“Terrible service!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hopper Lane Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Otley
The Hopper Lane Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Otley B&B and Inns
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Terrible service!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We decide to go for a birthday meal instead of the usual places we normally eat out at. We could not fault the food at all, it was gorgeous. We all had something different and were all impressed and happy. However the service was abominable. First of all the whole 2 courses we were there, the barmaid was talking and flirting with 2 men at the bar. When told she was on until the end they went. But then returned again when we were leaving. As we were walking out they made derogatory noises towards us! When trying to ask for sauces etc the waitress waked off before we finished asking. We spend over a £100 on food then more on drinks aswell. We felt very uncomfortable and like we were inconveniencing them. However there was one waitress with brown hair that was polite and had a smile on her face. Like I said, it's such a shame that the front of house let the chef down.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Ghannahr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We'd seen mixed reviews of this lovely old coaching house near Harrogate so weren't quite sure what to expect. The price for a room and breakfast at seemed almost too reasonable but we took a chance, booked, and pulled into the car park with trepidation.

We were absolutely thrilled to walk into a gorgeous, stylish and contemporary interior with perfectly mismatched leather and damask sofas and wooden and slate floors. They've got that elusive blend of trendy and traditional just right.

Owners are Penny, who runs things front of house, has great sense of interior design and is lovely; and her chef husband Mark (also lovely!) who, it turns out, has a Michelin star gained at his former restaurant. As a result, dinner was absolutely amazing: simple, unpretentious and beautifully cooked food which had us ooohing and aaahing throughout each of three courses. It wasn't inexpensive, admittedly, but didn't require a second mortgage either. Don't think twice about eating there for a treat: just do it.

The standard rooms on the ground floor are, it must be said, very small - so if space is important to you be warned (though they're about to refurbish some larger, superior upstairs bedrooms too). But although they're basic they're also pretty, clean and have powerful showers, and ours had a peaceful view of the garden and fields beyond. Better still, the bed was new and extremely comfortable. And since we only slept and washed in the room and the lounge and restaurant areas are spacious and welcoming, the price to value ratio more than compensated for its size.

Penny and Mark have only just taken over and have transformed this place from a neglected old boozer into a trendy, upmarket country restaurant with rooms. I think I can now read between the lines here when it comes to the bad reviews, which didn't sit comfortably with the raves from guests who have actually stayed or eaten here. It strikes me that that locals who liked things as they were, with swirly carpet and cheap pub grub, may not appreciate the new decor or cuisine. Sour grapes, perhaps? Who knows?

And, for the record, and while we opted for a bottle of Shiraz, there was beer aplenty from perfectly polished brass taps!

We stayed for three nights and were delighted to have found the revamped Hopper Lane (before prices go up!). Penny and Mark are really nice people and are working incredibly hard to make this place a perfect place to stay or eat, so don't take any notice of the bad reviews.

We'll definitely stay here again if we're in Yorkshire.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are away from the road and have views of the garden and fields.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
East Lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

an arranged meeting for 6, result, pork under cooked, having been at this establishment in the past expected better quality food. disappointing result this was the conclusion of all in attendance. staff helpful and polite, premises looked empty, and although obviously had a refurbishment of some type, it lacked attention to the flooring, ie gaps in the boards. I doubt we will visit in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I visited the Hopper lane hotel with a group of my friends who have just moved into the village of Blubber houses and how lucky they are indeed to have such a brilliant restaurant on their doorstep.
not only are the waitresses welcoming and friendly to complement the great atmosphere the food is sublime.
As it was Sunday of course one can only opt for the Roast Beef .The waitress promptly informed me that the beef would come pink however if I requested(which I did )the meat could be cooked longer.Extremely tasty roast beef cooked perfectly with plenty of vegetables and a red wine sauce (similar to the one I would make my friends and family) covering the freshly made Yorkshire pudding which thank goodness was not one of those frozen things I have come to expect.
We had opted to sit outside and the scenery was quite beautiful,a real country feel with lots of character. The wait for food was a little longer than I would expect but well worth it, I did have a little grumble at that however it was worth it in the end .That roast beef put me in a good mood for the rest of the day.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

As far as pubs go this place has hit the nail on the head.
My daughter booked our table here quite last minute for Sunday lunch and I have to say I was surprised as it would not have been my first choice or her usual haunt but after hearing a local radio add my daughter had been keen to go
We arrived a little earlier then expected and were shown to a lounge area and given drinks, also ordering our food whilst sat in the lounge which was a welcome change just to relax whilst our food was prepared ( I thought,as did my wife that this lounge seating scenario could be a sign that dinner and the table could be a while) The wait for food was a gentle 15-20 minutes for our starters and about the same in between for the mains I opted for the fish dish which I have to shout about A perfectly cooked steak of sea bass which just melted in my mouth I am overjoyed that finally I have found a restaurant /pub that serves something more than your everyday tiresome reheated dross .
The waiter who was looking after us was extremely charming and looked after us so well that on his request I have taken the time to review the pub and give him a mention keep up the good work and I am sure you will see us again very soon

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a great wedding reception here . Lovely beef succulent salmon enjoyed the different salads exceptional homemade coleslaw ,excellent live band. Two good cask beers on top.Hope they do well! Location in a beautiful part of the world though to far away from home to visit often

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

... give it a very wide berth! There's a huge choice of superb pubs in the surrounding area so you can afford to give this one a miss. We crossed the threshold a few years ago and promptly walked out vowing never to return and indeed just a few day's ago my Stepson + Girlfriend + group of friends did exactly the same but convinced by other friends that things had changed/improved and the "food is really good" after a hike around the reservoir we duly arrived looking forward to a nice lunch but upon wanting to order 4 beers we were told, "Sorry, we don't have any beer..." ! Words fail me...! Don't go there!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Steven L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Burnsall
The Craiglands Hotel
The Craiglands Hotel
#4 of 4 in Ilkley

Been to The Hopper Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!