“No Problems Mon”

GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“No Problems Mon”

April 24-29th.
A group of 5 girls, all in their early 20's and for most of us this was our first trip to a resort outside of Canada.

We were quite anxious, especially after reading some reviews on trip advisor =S.

Upon arriving to Jamaica, we were blown away by the humidity.. we were complaining then but miss it now!

We arrived on a Wednesday and the immigration line was HUGE, it took at least a good hour and half. On this note, make sure when you're leaving you provide yourself ample time as well.

Check in - The lady was not so nice upon check-in, we were told our rooms were not ready (it's about 4pm) we told her this wasn't acceptable......we were quickly then given our room keys. We had asked for adjoining rooms facing the ocean, we're told the Hotel was at full occupancy and not possible. Regardless our rooms were a floor apart.. and we could always see each other walk to their rooms. The room situation worked out well, we had a view of the ocean/pools and the other of the country side.

Rooms - very clean, we were worried about musty smells.. but there were none. Rooms were large, minifridge was well stocked.. though we didn't use it much.. you could typically find us at the bars. AC and ceiling fan were a blessing from the humidity, balconies were an additional plus (compared to what the hilton looks like.. this hotel looks amazing!!)

We made our dinner reservations right after getitng our room keys, we were able to get two confirmed bookings at the Steak House and Japanese restaurant. I'm sure if we tried we could have gotten one at the Cajun restaurant as well. The restauraunts were delicious.. don't expect Japanese to be an over-the-top cultural experience.. but the seafood everywhere is so fresh and tastes great! Being from Alberta I didn't have high expectations of the Steak House.... all I can say is get the Tenderloin!!! It's great! They definately undercook.. so always order one up (I ordered a medium steak and received a PERFECT medium rare!). I understand how the buffet can get boring.. we got bored of it too.. but they try hard.. just mix it up.. there's always lots to choose from.

We read about the towel issue before arriving.. we requested for more immediately.. took some time to arrive.. we made do with the towels. Room service for food took a little while.. easier to just visit the buffet. Didn't like the ceasar salad at all.

Bars - Lobby bar is always packed.. this hotel is a great venue.. we always found a new place to hang out and relax for an hour with some drinks in the evening.. maybe on the lobby terrace, or on the grounds by the pools/waterfall..it's always absolutely breath taking. We went to the Hotel "Disco" three of the nights we were there.. had lots of fun.. the crowd dies around 12am.. but we're young so we partied till at least 2am.

Pools - very clean.. never too full... we always found a place to relax either by the pool or the beach. For a hotel at full occupancy it never felt like that. Mid-day we would make it onto the beach/pool and always find atleast 5 chases next to each other. The beach didn't have much sand.. and there were lots of leaves.. but I'd rather have the trees than no leaves in the sand. To see a beautiful beach.. visit Negril! There was always drink service on the beach as well.

Tips - eeek.. make sure you bring enough ones! We tipped for our room every day, our table for lunch/dinner, and at the bars as we usually stayed for quite a while. We only had one bad incident with tipping which kind of threw me off.. the bellman came into our shuttle (to take us back to the hotel) and advised us that one room did not tip us and he came up all the way to get our bags.. I thought we tipped enough from one person to cover both rooms.. if bellmans expect tips from each person/room then the hotel management definately should make this clear.

Hotel Staff - We were able to overlook any small issues with the hotel simply due to the hotel staff. The bartenders were always fun, and kept our drinks coming. (The bartenders at the disco we're by far the best!) However, it was the Entertainment staff that really made this trip enjoyable for us. Each memory of ours includes one of the entertainers! The shows at night were always fun (have a few drinks first as they can be kinda cheesy!) The entertainers probably are some of the hardest working individuals! They always had stuff to do.. from pool side activities, to providing knowledge about Jamaica, goofing around, sports, jokes etc! The guys were always a riot, MJ, Rayon, Flames, they always kept us laughing. Big Mama, Ebony, Pardise.. and a few more I can't quite remember were great lady entertainers.. taught us how to dance, and told us about the hot spots! Take the time to talk to them, they are all genuine people who made this resort vacation very enjoyable!

We went to Margaritaville on a Saturday - where we paid $10 USD to get in (way more than what we ever pay to club in Canada!)
Visited a local club "Pier 1" on the Friday Night.. it was a great experience, good DJ.. We left by 1:30 am which I recommend to anyone.. safety purposes.

We made a day trip to Negril, surrounding towns and Rick's Cafe... this was a great value! We got to see the inside of Jamaica.. a real sight seeing tour.. a perfect beach and an amazing sunset at Rick's Cafe. We hired our Taxi Driver.. Mr. Green (best driver we have ever had.. he took great care of us.. which we sincerely appreciated.. just ask for him at the conceirge) Paid $200 for the whole day.. which we thought was a great value (each way is approximately 1.5 - 2 hours).

Rick's Cafe - beautiful sunset. Food was bland.. very Americanish.. but after a starving day we didn't mind.. price was typical bar price for food.. the drinks we're fun! Cliff divers were entertaining.. stop by to take great pics!

Some of our group went on the Cools Running tour and said it was the best part of their trip. I didn't go so I won't say anything more.

Over all.. I will definately go back to Jamaica.. this hotel is perfect for families.. when in Jamaica.. don't let the small things bug you, enjoy the beach, sand and carefree days. We might try a different hotel... however; for what we paid.. this hotel was a steal of a deal! Great Value!

5 Thank jaggerbomb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We arrived at the hotel about 4 and were able to get into our room right away. Unfortunately we had requested a twin room but were given a double room. We asked this to be changed but they could not do it until the following day. This did not spoil the holiday for us. The hotel was huge, clean and the staff were very friendly. They always wanted to talk to you but if you didn't want to they just left you alone.
The rooms were clean and the mini bar was filled up every 2nd day. We had a problem reserving the restaurants. I would recommend that you book these as soon as you arrive. We were only there for 1 week and could only get 2 of the restaurants and to be honest the food in the buffet was better. The breakfast is fabulous and the choice is vast. We were told by 1 of the workers that you are entitled to 3 reservation for a week and that the hotel have to give you it even if it is in another hotel(we didn't bother though)
The hotel is joined to another 2 and the guests from these 2 hotels can use the restaurants in the rbeach.That's why they get booked. Beach guests can't use the facilities in the other hotels but you can buy a day pass for $75.
There is a disco at the suites or grand(can't remember sorry) that you can go to. This is open til 2 or 3am. There is also a free shuttle bus that will take you to the "Hip Strip". Thursday night is ladies night at Margarettiville and we got in free. When we got in at half 2 one morning we went to the buffet restaurant as it still serves food until 4-5am I think. ( at the hotel)
The night life in the hotel is relatively quiet. The entertainers try hard and I think the free alcohol helps to make it better.
The pool- on arrival you get a card which you exchange for towels each day. I would recommend that when you are finished in the sun then get 2 new towels and before you go to bed at night put your towels down because we looked down at 6 one morning and the parasol beds were all taken. We use to do it when we were getting in.
We are hoping to go back next year but are going to stay in the grand or suites as we are going for 2 weeks.
Need anymore info just get in touch

5 Thank nmwilson
montreal
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We decided last minute to go to Jamaica just before the flu outbreak. we arrived on April 25th and returned May 2nd, 2009.

first you should realize that Ibero Star has three hotels on the same site. The Beaches or simply Ibero star is a less expensive family or singles resort. The Suites are definetly better and also good for family with children or girl friend get a ways. The GRAND well is absolutly grand!

When you arrive at check in, you are greated with a glass of champagne and wet towel. You are given a tranparent bracelet that allows you access to all three hotels but give use exclusive use of the Grand, Pool, restaurants and Beach area. You are shown to your room and within 5 minutes a butler arrives to introduce himself and ask you if you need anything. He will also ask how you would like your mini bar stocked. we asked for Heineken beer and vodka, red wine and whatever. they even filled your ice bucket everyday. the butler can polish your shoes, make restaurant reservations for the whole week in advance in any of the hotels including the suites and beaches which we never tried because the Grand had the best restaurants and only the Grand guests can use these. There are also wonderful concierges that can also make reservations for you.

The BEACH
only 150 rooms in operation, private beach in a little cove so just enough wind to keep you cool but calmer than the suites and beaches hotel. the pool area and beach offer enough palapas for everyone to have shade and if needed they will intall 12x12 white draped gazebos on the beach for more shade. one of the most amazing things about this hotel is the absolutly beautiful pool area and beach area with large double beds lounging chairs with pillows!!! the beach staff will make your bed for you with their large fluffy yellow beach towels and move these beds anywhere you would like. This is a couples only resort and well worth the extra money for the quiet and privacy. The waiters that serviced the beach and pool where always around when you wanted a drink. I found the beach very clean whenever I walked to the beaches or suites hotel. The have security guards that are posted on the beach to make sure that only the Grand guests use the chairs and beds. They were very kind when telling visitors from beaches or the suites that this was a private area.

RESTAURANTS
we tried the Gourmet, Italian, Japaneese and Surf and Turf restaurants. we never tried the buffet restaurant except for breakfast where they served real maple syrup!!! For lunch we chose the restaurant by the beach which offered lobster tails every single day if you wanted but also had delicious angus beef hamburgers, sushi as well as a hot station of jamaican specialties. the wine list (at the gourmet and Italian restaurant) had about 10 wines you could choose from without paying extra as well as some choices with an extra. We are wine drinkers and enjoyed the wines included in the package.

The ROOM
Our room was beach front so all we had was a perfect view of the ocean and looking down, you of course saw the beach. we were on the 3rd floor. there are only 4 floors. Every room at the hotel has a beach view. the higher you are the better the view. I loved the layout of the rooms. you walk into a large hall area with lots of closets, drawers and when you open the french doors to the bathroom this becomes a large dressing room with a door that seperates the bedroom from this large area that doubles the size of your bathroom if you keep it open. We had a large walk in rain shower, jacuzzi bath with bath salts and lots of towels and washcloths. Our room was always made up whenever we returned to our room and only once did we miss the turn down service because of an early evening. the rest of the room had a king size bed, flatscreen tv a dvd player and an Ipod station to play music or recharge your ipod. we also had a living room and a large balcony that had a double swing chair that you could curl up in and read a book or fall asleep in as well as a day bed couch. Lots of space so you actually enjoyed staying in your room while enjoying a drink!

other SERVICES
The Bar in the Lobby had nightly musicians (pianist, flute...) and offered all your premium blends like Greygoose, Belvedere, and Absolute flavored vodkas. I have yet to ever see this in an all inclusive resort. there was also nightly entertainment that we never enjoyed since we were early risers and tended to relax in our room after dinner.

The SPA
we did enjoy services at the spa. we had a massage and a facial which were done expertly. We have our own spa at our own Inn so I tend to be opiniated as you may well have seen by this review. Well I could not have asked for better and highly recommend their services.

I guess I could say that this has been one of the very best vacation resorts I have been to. The only other comparable would be the Grand Vélas in Nuevo Vaillarta and not to be confused with the Vélas Vaillarta in Puerto Vallarta.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lindayaya
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 1 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel from April18-26. We found the resort very nice and enjoyed our stay greatly. The rooms were nice and clean and spacious. Sure there weren't faceclothes all the time but we have been to resorts that they had no faceclothes at all. The food was great at all the resterants we ate at all 3 ,service at the steak house was a little slow but what is the big rush you are on vacation and have no place to go. The Beach was nice certainly not like Cuba or the DR but it was cleaned every day and plenty of places to lay never had problems finding chairs, servers on the beach(how nice is that we didn't have to even get up to get drinks they came to you. In all we really enjoyed our trip to this resort and would go back....Just remember you are in Jamaica...no problem mon

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank green82
ontario
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Let me start off by saying that I am one of the easiest going kind of person there is when it comes to vacationing. I have done a lot traveling (cruising, all inclusive, and toured Europe) and had a great experience each time. This vacation however was such a disappointment. I never listen to reviews as I usually find that people are some times too picky given the fact that they are in another country.

Here’s our story:

We (two ladies – age 27 and 18) traveled to Jamaica April 21 to 28. Upon arrival, we waited a few minutes to check in…no big deal at all. We arrived at around 9pm therefore our rooms were ready. The next morning we got up and went to book our restaurants for the week. Nothing was available until the end of the trip. We went to the Cajun restaurant 3 times (once was unexpected as we just asked if something was available that night) and once at the stake house. The Cajun restaurant was excellent…thank goodness because those were the only good meals we had on that trip. The stake house was awful. Our meat (if you could call it that) was just complete fat. Absolutely terrible! On the third night, I went to make myself a salad. I looked at the lettuce and found it very odd that they would have seasoned it with black pepper. When I took a second look, I noticed that it was completely covered with insects. It was late in the evening, so it wasn’t like there was a supper rush that could have caused this miss hap. It was obvious to anyone that looked at it that there was something wrong with it. That totally caused my trip to go down ward. All I kept saying to myself was, “this is a five star resort, how??” The food at the buffet was the same every day, lunch and dinner. If you are going to this resort, I hope you enjoy eating pasta, chicken nuggets and pizza…everyday…twice a day. One day after too much sun, we decided to say in the room and order room service. We placed our order at 5:00. The gentlemen on the phone said it would be ready in 30 minutes. By 6:30, nothing had arrived. I called to check the status of the order and they said they had forgotten to place the order. By the time the food came, it was 7:30, two and a half hours later.

Everyone has mentioned the issues with the towels in the rooms and it is very true. We only ever had 2 body towels in the room. We didn’t have face clothes, hand towels or even a mat to place your feet on when you came out of the shower.

There is nothing to do at the hotel. Therefore we watched a lot of TV in our room. We didn’t feel safe to leave the resort. We had been told of a cop killing a citizen just up the street from our hotel therefore we felt uneasy about leaving the resort at all. We also didn’t feel safe going to the market right beside us on the beach. After being on the beach all day, there was nothing happening at the resort until the shows at around 9:30…which weren’t very good as well. It was very repetitive…the same thing every night…singing the “we are the champions” song, hearing the one employee yelling “clap your hands” all the time, and one guy pretending to be Chinese every single night. The first night you find it neat, the second night ok and the third night just plan annoying!

The beach was not very nice at all. It didn’t have much sand and wasn’t clean at all. As for the staff, everyone expected tips. You could easily spend a few hundred dollars just in tips. It’s unreal.
Since we had a late flight, we wanted to keep our room so that we didn’t have to carry around our stuff. We met a couple who came with us from Toronto and decided to share their room after we checked out of our own. Your check out is at 12:00pm. We weren’t leaving for the airport until 5:00pm. It cost us $10 an hour extra that we kept the room. At around 3:00pm I went up to the room and my key wasn’t working. I went up to the front desk and told them my friend’s room number, and they just assigned me a new card, no questions asked. Personally I think this is serious because I could have easily told her any room number and in a second I would have access to a strangers room. Either way the third try was unsuccessful and the front desk staff told me to go track down a housemaid to let me in. I couldn’t believe it! By the time I got into the room, it was 45 minutes later…almost an hour of what I paid for but couldn’t get it.

Overall we enjoyed the time we spent together, enjoyed the sun, however this experience has made us think twice about ever going to Jamaica again. I would never in a million years go back to this resort. It definitely does not deserve the 5 stars it claims to have.

1 Thank sunny1010Ontario
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I stayed here (room 1123) with one of my girlfriends from April 23-26 for our girlfriend’s wedding. We left the husbands home and planned to have a great “girlfriend getaway”! Overall the hotel grounds were beautiful and the room was spacious and clean. However, we encountered a few problems.

When we checked in, the desk clerk informed us it was our lucky day and that we had been upgraded to the suites because they were overbooked. We were too excited! Then she told us that she made a mistake and that we could not upgrade. Apparently, she was unable to find my name on the reservation but found it later. When I asked why we could no longer be upgraded she said the other hotel (Suites) were booked. I know this is nitpicky but I found out later that other members attending the party were offered an upgrade. Anyway, we resolved to have a good time nonetheless.

So here is a summary of my comments:

The Good:
• Beautiful hotel, clean room, exquisite flowers
• Japanese restaurant
• Lobby Bar – beware of the rum punch, it will seriously sneak up on you!!!!
• The hotel did a great job with the wedding and reception

The Bad:
• We had a double room but upon check in only had one face cloth. We left a tip and a note everyday asking for more washcloths but ended up calling housekeeping because they NEVER left enough…of course they took the tip! On our last day, they never even brought up the extra washcloths.
• The hotel has 3 restaurants that are ALWAYS booked. We managed to get a reservation at the Japanese restaurant on our first full day but fell short all of the other days. The crazy thing is that when we got there, we were the ONLY station with people eating. So, there were plenty of reservations to be made.
• Ran out of hot water the first day
• While the temperature said 19ºC (66ºF), the room did not get very cool.
• You have to get up at 6 am to get a spot under the huts on the beach. Most people got up early and places their towels on chairs that they came back to hours later. One group had a prime spot but never came to the area until after noon! I can’t speak to the pool because we stayed on the beach the entire time.
• The beach had trash from the day before on it – even in the morning.
• Being “harassed” by the male workers – although I always felt safe, I just did not want to deal with being talked to every 5 minutes
• Housekeeping may not get to clean your room until 5 pm, which is fine if you are on the beach all day but a pain when you have to get changed to go somewhere.
• The food was okay, but after a few rum punches, it is all good!
• Lines at check in and for guest services

The Nitpicky:
• Thin and poor quality towels and washcloths
• We booked the ocean view but you can only see it if you stand at one end of the balcony

The Weather:
• Don’t worry if the weather forecast says it will rain – unless you are there during the traditional “wet season”. It was scheduled to rain every day we were there but it sprinkled for about 10-15 minutes each day but one. On that day it rained hard for about 20 minutes with sprinkles and wind throughout. After that it was all sunshine!

Recommendations:
• Go to Scotchie’s – the jerk chicken and fish are great. I guarantee you will NOT want the jerk chicken at the hotel after that. You can catch a cabe there and It is safe to go to. It was just us 2 females and we had no problems. There were locals as well as tourists. I also noticed several local women who stopped by to eat. We felt completely safe.
• Call for extra washcloths the moment you arrive. It can take up to 2 hours for them to bring it.
• Get the Rum punch from the lobby bar
• If getting married, the terrace is beautiful. They also do a great job planning the reception. My friend, closed down the steak restaurant for her reception and the decorations were beautiful.

Overall, we had a good stay. The hotel aesthetics were better than the service though. If I came back, I would stay at the Iberostar Grand.

3 Thank NaptownChica
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Our trip started out bad because we had a delay and missed our connection to Jamaica, therefore, we were in airports all day and missed an entire day of sun and fun. When we arrived to the Airport, we found that the Jamaican people were very rude and were not very helpful. I actually got yelled at from a lady behind the desk in customs because I didn't get to the desk quick enough. After she started processing our passports, she decided to leave her desk for over 20 minutes leaving us waiting for her to return -- since no one else would help! Amazing... not a good start to our vacation that we had been waiting on for over 2 years!
Hotel: We arrived late and got a room. The desk clerk was decent, and told us she was just putting us in a room with no view so we could go to sleep for the night and that they would be happy to send us to an upgraded room the next day by noon. We followed their instructions and took time out of the sun to get a better room to accomodate 2 adults and a 6 year old, but much to our dismay, they told us they wouldn't have any rooms for at least another day. After waiting in line for half an hour to get this news, I was too happy. The next day, we were able to check into a better room on the 5th floor after (3pm of course), and it really was a nice view of the beach and pool. But at that time, I'm not so sure it even mattered!

We had to wait in line to make reservations for dinner too, and the only thing available was the Japanese Steak house. It was decent, but if you don't get an entertaining cook, it is very boring. One cook for 18 people, so some of the fun things that happened you couldn't see anyway. Nevertheless, it was better than going to the buffet every night. (although if you have children, they may not like this food... my daughter tasted it, but we ended up going to the buffet to get her something to eat). I was disappointed that they advertize 4 restaurants; however, it was very difficult to get a reservation for any of them.

Our first day on the beach, was not great either. In the past, I had seen postings that noted the beach was not very clean, and I have to say, my experience was the same (and I don't consider myself very picky either). We passed by 4 dead "puffer" fish that had washed up on the beach (freaked my daughter out!), and we saw another one floating in the water... doesn't make you want to get in -- that's for sure! People were sloppy too... putting food and trash in the sand that was never picked up by the staff. Some of it ended up in the water -- overall feeling was that it was not a very clean beach. We stayed at the pool most of the time (a shame to go all that way to see a beautiful beach only to be disappointed). Advice: Go to St. John, St. Maarten, Grand Caymans (very close to Jamaica -- but a much nicer island), St. Kitts, or Nevis.

Some people said you should tip the staff when they give you good service. I will say that when we got good service (bell man, bus driver, some of the wait staff), we tipped a dollar or two. The service is not that great at the hotel itself, and you really don't have to tip unless you are a big drinker and are at the bar a lot -- then it's definitely expected. The Jamaicans are not shy about putting out their hand. I also would say that the nicest, most helpful person we came across was the bell man --and the bus driver who told us stories about the island and kept up a conversation with you. Most will not talk to you if they don't have to.
The entertainment was sort of "make-shift" at best. Okay but not great. Some of it was not appropriate for children - so be leary of that. Most of the entertainment staff was very nice -- every one knew who "Big Mama" was -- she was very nice to everyone and always had a smile on her face. These people in Jamaica work 16 hour days and most do not get a day off all week long! They are not shy about telling you how long they have to work. Makes you sort of feel sorry for them -- they have limited leisure time to do anything else but work and sleep.

I would not recommend going outside of the resort -- We didn't even try it, but it seems a little dangerous. I thought prices were very high for suveniers at the hotel and at the airport.

Overall, the hotel is nice, pool is nice, but I would go somewhere else next time. I don't expect to be going back to Jamaica any time soon.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!