Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$415
US$322
  • Pool
Jewel Grande Montego Bay Resort & Spa(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$797
Half Moon(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$444
US$409
Travelocity
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$217
  • Breakfast included
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$599
US$459
Bookit.com
4,660 results
All reviewscajun restaurantrose hall beachjambalayalobby barentertainment staffmontego baystring beanscupcakessteakfood was greatstar friendsguest servicesa la carte restaurantsmain buffetocean viewevery other dayother resorts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 April 2009

Stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Resort over Easter Weekend April 2009. After searching TONS of all inclusive resorts, my girlfriends and I decided this one the best bang for our buck. The hotel/resort is huge. Reminds me of the all-inclusives in Mexico. The same sort of idea: bug pool area, swim up bar, entertainment, couple restaurants on the premisis, etc. The grounds were nicely kept and the overall hotel is rather tidy.

The pool area is nice and the service for drinks at the bar was also good. The drinks started off fairly tame, but as the afternoon wore on, they sure did get stronger... I found myself taking shots in the pool with the other 30 or so people that were drunk too (haha). There is an all-day snack/buffet around the corner of the pool. It's not in the best location as you cannot see it in plain site, you have to walk around the building. The food there is mediocre, pool-side stuff so don't expect gourmet meals.

Our room as "ok". I'm a neat freak and for some reason, I just didn't feel it was super clean. (Disclaimer: I am used to staying at higher end marriotts, etc so my opinion may be biased.) We had an "ant issue" in our room our first night. Had to have housekeeping come and in and spray the whole room down and clean it top to bottom. We wanted to just switch rooms, but we were told everything on the property was sold out. I didn't buy this since it seemed the place wasn't full at all. Oh well. The bathroom was nice and roomy though which was a plus.

The Iberostar property at Rose Hall is designed in such a way that there are actually 3 resorts in one location: Iberostar Grand, Iberostar Suites and Iberostar Beach. The staff at each definitely puts you in your place once you get there. You get tagged like wildlife with a plastic wristband which indicates the hotel at which you are staying. If you happen to stray to one of the other properties, you will be escorted back to your hotel. No joke. Its quite medieval. One night my friends and I decided to take a walk. We strolled over to the Suites and asked if we could get to the beach through the lobby. We were promptly taken by golf cart back to the Iberostar Beach hotel entrance and dropped off like stow-aways. Strange, very strange.

It wasn't a bad stay (had fun hanging by the pool, doing excursions outside the hotel, etc) however I probably won't go back as there are probably better experiences elsewhere in Jamaica.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2009

This hotel was everything advertised. the buffets had many choices for the most difficult eator.A lalcarte rest.,steakhouse (dress shorts allowed),cajun,and japanese were amazing. You should make your reservations right after you check in. According to your stay you are guaranteed reservations for a weeks stay of three reservations. the rooms were clean and and refig. well stocked with beer,soda ,and water . The pools were good and the beach was very good for Montego Bay

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank artcaribe
Reviewed 23 April 2009

We stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach from April 16th to the 20th, 2009. Just a quick trip to relax and get away. This review is my opinion based on our experiences and I would recommend this resort to anyone!

Check In:
We arrived at the resort around 3:30pm, The actual process to check in took roughly 20 minutes as we checked in with my brother and his wife at the same time. We were told out rooms weren't quite ready yet and to check back in 20 minutes. We walked over to the restaurant reservation desk and made our dinner reservations, we were only able to get the Japanese place as a couple wedding parties booked the Steak House over the weekend. We put our names down on the wait list for Sunday. We also took care of our bus transfers and checked out some tours at the info desk which is beside the restaurant reservation desk. 30 minutes had passed and we headed back to see if our rooms were ready, which they were. The bellman helped us to our rooms, my brothers keys worked but our didn't, so a quick walk back to the check in desk and everything was good.

