“Excellent bar a couple of things”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The outside looks fresh and modern and the interior is more traditional but still very nice.
Checking in was easy enough despite a short que.
Room was very small but nicely decorated and had tv, economy hair dryer and tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom could have done with a refurb.
The spa is nice as it has an outdoor jacuzzi and indoor with pool and small gym.
The pool water looked quite yellow however I think this was just due to the pine wooden ceiling. The ladies changing room small but okay with WC, shower and a changing cubicle. The pool also has wooden loungers about 7/8 of them.
We had the 6 course taster menu which was served in the very 'posh' restaurant area, and we seated with a view to the pond which was lovely. Do dress for dinner. The courses are very very small and personally didn't fill me never mind anyone else! Service was good but slow and took 2 hrs to complete the meal. If you don't like your meat rare id suggest telling them this as my lamb was bloody in the middle so didn't eat any of it.
Wine is nice but expensive the cheapest was £16. It was however a lovely evening in nice surroundings which we enjoyed.
We had a 30 minute massage which was very good, and came away feeling relaxed and stress free. The dark haired girl who did the massage was very friendly and pleasant asking if it was ok etc.
All in all a very nice weekend away and will be visiting again soon.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diane S

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Firstly duty manager Sam was a fantastic help and deserves to work for a top hotel chain buy omg has she got some job to do!!!!!! The hotel is filthy and I mean filthy!!! The spa and pool is also so dirty with the bottom of the pool being slimy and green and black around the filter outlets, all the windows and glass in both the spa and hotel are filthy. The rooms can only be described as cupboards (dirty cupboards), all rooms only having 4ft 6in beds not the 5ft plus beds that even economy hotel chains have, the bathrooms must not have had an update or refit for at least 20 yrs (again dirty with a dirty tide mark in the toilet). The evening meal was poor, the starters were cold in the middle and greasy (do have to say that the steak was good) service was poor, dining area again, filthy!!! Could not sleep as bed was too small and the only way to get air into the room was to open the patio door (not a good idea in the middle of the night) and every step from the room above could be heard. Breakfast was a joke with tin foil embedded into the bacon, horrible cheap coffee and the worst inedible scrambled egg ever!! All in all, would i go back, NOT IF MY LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!! BE WARNED THIS PLACE WANTS CLOSING DOWN UNTIL IT HAS BEEN CLEANED, I AM SURE IT IS A HEALTH HAZARD.

Room Tip: the rooms are tiny and dirty, bathrooms old and dirty
2  Thank MRSBERRY2014
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were attending a wedding in Otley (which turns out to be bit ironic)and booked the hotel despite mixed reviews .
Firstly it has to be said the hotel is in a beautiful location surrounded by woodland and country about a mile and a half walk down a steep hill to the town ( fine going down on a nice day but a real struggle going back up).
The hotel itself consists of a main building and log cabins in the ground . The main building is just a larger log cabin - Think Lincoln logs meets a swiss chalet. Everything is pine
We were given room two which was in the main building with a sitting area outside , but unfortunately this was right next to the outside patio deck for the bar and restaurant . As a result we had smokers on it . Also on the Saturday there was a wedding reception in the hotel (not our one) and all the guests and their children used the patio and the side exit as a transit point onto the lawn and as a result almost right through our seating area . It was annoying, especially as we had specifically asked at reception if there was likely to be any noise from that area as there was an England world cup match on late in the evening . We were assured no .
It would have not been an issue if they had just put us in a room further out the row (where they seemed to have actually housed the wedding guests !) .
The reception staff were functional rather than helpful but bar staff were good . Also for some obscure reason the heating was in a fixed on position in the hotel corridors (despite being 21 degrees outside) which combined with all the pine made it feel like a sauna - there is a real one available and steam room .
The leisure pool was nice - the water does have a strange tinge but it is possibly down to the overhead lighting and there is a well equipped fitness room.
Breakfast was reasonable and some decent choices but the coffee was terribly weak ( it was nearly the same colour as the pool). Service though seems to follow an eclectic system and wait time at busy times can be lengthy. Staff did work hard though.
Finally be warned , the hotel has a strange policy of taking payment for the booking on arrival rather than on departure so what you get is already paid for - not normal .
Overall Our stay was OK but I think if we could have got lodgings in town it would have been better . Oh yes - wifi is poor and phone reception almost non existent

Room Tip: Dont get the rooms right next to the patio area on function days
1  Thank LinlithgowTravelscot
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was my 3rd visit for a dip and dine day.
To be honest I have mixed feeling about this place. The staff are very friendly and professional, we didnt have any treatments so I carnt comment on thoes. The changing area is far too small and shower area in need of tlc. The pool is going a nice green colour and needs a clean the rest if the facilities sauna hot tub etc were fine. My 2 friends and I all ended up with our costumes bleached with the water in the pool/hot tub.
the menu is limited for lunch nothing special really but ok for the price. Asked for a coke was given a small mixer bottle wich was very expensive, I wasnt happy at all.
Overhall value for money and will probably return in the future.
I would rate this hotel no more than a 3 star.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Was looking forward to a well earned mini break, but........I hate to be negative about anything! So I will start with the positive things I can say about our visit to Chevin. The young lad who works at the leisure centre was very helpful and a real hard worker, he was always cleaning the pool area, he was the only person I saw cleaning my whole visit.
The hotel is very dated and is very much needing some TLC. The room we stayed in was very dark and dinghy and the facilities weren't the best. Bathroom was very dated and not that clean, wouldn't like to see the spider that created the cobwebs! If you have a mop of hair like mine then take your own hairdryer the one in the room is a bit naff!
The 'meal deal' was very nice but wasn't very much choice and felt a bit hemmed in in the dinning room. Ate elsewhere on the second day. The breakfast was ok.
Had treatment at the spa, didn't last as long as expected, and arrived early to fill forms in so did expect the full amount of time for treatment.
Didn't get a good nights sleep as lots of people milling about and doors slamming through the night.
So all in all wasn't over happy with my stay, I have stayed in spa hotels previously with varying price ranges and understand you get what you pay for. But I still expected a higher standard.
Would not return to Chevin Hotel.

Room Tip: choose a room in a different hotel.
2  Thank Po-To1
Reviewed 9 June 2014

3 of my friends and I booked a deal on groupon for the use of the spa, have a treatment and afternoon tea.
Upon arrival to the hotel first impressions were great, great views as great location.
We entered the spa area where there was only 6 lounge chairs inside, with 4 of us and a hen party shortly following there wasn't enough room for everyone! There were more chairs outside but as it's was pouring down we couldn't use them.
I had a lovely facial and the treatment rooms were big and spacious and the treatment itself was extremely relaxing with great girls.

The afternoon tea was great enough for the 4 of us.
The member of staff that served us wasn't very friendly and seemed like he couldn't be bothered at all, we asked for Another pot of tea which he begrudgingly brought over to tell us it would cost £9!! For a pot of tea??
You receive a glass of bubbly which we had to go and ask for, again which the waiter begrudgingly brought over.

Back to the spa area we went, the hot tub looked brown and old, and in much need of a clean. And the pool water looked brown, the blue tiles were turning green and the sides of the pool looked grimy and again in need of a good clean.
I think overall the place is great, the staff ok, but in much need of a good clean for the prices they charge. I wouldn't be happy paying unless I got a deal on groupon.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Anrollah
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked a late deal to Chevin Park and really enjoyed our stay. We booked in for dinner bed and breakfast. the dinner was an six course evening meal. The breakfast, was a cooked breakfast with Haggis. It was great.
The swimming pool. steam room and sauna were great, I must admit I did not go out to the hot tub.
The rooms were large, clean and fresh. Lovely fluffy "big" bath towels, smashing. We didn't even have to take towels down to the pool, we collected them when we got down there.
Staff really helpful and friendly. We could even have a joke with them, Well done.
We will definitely going back.

Room Tip: We were in room 42 and the only disturbance we had was the people next door coming back late at nigh...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#51 of 87 in Leeds
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#33 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!