakhouse if you're a meat lover! I had the rib eye, my wife had the tenderloin, both Medium rare. We joked about how it would probably be a well done 6 ounce hockey puck, but WOW, cooked to perfection, and both were at least 10 oz cuts, and both were best meal we had.

Weather: Great, sunny, some clouds from time to time. We had a day of rain, but the staff made every effort to keep people amused. The staff does a really good job in both good/bad weather.

Tipping: take lots of US dollar bills, you'll need them.

Gym: The gym facility was great. They have Life Fitness machines and dumbbells.

All in all we were very happy with the Iberostar and would definitely look into going back to this hotel or one of their others.

10  Thank FlexitarianCouple
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Clean well laid out facility with excellent beach
Servcie and food in restaurants very good with a nice slection
Restaurants have limited service as three require reservations and the other 2 rotate being open
room service only available 11am to 11 pm
Bar servic e in lobby very slow and although premium brands available some times not always. Only one beer selection and that is the tap beer.
A great place if they improve bar service

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank mobyone
Reviewed 13 January 2009

We just returned from our stay at the Iberostar (Jan.2-9)
I travelled with my husband and our 3 children (16, 12, 8).
I cannot say enough about how friendly the Jamaican people are at this resort. From the moment we arrived they did not want us to lift a finger, they had everything under control. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The hotel itself is beautiful, marble floors and wide open views to the sea, the pool and the grounds.
We did not try any of the a la cartes, but the buffets we great with plenty to choose from. The entertainment staff worked hard to make your stay enjoyable. They knew your name and that made a great impression on us. We went zip lining, what a thrill!!! The vensdors who are off property are abit too agressive, but just be polite and they get the message. All in all, we had a great stay and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who appreciates feeling like you are truly among people who know you and care if you have a good time.

2  Thank alluis
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!