“Poor service, disgusting food & small rooms”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I booked a weekend away here as a treat for myself and my husband - our eventual conclusion was that we would have had a better time staying at home.

I had been led to believe that the place had been recently refurbished - this certainly wasn't true of our room, which was small and very dated.

We enjoyed the pool / gym complex (despite the ridiculously small towels?!?), but the evening meal was a disaster. The so-called "six course" set meal left us hungry and angry - the food was disgusting & the only table we could book was at 9pm.

On several occasions at both breakfast and dinner I asked staff to help us (extra toast, a chock for the wobbly table etc) - on no occasion were any of these issues dealt with - we were simply ignored.

If you are looking for a cheap stop-over this hotel may be appropriate for you - but for a romantic weekend away it was horrific.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear Emily,

Thank you for your feedback and I am very dissapointed to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us.
The feed back given regarding the food is extremly worrying as our normal feedback here is very good indeed. However what I will do is discuss your comments with my head chef and restaurant team to ensure that we improve were we can.

Again my thanks.

Jurgen Kruijt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed 20 November 2011

We got a deal through groupon for 2 nights including a 6 course meal for 2 people at £165. Food was great and the cheap price made everything good value. However, I wouldn't come back here at the normal rate as the room we had, despite its cleanliness, lacked character along with the rest of the building. One of the reasons we stayed was to use the hot tub over the lake but this was out of order but looked like it would be excellent usually. The staff couldn't be faulted and service was fantastic throughout. Use this hotel if you can get a good, cheap deal. No more than £100 in my opinion.

• Stayed: November 2011
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review and am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
My apologies that the hot tub was out of order during your stay. Unfortunatly there was an error on the pump and this has now been repaired.

I'm also sorry that you felt that the hotel was lacking in character, the whole hotel is made out of wood with additional woodland lodges in our 44 acre of woodland. All decor in the hotel is maintained in a wooden style giving excellent character in a scandinavian feel.

With thanks,

Reviewed 19 November 2011

This somewhat visionary project has been around for some 30 years and I have stayed here many times over this period. It is truly a different kind of hotel experience. The hotel is completely built from wooden logs in a Norwegian style and is set among woodlands on the top of the Chevin Moor, Otley; close to Leeds/Bradford Airport and relatively convenient for both of these two cities. Rooms are available in the main hotel block or there are separate cabins of different sizes available scattered throughout the woodland with adjacent parking for each one. Many of the rooms and in particular, the cabins have been refurbished fairly recently, so accommodation is comfortable and perfect for a relaxing and quiet stay. However, the management of the overall establishment is somewhat peripatetic and a good general manager is needed to keep the staff on their toes and the service to the level that was once provided some 20 years ago. The more formal Lakeside Restaurant and the bar/restaurant have fallen back over the years to say the least, both in terms of service and food, particuarly so in the latter.

Room Tip: Do not pay rack rates for the rooms as they are just not worth it - book ahead.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drkwh
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Many thanks for your feedback and your discription of our amazing hotel is spot on.
For many years the hotel has offer excellent quality and comfort in all areas of the hotel, something that has been enjoyed by many. Having recently been awarded a rossette in our restaurant I was very worried regarding your comment but will review this to see where we can make further improvements.

Many thanks

Reviewed 13 November 2011

I stayed here twice in 2010 and I am always looking for a reason to return because it's wonderful! I love the fact it's a lodge, that it is in lovely grounds, that the staff are great, and that the food is delicious!

I rarely return to the same hotel as I always want to try something different but I would never opt for anywhere else in this area. Ive never gone for the standard room (always choosing the next grade up) simply because it's the type of hotel that I feel you visit for a special occasion (e.g. My 2nd visit was for my birthday) therefore the cost of an upgrade is neither here nor there. The rooms are beautiful (you don't feel as though you are in a hotel). I've yet to try the Spa facilities (always had other things to do) but I have heard great reviews from other guests.

This place is ideal for a romantic getaway and I highly recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SophieDanby
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Visited this hotel in Sept. for 3 days. It was excellent, upgraded my father to a room nearer the entrance, bar etc as he had walking difficulties. Our cabin was a slight walk away. Food was excellent and staff very nice. Facilities very good and over all the peace and quiet were wonderful. Will definitely be going again next year.

Room Tip: rooms in actual hotel very nice as they overlook lake although cabins in grounds are extremely quiet...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a friends wedding, location was good, staff did an excellent job of arranging everything, a lovely day.
Our room which cost a small fortune was terrible, the bathroom had loose and broken tiles, the shower had a very dodgy damp area on the ceiling which had been like that for some time.
The room had a very strong damp smell and had lots of stains on the carpet.
The actual hotel is nice enough but the rooms are lousy , dated, and spoil the whole experience.

Room Tip: choose a room in another hotel.
1  Thank Martin O
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed on a Special Offer package, DBB+wine. Dinner was excellent, with lots of full and taster courses, uniformly excellent. Breakfast nearly as good, economy orange juice and lack of muesli option being "grey" marks. Waiting staff were all very attentive and good-natured. Log fire in reception area a nice touch, especially in dull November weather. Our room (in main building) was good-sized, with a very comfortable bed and an attractive patio. "Wardrobe" was just a
curtained cubby-hole under a stair: OK for a short break, but perhaps too quirky for some. Bathroom large but dated, needs, e.g., mixer taps and some shelf space. Overall, we rather liked the "log-cabin" style, and the forest/lake setting. Will certainly return.

Room Tip: Main building rooms best: wearing coats/anoraks to meals could be tiresome.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Leeds / Bradford Airport Hotel
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!