“I wouldn't go again if someone was paying for it,”

Hidden Valley Holiday Park
Reviewed 27 June 2010

This was our first ever weekend away in our trailor tent... it is a good job we are open minded as we could of been put of going away in it again due to this trip..
there was no activities for the kids, no shop, you had to walk miles to go anywhere, the man who worked there has got to be the most rudest man i have ever met in my life... the way he treated not only the adults but the kids as well was disgraceful so much so we came home 2days earlier because of it.. and so did alot of people, our neighbors either side of us left because of him..

they advertise fishing id like to no excatly where the water had of been if it hadnt of been raining..
the kayaking was a rip of but unfortunately we had to keep paying it as there was nothing else for the kids to do...

the man who worked there walked around in the dark shining a torch through your window, we had the tv on very low i might add and he went mad saying it was 10pm, i wouldnt mind the kids were in bed asleep, and he had the cheek to tell us it was to loud even though there were still kids outside riding around on there bikes.

it was a joke i warn you now DO NOT GO IT BE LESS STRESS STAYING AT HOME

i have noticed he puts a comment underneath everyones reviews.... so just for you don't bother commenting because your talking c**p, we didn't get kicked of neither did the other 9 families who left at the same time...

if you have already booked and paid your deposit id demand a refund...

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank h4yl3yl
traveltheworld81, Owner at Hidden Valley Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2010

We appreciate all comments, both good and bad, however I'm not sure how to respond to your comments as your information about our park is incorrect.

First of all, I am the owner and I respond to all reviews, not my manager or employees who run the campsite.

Second of all, our security man doesn't start work until 11 p.m., so it would have been impossible for him to tell you to be quiet at 10 p.m.

Our kayaks on our lake are 5 euro for an hour (single or double), or 2 euro for a rowing boat. If anything we have been told these prices are too cheap. If you compare our rates to other kayak rentals, then you would see our prices are extremely low and fair.

We have a river that runs through our entire site where fishing is offered. I don't know how you didn't see it? The river has mainly brown trout and salmon, however from the flood in January the fish are just starting to reappear.

There is a cafe on site that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The town of Rathdrum, a 10 minutes walk, offers shops, restaurants, takeaways, pharmacy, etc.

The outdoor children's play area will open next week, and there are numerous activities within a 5 to 10 minute drive.

I walk around the campsite at some point everyday and people are constantly coming up to me telling me how beautiful the park is, how helpful our staff are and how much they are enjoying themselves.

I'm sorry that your trip was not enjoyable, and I hope you have better luck at the next campsite you visit.

Reviewed 14 June 2010

I have recently been to Hidden Valley holiday Park , On arrival was really impressed ! The surrondings are fabulous the campiste is well equiped with good facilities and very clean . one down fall is they have no shop this would be a money spinner for them especially with kids .however they do have a litte chuck wagon type of thing which is nice and has very friendly staf but that where that ends
The so called owner or so he claims to be well thats a diffeent kettle of fish he is what I call scary very intimidating and rude he would shiver anyones timbers he has absolutley no manners and needs anger management . Kids are terrified of him !!!!
I would like to return to Hidden Valley as it is a truely fab spot but customer relations is key to any business and it falls down badly in this regard
If thinking on going with your kids just bare in mind this unmannerly man as he has no reagrds for parents & kids

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank holidaymary79
traveltheworld81, Owner at Hidden Valley Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2010

This family upset many other families on the park and were asked to leave. We are a family park and we do not tolerate loud noise after 11 p.m.

Reviewed 13 June 2010

I stayed here for the weeknd with 2 other friends. We are parents who went to Hidden Valley looking for a relaxing chilled experience, but much to our surprise it was anything but. I see from previous reviews that the owners appear to be a nice couple, unfortunately we didnt get the pleasure to meet them, instead only to be met by the most obnoxious disgusting man myself and my friends have ever encountered. He creeps around on his moped at nite with no lights on, which to me is very dangerous and hazardous. His manner is so bad we heard from almost all the campers, stories of rudeness from him towards children and adults alike. He hovers around the back of the tents at night and then storms in to say the noise has to stop. (so called noise that not even the occupants of the surrounding tents can hear). he proceeded then to intimidate us all nite, kicking our campfire down the river while leaving neighbouring campfires alite! We came to the conclusion that because we were 3 woman alone we were an easy target , in that there were no men to confront, other campers reckon he tried to make an example of us.The following morning we had people approach us commenting on his intimidating and unprovoked behaviour towards us. Almost everyone we spoke to said they would not return to this beautiful site because of the ill-mannered man on the moped, whose behaviour seemed to get more irratic as the weekend went on. he shouted at children for cycling their bikes and abruptly told many parents that they should get their kids to bed or remove themselves from the site, this was at a reasonable hour of 10pm and towards families where the kids were sitting toasting marshmellows by the campfire.
Myself and my friends would love to get a contact number for the actual owners of the site as im sure they need to be informed about this man who is clearly robbing them of business and upsetting their valued customers.
We made our views known to the man on the moped the morning we were departing to which he admitted we were not out of order in anyway but said that simply talking noise travels because of the river.( the river actually drowns out any murmurs around).
The man in question who refers to himself as the "owner" stated in a previous reply to a review which complained about the digger noise that no noise from the camp field can be heard across the river where the campervans are, but yet contradicted his statement by telling us our voices travelled across the river.
The situation of the campsite is superb with fabulous surroundings and a soothing river, the facilities are very good and clean. When we were there it was busy but not overcrowded in the camping field. The ground is very bad for pitching, being very stoney and the soil very sandy which did not hold the pegs well, but luckily we didnt get much wind or else we would have taken off!
Unfortunatly the staff completly obliterate all the beauty of this site, making the stay uncomfortable, uneasy and downright horrible. He should be charged with intimidation, with his lurking in the dark with no warning to his approach, it was all quite scary. I am glad our children were not with us for this experience as i dont think they would feel comfortable or safe enough to sleep in a tent with this man creeping around in the dark.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank spugy80

These 3 girls kept the entire campsite awake until the guards were called at 2 a.m. We do not tolerate people staying up all night long drinking and shouting and disturbing the entire campsite and houses nearby. They are not allowed back to our site or our sister park.

We are a family park and we cater for families with young children. It is in everyone’s best interest to have a noise curfew on the park so that families can get a good night’s rest while being able to enjoy the park facilities during the day.

Everyone on the campsite was glad to see them go.

Reviewed 8 June 2010

..I just spent two nights in Hidden Valley over the last weekendwith my wife, two kids and some friends and their children. The weather, for the most part, was fantastic and the location and ambiance added to it. My son said it was "the best holiday ever" even though we were just down the road from where we live in Dublin and it was just long weekend break (the first and certainly not the last) at Hidden Valley. While it is still being upgraded with work on the "beach" on the turn by the weir and the waterpark still being tended to, there was plenty to do whilst the weather was good, loads of hot water and no issues at all with sanitary/washing facilities even though it was at full capacity due to the long weekend,and whilst we left a little early due to rain we are already looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank PlutoDublin
Reviewed 28 May 2010

We have just returned from Hidden Valley Holiday Park and always like to write a review so that other potential campers can make a judgement whether to stay or not.

My girlfriend and I are serial travellers and have camped in many countries around the world. We definitely enjoyed our stay at HVHP but there were many things that we felt annoyed about and warranted a mention.

I have to state up front that the camping ground is currently under development (and not mentioned on their website) and (in our opinion) is some months away from being finished. The site was affected by the flooding in January and I believe the owners have been working tirelessly to get it open for the summer months. That said, we had to pitch our tent on very very stony loose soil and that mixed with Wicklow mountain rain made for a very dirty experience.

The campsite has a car park and you are not allowed to drive onto the camping ground. This is a big mistake and probably the one reason that I will not be staying at this site anytime soon. When we camp with tents, we bring everything but the kitchen sink, so having to cart this load 200 metres was not a joy. Like many other campers, we have quite a few gadgets that work of the car battery, including our blow up mattresses, so we were constantly back and forth to the car all weekend. When I asked why were not allowed to drive on the ground to unload, I was told by a very very rude man it was unsafe for the children, but that didn’t stop him touring the ground on his motorcycle…how condescending. It felt like I was being told off at school for asking a question. This guy needs to take a lesson in ‘how to deal with customers politely’ and bear in mind they are on holiday and don’t need attitude. Many of our neighbours had similar experiences dealing with this guy so we weren’t the only unhappy campers. If you are reading this review mr. attitude – take a chill pill before you give yourself a heart attack.

The camping ground has been awarded four stars. Yes if you are in a campervan, certainly not if you are pitching a tent – two stars would be more appropriate. This may change as the development work progresses.

We both felt that the attitudes of the owners (Molly and Harold, I think) were spot on (not the guy on the motorcycle). We’re not sure how long they’ve been running the site, but the developments that have been implemented were brilliant. I think over time this site will develop into a real gem for Wicklow and we wish them well. Unfortunately for us, it will be some time before we return.

Some further notes:

Positives:
• Very welcoming and friendly owners
• Clean and well maintained shower block and camping kitchen

Negatives:
• On day 1, the hot water in the toilet block was a hazard and could give 3rd degree burns (please lower the temperature)
• On the Second day, the hot water in the toilets and camping kitchen was not working
• No shop facility (an opportunity to make some revenue)
• €50 fine for no dog on a lead, €150 fine for fires lit too close to the ground and €300 fine for noise after 11pm. Could make for a very expensive camping weekend unless you are on your best behaviour

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
7  Thank thearchways
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I stayed here last Saturday with my partner. We had used the campsite before but not for about 2 years and knew that it had changed hands and from their website it looked like the place had some great work done.
My main observations are that there is still lots of work being done and I understand that this has to happen but I dont want to go camping to find a digger on site working away on a saturday while im trying to relax in the outdoors. I can stay in Dublin for this!
I also agree with a previous reviewer when he says that there is a staff member there who really could do with a little attitude adjustment. I saw 2 staff when there- one young lad who was really helpful and another man who rode around on his motorbike checking up etc...his manner was not the best! and i would not be in a rush to go back because of him.
I think some of the work they have finished is great-the shower block and campers kitchen looked great but didnt use them so cant make further comments.
Personally this site is no longer what i want when camping as they are building a huge play ground area and i prefer very quiet sites so it may well be when finished a wonderful place for people with children. I would have appreciated a heads up on the website as to the work in progress though.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
traveltheworld81, Owner at Hidden Valley Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2010

We are in the process of building a children's play area on site, which will be open towards the end of June. There is construction going on inside this area, however there is no construction on the campsite itself. The campsite is divided by the river. On the main side of the park there is no construction and you cannot hear any noise from the lads working during the day on the play area.

There was one weekend that we did not have hot water in the campers kitchen because we were in the process of installing solar panels. The solar panels are completely installed now!

Reviewed 5 May 2010

Hi ive just spent some time on this campsite and i have to say its not very nice ,well for me and my family and extended family it wasnt,the camp site is just being developed theres a lot of mud ,dirt, and unhappyness over this on the site campers are being put in a field away from everything the field is muddy and seed has just been sowed .we had paid for two nights and left on day two after a night there we were so happy to leave the place,there were constant problems with the showers and no hot water .and the outside kitchen is two hobs and four sinks and again there was no water coming out of the hot taps.ive stayed in many campsites over the years and i give this one a big thumbs down,and swear never to go back....{Dublin family}......

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank irishmancocavan
traveltheworld81, Owner at Hidden Valley Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2010

We are a bit surprised by this review. Are you sure you have the right campsite? All of our cabins have new beds, new sofas, new kitchen tables, new floors, etc. The cabins are beautiful inside and we've never had any complaints.

All of our staff are Irish and we have never employed any staff that weren't Irish. So again, are you sure you have the right campsite?

There are cycling paths in the area, including Avondale House and Glendalough. We also offer a cycling tour down the Sally Gap.

The water in the lake and river is brown because it's river water - we can't change that, however the water is clean and we swim in it all the time. As does everyone else on our site.

We are in the process of building a fun park on site, which will open at the end of June.