“Spent 4 nights in a real Ale Pub - What bliss”
Review of Half Moon Inn

Half Moon Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Otley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Thanks to Fred & Heather for a relaxing long weekend.
If you enjoy Real Ales and a friendly pub atmosphere then look no further than The Half Moon. My wife and I spent 4 Nights at the Half Moon Inn and we enjoyed every minute. Even better, the food served daily is as good as it gets. Great full English breakfast or anything you like included.

Any suggestions to improve the Inn would actually spoil it. It is exactly what it should be. Don't expect the rooms to be quiet till the pub closes but that should not matter if you are sampling the locally brewed (next door in fact) ales. The mornings were quiet so sleeping in till late is no problem. Breakfast served as and when you want it !!

Love Real Ale - Love a Pub - Love this One !!

Room Tip: The rooms are exactly what you should expect from a pub Inn. Dont expect quiet night till late. Do e...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Peter E

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Menu selection wasn't up to scratch and neither was the quality of the food. Had to eat our meal on bar stools before we moved to another table. When we asked for a glass of water with our meal we were made fun of. Wouldn't be returning anytime soon.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A-pyle89
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I think the previous review have been to a different Inn ...Half Moon Inn were very hospitable and although we were worried that our group could be late because of road works they said dont worry your table is reserved . On a group on voucher and my first time to the Inn the starters looked great and although I didn't have a starter (got a sweet-tooth) I tried my husbands bruschetta which was delicious and definitely not tinned tomatoes but small cherry tomatoes .My main meal was a steak with chips and peas and homemade onion rings everything to my liking it was delicious too and very filling ....My husband had a Chicken Balti curry with chips and rice he really enjoyed it and it had lots of chicken in it . My husband asked if they had any nan breads (not included in the meal) the waitress said she was sorry they didnt have any of them but tortilla wraps were available .....good service yet again ....My other friend had the fish and chips and it was huge with lots of chips it DIDNT look soggy but very crispy and the haddock was white .......another satisfied customer and his partner had the Half Moon holy cow which looked delicious and with a good kick with the chillies lol :) ....The sweet tooth I am had sticky toffee pudding with Ice cream a good portion with great taste yet again ...All in all I would definitely go again with our without a group on voucher it was great not rushed out either and I wished It was at the end of our street but I would definitely use my petrol to visit again .....a great homely and traditional Inn

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank bodnarc
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Our visit was part of the Wharfedale brewery tour (pie & peas & a pint), staff very friendly and the food was excellent. We stayed on for most of the day enjoying the beer on offer. We had booked a table for a meal later on. I had salmon & dill pte my brother the mixed Mediterranean meats, both very nice. We then had belly of pork and fish and chips, these were very tasty and we would highly recommend a visit. Food is cooked to order, not like most of the big chained pubs.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fredquimbyone
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Called on a groupon deal friday evening at 18:00 hrs.
The pub itself looked run down and shabby.
Sat in the limited eating area .
Waited ages for starter nd meal.Total wait for both 1 hr 20 mins.
The starter was vile of some tinned tomatoes on toast with onion and oepper in passed off as brunchetta.
Mains of fish and chips.. soggy fish and the food tasted horrible. The fat they were cooked in was not nice. . It tasted like some old dirty deep fryer fat that had not been changed.
Hubby's steak was ok .. like a bit of cooking steak.Asked if they had peppercorn sauce no coild have gravy or mustard !! ??
Side salad poor that was extra.

The toilets were discusting ! Old facilities noty clean.some scraggy old thread Bere towel to dry your hands.
Painy pots and brushes left about.

Not a nice place. Car park like step toes back yard.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emma b
FredBell, Owner at Half Moon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Thank you very much for your valuable review, I hope I can take a few moments to post a response? I'm sorry you thought it run down, you should have seen it eighteen months ago, we're an independant outlet and gently refurbishing as we go, it was nearly derelict and we're often complimented on how cosy it it, especially with the recently reinstated fires lit... I won't mention Steptoes yard, we had a classic car enthusiasts meeting in the top lounge area... The lavatories ARE a bit tired, agreed, but we've just put in new flooring however and are about to install new loos & handwasg basins to complement the soon to be replaced new hand driers and soap dispensers, not sure where you could have seen paint pots lying around though?

Food-wise we try very hard to meet everyones tastes but can't always acheive it, we're dedicated to using local suppliers; everything is as fresh as it is possible to get especially the fish & beef... By the way we cook all our food in brand new equiptment however rather than in the tradition olive oil, its fried in vegetable oil, we think its much nicer and certainly healthier this way... After some consideration we tend not to offer the steak with peppercorn sauce, rather we lightly pepper it whilst its being cooked, I must recommend the gravy you were offered though, its made with ale from our own brewery...

We do hope you consider us again, maybe you'll see some changes next time; there's always something being repaired, decorated or improved... See you soon!

Fred

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We went on recommendation for an evening meal, it was a Thursday and there was only half dozen people inside. After ordering our meals we waited nearly an hour for it to arrive, the stake was quite tough and the vegetables were dry having been under a hot lamp for some time. Sadly the manager seemed quite unsympathetic and reluctant to listen to us. We shall not be recommending nor returning this establishment.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrandyHopkins

Thank you very much for your review, its always important for us to get valuable feedback from valued customers... I do recall your experience and if I'm not mistaken you and your parnter seemed to have enjoyed your food having finished your plates which is why there was some confusion as to what the problem actually was, if indeed you had pointed out an issue during the course of your dinner we would have been delighted to do our best to address it, naturally. I do hope you will consider another visit, its always recommended to book, you can even let us know which table you would prefer, I note you loved the real fire... Best Wishes, Fred & Heather.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Yes we had been before and had enjoyed the evening. We decided to try the Early Bird after checking details and booking by phone. Now must admit the meal itself was okay but not the bill. They did not charge the deal we had been told on the phone which was 2 for 1 almost to the point of not believing what we had been told. Said no one would have told us that.We paid full price for all we had and they had too many excuses. Disappointing so just check if you go there what they offer.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DTULeeds

Disaster! So sorry you you were dissapointed a bit this time... Promise to try harder next time, the Early Bird IS confusing & I'm sorry it got misunderstood, I'm trying to work out how to word it better for all!! Its £10.95 for two courses as opposed to two dishes which would be 2-4-1... Best Wishes, Fred