“Don't read the bad reviews. This place is amazing and we will return!”

Hidden Valley Holiday Park
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't read the bad reviews. This place is amazing and we will return!”
Reviewed 21 July 2010

My family has just returned from a week's holiday at Hidden Valley. We were not sure what to expect given the previous reviews on trip advisor, but we couldn't feel more opposite about the place. The staff welcomed us on arrival and were so helpful with recommendations of things to see and do. The park was very clean and there was always someone around cleaning something.

The park had great facilities compared to other parks we stayed at during our trip. The kids loved the boats on the lake and they couldn't get enough of the new fun park they have just built. We took advantage of their 7 for the price of 3 deal on the fun park because it was on offer (hint to the owners we would have paid the 5 euro per day). The kids spent all day in there and loved the extra football matches and games/activities they provided in the fun park with no extra cost. We were extremely happy with all the facilities and will highly recommend.

If you need anything at all, don't be afraid to ask reception because they will do anything for you.

1 Thank travelgirl77_10

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Be warned: the only playground on this site - no matter how much they talk it up - charges 5 euro per child per day!!! not a swing or slide available for free. was shocked at the meanness of this. A group of about 40 or 50 Filipinos arrived during the day, and when i asked the owner were they all together in a group, he said they come down most weekends. Again - be warned... they put on a cd in one of their tents blasting out popsongs on repeat till 9pm that night, and back on again the next morning, and set up a communal kitchen in the centre of the campsite. obviously money speaks louder than other campers' comfort to these owners. NEVER GOING BACK!!!
The grass is sparse, mucky and extremely stony. The 'canopy of our forest' is about 8 fir trees in a row at one side of the field. As for their invite to light a campfire near the river, there are signs posted that you are charged 150 euros if you light it on grass, despite the fact there is a 45% angle on the bank of the river. While i'm at it, the wooden bridge appears to be rotting, bit scary. My neighbours on one side chatted noisily till ten past 3am, no night patrol, probably because there was torrential rain. Phew! Go to Fethard-on-Sea in Wexford instead, that's my recommendation.
Camping Mom

1 Thank CampingMam
carlow
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Firstly the facilities ( water, electric, level hard standing for campers) are excellent, the toilet block, laundry, campers kitchen are all excellent, better than most campsites. There has obviously been a lot of money spent doing the job to a very high standard. It was a pitty that the same high standard of cleaning the toilet/shower facilities was not visible. We arrived on a very busy weekend, there seemed no spaces available and very little room between pitches. We paid 35 euro for two adults and two children and another 5 euro per child per day to use the playground. There was also a lake with kayaks and rowing boats which were another 2 - 5 euro per boat. We felt that the playground charge was overpriced in the extreme. They call it an adventure playground but infact it is a playground for smaller children, two small slides and a stream ( which they call a lazy river) . Its all nicely done but any decent family campsite includes a decent playground for children without charging extra. The playground of most campsites is the area where children congregate and make friends, a place where they can come and go, free of charge, where parents meet and chat. The only thing parents in the playground were talking about was there dislike of being ripped off.
I wish the campsite well, the standard of facilities is great but we will not return because of the overcrowding, dirty toilet block and most especially paying to use a playground.

1 Thank Mybace
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We just returned from a weekend camping at Hidden Valley with our kids. Our kids couldn't stop smiling and neither could we. They have a small boating lake that our two couldn't get enough of. We took advantage of their double kayaks and had races around the island. The fun park on site is brand new and very reasonable. For 5 euros the kids were entertained all day inside the park. They had football matches that our boys participated in each day and can't wait to go back to play again. The lazy river was also a hit - the kids brought home their tubes and have them waiting at the door for next weekend. The campsite was very busy, however at night it was quiet which we loved. We will be back again - next weekend if my kids have anything to say about it. As my kid's said - this place is the best!