Rooms:
Very nice rooms with a comfortable bed, great selection of TV channels and the safe is big enough to hold a 15 inch laptop. As read in others reviews, we had no face clothes, no big deal. The mini fridge was stocked and restocked on the 2nd day as stated. The air conditioner was very quite and worked well and there is also a ceiling fan. Our towels were replaced daily. We left tips each day for the house keeping staff, I wouldn't say it had any bearing on the level of service we received. On the mysterious face cloth situation... we did get face clothes on the last cleaning day of our trip :).

Resort Amenities:
The resort has 2 large pools, one with a great swim up bar. There is a cigar lounge which we did not use, as well as a small lounge on the main outside level, they had sports on each night and we were able to catch the hockey games each night! We never did check out the gym so I can comment on that. There is also a nice lounge in the main hall which we used a couple times, it was quite busy in the evenings. We mostly just grabbed a table outside the entertainment theater, they had waitresses and it was nice and quite. We also used the internet room, $5 usd for 30 minutes, internet was quick enough to check email etc. They also have 2 pool tables and a ping pong table.

Pool Area:
I only comment on the pools because I read a lot of reviews saying the pools were very cold... I didn't find the pools cold at all unless it was first thing in the morning or nearing the end of day as the sun set and even then I wouldn't say they were unbearable. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the coldest I would say the average temperature was a 6 to 7 in my opinion. I thought it was great as we had excellent weather all trip, so it was nice to cool off when we wanted. We split our time about 50/50 between the ocean and the pools. There were plenty of loungers that were usually available at all times. We typically made it down to the pool around 10ish and were still able to grab 4 chairs together, either on the pool deck or the beach. If you wanted loungers with shade then yes, those were usually taken very early. On our last day, we hit the pool at about 8:30am and most of the shaded lounger chairs were already 'reserved'. The pool had a great swim up bar and I never had to wait more than a few minutes, Gary was the man! He always remembered what I drank and would just ask, same thing? Yes please.

Beach Area:
As some reviewers stated, the sand isn't the 'best', but really its sand, what more do you need, its not like you roll around in it (well maybe some people do...) but all in all the beach was great, it was kept clean, plenty of shade if you wanted it, plenty of loungers available. They had waitresses that were always around! The water was nice and warm and they also had a great snorkel area just past the rope off water, plenty of fish to see and the odd sting ray. Some people complained of seaweed etc... its the ocean, not sure what your asking for here, but the stuff drifts into the beach now and then. I always saw staff cleaning it up, but you cant expect them to around 24/7 each time some drifts in...

Food:
I'm not a picky eater by any means, so with that said.., The buffet was good, they always tried to change things up for the main dishes and I think they did a good job at this. The rest of the food was pretty much the same each day, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I could see if you stayed for a week or more how it could become tiring. We ate at the Japanese place once, it was just OK, we actually only had the 4 of us and another couple and their daughter seated at the table. The food was just like any other teppanyaki house in my opinion and the portion sizes were huge. (Im not a big eater). We were also able to get into Tony's steak house by luck, this was by far the best restaurant at the resort that we ate at, Id find it hard to believe if anyone has a bad meal here. Can't comment on the Cajun place as we didn't eat there, but it always looked empty when we walked by.

Booze was always plentiful, as others have said, its not 'top shelf' but that isn't going to ruin a vacation for me, the end result is the same right? I also didn't find them watered down, some drinks were way to stiff for my liking, but I'm not one to waste a drink. ;c)

Grounds/Resort Cleanliness:
The place was ALWAYS kept clean, each area was never dirty and if it was we always found staff cleaning it up. They do a great job of keeping the place clean!

Staff:
I cant say anything bad about any staff we encountered, they were always smiling or asking if we needed anything, obviously everyone has a bad day, so the people who say they encountered horrible staff, maybe it was their bad day.

