“Great Restaurant”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Wiltshire
“Great Restaurant”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

When I was a lad I visited heaven regularly but I didn't realise it. This heaven was watching rugby league at Warrington with LNWR steam engines passing the 'railway end' (of course).

Heaven last Sunday was sitting on La Marina's (now extended) terrace with the warm breeze drifting over the Med and the waves breaking just a few metres away, our fish being cooked on a log-fired spit in an old fishing boat (see picture) and enjoying a marvellous meal.

We have been regulars at La Marina over the last ten years or so and it never disappoints. Whilst it was a little pricey in the past, new owners are trying (in view of the current financial climate I guess) to bring prices down.

We tried a wide assortment of dishes: boquerones, squid, clams with garlic and white wine sauce, paella, chef's salad (lots of different fruits, asparagus, anchovies) and the 'barbecued fish' (I can't recall the species but it was superb). The waiter recommended a Galician dry white wine which, I must admit, looked a little too dark for my liking but was excellent.

As with many good Mediterranean establishments, this place looks a little rough on the outside but inside, it's a palace in more ways than one. If it was good enough for Ernest Hemingway, it's good enough for me!

• Visited July 2012

Surrey
“The place to go for good bar b q sardines in la linea”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This was a restaurant my father took me when I was much younger, now as a granny myself I can still recommend it. Fish is good and the decking out the back overlooking the beach and the rock of gibraltar makes it a great ambience . Now for the food , we had the mixed salad and sardines , which are bar b qd in front of you on a boat on the beach, service was vey good, a little more expensive , but you get what you pay for, so no problems there. I was watching other orders arrive nd they all looked equally appetising. Give it a whirl, very good.they do paella very well also.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Shelley_10
Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“can cook better myself”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

A top class restaurant with no wine list!!!!!! The Food is expensive and the menus are old and dirty. We ordered a main course which took about 40 mins. . .good job we were the only two in there. Stale bread was transferred from another table after customers left but we had a bottle of wine and hoped for the price we would have a decent meal.......oh how wrong we were! my wife never received any baby vegetables so I complained 5 mins later we got a few slices of courgette and on checking the menu it should have been served with creamed potatoes but was served with a few overcooked fries......so I paid for the wine out of courtesy and left!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank ruksitis
Devizes, United Kingdom
“Silver Service”
Reviewed 26 September 2010

The restaurant is set on the beach of Atunara's coast road to the East of La Linea. It is basically a sea food restaurant, which also serves meat dishes and has a choice of dining areas; external or internal. We have eaten there on a number of occasions over the years and would describe the restaurant as 4 star, suitable for special occasions. The service is akin to "Silver Service", where the staff go out of their way to provide excellence. However, on our last visit in September 2010, the food was well presented as usual, but my wife's Sword Fish was overcooked, which was somewhat disappointing. We will visit it again next time we visit the area.

1 Thank JohnfromWilts
Rome, Italy
“Good food, nice view on the sea, but prices too high”
Reviewed 10 March 2010

Known as Franco's favorite restaurant en La Linea (the Spanish town just across the border), the restaurant looks old, but the foos is superlative. We had seafood from starter (fish salad, raw fish, etc etc) to main course and it was delicious, but when the bill arrived it was a bit too high for what we had.
I'd definitely go back to and suggest to have dinner/luch @ La Marina, but just remember that the cost of raw fish (oysters, langoustines and king prawns) is calculated by weight.

1 Thank Benedetta2010