Reviewed 17 July 2010

I visited this campsite in june of this year with my young family. On first impressions from looking at the website it looked like a really nice campsite. It looked fabulous, but on arriving at this site, it was quite the complete opposite.

The river which is pictured on the homepage of thier website is extremely disappointing in real life. I had been told there was bad flooding last year and that the campsite was completely flooded. This alarmed me as we where traveling with our caravan and it was lashing rain when we arrived. The river appeared to be undergoning some building work and it was quite dangerous. I was looking forward to some fishing as it had said on the website that there was fishing facilites. These are non- existant and when I approached the receiptionist malley, i was told that fishing was forbidden as due to the flooding last year, there where no fish. What a dissappointment..... My three children could not play in the playground, as it was a complete mess of diggers, lorries and topled over trees. It was even open as per their website it was meant to be open but wasn't. And as for a cafe. That was a complete joke. Its a chippy van at the carpark for the tents? It was terribly overpriced and the food was not nice at all.

On sitting outside our van one night, my wife and i where enjoying a quiet drink and a tall skiny man jumped from behind our van and shone torches into our faces and told us not to be making noise. How can two people make noise i ask you? My wife was extremely upset and when i went to the reception the next day, i was told if i did not like it we were to leave.

Thats exactly what we did. Having spent 3 nights there we were extremely disappointed at the way we had been treated. We were totally misled on their website and we are absolutely disgusted to say the least at the way this site has been portrayed to us.

Our advice is no matter what they say don't visit this campsite, go visit for yourself and you will see what we mean.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank happinluv
Dublin
Reviewed 12 July 2010

This was our second time here,the last time i felt the only thing missing was a playground for the kids,but that has all changed they have put in not just a playground but a mimi adventure playground.It only opened on friday the 9th july and a big credit to barry and his son eric they remembered us being there before and welcomed us back and also where very friendly to our kids,there was 5 familys with us and once your not loud they don't seem to mind,I do know of people been asked to leave the site for the noise and i agree with this as you have to have respect for your fellow campers and its no fun when people are up till 4 in the morning keeping everyone up,the one thing i loved as well is they have opened a chipper van which everything was reasonable prices and taste great.definately a favourite with kids and parents we will be back......................

1 Thank familyguyDublin
Kilkenny Kat
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I have just returned from a caravan trip to Hidden Valley in Rathdrum. I was travelling with small children so I had called the park prior to my visit as I was alarmed by the reviews I had read about the 'really scary man'! I spoke to him and I found him very pleasant.
The amenities block was very clean and pleasant. Pitch sizes are very generous, plenty of room for a car and awning. The diner had lovely food and very quick service. (I refused to pay 30cent for ketchup - tell them to stop that - get some big bottles!) My children were too young for the kayaks but we took a boat trip and that was lovely. The boats are 2euro per person which can add up with a family of 5, perhaps a family boat for 5euro is a good idea. You can stay for an hour in the boat, but smalll children only want about 10mins at any one time.
Location was great, we made some short day trips and the owner was very helpful with directions and recommendations etc. I also ran out of gas and he gave me some to keep me going until I got a refill. I was very grateful.
There is an 11 oclock curfew and we were ok with that. We watched tv after that and there was no problem. We had some noisy neighbours and they were approached in a very professional manner and asked to keep it down. I was very appreciative of that as the noise was beginning to frighten the children.
If I have one complaint about the park it is the quality of the grass! I know it was flooded last year and they are doing a lot of work on it but it is quite mucky and stoney. The chilren were filthy all the time - unnecessarily so! Perhaps you could start reseeding the pitches with some good quality soil in the autumn!!
The playground is opening this week so I cannot comment on that other than to say that it looks fabulous. I would recommmend this park but bring plenty of clean clothes for children!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathdrum
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
Ballinahoun House
Ballinahoun House
#3 of 14 in Gorey
Powerscourt Hotel, Autograph Collection

Been to Hidden Valley Holiday Park? Share your experiences!