“Living on past glories” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Living on past glories”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Once upon a time this may have been a good restaurant but now it comes across as living on its reputation. Menu was surprisingly limited, and the menu books very old and greasy. The fish was more reminiscent of English fish and chips than Spanish fried fish with a very heavy and unpleasant tasting batter. There's much better pescaditos fritos available in other less celebrated venues. Service was very average. Nice view but you can get an equally impressive one just by standing outside of the premises, and enjoying the Med.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

San Pedro de Alcantara, Spain
“A SPLENDID WAY TO SPEND THE DAY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Every month we treat ourselves to a day in Gibraltar and the excitement of the M & S and Morrisons and as a reward, lunch on the way home at La Marina in La Linea. Now this restaurant (depending on who you are) may not be in the most salubrious area and I am not sure I would visit it at night but on a bright, sunny, wind free day, there are not too many other places you would wish to be. As a backdrop the mighty Rock of Gibraltar protruding out of the Straits and from the cool, shaded deck terrace a vista of the bluest sea stretching to the horizon and a congregation of seagulls bobbing on the swell.
One has to start with a Manzanilla here, to drink while nibbling on hand wringingly small sardines
that one's conscience only just allows to consume and then rather plumper squid, followed by an excellent white Galician wine to accompany the superb Sea Bass, grilled to order Andalucian style on the ashes of the local wood fire, laid out on a fishing boat at the sea edge.
Most of the guests are locals with a few Gibraltar businessmen.
Perhaps any one who has a beef about this locale imagines it should be like a London or Paris restaurant, but this is Spain and this is Andalucia where one has to accept that customs and
manners are different .. and appreciate it for what it is. For €75.00 for two it was a pleasure to pay just to sit in the heavenly climate with an equally celestial view. My monthly excursion here will continue as long as I have legs to carry me and money in my pocket.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank scorpioLZ
Wiltshire
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

When I was a lad I visited heaven regularly but I didn't realise it. This heaven was watching rugby league at Warrington with LNWR steam engines passing the 'railway end' (of course).

Heaven last Sunday was sitting on La Marina's (now extended) terrace with the warm breeze drifting over the Med and the waves breaking just a few metres away, our fish being cooked on a log-fired spit in an old fishing boat (see picture) and enjoying a marvellous meal.

We have been regulars at La Marina over the last ten years or so and it never disappoints. Whilst it was a little pricey in the past, new owners are trying (in view of the current financial climate I guess) to bring prices down.

We tried a wide assortment of dishes: boquerones, squid, clams with garlic and white wine sauce, paella, chef's salad (lots of different fruits, asparagus, anchovies) and the 'barbecued fish' (I can't recall the species but it was superb). The waiter recommended a Galician dry white wine which, I must admit, looked a little too dark for my liking but was excellent.

As with many good Mediterranean establishments, this place looks a little rough on the outside but inside, it's a palace in more ways than one. If it was good enough for Ernest Hemingway, it's good enough for me!

• Visited July 2012
Surrey
“The place to go for good bar b q sardines in la linea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

This was a restaurant my father took me when I was much younger, now as a granny myself I can still recommend it. Fish is good and the decking out the back overlooking the beach and the rock of gibraltar makes it a great ambience . Now for the food , we had the mixed salad and sardines , which are bar b qd in front of you on a boat on the beach, service was vey good, a little more expensive , but you get what you pay for, so no problems there. I was watching other orders arrive nd they all looked equally appetising. Give it a whirl, very good.they do paella very well also.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Shelley_10
Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“can cook better myself”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

A top class restaurant with no wine list!!!!!! The Food is expensive and the menus are old and dirty. We ordered a main course which took about 40 mins. . .good job we were the only two in there. Stale bread was transferred from another table after customers left but we had a bottle of wine and hoped for the price we would have a decent meal.......oh how wrong we were! my wife never received any baby vegetables so I complained 5 mins later we got a few slices of courgette and on checking the menu it should have been served with creamed potatoes but was served with a few overcooked fries......so I paid for the wine out of courtesy and left!

• Visited May 2012