Tipping:
I tipped each day for room cleaning, at the restaurants and I also tipped for every order of drinks. I did not tip expecting better service, nor do I think it made a difference in the level of service we received. If you only tip with the exception of getting faster service or a certain type of beer in your mini fridge or the mysterious face clothes then I recommend going to the Rose Hall Grande, plain and simple.

All in all we had a great time, we went to relax and catch some sun, never had any problems. We will definitely be back and I would recommend this resort to anyone!!

So if your the type of person who bases their trip experiences as a bad one because you didn't get face clothes, red stripe in your mini fridge, missing pool tiles, some seaweed on the beach or didn't get that perfect lounger spot then I wouldn't recommend the RH. Beach but do recommend the RH. Grande, you get your own personal butler who can look after all the small things most people don't sweat.

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

No Problem Mon'!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Cykosis
Reviewed 21 April 2009

This trip started out very rough, but ended up great.

Booked our trip with Air Canada Vacations 24 hours before we left. When we arrived at the airport we were advised that our tickets had been voided. Thankfully, we were allowed to board our connecting flight so that we would make the direct flight the next morning to Jamaica. When we got to the Richmond hotel we were told they didn't have our reservations. It took about 30 minutes to get this straightened out. Booked a 2 bedroom suite with a hideabed. The living room was so small that you couldn't pull the hideabed out fully - furniture in the way! Tried to move the furniture but it was either 500 lbs or nailed to the floor. Person slept on the coach.

The next morning at 5am phoned ACV and got our tickets reissued (YES - ACV had voided them - no one knew why!!). Throughout the booking and re-issuing of tickets process I had asked at 3 different times if there were seats in Executive Class. Each time the answer was no. I happened to ask one last time when we were checking in and , low and behold, 4 seats available. Paid the upgrade and had a great flight down.

Upon arrival at Iberostar: we had booked 2 rooms with 2 beds in each. We got 2 rooms with 1 bed in each. Back down to reception... Managed to get one room with 2 beds but were stuck with one with one bed. The one bed room was on the road side so it was very noisy and stunk like mold. The kicker came at 11pm that night when I was in bed watching tv and found ants crawling on me. Needless to say I was on the phone, requested the GM because the front desk staff really aren't that helpful, and got another room the next day.

After that, we had a great time. Food was fine - no one got sick. Entertainment staff were a lot of fun. Went on the Jamaica Bobsled (great fun!) and Dunns River (don't miss). We also shopped in Montego Bay for the Blossom Garden Orphanage. Took loads of items to them and stayed and interacted with the children. Were able to feed and cuddle the babies and play with the older children.

That was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. Please, if you can, bring/buy items for the kids. There are always schools, orphanages, daycare, etc. that are so needy. Whenever we travel I do a search on Google for an orphanage or school to visit and donate items to, help out, etc. It really is rewarding.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2009

A few friends and I stayed here from 4/10 to 4/14. The resort is beautiful - most of the grounds are very well maintained. There was an area outside our balcony that was all dead foliage, but we did see workers out there on two occasions, so hopefully they are working to improve this. It was very clean and well kept. The staff was friendly and helpful most of the time. There is a little miscommunication between some staff areas - we were told in the gift shop that we could get change at the front desk to use for tips, but the front desk staff did not want to do this for us. Overall though, very friendly. We had one of the dancers sit with us at breakfast on our last day, and she told us all about what her job was like, where she lived, local food, and anything we asked about. The tour desk staff was also very friendly and helpful.

The room was great. There are no clocks anywhere, though, so we had to depend on our cell phones for alarm clocks. We did have to call down for towels - they always left two even though there were three of us in the room - but we did get them quickly.

Uncle Tony's had great steak, but this was the only restaurant we tried. The buffet food was good, but it could get repetitive. We ate at several times during the meal times, and food always seemed fresh. We ordered room service once, and it took quite a while for them to answer. Once they did, we received our food within 25-30 minutes. The fries were not hot, but the pizza was.

We did have a great time. We would all go back and would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends