“Avoid”

The Black Horse Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Otley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Hotel refused to honour our booking even though it had been made through Late Rooms with a credit card. The booking system appeared to be chaotic with scraps of paper, and pencil scrawlings. As a result long-planned weekend badly disrupted. No apologies. Not to be trusted.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank AAK47_12

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We arrived a party of 14 and were allocated our rooms as we arrived - first there best room system! We were first!! this is a very old building and very very tired, apparently awaiting a refurbishment. three flights of stairs to our rooms. ALL of the bathrooms were disgusting with pure filth, grime and mildew on all the the tiles. When I pointed this out to Jo, she seemed to think it was "normal" for shower tiles to be black. Absolutely no attempt had been made to clean these showers as when i used a toothbrush to test an area it came straight off with little effort. my shower was situated so closely to the toilet that when you opened the door of the shower it banged off the toilet leaving you approx 12" to "squeeze" through the gab into the shower - ladies with boobs have no hope! This cannot be classed as a hotel, it is merely a guest house with no frills, we all had to run out and buy soap and shampoo. We were charged £69 per night (which was apparently a £10 reduction) Trust me we were robbed. One couple's room was so small that they had to take turns getting ready in the small area they had while the other had to lie on the bed - then swap!! I approached Jo about my room and to be honest she was very unhelpful and promised to ring me - never heard from her again which I fully expected judging by the set up and customer service. Its her loss really because all 14 of us were looking for a hotel to visit twice yearly in Otley and we are all big spenders!!! I can say however, that the meals in the bar are absolutely beautiful and an excellent price

2  Thank karen s s
Jo H, Owner at The Black Horse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

We find this review grossly exaggerated, the hotel had a 400 thousand pound refurbishment last year with 5 of the bathrooms refurbished, we are in the process of waiting for the remaining en suites to be refurbished. All showers have had an industrial steam clean.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

My friend and I stayed here for one night and thought the hotel was lovely as it still had alot of period features. The owners were very helpful and our fish and chips in the evening were probably the best I have ever had. All home cooked and just delicious. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Vonnywon
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The rooms are lovely, cosy and clean with light decor and allthough I was on the roadside I was not awoken by any traffic. Upon asking a member of staff before departing to our rooms when breakfast would be served, we were told that there was no Breakfast being served in the morning as they were going to be out late and could'nt be bothered to get up to serve it. We ended up having to leave the hotel at 08.15am to a nearby cafe for breakfast and had to take our luggage with us. A great inconvenience and cost to seven customers, and we still payed the full cost for the stay. Also there was no towel in one of the rooms. If I had to stay at this hotel again I would, simply because I beleive it fulfilled all of my other needs, and the rooms were unfaultable - but I was very dissapointed and embarassed with the 'No Breakfast today' situation.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank PaintandCanvas
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Staff & owners were very helpful & friendly. Accomadation was very acceptable would definitly stay again. Food was all made to order & was very tasty. A really good experience. Only one thing we would have changed was the en-suite as it was just a little small.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mal14C
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed in this fantastic hotel for three days from 20th July and will always use this hotel when I stay in Otley. The staffs were very helpful, polite and accommodating. The room was very clean, spacious and the bed was so comfortable.
The evening meals are fantastic with a great choice from the menu, all homemade and locally sourced produce, the portions are ample and the service is good.
For drinks you have a good selection of cask Ales and lagers. As a Guinness drinker I can highly recommend it, smooth and creamy at the right temperature just as it should be.
Breakfast is a full traditional English and again ample portions; toast is thick fresh bread and tastes marvellous.
The owners Jo & Steve are hard workers and always greet you with a smile; the locals who use the bar also make you feel welcome and your stay enjoyable.
It is so nice to find a hotel like this on your travels where you can relax, enjoy yourself and the comforts you need whilst travelling and at a cost very very good for the quality you get.
First Class.

1  Thank Spennymoor-P
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at the Black Horse hotel at the weekend 20th - 24th and extended our stay by 2 days. The staff where helpful and Jo and Steve the owner went out of their way to make us feel at home. The room was great very clean and fresh and had all we needed TV. Coffee and tea -The bed was so just right nice clean and comfy, the room warm, it was a cold and raining so we stayed in and just had a drink in the bar and a meal the food good quality and value for money. Breakfast was like mum used to make full English with fresh crusty bread. We will stay here again when visiting otley .

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
No photo provided
The Horse & Farrier
#5 of 6 in Otley
Half Moon Inn
Half Moon Inn
#6 of 6 in Otley

Been to The Black Horse Hotel? Share your experiences!