“Good Time at Iberostar Beach Hotel”

Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 April 2010

We just returned from a week's stay at the Iberostar Beach Hotel. Overall, we had a very good trip. The Iberostar is a beautiful well maintained hotel/resort. I loved the way it was decorated. I wanted to buy the furniture and bring it home! They kept it spotlessly clean.

Room - We had adjoining rooms and they were ready hours before check in. We had great views for ROH. Comfortable sleeping, clean, nice decor...no complaints here.

Beach - We are beach people and this was not the best beach we've been to, however, I preferred the Beach hotel's beach to the other two Iberostars there because of the plentiful shade provided by the trees. The water was seaweedy as mentioned and the snorkeling was so so due to visibility. There were little waves stirred up by the wind while we were there. Water color is green/aqua - very pretty. Liked the vendors on kayaks who had interesting trinkets to sell. Vendors at the end of the beach, off property, were easy to shop with and not too pushy at all.

Pool - big, beautiful infinity pool with outstanding views of the ocean. Good bar scene.
Needed more chairs, hard to get a spot without saving your chair at 6:30 AM.

Food - We liked the food. Been to several AIs and the food here was the best. Lots of variety. The food in the restaurants wasn't that different than the buffet except for the Japanese which we enjoyed although I felt they pandered for extra tips here by singing (yes, I said singing).

Staff - Very friendly, efficient, best staff we've experienced in our five trips to Jamaica or elsewhere for that matter! They couldn't do enough for you, including leave you alone if that's what you wanted.

Drinks - Lobby bar had the best quality and service and great popcorn. Otherwise, the drinks were pretty good overall. I would have liked more fresh bananas in the drinks though, especially since they are grown in Jamaica.

Excursions - Nothing is close to this hotel. It is 25 minutes to Montego Bay, and two hours to Negril. Taxis are expensive. That said, we took a taxi to Doctor's Cave beach (beautiful water, good snorkeling, sea glass there) and the hip strip, including Margaritaville. It was worth it. We also booked a tour to YS falls and the Canopy zipline with Barrett Adventures. I'd take a taxi instead of the tour, pay for the falls and zipline when you get there and save $25 per person. It's a long bumpy ride through the Jamaican countryside, but very interesting. My teenaged kids loved this.

Dressel Divers - My son dove and had a good experience with it.

Great trip! I hated to leave!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,548)

Reviewed 9 April 2010

1) This hotel is not in Montego Bay. This hotel is 30 minute taxi ride from the town and outside of the bay itself in the middle of nowhere. ($60 round trip on a taxi)
2) Beach, clean, lots of shade althrough the sand is getting sparse at the edge and concrete pad is showing in places. The sea is roughly chest deep and the beach is sheltered by offshore reef. So you can let the kids play in the water. Not so much fun for adults. Large patches of sea weed, some of it stinging variety makes swimming around iffy proposition. Adult only Grand portion has a decent size swim zone, but on the Suites and Beach side, treat is a salt water pond for kids.
3) Avoid local dive shack. They take you .5 miles out and just dump you on top of local reef. So all of those great montego bay diving spots, forget about it. JTL tour rep refused to book any other dive trip for us, telling us we would have to do it ourselves. First ever in all my Carib travels.
4) Food is plentiful, but mediocre at best. Buffet is tastless. Steak house and Japanese sucks and Cajun is impossible to get into. So this is definately not a place for a gourmet to travel.
5) bar is constantly out of mojito's, uses concetrate for caperinias and does not have a single drinkable hard liquor. Stick to common tropical drinks and you will be ok. Most wines suck as well except for Masai Ribot Catalunya whites (savignon like) and reds grenache, terb mix of decent quality
6) service is pretty spotty, the staff is more interested in arguing that something is not their fault, rather then actually fixing the problem. If you expect something prompty, forget about it.
7) tours and external activities are priced roughly 2x of Mexico equivalent and children over 4 get only 10% discount to ticket price, making it pretty expansive place to travel with family
8) on the good side, cat's were freely available, so got plenty of sailing done.
9) rooms are clean and spacious
10) hotel is well maintained.
11) overall rating about 3 stars, they can only dream of a 5 star rating they advartize

Reviewed 9 April 2010

We just returned from our trip with our two children, ages 10 & 13. We loved Jamaica and were very happy with the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel. We would return and would also recommend this resort to others. Jamaican people are overall very friendly and we found this to be true with the staff at our resort. Lots of smiles and desire to please us. We brought lots of ones for tipping. Although tips are included with the cost of this all inclusive resort, we found that we wanted to tip some of the employees who work so hard to please. The food in the buffet was wonderful, however, it was a nice change to eat at an a la carte restaurant. Make reservations for your a la carte restaurants right away as they fill up very fast. We chose the Japenese restaurant where they make the food right in front of you. We LOVED it and the food was fabulous. The pool staff were very good and had activities for the kids throughout the day. They then gave awards to the winners of these activities at each of the nightly shows. We really liked the shows. They included dancing and some comedy. Beware they have a way of getting the audience involved up on stage, but lots of fun and laughs. Some of the dancer's costumes were on the skimpy side, but overall, everything was pretty clean. The beach area was okay, but no waves. For excursions, we recommend the Dunns River Falls trip. It was wonderful and included snorkeling and climbing the Falls. This is a "must" for all first time Jamaica trips as long as your children are not real young and you are in fairly good health and condition. It does involve a lot of climbing. It was perfect for the ages of our kids. Our room was really nice. We had paid for an ocean view room and got an ocean front with a wrap around balcony and the pool on the other side. It was probably the best view we could have asked for. The room refrigerator is full of bottled water, soda and beer. The bottled water runs out quickly so I recommend asking for more at the front desk or from housekeeping right away to keep a stock of this. For some reason, it was hard to get our hands on bottled water when we ran out. They restock the fridge every other day. I am a beer lover, but in my opinion, the beer in Jamaica is not very good (especially the kind they put in the fridge). So instead, we drank lots of Pina coladas and Blue Hawaii's. They do sometimes stock Heinekin in the lobby bar, but it is not always available. I had one during our stay. Also, go save some chairs early morning in order to have a spot by the pool. The hotel information says that they do not allow this, however, everyone does anyway. They do not enforce that rule. This is a very family oriented resort; most of the people there were families with children. One other thing that we recommend to anyone going out of the country is to bring antibiotics for each of your family members. My husband, myself and my mom all got sick so we started to take our antibiotics right away and felt better by the next day. This happened to us in Mexico too so this is not specific to this resort. We would definitely go back to this resort.

1  Thank KAHWisconsin
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Don't believe the picky people who give the bad reviews. This place is great for the price.
Location- right by the airport and conveniently located close to Montego Bay, and close to Ocho Rios and Negril for day tours.
Food- buffets are great. Something for everyone. Fresh omelettes, pancakes, waffles, french toast , donuts, made to order every breakfast. Lunch and dinner menus vary, but always something fresh being made. Snacks also served at Uncle Tony's and the beach. The restaurants are good. We tried the Japanese and the Steak restaurant. The ribeye was delicious! Could have used more of a show at the Japanese, but the crowd we sat with was boring, so that may have been the problem. Desserts are not the best, but plenty of other tasty things to try!
Room- Don't get a room on the ground floor! They are like the dungeon with no view. We switched to room 1210 and loved it. Nice balcony, cleaned daily, comfy beds, great view of pool and ocean to the right. Fridge stocked every other day- requested diet and water only and they gave us plenty! The fridge is just a mini cooler, so don't plan on keeping anything that would spoil.
Bars- The premium bar in the lobby is the place to be! Dean is great at making drinks, and Neil is a sweetie- his smile will have you with a Jamaican crush in no time (I know I did!!! ! They serve premium alcohol at this bar- absolut, appleton, etc. The pool bar is so fun and convenient, but they tend to make "well" drinks.
Grounds- The pool is amazing! Clean and refreshing. The beach is nice, but go to Negril for a day to see beautiful blue water. The grounds are immaculately kept and are quite lovely.
Water Sports- ask for for Clive! The 10 dollar catamaran ride/swim is well worth it!
Service- Jodi in the buffet is awesome! EVeryone will go out of their way to serve you.
Entertainment- the entertainment is done by a small crew that works very hard to entertain you. Jubba, Stretch, MJ, and Ms. Spice won't leave you disappointed. Be sure to check out the star friends show at night!
Tours- we went with Jamaica LTD tours to Negril for the day. For 44 dollars you go to Margaritaville beach (try the jetskiing and jamaican beef patties from the guy with a box on his bike!), shopping (don't bother buying alcohol- cheaper at the duty free at the airport but shot glasses in store 10 are only 75 cents!), and to Rick's Cafe to see the cliff divers and sunset (try the rum punch and get jerk chicken off the grill by the guy by where the bus drops you off). Wear bug spray! Well worth the money, but the bus trip is long because you stop at a lot of other hotels. The drive is through the heart of Jamaica though, so the culture is well worth it!
Night life- this is a relatively quiet resort that winds down by 11pm. If you want more night life- catch the shuttle to Margaritaville on a thursday or sunday. It is free every night! If you like more low key, free fun, ask the doorman to drive you next door to the disco. You are able to drink and enter free and enjoy great music and mingle with others.
Vacation is what you make of it, and we had the time of our lives. I can't really find anything to complain about. Loved it and got teary-eyed when we had to leave our beautiful surroundings and new "friends". Hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank afallentown1
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I disagree with the last review. I guess it's all in how you look at things. It was mentioned that the beach is rocky. They were not all over, so that you stump your toes, but just a long strip of rocks quite a few yards from the beach. Let me tell you that this made some of the best snorkeling from the beach I have ever experienced. The water was shallow at the rocks so it was a great place for first time snorkers. Hundreds of fish! Next, we were informed before we booked, that we were not allowed to use the other restaurants in the set of 3 hotels. Fine with us. Our food was great, and we saved money by staying at the cheaper of the 3. We went to the disco in the other hotel two nights with no escort, no problem. Our fridge was not very cold but we were offered twice in 3 days for someone to restock it with beer/soda. The entertainment nightly was not of the quality we got in the Riviera Maya, Mexico all-inclusives but it was fine. The entertainment staff are incredibly spirited. I even heard one, named Stretch, who said he LOVED his job. The trees on the beach gave the place a very tropical feel and an awesome place to get shade. I guess my only complaint was that the pool closed at around 8pm. Would have been nice to be able to swim after dinner. But don't tell anyone....... we walked down the beach and took advantage of the hotel next door, one of the set of three Iberostars. Awesome mini-vacation. My husband and I aren't just going back soon. We are taking friends.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I went to the Iberostar rose hall beach with 2 of my girlfriends from March 20th-27th and we loved our vacation. Here is a detailed review:

The rooms:
Perfect! We had a garden view room but we could also see the ocean. Now, i am not one to spend time in my room when on vacation. All you need it for is to shower, change and get a little bit of sleep. The rooms were clean, the beds ok - note that the beds will never be as comfortable as your own - and although we left a decent amount of money to the cleaning ladies everyday, we only had towel designs on one day. But again, that's not why i go on vacation.

The food:
The food at the buffet and at the snack bar was very good. Our only complaint is that there isn't enough typical Jamaican food. Although we ate with the trainer from the gym one day and when we mentioned that he showed us 3 things in his plate that were. So maybe we didn't know what was typically Jamaican!

We tried all 3 à la carte restaurants. Everyone raves about the Japanese but we weren't impressed. Maybe it was just our chef though; he didn't put on much of a show and our food was over cooked. The chef on the next table was amazing though; we looked at her more than our own! The steakhouse was OK and the Cajun was the best in my opinion. You must have the coconut shrimps there, we couldn't get enough of them!

The beach:
I have to admit that the beach was not the best one i've seen. The beaches in Cuba are much nicer. The sand wasn't that soft and there were a lot of algae in the water. Would that stop me from going back? Absolutely not! Would i choose Cuba rather than Jamaica in the future? Absolutely not! You could also walk - or swim - to the grand where the sand is softer and the water nicer. That was our daily exercise; we would swim there ad back. There are plenty of spots in the water without any algae to fit everyone.

The entertainment:
The crew is great! Jubba, Kemstyle, Strech, Lady Cream and many more! They really helped making our vacation the best one. Beware of the congo line if you don't want to be part of the limbo contest! Although i recommend participating in the show; you're on vacation, let go and have a blast!

The staff:
Everyone is great! Rashmaine and Christopher gave us the best welcome on our first dinner at the buffet. Christopher is the flipper king, talk to him about it!

Dean and Andrew make the best drinks at the lobby bar. If you want to have dirty dreams, ask Dean to make you a Foreplay. He also makes the best chocolate martinis. If you like spicy chocolate, ask Andrew to make you a Perfect Touch (we came up with that drink). The Sweet Andrew is also a good drink - Amaretto and beer.

Rashmaine and Juan at the music bar are also a great duo! If you like blue curacao, ask them to make you a Blue Balls! I personally prefer the Black Balls version - with Kahlua!

We went on 2 excursions:
1. Dunns river falls with Dolphin's cove. A must! We didn't bring our own cameras, instead we bought a waterproof camera but the pictures didn't turn out so great. I recommend bringing your own as well as getting a waterproof one. You won't be able to use yours at the falls (unless it's waterproof of course), but you will at Dolphin's cove.
2. A half day of shopping on the hip strip and other areas. That was ok, but it is not a must. I would have preferred to spend that time at the beach.

Your experience wouldn't be complete if you didn't speak with the people, they're the ones who made our vacation the best one we've had.

I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charmzina
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Sorry, I'm a bit late with my review!

This was a wonderful experience. Charlotte our daughter( 4 years old) my husband Denis and I, really enjoyed.

The service mostly at the beach, buffet, restaurant, Spa were FABULOUS and gets FIVE STAR +. At the SPA' you must go see Wendy and Kelly, 2 wonderful ladys, they will provided you, excellent treatment.

Two professionnel manager Alberto Valenzuela De La Fuente and Jorge, who loved childrens and make our vacation, one of the best by providing excellente customer service.

For shure, you will go to the beach or at the pool. so you must try to be serve by Doreen (trainee) did you know that they don't receive any pay for three months, so please by generous because they deserve good tips, TIPS ARE NOT INCLUDED... so please : Donnez au suivant, Pay Foward! AT the restaurant or buffet, try to meet, Adam, Richard, Dwayne, they got the professionnal touch and don't forget to tip!!!

Every member of staff we met and sproke to were lovely. Always willing to help and advise and often educate us on Jamaica. They also recommand trips for us which we wouldn't know about otherwise.

This is the first time that I felt that "all inclusive" meant all-inclusive, they never say NO, they generaly accomodate you... this is EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE! **some people in our country need to work on that!!!!

If you want to purchase local souvenir, please go see the local Jamaicans. These are huts where the local sell typical jewelry and other Crafts.

** You are reminded by a sign at the end of the property that you are leaving the security of the hotel, don't by afraid, there are not agressif, they just want to show you, what they sell!

We found the people friendly and not offensive at all. Take your time, they love, when you look at what they have, even if you don't buy. RELAX and talk to them, they will give you good price.

Go further, go in the back, there's ladys with there childrens, who sales home made crafts, bracelets, t shirts and more... ASK for SANDRA WILLIMAS, she's a artist paint and has lovely PAREO small to X large...PERTY, she sales nice dress, top short... DAWN, LOVELY dress for child... DAWN SEGRE, cloths, girls dress...and if you want to purchase artist craft hand on wood, see GAY GAY a young man whit his sister, he work wood and do amazing local jamaicans ART!

On conclusion, The food was delicious, Tremendous variety, nicely presented, tasty and provided topnotch cuisine!

The only complained that I could give it`s the staff at the front desk, it's funny but the staff in the resort where more professionnel and not on rush to see us leave!!!!

Hope to come back, next year, and to feel that it will be the same!!!

** OH! I forgot, the kid's club, lovely girls and a lot of toys for anice vacation.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!